The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Scotland squad

+20
mikey_dragon
king_carlos
lostinwales
demosthenes
thefinalthistle
bsando
George Carlin
formerly known as Sam
No 7&1/2
funnyExiledScot
RDW
NeilyBroon
Anglobraveheart
doctor_grey
tigertattie
Hazel Sapling
jimbopip
BigGee
Highland Shaun
24 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Next Scotland squad  - Page 5 Empty Next Scotland squad

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 22 Mar 2021, 11:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know we have a very important match still to be played on Friday, but seeing as I did a good job with my first post as a member (The Scotland 6N thread), I thought I'd start one early for the summer tour :P.

I actually got the idea after reading a status on an Irish Rugby Facebook group (I'm half Irish hence being in the group. I still support Scotland first and foremost, even last Sunday) which asked the following question that I'm about to further down this thread Smile.

I don't think it's been officially confirmed yet but I am about 95% certain that Georgia and Romania was touted as our summer tests.

So bearing that in mind, we know that we will have a lot more new additions added to the squad and potentially even starting the games due to Lions selection.

So the question is this:-

Who would you like to see picked in the squad that hasn't been capped or named in squads before?

I will start by saying: Josh Bayliss and Ben Vellacot.

I'd also like to see more of: Jamie Dobie, Rufus McLean, Byron McGuigan, Scott Steele and Alex Craig, preferably as starters or on the bench.

I was going to add the boy Tuipolotu but tbh, he will need to prove himself at Glasgow before he's even considered for Scotland.

Also, if GT is away on Lions duty, who would coach the team, Mike Blair?

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Next Scotland squad  - Page 5 Empty Re: Next Scotland squad

Post by BigGee Tue 22 Jun 2021, 9:37 am

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 28 Jun 2021, 4:06 pm

The whole of the Scotland squad and management will be stood down this week and will isolate.

Squad will regather next monday following another bout of testing.

That is probably the sensible option and will prevent any further spread around the squad which could put the whole tour in doubt.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 28 Jun 2021, 4:36 pm

Makes sense and hopefully the entire squad will be fully healthy to go on tour.

As good as it will be as a development tour for us, it will also support the development of Romania and Georgia.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 01 Jul 2021, 11:53 pm

I see that our under 20s were pumped by Italy, which is far from ideal. I'm not sure how much rugby the Italians have had in the last year but most of our guys have literally not played a single game during the Covid period, which wont' have helped their development.

The Italians are pretty good at under 20s now too - it may not be long until that feeds into the national team.

This has happened in the past though and it's amazing what 6 months difference makes with these young lads. I can't remember which year but we had a dreadful 6N then actually did quite well in the World Cup.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 01 Jul 2021, 11:57 pm

RDW wrote:I see that our under 20s were pumped by Italy, which is far from ideal. I'm not sure how much rugby the Italians have had in the last year but most of our guys have literally not played a single game during the Covid period, which wont' have helped their development.

The Italians are pretty good at under 20s now too - it may not be long until that feeds into the national team.

This has happened in the past though and it's amazing what 6 months difference makes with these young lads. I can't remember which year but we had a dreadful 6N then actually did quite well in the World Cup.

No guarantee that they will develop into full internationals but there will be a couple of prospects. Leatherbarrow looks like the real deal, and there is lots of time for the big guys to put on some muscle.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 02 Jul 2021, 8:51 am

Your match against Romania is off due to Covid.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 04 Jul 2021, 9:59 am

Just saw Finlay Christie got capped by the AB’s ending the speculation about which country he would choose. I think he played it well and clearly wanted a shot at AB’s glory. Considering how well he’s played since he moved to the Blues he thoroughly deserved to be called up. Hope he gets many more caps and a chance to play against Scotland once internationals are back at Murrayfield.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 09 Jul 2021, 10:31 am

Georgia game has been cancelled due to cases in the Georgia squad. So Scotland's your schedule has been completely binned.

Big shame!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 09 Jul 2021, 11:13 am

RDW wrote:Georgia game has been cancelled due to cases in the Georgia squad. So Scotland's your schedule has been completely binned.

