The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July)

+29
MrInvisible
owen10ozzy
Pal Joey
Oakdene
Luckless Pedestrian
Cyril
JDizzle
Trebs
Pr4wn
Jimmy Moz
Lowlandbrit
Afro
dummy_half
alfie
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Samo
Riggs
lostinwales
RiscaGame
Galted
CaledonianCraig
Luke
Soul Requiem
JuliusHMarx
Dolphin Ziggler
BamBam
westisbest
Duty281
33 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Winners of Euro 2020?

Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_lcap41%Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 9 ]
Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_lcap9%Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 2 ]
Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_lcap5%Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_lcap14%Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]
Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_lcap14%Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]
Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_lcap5%Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 22

Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Empty Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July)

Post by Duty281 Sun 06 Jun 2021, 7:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Starts in under a week. Might be a fun summer of football to lift the gloom of the previous 12 months.

Groups:

Full Schedule:

Outright Odds:

Portugal to defend their title? France to go one better? Germany return to prominence? Belgium finally get it right? England bring football home? Or will Scotland shock the world?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Empty Re: Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July)

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Jun 2021, 10:02 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Well its a 0-0 draw and its a game that if anyone deserved to win it was Scotland. That tells us either England aren't as great as their pundits/media and some fans think they are or Scotland are better than they were given credit for?

Our lads went into this game under immense pressure and with no big tournament experience but rose to the occasion far better. In Southgate's post-match comments we got a clue of what fear he instilled in his players saying if you can't win games make sure you don't lose.

Wouldn't quite go that far. England had the better chances and dominated possession (probably won it on xG), not that I'd be pushed to say that either team deserved it as they were both negative. Scotland were OK, a few good individual performances (Gilmour especially), but certainly not 'fantastic' or any other superlative I've heard attributed.  

I think England went into the game under greater pressure as they were expected to win. For Scotland it was effectively a free hit.

I'm not sure many (any?) pundits or England fans think England are particularly great. Overall it tells us that Southgate is miserably negative, happy to settle for a point as he was, and his in-game management was poor.

We'll agree to disagree then. Scotland more shots on goal and more shots on target. England had more possession but chiefly in their own half. Sorry but England under greater pressure? A loss and Scotland were most likely out whereas a loss for England and they'd still have been able to play out a draw with the Czechs in their final game and most definitely still qualify.

Are you kidding. Pundits on the radio prediction a 4-0 win for England. I never saw any England pundit forecast anything other than an England win. As for Southgate yes I get the impression he's instilled that mindset at all costs not to lose and that manifests itself into negativity. But he's also been praised for killing off the prima donna attitude of squads of the past that he took great praise for at the World Cup so its swings and roundabouts really. England will still go through but we shall see how far they go.

I don't think predicting an England win last night is too outlandish, most Scots were doing the same. I think Jenas was the only one going for 4-0? But there again I don't think anyone was anticipating England playing for a draw as they did.

More shots on target, maybe, but fairly irrelevant in its own right. One of those shots on target was a tame hit which rolled to Pickford - nowhere near as good a chance as Stones hitting the post or Mount dragging one narrowly wide, hence why England won on xG.

England probably under greater pressure because they were the home team and widely expected to win. No likewise pressure on Scotland. Scotland may have gone out with a loss, but they weren't expected to and didn't need to win, plus I think just qualifying for Scotland was a success, going any further would be a huge bonus.

England probably heading out in the last 16 to Portugal/France, need an upset to get further!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July) - Page 4 Empty Re: Euro 2020 Thread (11th June-11th July)

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 19 Jun 2021, 10:46 am

Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Well its a 0-0 draw and its a game that if anyone deserved to win it was Scotland. That tells us either England aren't as great as their pundits/media and some fans think they are or Scotland are better than they were given credit for?

Our lads went into this game under immense pressure and with no big tournament experience but rose to the occasion far better. In Southgate's post-match comments we got a clue of what fear he instilled in his players saying if you can't win games make sure you don't lose.

Wouldn't quite go that far. England had the better chances and dominated possession (probably won it on xG), not that I'd be pushed to say that either team deserved it as they were both negative. Scotland were OK, a few good individual performances (Gilmour especially), but certainly not 'fantastic' or any other superlative I've heard attributed.  

