The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The summer of cricket 2020

+11
eirebilly
AlciG
Soul Requiem
alfie
Gooseberry
guildfordbat
Duty281
Dolphin Ziggler
Good Golly I'm Olly
king_carlos
GSC
15 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

The summer of cricket 2020 - Page 10 Empty The summer of cricket 2020

Post by GSC Fri 21 Aug 2020, 6:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

A very strong position for England with runs on the board and a series lead in hand.

Pakistan going to have to produce something special from here to rescue the series
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

The summer of cricket 2020 - Page 10 Empty Re: The summer of cricket 2020

Post by alfie Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:21 pm

Now 54 off 6. If these two stay in they do it easily. But not a lot to follow - Billings , OK : but Moeen in no sort of form so just Curran and Jordan really.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:27 pm

Morgan laying waste to the Pakistani bowling attack. Almost as brutal as Pollard's knock in the Caribbean T20 league yesterday.

England should win at a canter from here.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:28 pm

Morgan in terrific form...can hit it for miles when he's in this mood thumbsup

Of course on another day he might well have been given lbw for a duck : on such fine (umpires call) lines do matches turn.

Just need 34 off five overs now. Pakistan in dire need of some magic...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:31 pm

The white ball batting depth is just ludicrous
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:35 pm

Duty281 wrote:Morgan laying waste to the Pakistani bowling attack. Almost as brutal as Pollard's knock in the Caribbean T20 league yesterday.

England should win at a canter from here.

Yes they're going to do it with overs to spare ! Heck of a partnership , this. Morgan immense ; but Malan isn't messing about either.

Thought it was a very good batting pitch ; but the England bats have made the chase look far easier than I'd have thought possible.

Late twist ? Morgan holes out for 66...

But surely only Surrey could mess it up from here Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:36 pm

Morgan goes for 66 off 33, fantastic match-winning innings. clap

(Barring a sudden and total collapse)

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:42 pm

Poor Moeen Sad

Can't take a trick. Pops a dolly catch straight to the mid wicket . Wasn't even a good ball. Why they sent him in ahead of Billings is beyond me...

Just had (have) to push singles. But it's down to the last two overs ...which seemed unlikely ten minutes ago.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:43 pm

Moeen's dismissal was err like everything you guys have been saying about him and his form.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:48 pm

Moeen still looks shot to pieces and I still see no future for him in any England side.

Malan's played a good hand. Struggled early on, but battled through to a quiet fifty.

Overall, a great, confident chase from England. Comfortably home with an over to spare...or not as Billings chips to a fielder with one left! At least Malan gets to hit the winning run.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:50 pm

Five wicket win with five balls to spare thumbsup

Malan saw them home nicely - well played he.

They'll take that.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:51 pm

Root hit 64 for Yorkshire today, off 40 balls...but difficult to see where he slots into England's T20 XI owing to the phenomenal depth in the batting ranks.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:54 pm

Yes I'm quite sad watching Moeen struggling like this... Bowled rubbish too , in the one over he was entrusted with. He's been a wonderful player but seems completely lost now.

Kinder surely to release him back to the county game ? He's just banging his head against a metaphorical wall at the moment. Lord knows what the Australians would do to him if they play him against them next month...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:59 pm

I wonder if Moeen went in when he did in the hope that he would be there at the end as England won and with a red ink by his name to boost his confidence? If so, it didn't work out that way as things for him went from bad to worse.

I don't know if he'll be able to come back but to stand a chance I believe he needs to come out for now.

A shame as I've been a supporter and an admirer of what he's brought to England in all formats.

Anyway, very fine hands played by Morgan and Malan for a side which - Moeen apart - appears to have plentiful self confidence and be thriving on it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 30 Aug 2020, 6:35 pm

It’s not too long ago he played a good hand in the T20s with the bat in SA - I wouldn’t write him off yet, but clearly needs to go away and gain some form/confidence again. I highly doubt we’ll be looking to end his international career (nor should we be looking too) - with the T20 World Cup in India on the horizon, and the lack of spin options behind him.

