The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

+20
Plunky
JDizzle
BlueCoverman
Davie
superflyweight
LadyPutt
McLaren
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
sirbenson
robopz
kouchi
incontinentia
super_realist
pedro
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
beninho
Shotrock
GPB
24 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 20 Empty PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by GPB Mon 03 Aug 2020, 1:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

PGATour Running Commentary- Aug 2020

1. Last week:  Justin Thomas overcame a 4 shot deficit to win the WGC-FEDEX St Jude by three shots over a four players of Tom Lewis, Daniel Berger, Phil Mickelson and Brooks Koepka   Richie Werenski won the Barracuda event, by one point over Troy Merritt.

2. After he won the Memorial, Jon Rahm took the #1 OWGR ranking from Rory, and now after winning the FEDEX, Justin Thomas took the #1 spot.  

3. This week is the PGA Championship, with most of the OWGR Top 100 players in the field.  The tournament venue is at Harding Park, which has hosted two WGC tournaments in the last 20 years.  Here are some finishes by players in this years field:  Woods (1), Garcia (3), Stenson (3), GMac (6), Furyk (15)Poulter (18), Mickelson (29), Scott (29), ZJohnson (43),  The Match play was played at Harding Park in 2015, won by Rory, beating Woodland in finals.  Players advancing to the Round of 16, include Willett, Furyk, Casey, Oosty, Fleetwood, Fowler, Hideki, and Leishman.

4. Only two more tournaments to qualify for the FEDEX playoffs, some notable players that are currently inside the Top 125, but probably have not clinched a spot in the Northern Trust (Tom Lewis (#117), Russell Knox (#120,  Paul Casey (#121), Charl Schwartzel (#123).  Some players just barely outside the Top 125 include Nick Watney, Zach Johnson, Matt Wallace, Shane Lowry, RCB, Sergio, and Justin Rose. Some players that need a big week to get inside the Top 125 include Willett, Dufner, Power, Walker, Stenson

GPB

pedro and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 20 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by LadyPutt Sat 28 Nov 2020, 4:54 pm

GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:The point I was trying to make before you started waving your flag so defensively was that so many tournaments in America especially are just incredibly boring, paint by numbers and very similar to the one the week before.
You really can't take any criticism of your country, tour, players, Hall of Fame etc can you?

For what it's worth there are boring tournament in Europe too, but I believe a greater diversity of course, weather, country etc which is what makes it, in terms of venues at least if not quality of golf  potentially a more interesting tour to watch ( if it had PGA standard players within it.)

Super, your jingoistic and xenophobic opinions are well documented here on this board and your pathetic attempts to cast those aspersions towards me are laughable and ultra transparent.

Can any course in the USA beat Leopard Creek for spectacular scenery? And Crans Montana? I’ll take then over American courses any day!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 20 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by super_realist Sat 28 Nov 2020, 6:37 pm

GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:The point I was trying to make before you started waving your flag so defensively was that so many tournaments in America especially are just incredibly boring, paint by numbers and very similar to the one the week before.
You really can't take any criticism of your country, tour, players, Hall of Fame etc can you?

For what it's worth there are boring tournament in Europe too, but I believe a greater diversity of course, weather, country etc which is what makes it, in terms of venues at least if not quality of golf  potentially a more interesting tour to watch ( if it had PGA standard players within it.)

Super, your jingoistic and xenophobic opinions are well documented here on this board and your pathetic attempts to cast those aspersions towards me are laughable and ultra transparent.

Like so many other words you don't understand what xenophobic means at all.
I referred specifically to how boring many (but not all) PGA events are, you don't have to agree with me, but it's not being xenophobic. Do you seriously disagree that many American tour stops are dog tracks and as boring as a Tiger Woods interview?

super_realist

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 29 Nov 2020, 1:30 am

LadyPutt wrote:
Can any course in the USA beat Leopard Creek for spectacular scenery? And Crans Montana? I’ll take then over American courses any day!

Pebble Beach, Kapalua, Torrey Pines

PGATour used to have its own Mountain Course in the Colorado Rockies, Castle Pines, home of the former International tournament.