I think England went into the game under greater pressure as they were expected to win. For Scotland it was effectively a free hit.

I'm not sure many (any?) pundits or England fans think England are particularly great. Overall it tells us that Southgate is miserably negative, happy to settle for a point as he was, and his in-game management was poor.

We'll agree to disagree then. Scotland more shots on goal and more shots on target. England had more possession but chiefly in their own half. Sorry but England under greater pressure? A loss and Scotland were most likely out whereas a loss for England and they'd still have been able to play out a draw with the Czechs in their final game and most definitely still qualify.

Are you kidding. Pundits on the radio prediction a 4-0 win for England. I never saw any England pundit forecast anything other than an England win. As for Southgate yes I get the impression he's instilled that mindset at all costs not to lose and that manifests itself into negativity. But he's also been praised for killing off the prima donna attitude of squads of the past that he took great praise for at the World Cup so its swings and roundabouts really. England will still go through but we shall see how far they go.

I don't think predicting an England win last night is too outlandish, most Scots were doing the same. I think Jenas was the only one going for 4-0? But there again I don't think anyone was anticipating England playing for a draw as they did.

More shots on target, maybe, but fairly irrelevant in its own right. One of those shots on target was a tame hit which rolled to Pickford - nowhere near as good a chance as  Stones hitting the post or Mount dragging one narrowly wide, hence why England won on xG.

England probably under greater pressure because they were the home team and widely expected to win. No likewise pressure on Scotland. Scotland may have gone out with a loss, but they weren't expected to and didn't need to win, plus I think just qualifying for Scotland was a success, going any further would be a huge bonus.

England probably heading out in the last 16 to Portugal/France, need an upset to get further!

Again I disagree with your analysis - well most of it.

Lets look at it. England came into it being lauded in the press for a 1-0 win against Croatia. Scotland came into it having been slated in the press after their defeat against the Czechs. Much more pressure on the Scottish players than England's without a doubt. England had three points in the bank whereas Scotland had zilch. Our biggest downfall is not having a Harry Kane-type striker - if we had we win last night. We are under no illusions. We are still building bringing young talent such as Gilmour and others into our side in the future. I agree lots are just delighted we are back at a major tournament but that does not mean they don't/want more from it. Still the building will go on for us. As for England well you don't know. You have to galvanise the players/team as we seen the likes of Greece in the past and Wales and Iceland punching above their weight. Can England garner some of that spirit? Also get their attacking players more involved - those are the key things for England. It is quite funny as in the build-up to the tournament all the worry was focussed on the defence and the media creamed themselves over the attack. Well so far the defence is outshining that attack.

As for Scotland it is now a winner takes all match against Croatia on Tuesday. Croatia are technically better but are not the side they were in the last World Cup whereas we are on the way up. How much last night took out of our players and needing to find the net and shackle Modric are my chief concerns. However, we have a very good record against them - unbeaten in five matches having won two and drawn three. All to play for.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 19 Jun 2021, 11:05 am

If England play with the same intensity against a good team they'll get battered, but I would hope that wouldn't be the case.

Like to see Sancho in for the Czech game, and possibly DCL. Kane doesn't look completely fit.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Jun 2021, 11:10 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

More shots on target, maybe, but fairly irrelevant in its own right. One of those shots on target was a tame hit which rolled to Pickford - nowhere near as good a chance as  Stones hitting the post or Mount dragging one narrowly wide, hence why England won on xG.

Again I disagree with your analysis - well most of it.

Lets look at it. England came into it being lauded in the press for a 1-0 win against Croatia. Scotland came into it having been slated in the press after their defeat against the Czechs. Much more pressure on the Scottish players than England's without a doubt. England had three points in the bank whereas Scotland had zilch. Our biggest downfall is not having a Harry Kane-type striker - if we had we win last night. We are under no illusions. We are still building bringing young talent such as Gilmour and others into our side in the future. I agree lots are just delighted we are back at a major tournament but that does not mean they don't/want more from it. Still the building will go on for us. As for England well you don't know. You have to galvanise the players/team as we seen the likes of Greece in the past and Wales and Iceland punching above their weight. Can England garner some of that spirit? Also get their attacking players more involved - those are the key things for England. It is quite funny as in the build-up to the tournament all the worry was focussed on the defence and the media creamed themselves over the attack. Well so far the defence is outshining that attack.