Big shame!

Inevitable but pretty cr#p all the same, all those players called up to the squad in the absence of the Lions and experienced players, may have to wait a long time for another chance now or not get one at all.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 09 Jul 2021, 11:19 am

I wonder if they want a game vs the Lions?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 09 Jul 2021, 11:46 am

Scotland. Undefeated in our summer tour 2021.

Thats how I'll look at it!
tigertattie
tigertattie

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Fri 09 Jul 2021, 7:00 pm

My worry now is that Cameron Henderson changes his mind and decides to declare for England because I'm not sure if he has officially declined them like Ashman did.

At least we know Ashman and Bayliss are committed to us, I think both have publicly said that.

Regarding November, I really hope Cameron Henderson, Ewan Ashman, Josh Bayliss, Nick Auterac and Javan Sebastian get named in the squad again.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 10 Jul 2021, 12:37 am

Highland Shaun wrote:My worry now is that Cameron Henderson changes his mind and decides to declare for England because I'm not sure if he has officially declined them like Ashman did.

At least we know Ashman and Bayliss are committed to us, I think both have publicly said that.

Regarding November, I really hope Cameron Henderson, Ewan Ashman, Josh Bayliss, Nick Auterac and Javan Sebastian get named in the squad again.

Does Henderson qualify for England? I thought he qualified for Scotland through parents and Hong Kong by birth. He won't have qualified as EQP on residency yet so unless a grandparent or parent is English I don't think he is actually EQP.

Looking at it the other way, England didn't manage to tie Bevan Rodd during these games.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 10 Jul 2021, 7:21 am

Henderson has an English mother i believe.

I think these players have all made up their minds to be honest. Cameron and Ashman will surely be in the autumn squad and hopefully get their chance then.

Rodd may have to wait a little while for a cap from either country, but he is young enough so it won't be a problem asong as he keeps improving. He is unlikely to chsnge his mind either, unless he feels England are overlooking him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Sat 10 Jul 2021, 8:03 am

Yeah, I agree with that BigGee, Rodd will get named in their Autumn squad and likely play in one of them too.

I'm not sure about Fraser Dingwall though, he nust be getting frustrated because he got picked in the original squad hen dropped when the squad was reduced, only to come back in when injury ruled Lawrence out, only to be dropped completely from the match day squad for tomorrow's test.

I'm glad the Premiership is back before the AI tests because it means I can analyse how our PL based players are doing, even if its only via channel 5 highlights show (I love the banter between Mark Durden-Smith and Flats kol). I will also watch as many Edinburgh/Glasgow matches as I can too, to see how they do this coming season.

I am still neutral by the wqy :P, nobody has persuaded me to pick one particular team, YET haha.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by thefinalthistle Mon 26 Jul 2021, 3:01 pm

Think it was really disappointing that Scotland were one of the only Tier One nations not to play any games this summer. To not have a contingency plan for something going wrong during a global pandemic is... questionable, at the very least.

We need to come roaring back in the Autumn, with our new Lions to strengthen us! Speaking of.. another article for those that enjoyed the last few! I thought the boys did mostly very well on Saturday, so gave them a quick rating:

https://thefinalthistle.wordpress.com/2021/07/25/lions-first-test-scottish-ratings/

thefinalthistle

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 26 Jul 2021, 3:19 pm

Pretty fair summary and ratings I would say TFT

BigGee
Admin
Admin

thefinalthistle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 26 Jul 2021, 3:30 pm

I like it. Can I be cheeky and ask if Curry is marked down for his 3 pens surely you should mark Watson down for his 2 fouls while on less time though!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by thefinalthistle Mon 26 Jul 2021, 4:16 pm

He was marked down from his usual 10 Wink I don't think it was a particularly strong claim from either of them, but I expect better from both next weekend.

I said on Talksport that I thought the referee got it right. Upon reflection, I can understand the grievance from South African fans. I'd have been screaming for a yellow had du Toit made that tackle.

thefinalthistle

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5