You won't see any regular PGATour events with powerlines in play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeBal_GEjNQ

GPB

JAS likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Sun 29 Nov 2020, 3:30 am

You’re not wrong there LP, Leopard Creek is a truly special place that’s almost impossible to explain just how idyllic a setting it is for golf.

I’m lucky enough to have friends that are members there that’ve take me (and others) as their guest a number of times including two trips from the club with 20 of us for a week. All in all, I must’ve played it close to 50 times and it never fails to make you feel like you’re in some sort of golfing paradise that’s almost too good to be true!!
I wouldn’t say it’s the greatest course you’ll ever see or that it’s on the level of those elite few that generally feature in the top positions of the various rankings out there, but when you factor in everything such as location, the clever routing to maximise the views of the game over crocodile river and the Kruger, not to mention the ridiculous practice facilities, accommodation and standard of service it’s got the lot.
I would urge anyone who is in SA once the world returns to normal to make the detour and treat themselves

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sun 29 Nov 2020, 11:07 am

TM2K wrote:You’re not wrong there LP, Leopard Creek is a truly special place that’s almost impossible to explain just how idyllic a setting it is for golf.

I’m lucky enough to have friends that are members there that’ve take me (and others) as their guest a number of times including two trips from the club with 20 of us for a week. All in all, I must’ve  played it close to 50 times and it never fails to make you feel like you’re in some sort of golfing paradise that’s almost too good to be true!!
I wouldn’t say it’s the greatest course you’ll ever see or that it’s  on the level of those elite few that generally feature in the top positions of the various rankings out there, but when you factor in everything such as  location, the clever routing to maximise the views of the game over crocodile river and the Kruger, not to mention the ridiculous practice facilities, accommodation and standard of service it’s got the lot.
I would urge anyone who is in SA once the world returns to normal to make the detour and treat themselves
It’s definitely on my bucket list if my Premium Bonds ever pay out more than £25! Your recommendation makes me even more determined to go one day.

Last edited by LadyPutt on Sun 29 Nov 2020, 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sun 29 Nov 2020, 11:11 am

GPB wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:

PGATour used to have its own Mountain Course in the Colorado Rockies, Castle Pines, home of the former International tournament.

Where’s the spectacular wildlife at those courses? And yes, the PGATour USED to have a mountain course. Does it now?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 29 Nov 2020, 1:57 pm

Barracuda is a mountain golf course.

You haven't seen the whales breach at Kapalua?

Deer, Seals, Otters are often featured at Pebble Beach

Alligators are often seen at Honda, TPC, Hilton Head, and New Orleans

I see Osprey fishing at TPC and Soft shells turtles.

Bighorn Sheep are seen at Palm Springs Tournament

A black bear was spotted at the Reno Tournament this year.  You can see the mountains in this video

https://www.ktvn.com/story/42439498/bear-wanders-onto-barracuda-championship-golf-course-in-truckee

I don't about you  but when I watch David Attenborough, I don't expect to a golf tournament to break out and when I watch golf, I don't  expect to go on a safari.

If watching wildlife is your criteria, let me recommend this website.  You can watch majestic wildlife LIVE from all over the world.  Bears, Elephants, Buffalo. They even have wildlife shelter cams where you can watch puppies and kittens if that floats your boat.

https://explore.org/livecams

GPB

Shotrock likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 29 Nov 2020, 5:44 pm

Ball goes TOO far.  Back when Harry Vardon and Ted Ray were relevant.

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/283fb6cfbf90dee969360199117658f5ac41dffa1e3b8e956267035cd961d941.png

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 30 Nov 2020, 6:36 pm

I've seen a lot of pigs, whales, walrus', hippopotamus and elephants in the crowds at PGA events, strange unnatural calls though, not something you hear in the wild.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 30 Nov 2020, 8:55 pm

You probably think you see a perfect specimen of a human being when you shave in the morning, too.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 01 Dec 2020, 10:43 am

GPB wrote:The low scores are residue

1. outstanding conditioning of courses
2. excellent playing conditions  (weather)
3. better players.  Yes any objective analysis of tournament results.  (DataGolf reports, Golfweek rankings, Mark Broadie published papers.