As for Scotland it is now a winner takes all match against Croatia on Tuesday. Croatia are technically better but are not the side they were in the last World Cup whereas we are on the way up. How much last night took out of our players and needing to find the net and shackle Modric are my chief concerns. However, we have a very good record against them - unbeaten in five matches having won two and drawn three. All to play for.

The team expected to win is always under more pressure than the team expected to lose, I think most would agree with that, especially given the derby nature of it.

Scotland would have needed more than a Harry Kane type player to win last night - they would have also needed someone to create chances!

England's defence hasn't been properly tested yet. Once it is it will likely fall apart. The attack is suffering due to Southgate's negativity, lack of fitness and/or form of some players, and poor substitutions.

Scotland/Croatia should be quite close with both attacks misfiring so far.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Jun 2021, 11:12 am

GSC wrote:If England play with the same intensity against a good team they'll get battered, but I would hope that wouldn't be the case.

Like to see Sancho in for the Czech game, and possibly DCL. Kane doesn't look completely fit.

Well I hope it can be a wake-up call, if not for Southgate then the senior players.

Would also like to see those two players, but Southgate has his favourites and those two fall well outside it. It was strange that DCL wasn't subbed on yesterday for Kane.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Jun 2021, 2:54 pm

Hungary 1-0 France HT. Goodness.

If Hungary hold on to this we'll have our first shock of the tournament, as well as the group in question being blasted wide open. Was Hungary's only chance of the half and Lloris and the right side of the French defence should have done better. Benzema's already missed a couple of good chances at the other end.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jun 2021, 3:26 pm

1-1 Griezmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Jun 2021, 4:04 pm

Fantastic result for Hungary. They were widely expected to be thrashed around in this group, but they didn't disgrace themselves v Portugal, and they've now picked up a highly impressive point v the world champions. And it wasn't a park-the-bus point, they were happy to attack France when the opportunity presented itself. Still got a shot at qualifying as well.

France looked surprisingly jittery, especially in defence, and lacked cohesion in attack. Might find it difficult to top the group if Portugal win later.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jun 2021, 4:47 pm

Not surprised France struggled, like Portugal. Probably the most hostile and most difficult atmosphere to play in for an away side during the group stages. Hungary have utilised that, and you can see it’s given them an advantage. Can see England struggling there in the WC qualifier later on in the year.

As for France, they don’t look a great team, more reliant upon individual brilliance, and in particular, Mbappe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sat 19 Jun 2021, 4:56 pm

This is the problem with the current setup of the tournament. When you allow some teams to qualify from 3rd place, teams that win their first game will be more than happy to settle for a draw in their second. See both France and England. Negative football, lateral passes and timewasting.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 19 Jun 2021, 5:48 pm

To be honest, it's usually the teams that set up negatively that end up winning these tournaments more than the ones that score 17 goals in the group stage
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jun 2021, 5:49 pm

Group F has suddenly become very interesting today

Portugal 1-2 Germany HT

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Jun 2021, 6:00 pm

Not sure France were settling for a draw, but yes I do dislike that the tournament is too big and only 8 teams get knocked out after the group stages. The 48 team World Cup from 2026 onwards, with 16 groups of 3 and the top 2 going through, will be an even worse tournament.

Anyway Portugal-Germany has been thrilling so far. Germany look a different team to the one that played France.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Jun 2021, 6:20 pm

Blimey, it's turning into a rout. Portugal so static and getting picked apart.

Winners of England's group will have little idea of who they're facing after today.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Sat 19 Jun 2021, 6:21 pm

Can't quite believe the Portugese, I honestly thought they'd do really well.

Holy moly, Germany looking like demolition experts.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jun 2021, 6:34 pm

Any defence containing Nelson Semedo is usually horrific. Pepe is 38

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Sat 19 Jun 2021, 6:51 pm

Ronaldo is showboating again. Just play football and stop showing off.

