The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next England Coach

+9
nlpnlp
Sgt_Pooly
TightHEAD
Recwatcher16
LondonTiger
Geordie
lostinwales
Poorfour
No 7&1/2
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Next England Coach - Page 2 Empty Next England Coach

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Stolen the body of this from https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54596746:

Exeter chairman Tony Rowe says that director of rugby Rob Baxter's ambition could be to coach England.
Baxter masterminded Exeter's first-ever European Champions Cup win on Saturday and has led the Chiefs to five successive Premiership finals.
Baxter, who was in charge when Exeter were promoted to the Premiership in 2010, is contracted until 2023.
"I think I know that eventually his ambition may be to coach England," Rowe told BBC Radio 5 Live.

Baxter has previously helped coach England when he assisted Stuart Lancaster on the tour to Argentina in 2013.
He has long been tipped as a future England boss, but ruled out applying for the job in 2015 when Lancaster resigned after the 2015 World Cup.
Exeter face Wasps at Twickenham on Saturday looking for a second Premiership title to add to the one they won for the first time in 2017.
"Since 1998 when I took over the running of the club my ambition was always to be in the Premiership and win the European (Champions Cup)," added Rowe.
"Rob was a player then and we've had this shared ambition for the last 11 years that he's been our head coach and director of rugby.
"Having achieved it, him and I spoke after the game in Bristol and said 'Rob we're there mate, we've made it, what are we going to do next?' and he said 'we'll do it again won't we?'."

Nothing really new here but Baxter obviously pushes himself a bit nearer the job now should he want it. Exeter were the nearly men for years but now clearly were at a disadvantage the job Baxter and his team have done is obvious for all to see. Jones looks pretty well set in England now but things can change pretty rapidly in sport. Personally I think if Jones were to step aside now for whatever reason it would be between 3 men to get the job Baxter, Mitchell or McCall. Despite Saracens cheating its undeniable in how well he got players performing along with their team spirit. Given England play a not too dissimilar way to Saracens it may not be the leap it would be for Baxter?

If Jones were to make it longer term there finally seems to be some green shoots of English coaches as well in the prem in Blackett and Hooper and of course Lam from further afield. There is also Farrell over in Ireland and I'm keen to see how Parling gets on Down Under.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Next England Coach - Page 2 Empty Re: Next England Coach

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:55 am

I think we can all agree that it's not Baxter. Bringing up a team from zero's to the premiership, and then winning it the same year as the European comp was a fluke....

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by rosbif Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:00 pm

I think we can all agree that it's not Baxter. Bringing up a team from zero's to the premiership, and then winning it the same year as the European comp was a fluke....

Yes you are so right ...........if only he was in Wales........;;

rosbif

http://www.brittanygite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:26 pm

Whoever succeeds EJ, they are going to have a pretty tough job to get anywhere near a comparative performance.
For those that like stats (and there are plenty of good ones here), the attached makes an interesting quick read. I am not sure Baxter, or anyone else will get close at Test level.

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/article/england-under-eddie-jones-in-numbers-the-story-so-far

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:58 pm

I think you could argue that taking into account the talent pool at his disposal that those numbers should be higher.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:01 pm

rosbif wrote:Yes you are so right ...........if only he was in Wales........;;

He would be world class.

mikey_dragon

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:33 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

He would be world class.

He would probably do a better job than the current incumbent, 5th place with only one win in 4 games.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:00 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

He would be world class.

He would probably do a better job than the current incumbent, 5th place with only one win in 4 games.

Easily he would do a better job than that.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:47 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

He would be world class.

Easily he would do a better job than that.

With respect to WP, I could do a better job than that. The only win was I believe at home to Italy in the first round. Picking just about any sensible combination of the squad would have walked that game just by turning up and playing the way they want to. For example, as they did in the last 20 against England; when they do not play to a script they can be awesome.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2