Last week, a 6x European Tour winner got his first Top 10 ever in a full field PGATour non-co-sanctioned event.  (Weisberger)

And FWIW.  I am NOT talking about American players vs European Players.  I am talking about the PGATour vs EuroTour.  The PGATour has many non-American players just as much as the European Tour has many non-European players

And FWIW.  
I get this, but shouldn't the game be about more than darts in benign sub-tropical sunshine? I know I'm tarring all venues the same, but the vagaries of weather have always been a part of what determines the best players. Yes, I know some venues have significant wind associated w/ them, but are they ever used that much?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 01 Dec 2020, 10:56 am

super_realist wrote:I've seen a lot of pigs, whales, walrus', hippopotamus and elephants in the crowds at PGA events, strange unnatural calls though, not something you hear in the wild.
Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 01 Dec 2020, 12:42 pm

GPB wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:

Having played all 3 of PB, TP and Kapalua I can't help but concur, some of the views at PB are just breathtaking then you go to Kapalua and it's another level in terms views and just the overall setting.

JAS

Shotrock, TM2K and GPB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 01 Dec 2020, 2:16 pm

Is it just me or has there been a lack of info on what exactly the PGAT/ET tie up is all about? Which is weird because there have been rumors of this sort of partnership for ever and even more so since covid put the ET under financial pressure. You would think the shape of a PGAT investment in the ET would be more clear at this point.

The most common story goes that the PGAT moved in to stop the ET and the PGL joining forces. I thought the PGL was dead long ago?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 01 Dec 2020, 2:26 pm

I agree with you. Here are some points I've picked up. The announcement was very short on detail. Robo or Prince Drac pointed out a blog by Alistair Tait which said that the ET didn't need the money and it was in good financial health - but it has just laid off nearly 70 people. So what happened there? I think the PGL is still lurking, I believe there is another Saudi tournament. Although the tie up might be beneficial for the elite ET players, there might be some difficulty for the lower players if they don't get access to lesser tournaments. (But as people keep saying, they should just play better.) PGA gets access to a lot more media outlets - the ET apparently broadcasts to 150 countries.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 01 Dec 2020, 2:35 pm

Sounds like a good thing to me. Even if a few tournaments attract a dozen or so PGA players it will improve the tour.

Mac, did you go to school in America? Your spelling is highly unusual.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 01 Dec 2020, 3:04 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

3. better players.  Yes any objective analysis of tournament results.  (DataGolf reports, Golfweek rankings, Mark Broadie published papers.

Last week, a 6x European Tour winner got his first Top 10 ever in a full field PGATour non-co-sanctioned event.  (Weisberger)

And FWIW.  I am NOT talking about American players vs European Players.  I am talking about the PGATour vs EuroTour.  The PGATour has many non-American players just as much as the European Tour has many non-European players

And FWIW.  
I get this, but shouldn't the game be about more than darts in benign sub-tropical sunshine? I know I'm tarring all venues the same, but the vagaries of weather have always been a part of what determines the best players. Yes, I know some venues have significant wind associated w/ them, but are they ever used that much?

Watching golf in bad weather simply is not interesting to me. Every golfer looks the same in dark Rain suits. They play (more) slowly. Fiddling with the umbrella while taking drops from casual water.

PGATour tries to optimize venues to be played with their best weather. so does the EuroTour. There is a reason they are playing events in South Africa and Australia and Dubai this month and not in Sweden, England and Germany. And the PGATour doesn't play in the northern climates in January through April.

NBS, do you think golf course should intentionally make the courses in were shape? Not wat the tees, fairways and greens? Maybe they should vert-cut the greens right before the tournament. Perhaps aerate? Not apply chemicals to the fairways so they are spotty and full of weeds and fungi? Not sharpen the mower blades. Many they should roundup all the neighborhood dogs and let them loose to dig up the bunkers. Reductio ad absurdum

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 01 Dec 2020, 3:27 pm

Who said the weather had to be bad or that the course had to be in bad condition? Just different would be good. How about a bone dry course like a British links in summer? How about a bit of wind? How about a soggy course with no run? How about something other than constant sunshine?

There's enough weather diversity in 'Murica not to have these identikit tournament conditions the majority of the time.

