The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish.

+33
Brendan
Kingshu
Welly
Geordie
lostinwales
LondonTiger
formerly known as Sam
sensisball
Maine man
Gicater
Mcsweens
Gooseberry
king_carlos
TheMildlyFranticLlama
profitius
Pot Hale
Anglobraveheart
Heuer27
Margin_Walker
mikey_dragon
Tramptastic
funnyExiledScot
EST
TJ
RDW
BigGee
George Carlin
bsando
tigertattie
Hazel Sapling
jimbopip
NeilyBroon
37 posters

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish. - Page 19 Empty The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish.

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 24 Sep 2020, 12:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Another chat thread dedicated to speculation, rumination, and general perambulation through the trials and tribulations of the club from the west with no forwards and the club from the east without a backs coach.

One day we'll have more rugby to talk about!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish. - Page 19 Empty Re: The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish.

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 20 Jan 2021, 9:15 am

BigGee wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:Allegedly sale are looking to make an offer too. They'd be my choice, especially if redpath ends up picking Scotland (or perhaps could be persuaded if he makes a partnership with shug)

Redpath plays for Bath now unfortunately

Ah yes, it's the similar coloured strips that get me every time!

Either way sale would still be the top choice imo. I guess it depends on money and lifestyle too though as a player.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish. - Page 19 Empty Re: The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish.

Post by bsando Wed 20 Jan 2021, 9:35 am

BigGee wrote:Jamie Llyal suggesting Shuggy is off to Bayonne next season.

That will no doubt be a decent money move, but he is not going to win much with them. They always seem to flirt with the relegation zone.

I am kind of resigned to him going to be honest and as the highest paid player in the squad, his wages could probably be spent in a fashion that might benefit the team more.

After the last couple of seasons though, it is good that we have seen him getting back to his best in a Glasgow shirt and giving us something to get excited about in these dark times. Still plenty of rugby to play this year and hopefully we will see plenty more of him before he goes.

Really!?! That would be a shame. He looks like he's finally looking like he is comfortable at Glasgow at 15. I like Bayonne as a club but it would be a great club for him to join when he is 30-32, not 27. I think he'd be kissing his chances with Scotland goodbye unless Bayonne has come up with a way to compete with Montpellier, Toulon, Toulouse, Racing 92, La Rochelle, Lyon and Bordeaux. What has happened to Alex Dunbar since his move to Brive? Rolling Eyes

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 20 Jan 2021, 9:36 am

bsando wrote:

That will no doubt be a decent money move, but he is not going to win much with them. They always seem to flirt with the relegation zone.

I am kind of resigned to him going to be honest and as the highest paid player in the squad, his wages could probably be spent in a fashion that might benefit the team more.

After the last couple of seasons though, it is good that we have seen him getting back to his best in a Glasgow shirt and giving us something to get excited about in these dark times. Still plenty of rugby to play this year and hopefully we will see plenty more of him before he goes.

Really!?! That would be a shame. He looks like he's finally looking like he is comfortable at Glasgow at 15. I like Bayonne as a club but it would be a great club for him to join when he is 30-32, not 27. I think he'd be kissing his chances with Scotland goodbye unless Bayonne has come up with a way to compete with Montpellier, Toulon, Toulouse, Racing 92, La Rochelle, Lyon and Bordeaux. What has happened to Alex Dunbar since his move to Brive? Rolling Eyes

https://www.ruck.co.uk/huw-jones-finally-set-to-move-to-the-premiership/

This would be a rumour I'd be much more happy about.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 20 Jan 2021, 9:48 am

bsando wrote:
bsando wrote:

That was the original rumour back in December, but it seems to have gone cold now.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 20 Jan 2021, 9:51 am

BigGee wrote:
bsando wrote:
bsando wrote:

That was the original rumour back in December, but it seems to have gone cold now.

What a shame. Not to be dramatic but his Scotland career is basically over if he makes that move. But perhaps he is more interested in a sunnier climate and lifestyle than pushing for more Scotland honours?

His teammate looks quick though
The Glasgow and Edinburgh General Chat. Discussions are limited to 6 people before 10pm to prevent the spread of Jimboish. - Page 19 Screen24

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 20 Jan 2021, 10:27 am

Gee You can prove anything with facts.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 20 Jan 2021, 3:39 pm

I'd rather see Jones in the Premiership. I agree that freeing up his salary opens up options for Glasgow, but he'll still take some replacing (in a backline that still hasn't adequately replaced Russell, Hastings and Hogg).