The bowling depth is a bit concerning - but then...is it? The batting is so stupidly good we can chase anything it seems!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 30 Aug 2020, 6:37 pm

Tend to think that Malan could be pretty useful in Australia next year, certainly has the temperament for international cricket and did pretty well there last time out.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 30 Aug 2020, 6:44 pm

Yeah Mo cant have complaints that he hasn't been given a chance, although only bowling one over was maybe a touch harsh on him. His good games of cricket in any format internationally and domestically are pretty sparse over the past 18 months plus, its not like this is a recent thing. Others have come in just as cold and performed.

There is a glaring lack of other spin options in Englands squad though, so I fancy he will get the third game. Also notable the "first reserve" spin option is another leggie, the injured Parkinson. There just isn't another full time spinner in the immediate radar, the nearest being Dawson and Livingstone in the extended training squad. Given all the talk of young players opportunities to stake a claim I cant help wondering where the external pressure on Mo is actually going to come from. Its not like they can get away with playing just one slow bowler in a T20 world cup in India. Every other position has real competition.

Soul ...its India first the Aus in 2022

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 30 Aug 2020, 6:50 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
The bowling depth is a bit concerning - but then...is it? The batting is so stupidly good we can chase anything it seems!

Is it? Woakes Stokes, Wood, Archer, Willey didn't play in this one, and Rashid is as good as any other leg spinner out there. Currans not been playing great in these games but hes done well previously, Mahmoods hardly terrible and Jordan has been a proven performer in recent years. Id say they have as much depth as anyone in the seam department. I really only see the second spinner spot as a worry.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 30 Aug 2020, 6:50 pm

Goose

I was talking about the Ashes series in Australia next year.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 30 Aug 2020, 9:13 pm

Checking Mos record in T20is his bowling has been absolutely shocking in recent times. Since 2018 hes only managed one game with an economy under 10, and taken just 2 wickets at an average of 99. Batting wise just twice into double figures in that period. Admittedly like most players he hasn't had that many matches, but his figures internationally don't match his performance in last years blast final.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 31 Aug 2020, 4:04 am

If he is given just one over on a pitch that suited spin more than pace there seems little point in retaining Moeen as a second spinner for the third game.
Why not just pick another batsman and let Gregory and Malan fill in the overs ? Or draft in Dawson if he's in the squad bubble ?

If they do play him and he makes a match winning fifty I will of course disclaim the above comment Smile

But I can't see it.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 31 Aug 2020, 9:37 am

Topley released by England to play for Surrey at Kent tomorrow.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 31 Aug 2020, 6:24 pm

Alfie that's fine for the shirt term but it still leaves ebgland a glaring gap. Its generally accepted for most picthes around the world youd want two spin options, and ideally a pair that move the ball in opposite directions to cope with left/right handers.
Malan also doesnt answer the issue as hes very much a part time bowler and another leggie.

The nearest thing to another spin they have in the immediate squad is livingstone who's a reserve. This is why I expect Mo to get the third game and another opportunity to play his way back in.

England are treating this series as a bit of a development opportunity to put pressure on the core squad which would bassicly have been the 50 over world cup squad plus Malan and Jordan. It really strikes me that when you look at the wider white ball training squad they really don't have options to replace Mo. Parkinson is the only real other spinner, and he's a Rashid back up ( and now injured)

Looking at the Aus games they had a choice between continuing to hope Mo remembers how to play cricket, rely on Root ( who at the moment is seventh choice batsman) or another very part time bowler ( Livingstone) or just have only legspin or Dawson who they already decided seceral times isn't good enough.

Its not even like there's obvious solutions being ignored. The blast hasn't exactly been overflowing with succesful English offspinners. Dom Bess has only played 8 T20s and with dreadful results.

So Mo continues to be backed. No call up for Dawson. Livingstone stays a reserve. Parkison is still injured. No left field bolter from the blast. An no Root either somewhat surprisingly. Denly is in but surely noones going to pick him and again is a part time leggie rather than an offspinner to give variety.