The Germans are looking very comfy.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Jun 2021, 6:53 pm

Losing Cancelo was a major blow for Portugal, right on the eve of the tournament.

Those two results today setting the group up for a dramatic finish. All we need for full drama is Hungary beating Germany.

Still got Spain-Poland to come this evening.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Sat 19 Jun 2021, 6:56 pm

The Portugese number 16 has a wicked right foot, the post is still shaking.

It's now getting interesting as we get closer to completing the group matches.
Get the popcorn out lads.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jun 2021, 9:41 pm

Spain are really poor. All in all, it’s a terrible group

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Jun 2021, 9:59 pm

Spain 1-1 Poland. The Spanish continuing to misfire, they make England look smooth. Great point for Poland. Another group that's wide-open going into the last set of games, but difficult to see any of the four teams doing anything of note in the KO stages.

Group A gets resolved tomorrow. Switzerland v Turkey battling for survival. Italy and Wales fight for top spot.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Sat 19 Jun 2021, 10:04 pm

Fully expected Spain to win but Poland were good enough to score and earn a draw.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 20 Jun 2021, 9:21 am

Poland had the better cutting edge in attack definitely. They had a better end product with their attacks for the possession they had compared to Spain.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Sun 20 Jun 2021, 10:32 am

Well, the good news is some of the groups are very open to whatever happens.
We could see some big upsets.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Jun 2021, 5:20 pm

Not surprised the Italians making eight changes. Looking at the draw, it makes little difference coming first (prob Ukraine/Austria) or second (prob Denmark/Russia) from this group.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 20 Jun 2021, 5:30 pm

Swiss 2-0 up against the Turks already. A tournament of complete misery for Turkey, three losses and (currently) no goals.

Four points should be enough for the Swiss to advance in third place, but any boost to their GD is welcome.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Jun 2021, 6:15 pm

Italy 1-0 Wales

Last 16 tie

Wales v Russia/Finland/Denmark.

Very weak section of the draw

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 20 Jun 2021, 7:05 pm

Yep, Wales have landed in a good section. They've exceeded most expectations to finish second, that point against the Swiss crucial. Now they've got a winnable last 16 tie, then a QF against probably the Dutch which, while they would be outsiders, is within winnable reach.

Italy have looked the best team so far. They haven't conceded in about 11 games in all comps, and their attack is firing nicely. But I'm wary of teams peaking too soon. Last 16 v Ukraine/Austria should be simple enough, but their probable QF opponents are Belgium, which will provide the proper test.

Swiss probably have enough to get through with 4 points, but negative GD could cost them. Can't see them doing anything of note though, Turkey were simply awful.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Jun 2021, 7:22 pm

Italy looked strong but were never troubled. Wales play best when it’s high tempo and they’re on the break, with some good pace on the wings (usually). But today they didn’t seem to have much purpose. Not sure if that’s down to Italy playing well or Wales playing poorly. Maybe a bit of both? Wales gave away possession far too easily today. Bale very quiet. Missed a relative sitter too (although on the volley so by no means easy, but within Bale’s capabilities to at least get it on target and trouble the keeper). Daniel James who normally makes some barnstorming runs down the left wing was very quiet. No runs that I saw.  

Thought the red was harsh, but then I’m biased! Yellow for me but there you go. Still, into the last 16 and as mentioned above it’s an easier side of the draw. C’mon Wales!

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 20 Jun 2021, 8:49 pm

Wales have no real outlet without Moore. If they’re settling for soaking up pressure, they need to be able to hold the ball up when they’re managing to get out of their half. They didn’t have that, until he came on.

Now the pressure is off, I hope they go for it again. Wales have looked pretty good, when they’ve had a go. When they defend, they are pretty good last ditch, but invite way too much pressure on them.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 20 Jun 2021, 9:06 pm

Yeah, Moore is a must start. He was on a yellow so when even a defeat meant they would probably qualify it was a sensible decision to start him from the bench.