Big ask for the Glasgow scouts to plug those holes, but they should at least have some budget to throw around.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 20 Jan 2021, 4:09 pm

Not sure Bayonne is the best spot for Jones to re-set his career, but agree it would be in the best interest of all parties I think for him to move on.

It's been a real shame that he hasn't been able to properly establish himself in the team, he is such a talent. Multiple issues as to why that is I think, not all of which are down to HJ.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu 21 Jan 2021, 11:39 am

VDW the latest to sign a new contract at Edinburgh. Very good news. Rumours of Vellacott to Edinburgh seem to be going strong too

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 21 Jan 2021, 12:38 pm

Would be a good catch for Edinburgh, provided he's not expected to box kick every ball.

Could also give him a chance to play in dark blue, he's still only 25 so could feature yet and is a better option than Steele on form.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 21 Jan 2021, 2:02 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:Would be a good catch for Edinburgh, provided he's not expected to box kick every ball.
You must have been watching too much Eddie Jones England Rugby.....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 21 Jan 2021, 9:35 pm

Good news on VDW. I can't imagine he would have had many suiters but it's a very important signing nonetheless.

He's only 26 too - his best years ahead of him.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Fri 22 Jan 2021, 1:14 pm

James Bhatti returning to Glasgow for the 201/22 season.

https://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/glasgow-return-for-bhatti

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 22 Jan 2021, 1:36 pm

Bhatti never should have left, Glasgow's fault for not offering a deal. Seiuli has been fine but it has not helped Scotland having Sutherland, Schoeman and Bhatti all at the same side (Marfo and Dell were in there at some point as well).

I assume that will mean either Seiuli or Allan is off. I would like to keep Allan as third choice due to being SQ but Seiuli is the better player and Wilson may be colder than me on that front.

Kebble - Bhatti - Allan - Thornton - Lambert is not a bad set of looseheads if Thornton can kick on a bit and challenge Allan

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 22 Jan 2021, 1:45 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Bhatti never should have left, Glasgow's fault for not offering a deal. Seiuli has been fine but it has not helped Scotland having Sutherland, Schoeman and Bhatti all at the same side (Marfo and Dell were in there at some point as well).

I assume that will mean either Seiuli or Allan is off. I would like to keep Allan as third choice due to being SQ but Seiuli is the better player and Wilson may be colder than me on that front.

Kebble - Bhatti - Allan - Thornton - Lambert is not a bad set of looseheads if Thornton can kick on a bit and challenge Allan

Decent signing, always seemed an odd move to go to Edinburgh.

Like Wilson in your scenario I would prefer to keep Seiuli, I think he is several steps ahead of Allan and looks like he still has plenty room to improve.

Kebble
Bhatti/Seiuli
Thornton/Lambert

Couldn't quite believe it, but Thornton is 24 now - it's a real shame how he and Nicol haven't kicked on and a lesson for me that being a standout in U20 rugby is not a guarantee of success later in a career.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 22 Jan 2021, 2:41 pm

Thst will make at least one to many LHs at Glasgow next season.

I hope we keep Seuili, he is the best of the rest after Keeble, who will be away with Scotland a lot. He showed us what a good player he can be v Edinburgh. He will be the more exoensive option unfortunately, which might count against him.

Allan has a bad injury and getting older.

Lambert seems to be the anointed child

Thornton has not really progressed.

I know who i would like to keep, but money may be a factor in these decisions.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 22 Jan 2021, 2:57 pm

That is part of the rationale as well. If Bhatti becomes second choice, how much are you paying an NSQ player to be third choice? It would make sense if Bhatti is going to be in the Scotland squad as Kebble does get small knocks frequently so it will really depend on what Seiuli is offered elsewhere I imagine. Allan would be the starter for Glasgow for much of the international season otherwise.

I think the young props coming through have ruined it for guys like Thornton. Gordon Reid started getting games in his age 24 season and probably should have been signed for Glasgow last season considering he is only 33 (34 in March). If Thornton can get some matches over the Six Nations and prove he can survive against non-international props, I can see him being retained. If he struggles, it could be the end.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2021, 10:19 am

Cockers, Kinghorn and one of the Edinburgh physio's did not travel to Italy with the rest of the Edinburgh squad as their Covid test results did not come back on time.

That will mean a change to the team, presumably Blain to FB and Farndale coming onto the wing, no idea who the other traveling reserves were.

Hodge will have to put up with Cockers on the end of a phone for the duration!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2021, 10:47 am

All a bit strange - I know we're living in weird times but seems a bit of a mess up somewhere.

It's alright though - Hodge is in charge!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 10:57 am

RDW wrote:All a bit strange - I know we're living in weird times but seems a bit of a mess up somewhere.