Woakes getting left out hasnt made the headline but surprises me too, guess there's only so many right armers they can pick and they want the out and out pace, but this also means Gregory is ahead of him as the Stokes reserve allrounder. Sam Curran in as the left armer over Willey which seems rough, but again only so many players they can pick in each role.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 31 Aug 2020, 6:38 pm

Hi Alfie and Goose - Dawson has recently undergone surgery for a ruptured Achilles and will be out for a while.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 31 Aug 2020, 7:14 pm

T20 and ODI squads for Australia.

BBC wrote:T20 squad: Eoin Morgan (captain), Moeen Ali, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow, Tom Banton, Sam Billings, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Tom Curran, Joe Denly, Chris Jordan, Dawid Malan, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood. Reserves: Liam Livingstone, Saqib Mahmood

ODI squad: Eoin Morgan (captain), Moeen Ali, Jofra Archer, Jonny Bairstow, Tom Banton, Sam Billings, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Tom Curran, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood. Reserves: Joe Denly, Saqib Mahmood

Other than Stokes and Roy being unavailable that T20 squad must be pretty near what the selectors would have been eyeing for the World Cup. I'm surprised Root is left out. Whilst not his best format he is versatile in being able to bat up and down the order, I'd have him as a batting reserve over Billings or Denly. Gregory dropping out entirely with Livingstone maintained in the reserves perhaps suggests the selectors have similar views to 606ers that Gregory isn't quite good enough with the ball to get in for his bowling but not quite consistent enough with the bat to feature in the top 6/7.

1.Buttler (wk) (vc)
2.Bairstow
3.Banton
4.Malan
5.Morgan (c)
6.Billings
7.Moeen
8.S Curran/Woakes
9.T Curran/Jordan
10.Rashid
11.Archer/Wood

I'd guess the T20 side will look something like that. On form Mo should definitely miss out but the coaches seem to be really keen to back him. If he wasn't a big part of the World Cup plans I'd presume he'd have been dropped by now. I do wonder if Sam Curran getting selected is a response to Moeen's poor form though. Perhaps there's a view that Woakes and Curran between them can offer the lower order striking that Mo did at his best.

Billings and Banton being in both squads with Stokes unavailable and Roy injured is a big vote of trust as first reserves for the top order (Banton) and middle order (Billings). Vince jettisoned and Malan once again overlooked for the ODI squad.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 31 Aug 2020, 7:17 pm

Matt Carter is a name to watch out for. Career economy of 7.09 in T20's, which is impressive given he plays half his games at Trent Bridge.

6'6 Offie. Similar style to Danny Briggs. Got Moeen out on finals day last year. Not a massive turned of the ball but tough to get away firing it in from that height.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 31 Aug 2020, 7:32 pm

Think it’s better for Root to be playing for Yorkshire in the blast, than carrying drinks for England, personally. He’s played so little T20 games, if he has serious ambitions of making the squad then playing is best.

I would have him in my squad, particularly in India. He was extremely good there in the last T20 World Cup.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 31 Aug 2020, 7:57 pm

Root’s knock vs SA in that WC was one of the best knocks in a T20i by and Englishman. Striking at over 200 iirc correctly too.

JDizzle

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 31 Aug 2020, 8:12 pm

JDizzle wrote:Matt Carter is a name to watch out for. Career economy of 7.09 in T20's, which is impressive given he plays half his games at Trent Bridge.

6'6 Offie. Similar style to Danny Briggs. Got Moeen out on finals day last year. Not a massive turned of the ball but tough to get away firing it in from that height.

I'm surprised that Danny Briggs' international ship seemed to sail years ago. However, and I was even more surprised to just read this on cricinfo, he's still only 29. With not too many knocking down the door (or even knocking on it) for that sort of role, he may merit reconsideration. His record at county level in the short formats is very impressive.

That said, I'm also happy to follow JD's lead and watch out for Carter. The little I've heard of him before has been positive but I don't really know much about him.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 31 Aug 2020, 10:44 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Hi Alfie and Goose - Dawson has recently undergone surgery for a ruptured Achilles and will be out for a while.