I'll chalk up recuctio absurdum as yet another term you don't understand as Navy didn't even imply he wanted anything like the conditions that you put forward.
If anyone is being absurd, you are.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 01 Dec 2020, 4:03 pm

What is it about

"but shouldn't the game be about more than darts in benign sub-tropical sunshine? "

That you don't understand?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 01 Dec 2020, 4:03 pm

GPB wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

And FWIW.  

Watching golf in bad weather simply is not interesting to me.  Every golfer looks the same in dark Rain suits.  They play (more) slowly. Fiddling with the umbrella while taking drops from casual water.

PGATour tries to optimize venues to be played with their best weather.  so does the EuroTour.  There is a reason they are playing events in South Africa and Australia and Dubai this month and not in Sweden, England and Germany.  And the PGATour doesn't play in the northern climates in January through April.

NBS, do you think golf course should intentionally make the courses in were shape?  Not wat the tees, fairways and greens?  Maybe they should vert-cut the greens right before the tournament.  Perhaps aerate?  Not apply chemicals to the fairways so they are spotty and full of weeds and fungi? Not sharpen the mower blades.  Many they should roundup all the neighborhood dogs and let them loose to dig up the bunkers.  Reductio ad absurdum
I don't entirely disagree re. everyone in full rain suit attire. I didn't mean every event should be played in a howling sou'westerly w/ horizontal rain.

Headscratch I'm not sure why you would extrapolate that I wouldn't want courses maintained to a high standard. That's not what I was implying at all.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Tue 01 Dec 2020, 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 01 Dec 2020, 4:05 pm

GPB wrote:What is it about

"but shouldn't the game be about more than darts in benign sub-tropical sunshine? "

That you don't understand?

Dunno. Think that quote section is pretty clear. It doesn't mean I think that playing in an untended cow field during a typhoon should be the aim.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 01 Dec 2020, 4:21 pm

FWIW, there is typically wind at Hawaii venues, and the South Florida courses.

There isn't any climate + soil in America that allow for the British Links conditions. And technically, the Eurotour typically only plays that once a year. And it not in July, it is in October. The Open Championship is not under the EuroTour umbrella it is an R/A event.

And remember, just like the English Language, Americans didn't invent golf, we perfected it. steam drumroll Run Run

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 01 Dec 2020, 4:38 pm

NBS

I am just saying the Tour schedules events to take optimize the chances that the weather will be best possible. under the constraints of playing all over a very large country with varied climates.

The courses are prepped to be in peak physical condition. With state of the art agronomy and maintenance equipment. The Tour, the Sponsors, the host course want to present a venue that is the best possible condition. So they are going to apply chemicals, irrigate to make that happen.

GPB

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 01 Dec 2020, 4:52 pm

GPB wrote:FWIW, there is typically wind at Hawaii venues, and the South Florida courses.

There isn't any climate + soil  in America that allow for the British Links conditions. And technically, the Eurotour typically only plays that once a year.  And it not in July, it is in October.  The Open Championship is not under the EuroTour umbrella it is an R/A event.

And remember, just like the English Language, Americans didn't invent golf, we perfected it. steam drumroll Run Run

A "wind" in an American golf tournament is about 10 mph which is like cough from an asthmatic pensioner. Why not take more tournaments to say Chicago at certain times of the year?
As for the European Tour on links we have Irish Open, Scottish Open, Dunhill Links, The Open and sometimes there is a tournament in the Netherlands which is played on a Links course. There has also been the Paul Lawrie Matchplay played on links.
America could get links conditions at two of Brandon's courses, Kiawah or Highland Links if it wanted a bit more variety.

super_realist

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 01 Dec 2020, 4:54 pm

GPB wrote:FWIW, there is typically wind at Hawaii venues, and the South Florida courses.

There isn't any climate + soil  in America that allow for the British Links conditions. And technically, the Eurotour typically only plays that once a year.  And it not in July, it is in October.  The Open Championship is not under the EuroTour umbrella it is an R/A event.

It's more than once a year, There's the Scottish Open, the Dunhill links, the Irish Open alternates between links and non-links and the British Masters had a go at Links as well when Fleetwood took them to Hillside a couple of years ago.