It's alright though - Hodge is in charge!

Hopefully it'll be better than the last time he was in charge!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2021, 11:01 am

We desperately need a win here but this has got banana skin written all over it. Zebre are no mugs these days though and seek to have over taken Treviso recently.

It certainly won't be pretty but I hope we get the win!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2021, 11:02 am

Groom has been dropped as well, nothing to do with the train hoot of course, even though Cockers 'has had a word' with him!

Apparently an un-named Edinburgh player was also yelling at him to kick it out.

This story just gets better in the telling!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2021, 11:04 am

BigGee wrote:Groom has been dropped as well, nothing to do with the train hoot of course, even though Cockers 'has had a word' with him!

Apparently an un-named Edinburgh player was also yelling at him to kick it out.

This story just gets better in the telling!

I did also hear someone say WTF are you doing?? Or words to that effect!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Jan 2021, 11:08 am

Just read that Darcy is still out for 'personal reasons' - that's 2 weeks in a row now which is a bit unusual for something like that. Hopefully it's nothing too serious for him or his family.

Jamie Ritchie is still out with concussion too which is definitely a concern these days

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 1:41 pm

Great work by farndale for the try. Good finish by Bennett too. He's really unlucky not to be involved for Scotland!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2021, 1:46 pm

Good to see Farndale get a decent run of games, he is a better winger than many who have got pro contracts for the Scottish clubs over the years.

Schoeman a bit lucky not to get a YC for his last misdemeanour I think!

Edinburgh worth their lead though, but need some more points for their dominance

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2021, 1:48 pm

HP's passing is all over the place.

Edinburgh would do so much better if their backs got some quicker, more accurate ball

BigGee
Admin
Admin

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 1:51 pm

Yep HP is having a typically bipolar game. Will be interesting to see if sheil gets a good run at it later.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:00 pm

Edinburgh really need to sort out their SH options:

HP is unfortunately looking more and more like he is past his best.

Sheil has never convinced that he can manage a game, though je can look good off the bench.

Groom is prone to brain farts and is certainly no long term option.

Vellacott would surely be better than any of them and Christie even more so. I think a lot of the blame levelled at the back line starts with the problems at SH

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:03 pm

I think the Christie ship has sailed unless they send the scout over who talked to redpath!

Send Horne Jr to Edinburgh? That's a place he could be a first choice permanently!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:06 pm

And Edinburgh pay for a couple of mistakes by giving away a try under the sticks, some sloppy play there.

10 all

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:11 pm

Credit where it's due, zebre look like they've got their tails up and are playing some good rugby. Edinburgh need to regroup quickly.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:17 pm

Bit more control now. I think sheil needs to come on. Pyrgos is giving them way too much time. Also Edinburgh need to stop standing so deep. It's like watching Scotland circa 2010!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:29 pm

Very good tackle from Bennett, saved a try, needs a HIA following it though, his legs just buckled afterwards

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:31 pm

The chainsaw does his stuff, great tackle from Sau

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:34 pm

Taylor getting well involved on his come back as well

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:35 pm

Unfortunately on replay he caught his head, so he walks

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:35 pm

Well he did until the red...

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:36 pm

Silly. Simple body positioning, probably a few weeks ban.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:37 pm

Luckily zebre seem keen to lose this one

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:39 pm

Key involvement from haining there, if this goes over that's probably the game

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:39 pm

Key involvement from haining there, if this goes over that's probably the game

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:41 pm

Good kick from VDW

Two score game now with 6 mins to go

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:45 pm

Edinburgh call Argentina virtually every scrum

It is probably a double bluff to confuse everyone, including the viewers

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:47 pm

Or they're just really big Madonna fans.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:50 pm

Great read there by farndale. He and sau have had good games amongst the silly mistakes by Edinburgh

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:51 pm

Well it seemed Zebre wanted to lose that more than Edinburgh wanted to win

Points in the bag, but no great spectacle or performance

Its been a feature of this season, probably not that surprising really, the number of poor quality games.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 23 Jan 2021, 2:51 pm

Ah excellent try! That'll make the scoreline look a lot better

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 23 Jan 2021, 3:01 pm

Agree BigGee, as far as games go it was pretty dull. A good win considering how badly Edinburgh played.

Momentum is definitely needed though so this will do fine. Farndale should be starting off the back of that performance.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 23 Jan 2021, 3:43 pm

It's weird when one team is doing all the attacking, appearing to have the upper hand only to then lose by 10+ points. That's sort of where rugby is at at the moment. Defences and territory dominate.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next