Thanks for this Guildford - horrible injury this, and the timing couldn’t really be any worse for him (you’d think he would have got a game or two with Moeen’s lack of form). What a shame.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 01 Sep 2020, 4:30 am

guildfordbat wrote:Hi Alfie and Goose - Dawson has recently undergone surgery for a ruptured Achilles and will be out for a while.

Ah , thanks for that , Guildford : I had an idea Dawson had an injury problem but hadn't realised the severity of it...as you say , he's cooked for this year.

Goose , I take your point about the paucity of immediate alternatives (my suggestion of the part timers was really just meant for the one match) ; but have to raise a question . Does the fact that these "development" white ball series against Australia now contain no alternative to Moeen for the second spinner role imply that he then has to be selected for the winter trips to the subcontinent ? Even if his recent lamentable form continues ?

Because it seems to me that the failure to even look at any other option is placing all their eggs in one - currently rather wobbly - basket.

Of course you don't really need two spinners in England , as we saw (eventually) in the last World Cup . So Moeen could have been rested anyway ; but obviously trying to develop some other option(s) would be preferable. Clearly not the way Ed sees it... I just hope Mo gets back a semblance of form rather than ends up totally flattened by the ongoing battle.

I have no problem with Root sitting out the t20. The man needs the odd break from the international roundabout. And poor old David Willey might as well seek a few overseas contracts because it obviously doesn't matter what he does they are never going to pick him again unless everybody else is unavailable.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 01 Sep 2020, 9:25 am

Hi Alfie,

Yep your point there is rather the concern I was raising. England are somewhat backed into a corner in regard to Mo. Its either part time bowlers, no "moves it the other way option", find a player out of the blue, or hope Mo learns how to play again. If he doesn't start performing I guess they may look at playing two legspinners for the winter, they have Parkinson to come back and Crane did well with the Lions in Aus.

Do feel for Willey too, he did everything with the chances he was given, although it may not be the last of him. Curran didnt get the same chances in the ODIs as he was in the white ball bubble, so dependant on how he goes there may still be a spot for Willey. They will want a left arm option in the squad if someone justifies a place. I would say though that nothing in Currans T20 career exactly demands a place, its his weakest format on domestic figures, whereas Willey has a record that stacks up against anyone with the ball.

I do also wonder if Root being excluded is more about managing him and giving him a break form the international spotlight than it is the immediate future of the white ball team, and their view on the potential best squad. Its hard to see how anyone could think Denly is a better option, unless its to try the two legspinners? That seems a stretch though. Billings also especially if he isn't the reserve keeper, I suppose he has had a good return this summer and fills the finishers spot but still. Root playing would have stuck him right under the pressure spotlight too in a period when he seems to have been focused on captaincy to the detriment of his batting. Going and playing away from the spotlight near his family does make sense for him to feel his way back in, also means he will start games.

But then theres Livingstone who might have been the option to replace Mo, again just sat keeping the bench warm and carrying drinks again. Tough summer for him.

Anyway seems we have gone in the space of a day from saying England have no bowlers to wondering how they can afford to leave some out whilst also questioning if they could have included another bat. It really is just that second spinner they have an issue with.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 01 Sep 2020, 1:58 pm

I suspect he will return at the top of the order for the T20s, but I would like to have seen Buttler coming back in as the finisher option. Just feel he adds more to the team (vs the alternatives) lower down than opening.

Roy and Bairstow are just as explosive at the top (as is Hales if he is ever forgiven) and Banton looks better suited to that position (rather than No6 where he was in the ODIs in the winter).

For me a top five for this upcoming T20 series of Banton, Bairstow, Malan, Morgan & Buttler could be exceptional.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 01 Sep 2020, 2:21 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I suspect he will return at the top of the order for the T20s, but I would like to have seen Buttler coming back in as the finisher option. Just feel he adds more to the team (vs the alternatives) lower down than opening.

Roy and Bairstow are just as explosive at the top (as is Hales if he is ever forgiven) and Banton looks better suited to that position (rather than No6 where he was in the ODIs in the winter).