I think it is good to see a bit of variety, yes it would be a drudge to see tour event windswept and drenched every week. I remember one year at Kapalua the trades really really blew and thought it was highly entertaining watching the pro's trying to cope. Aye...take your trackman into a wind tunnel to practice for that!!

Also to be fair 2-3 years ago there was an abnormally high amount of Monday finishes on the PGATour so they don't always benefit from a "weather optimised" schedule.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 01 Dec 2020, 4:58 pm

I see you can type faster than me Supes, basically saying the same thing. Good shout on Bandon although I suspect it's a bit too remote for the tour.

GBP is right about Hawaii though, when the Tradewinds really get up they are fierce, 30mph wind in 80 deg F does feel pretty odd though

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 01 Dec 2020, 5:24 pm

Remote for the tour, but they have an event in Hawaii? Mmm. Can't get much more remote than that so I'm not buying that as excuse. They also play in Bermuda which isn't exactly convenient.

I'd like to see the fat knackers sweat in the Desert a bit too plenty good courses in Arizona which would make things a bit more difficult for the heavier guys.

super_realist

super_realist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 01 Dec 2020, 5:28 pm

Bandon Dunes doesn't have the infrastructure for a PGATour event.

This might come as a shock, but not all premium courses want to host a PGATour event every year. There have to jump through a lot of hoops and the stakeholders might not want to give up their course for the week of the tournament. Kiawah is bed with the PGAofA, not the PGATour.

Chicago has an event nearly every year.

And I wonder when the last time a player on the PGATour hit over hanging Electrical Line like Matt Wallace did in the Italian Open a few weeks ago.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 01 Dec 2020, 5:29 pm

I'm aware Chicago has an event, I'm just questioning that it could have it at a time when the winds play more of a part.

I didn't claim that Bandon wanted a tournament, but you claimed there was no course which can play like a links course in the US. I was just pointing out that wasn't true. Having driven past Bandon, it's not that hard to get to. Pretty bloody easy in fact. No worse than getting to Carnoustie and that holds a major so there's another of your excuses shot down.

As for having to play over an electricity cable. Who cares? It's one hole on the entire bloody tour on one particular year.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 01 Dec 2020, 5:47 pm

"...I'm just questioning that it could have it at a time when the winds play more of a part...."

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Maybe the PGATour can contact to a potential James Bond super-villain that a has a huge mega-fan and set it up each week to blow a wind at 25 mph.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 01 Dec 2020, 8:35 pm

Bandon not hard to get to? That would be the primary reason the US PGA or the USGA would eliminate that course from contention. And for any regular stop, where sponsors want a local gate, it would be even more amplified.

Comparing it to Carnoustie, which has a long history and tradition for the Open Championship is not really apt, IMO.

Whenever I think a trip to Bandon would be worthwhile, I always prefer the real thing. For me, it's easier to get to many a great European Links course (particularly Ireland which is chock full of links courses) than it is to get to Bandon.

But one interesting link-ish course I've played is NGLA (right next to Shinnecock).

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 01 Dec 2020, 9:25 pm

"...Having driven past Bandon, it's not that hard to get to. Pretty bloody easy in fact."

No one said it is hard to get to. Its not hard, especially with the network of roads in the USA. It just takes awhile. There is a not a town of significant size within 100 miles of Bandon.

There is certainly no passenger train service from Portland to Bandon like there is from Carnoustie to Edinborough. And last time I checked 75 miles is a lot shorter than 140 miles, and a lot of shorter than 240 miles. (but I haven't checked lately)

Bandon Dunes is 240 miles from Portland and a major International Airport (4+ hr drive)

Bandon Dunes is 140 miles from Eugene Oregon (college town) and a regional Airport.

and FWIW, Hawaii (and Honolulu) is a long time tourist destination and a cosmopolitan town with a international airport with incoming direct flights from all over the USA, Canada, Asia and Australia. Portland has international non-stop flights to a few cities in Canada.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 01 Dec 2020, 9:46 pm

A 4+ hour drive after a cross country flight is not easy for me! It's easier to me to take a flight from Philly to Shannon overnight and then play golf the next morning. And last time I flew into London for a golf trip I was standing on the first tee at Sunningdale (Old) in less than an hour after I pulled out of the airport.