Think this group of players is superior to the 2016 batch, so it’s a shame Bale has lost some of his his athleticism. Would have loved to have seen peak Bale with his bunch. Still, with the sitter he missed today and the penalty vs Turkey I fancy he will deliver something special before Wales journey finishes.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Jun 2021, 10:31 am

Today it's the potential farce between Austria-Ukraine. Both teams will be happy with a point. It'll put Ukraine through in second place. It will, almost certainly, put Austria through in third. The draw is evens, a 0-0 score is 3/1. I don't think I've seen odds so short before for those respective events.

Group B also comes to an end. It could get rather complicated with a potential for three teams to be tied on three points, or three teams to be tied on six points. I think most people are hoping Denmark squeeze through by beating Russia, and having Belgium defeat the Finnish, which would give the Danes every chance.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Jun 2021, 10:47 am

Huge blow for Scotland with Gilmour testing positive for Covid, and he'll miss the Croatia game and any potential last-16 tie. Could have further ramifications if more of the Scotland squad need to 'isolate' as a result.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 21 Jun 2021, 11:09 am

Typical of our luck. Tierney (one of our best players) missed the Czech Republic game and now Gilmour misses the Croatia game. A big blow but it is not as if we have been heavily dependent on Gilmour in recent months so we need to shuffle the pack. Keep the defence as is and bring Armstrong into midfield or maybe even Turnbull as a curveball to the Croats.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Riggs Mon 21 Jun 2021, 11:41 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Typical of our luck. Tierney (one of our best players) missed the Czech Republic game and now Gilmour misses the Croatia game. A big blow but it is not as if we have been heavily dependent on Gilmour in recent months so we need to shuffle the pack. Keep the defence as is and bring Armstrong into midfield or maybe even Turnbull as a curveball to the Croats.

Changing tactics and players is not a bad thing. It keeps the other side guessing.

Riggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Jun 2021, 6:53 pm

Netherlands win the group, and somehow Austria finish second

Last 16 tie

Italy v Austria (Austria are woeful, so it shouldn’t be too difficult for the Italians)

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Jun 2021, 6:57 pm

Dutch cruise through with three wins from three. Like the Italians they've not faced a tough test yet. Austria edge out Ukraine 1-0. Means Austria are through in second to take on the Italians in the last 16 - nervous wait for Ukraine in third place with three points.

Chilwell and Mount have been forced into 'self-isolation' after coming into 'close contact' with Gilmour. Not really sure how this works. None of the rest of the Scottish squad have been forced into 'self-isolation', but surely at least one of them would have come into 'close contact' with Gilmour on the training field, the coach or the hotel? Anyway it means Chilwell and Mount are doubts for tomorrow - might mean a start for Grealish.

Now time for Group B, and for Wales to find out their last 16 opponents. Could be a bit of a headache to work out who goes through if Finland lose and Denmark win. I think a Danish win where they score at least two would put them through in second place (presuming Finland lose), but I'm not 100% sure!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 21 Jun 2021, 7:37 pm

Is it me or does Group F have a clear advantage in that they will know in advance of playing exactly what is required to qualify from third place?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 21 Jun 2021, 7:52 pm

Duty281 wrote:

Now time for Group B, and for Wales to find out their last 16 opponents. Could be a bit of a headache to work out who goes through if Finland lose and Denmark win. I think a Danish win where they score at least two would put them through in second place (presuming Finland lose), but I'm not 100% sure!

If head-to-heads can't decide it then it goes down to goal difference and then goals scored.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Jun 2021, 9:33 pm

Belgium & Denmark progressing

Last 16 ties

Wales v Denmark
Italy v Austria
Holland v
Belgium v

I still don’t get how they place the four best third placed sides?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Jun 2021, 9:45 pm

Russia's defending (and goalkeeping) has been amateur stuff. That second goal for the Danes was horrific. Lovely that the Danes are getting through in front of a bouncing home crowd. Russia's GD in the head-to-head games with them, the Danes and the Finns has been completely decimated, hence why they're 4th and definitely out.