For me a top five for this upcoming T20 series of Banton, Bairstow, Malan, Morgan & Buttler could be exceptional.

The Buttler opening vs finishing debate is a fascinating one. If he comes off at the top of the order then you pretty much win the game. In a tight finish he can turn a tough chase into a cake walk though.

I expect most will say I'm overthinking things, and I probably am, but I'd consider having him open when England bat first but come in lower down when chasing. This England side in ODI cricket have favoured chasing when winning the toss I believe. With that ridiculous batting power basically just daring the opposition to score enough that England won't chase it basically! Buttler in the finishing role has been integral to that strength finishing chases off.

Batting first: 1.Buttler 2.Roy 3.Bairstow 4.Morgan 5.Stokes 6.Malan/Banton/Root
Chasing: 1.Bairstow 2.Roy 3.Malan/Banton/Root 4.Morgan 5.Stokes 6.Buttler

My views there are also a reason I like Root as an option in the T20i side. I think he's good up and down the order which can work well with Buttler and Stokes being versatile. Banton and Malan on the other hand I think are much better in the top 3 than they are lower down.

Morgan's exceptional form recently makes this debate a lot easier too of course. His ability to come in early during tough chases and play a longer innings, then come in latter on in other innings and go from ball one is exceptional.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 01 Sep 2020, 2:21 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I suspect he will return at the top of the order for the T20s, but I would like to have seen Buttler coming back in as the finisher option. Just feel he adds more to the team (vs the alternatives) lower down than opening.

The Buttler opening vs finishing debate is a fascinating one. If he comes off at the top of the order then you pretty much win the game. In a tight finish he can turn a tough chase into a cake walk though.

I expect most will say I'm overthinking things, and I probably am, but I'd consider having him open when England bat first but come in lower down when chasing. This England side in ODI cricket have favoured chasing when winning the toss I believe. With that ridiculous batting power basically just daring the opposition to score enough that England won't chase it basically! Buttler in the finishing role has been integral to that strength finishing chases off.

Batting first: 1.Buttler 2.Roy 3.Bairstow 4.Morgan 5.Stokes 6.Malan/Banton/Root
Chasing: 1.Bairstow 2.Roy 3.Malan/Banton/Root 4.Morgan 5.Stokes 6.Buttler

My views there are also a reason I like Root as an option in the T20i side. I think he's good up and down the order which can work well with Buttler and Stokes being versatile. Banton and Malan on the other hand I think are much better in the top 3 than they are lower down.

Morgan's exceptional form recently makes this debate a lot easier too of course. His ability to come in early during tough chases and play a longer innings, then come in latter on in other innings and go from ball one is exceptional.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 01 Sep 2020, 3:30 pm

I think Stokes/Morgan can more than cover off the finisher role, Morgan's now done it a few times (did it well in SA).

Also if they do bring in Livingstone, he would be very adept at that role.

I very much subscribe to the theory you want your best most destructive bats facing as many balls as they can in T20s. I will quote something young Guildfordbat often quotes, from one Alec Stewart, when he talks about Jason Roy in T20s for Surrey- "If he's facing 40-60 balls in a T20 game, we win the game". I totally agree with that re: Buttler too.

Ultimately we're being picky here!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 01 Sep 2020, 5:40 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I think Stokes/Morgan can more than cover off the finisher role, Morgan's now done it a few times (did it well in SA).

I very much subscribe to the theory you want your best most destructive bats facing as many balls as they can in T20s. I will quote something young Guildfordbat often quotes, from one Alec Stewart, when he talks about Jason Roy in T20s for Surrey- "If he's facing 40-60 balls in a T20 game, we win the game". I totally agree with that re: Buttler too.

Thanks, Olly. I had let that one go for a while. Must remember to use it again soon. Wink Not least because it's right.

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 01 Sep 2020, 5:49 pm

I also subscribe to that theory. Added to which, you've got the PowerPlay overs which you need your best and most destructive batsman to exploit. England have got four viable T20 openers - Buttler, Bairstow, Roy, Banton - but I'd favour Buttler and Roy to open, followed by Bairstow and then Banton. Morgan at 5 and Stokes at 6 completes an incredible batting line-up for T20s.