Shotrock

TM2K likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 01 Dec 2020, 10:19 pm

Shotrock,

anyone thinks that Bandon is easy to get to either has not been there, was on some sort of pharmaceutical, or had use of Star Trek's transporter. (Beam me Up Scottie)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 02 Dec 2020, 6:52 am

GPB wrote: "...I'm just questioning that it could have it at a time when the winds play more of a part...."

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Maybe the PGATour can contact to a potential James Bond super-villain that a has a huge mega-fan and set it up each week to blow a wind at 25 mph.

How is that ridiculous! Chicago has seasonal wind. That's why it's called the windy city.

On driving 2,3 or 4 hours , we're constantly told by Yanks that this is just like popping down the shops.

By the way, where the hell is Edinborough? Don't try and give me a geography lesson then do that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 02 Dec 2020, 11:25 am

super_realist wrote:Remote for the tour, but they have an event in Hawaii? Mmm. Can't get much more remote than that so I'm not buying that as excuse. They also play in Bermuda which isn't exactly convenient.

I'd like to see the fat knackers sweat in the Desert a bit too plenty good courses in Arizona which would make things a bit more difficult for the heavier guys.

As others have indicated, there's remote and there's remote. Kapalua is 45 mins from an international airport at Kahalui and has a significant hotel/resort infrastructure nearby. Yes it's a 5 hour flight from the main land (West Coast) but the following event (The Sony) is Honolulu based (20 minute flight from Kahalui) and a major US city. Most that do Kapalua do both and many take their families and make a holiday (sorry vacation) of the trip.

Bermuda? never been but I'd guess 2-3 hour flight from any major Eastern seaboard city and 5-10 minutes in an airport taxi?

Bandon is 4 hours drive away from a decent sized airport and pretty much minimal resort infrastructure in the area.

btw I did laugh when I saw Edinborough, knew that would trigger you :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 02 Dec 2020, 12:07 pm

GPB wrote:Shotrock,

anyone thinks that Bandon is easy to get to either has not been there, was on some sort of pharmaceutical, or had use of Star Trek's transporter.  (Beam me Up Scottie)

I did do some initial research as was thinking about a trip there for my 60th but the time & cost of it was just too off-putting. Certainly don't think I'd muster together enough of my normal playing group and other golf mates to make a decent sized party.

As it is, assuming Brexit doesn't screw things up, I'm going for an N.I. trip to do RCD & RP and a quiet night out in Belfast.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 02 Dec 2020, 12:49 pm

super_realist wrote:

By the way, where the hell is Edinborough? Don't try and give me a geography lesson then do that.

I thought you claimed to live there?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 02 Dec 2020, 1:50 pm

JAS - I concur. The professional at my club does a trip with members to Bandon each year. Every report I hear is that they have a fantastic time ... but it is NOT cheap. Same for Streamsong and Kohler resorts. Bring plenty of cash.

I prefer and now have a group of friends in the UK so every other year we meet up ... one year in the US, one year in the UK. We play fantastic courses and have a lot of fun. By last count, we've done Scotland once, Ireland twice and the London area twice. This year was bummer and I'm hoping with the help of the vaccine we can get back on track.

In the states, if you ever get invited to Secession (South Carolina), Whisper Rock (Arizona) or Pine Valley (New Jersey), I recommend you immediately take out your credit card and book your flights. They are that good.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 02 Dec 2020, 5:20 pm

Re: Edinborough .... "Autocorrect"

Seasonal wind? From what part of your bum did you drag that? Yes it is the windy city but BFD.  The winds are mainly in the winter and chances are that courses have a coating of snow.

"...On driving 2,3 or 4 hours , we're constantly told by Yanks that this is just like popping down the shops...."

do you got a Citation for that?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 03 Dec 2020, 5:31 pm

Andy Sullivan leading the EuroTour event after 36 holes in Dubai after shooting 61-66. 17 under par.

this must one of those interesting Tournaments that Super likes to watch.

Why don't they play these events in the Middle East in July!

-------

https://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.php?t=69920

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20