Finnish put up an 11 man rearguard v Belgium, but it wasn't enough. They're probably out with their meagre 3 point haul. Thought Hazard could have had a penalty in the 1st half, and Lukaku had a goal disallowed because his shoelace was offside, or something. Eventually the Belgians poured through and got the win. Three wins for Belgium, two of them against v.poor opposition.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Jun 2021, 9:55 pm

Apparently, Denmark's win means that Switzerland, England, Czech Republic, Sweden and France have all reached the Last 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Jun 2021, 9:59 pm

Yes, I think that would be correct, because Ukraine and Finland have both finished in third with three points. So even if any of those teams* lose their final matches and finish 3rd, they can't possibly finish as a 5th or 6th ranked third-place team.

*With the exception of Switzerland who have already completed their games.

The Finns are basically out. They need these two things to happen to go through, otherwise they're reliant on Portugal getting smashed.

1) Croatia and Scotland to draw.
2) Spain to lose and Poland not to win.

Ukraine need at least one of the above two things to happen.

Last edited by Duty281 on Mon 21 Jun 2021, 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 21 Jun 2021, 10:01 pm

I do wonder if it would be better for the tournament to just increase to 32 teams. Yes you then have eight extra teams of questionable ability but makes the first knockout stage far easier to understand.

Soul Requiem

Duty281 and RiscaGame like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 22 Jun 2021, 6:39 am

Soul Requiem wrote:I do wonder if it would be better for the tournament to just increase to 32 teams. Yes you then have eight extra teams of questionable ability but makes the first knockout stage far easier to understand.

I don't think it is really too hard to understand once you have a good look at the details. But I have never really liked these competitions in which the "third prize" qualification rules mean just a third of the field gets eliminated over three rounds - allowing , potentially , a team to draw all three , or win one and lose two , and still survive Seems sort of out of proportion , when another team can by contrast win three matches straight and still go out on a single defeat at the next stage.

Is always an issue when you have 24 teams. Can't make it a straight "top two" from each group ; unless you had four groups of six and went straight to quarters. Which would mean sixty group matches - a bit much ! So going to 32 makes sense : eight x four and top two advance. Half the field eliminated before the knockouts : seems fairer to me.

alfie

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 22 Jun 2021, 10:09 am

Ideally, the tournament would revert to 16 with four groups of four, top two going through to the QFs. 24 is a horrible fudge, with a messy system of some third-placed teams going through, and an imbalanced draw going into the KO stages. Oh well.

Judgement day for the Scots and Croatians. Winner-takes all, if it's a draw they both go out. They've only scored 1 goal between them in 360 minutes of football so far, so it may not be riveting unless an early goal happens. Narrowly favouring Croatia to get the win, even though they've been dismal so far. Would be very surprised if Scotland managed to win.

And England need a win to advance in top spot. Finishing top means a game against Germany or France (most likely) in the last 16. But it would also mean a probably easier QF and SF, if England could get that far.

The England selection rumours are a mess at the moment - Walker in for James and Grealish in for Mount seem to be the two most likely changes, but there's a chance that Maguire and Henderson find their way back in after injury, plus talk of Bellingham and/or Sancho possibly getting a start.

Southgate has picked 10 different full-back combinations for the last 11 internationals. If he replaces James with Walker, it will continue the trend of inconsistency.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 Jun 2021, 10:34 am

Don't mind me, I'm just marking this thread so it's easier for me to find OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 22 Jun 2021, 10:52 am

Top of group gets a tough opponent , true. But might not England prefer to remain at Wembley and so be very keen to win the game and the group ?

Selection has been clouded further by the covid isolation of a couple of players. But most teams who are already sure of progress before this third match will want to ensure some game starved players get a bit of time on the pitch in case they are needed later so I will not be surprised to see the likes of Henderson and Maguire - and Sancho - getting at least part of the match.

Certainly wouldn't rule out Scotland beating Croatia. They are about due to actually put a couple in the net...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 22 Jun 2021, 11:50 am

Honestly miss me with the trying to finish second stuff. Gonna have to play a big team at some point if you want to win the tournament
GSC
GSC

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 22 Jun 2021, 11:56 am

Mount and Chilwell confirmed as unavailable for today's game. Will be able to come back in the last 16 if England finish first.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next