Anyway for today, England are unchanged and bowling first again.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 01 Sep 2020, 6:14 pm

Moeen gets Fahkar
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 01 Sep 2020, 6:42 pm

Good on Moeen, striking with his very first ball. Looking like a 160+ total for England's batters to chase down again, the debutant Haider Ali has started off rather briskly.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 01 Sep 2020, 7:08 pm

Make that 180+! None of England's bowlers currently able to defeat the partnership of Hafeez and Haider, with Rashid in particular getting carted around the ground.

130/2 after 14. 200 still very much a possibility.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 01 Sep 2020, 7:12 pm

I wonder whether England would consider Stokes in the Root/Malan anchor role at number 3? That seems to be more Stokes game now in the white ball stuff, certainly in the ODI side and he undoubtedly has more dynamism than Root/Malan so can hit out if needed.

The only other thing to consider would be who play spin better and who plays pace better. They have all these stats now as to who strikes at what vs pace and spin, so could tailor it like that as the openers are more likely to be facing pace than spin.

But ultimately, like Olly says, just trot your best 6 batsmen out there in any order and you can't go far wrong with the power hitting depth England have.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 01 Sep 2020, 7:15 pm

Love that England just reviewed for a possible LBW...when the ball hit the middle of the bat, and at no point did the ball touch the pad.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 01 Sep 2020, 7:20 pm

Looks like I tuned in just in time to break the partnership ...an excellent over from Jordan there (though how he got away with that high full toss to finish is beyond me !)

Pakistan still look good for 180 plus though.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 01 Sep 2020, 7:28 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I think Stokes/Morgan can more than cover off the finisher role, Morgan's now done it a few times (did it well in SA).

Thanks, Olly. I had let that one go for a while. Must remember to use it again soon. Wink Not least because it's right.

It's in my little cricket notepad of Guildfordbat cricket sayings Very Happy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 01 Sep 2020, 7:41 pm

I presume the pitch today is considered less friendly to spinners ? Even though Moeen got a wicket in his token opening over he hasn't been used since ; and Rashid seems to have gone round the park - or out of it !
Without having seen all his bowling I'd still have to suggest that Gregory hasn't enhanced his credentials ...although it is looking like another day on which all bowlers are just cannon fodder for the lucky batsmen ...

Jordan does well again to nip one more out - and really should have had another ! So they will keep them under 200 anyway . But going to need another demonstration of England's batting strength in depth ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 01 Sep 2020, 7:45 pm

Well 191 to get. England will fancy it.

Poor day at the office for England's bowlers, with the possible exception of Jordan. Lost count of the number of full tosses that were sent down.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 01 Sep 2020, 7:46 pm

I do find the handling of Mo rather baffling. Giving him one over in the powerplay where he gets smacked as badly as anyone else would and that it again? Rashid got mauled for three overs but Mo didnt get a second chance, instead lots of Gregory who doesnt appear to be in the medium term plans. Getting a wicket is a big deal for him personally at least. Jordan at least has affirmed himself as a player who should stay in the mix.

Gonna to take another strong chase from England here. By now I kind of expect them to get it but really it doesn't take many wickets to fall for them to be in kinds of trouble.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 01 Sep 2020, 7:59 pm

Hafeez showing - again - this t20 isn't just a young man's game Smile

Does look like a batting day. But as you say , goose , a couple of early wickets could easily derail the chase. For all Morgan's heroics , they'd have struggled the other night without that rocket start of 65 off six.

And they've got one ! Perfect Yorker from Shaheen does for YJB. That was a beautiful bit of fast bowling thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 01 Sep 2020, 8:02 pm

What a delivery from Shaheen. Bairstow barely saw it.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 01 Sep 2020, 8:12 pm

Wow. No wicket ; but another superb over...England will be glad Shaheen only has two more overs !

Have to get all their runs the other end... And there goes Malan to a fine boundary catch.

Fancy this chase might be a bit tougher than the other day...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next