The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bledisloe Cup

+23
ebop
Brendan
Collapse2005
demosthenes
George Carlin
sensisball
Duty281
RiscaGame
RDW
aucklandlaurie
formerly known as Sam
westisbest
Old Man
MichaelT
protea438
bsando
TightHEAD
jimbopip
No 7&1/2
mikey_dragon
doctor_grey
BamBam
Rugby Fan
27 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Bledisloe Cup

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 04 Aug 2021, 2:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

Wallabies coach Dave Rennie says a good portion of his squad is “pretty angry” at the behaviour of winger Marika Koroibete, back-rower Isi Naisarani and prop Pone Fa’amausili after a late night drinking session resulted in the trio being stood down for Saturday’s Bledisloe Cup opener against the All Blacks.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/three-wallabies-dropped-from-bledisloe-opener-after-drinking-session-20210804-p58fw0.html

Rugby Fan
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 6595
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down


Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by doctor_grey Sat 14 Aug 2021, 11:25 am

Duty281 wrote:Loved seeing the intensity in NZ's defence even when they were 30-odd in front. Australia hit the 'off' switch immediately after that mangled line-out when the Kiwis had just been brought down to 14.

SA/Argentina should be closer later today.
I know this is out of left field, but if Los Pumas play well against the Boks, does that make them a viable opposition for the Lions?

doctor_grey

Posts : 9619
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Old Man Sat 14 Aug 2021, 11:26 am

If they have their best players available

Old Man

Posts : 2293
Join date : 2019-08-27

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by doctor_grey Sat 14 Aug 2021, 12:12 pm

That would be the key - if they have the best players available.

The Argentine Rugby diaspora is significant and, though not as extensive as the SA diaspora, their players are now everywhere plugging holes in local talent pools with players who are quite good.

doctor_grey

Posts : 9619
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by sensisball Sat 14 Aug 2021, 12:46 pm

Also there would be no quality warm up games before the tests

sensisball

Posts : 677
Join date : 2011-02-17
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Duty281 Sat 14 Aug 2021, 1:09 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Loved seeing the intensity in NZ's defence even when they were 30-odd in front. Australia hit the 'off' switch immediately after that mangled line-out when the Kiwis had just been brought down to 14.

SA/Argentina should be closer later today.
I know this is out of left field, but if Los Pumas play well against the Boks, does that make them a viable opposition for the Lions?

I'd like to see them play consistently well in the Rugby Championship (e.g. regularly finishing above Australia) before that could be considered. I only think today's game will be close (ish) because the South Africans aren't fielding a full-strength team.

Duty281

Posts : 25915
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 26
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Duty281 Sat 14 Aug 2021, 1:10 pm

sensisball wrote:Also there would be no quality warm up games before the tests

No change then? Whistle

Duty281

Posts : 25915
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 26
Location : Not having Chance on here

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by bsando Sun 15 Aug 2021, 9:17 am

RDW wrote:Absolute massacre!

There was a lot to like in the wallabies performance for the first 41 minutes but that has got to be one of the worst 2nd half collapses on top flight rugby in a long time. The momentum shift was brutal and Australia just fell apart.

ABs never really had to get out of 2nd gear really. Will be interesting to see how they get on against teams that don't make those basic mistakes.

A lot to ponder for Rennie. It was a shame to see Aus deflate once again under the inevitable AB periods of intense pressure. Ultimately they still look a very young side compared with the All Blacks who have a very good balance of youth and experience in their squad.

I thought the wallabies got unlucky in the first half as the ref missed a clear high tackle moments before a runaway NZ try. A different ref would have referred that incident for a closer look. It just goes to show how inconsistent the reffing is across world rugby and the work they’ve got on their hands prior to the 2023 RWC to get the balance right. No one wants the long winded debates we saw during the Lions tour but over the shoulder, high tackles can’t continue to go unpunished in free flowing games.

bsando

Posts : 3485
Join date : 2011-11-27
Age : 32
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 15 Aug 2021, 11:30 am

So Australia might scrap the Giteau law. That would give them access to Skelton and the Arnold twins, just to name 3.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12779
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by doctor_grey Sun 15 Aug 2021, 12:42 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:So Australia might scrap the Giteau law. That would give them access to Skelton and the Arnold twins, just to name 3.
That's the 60 cap rule?

doctor_grey

Posts : 9619
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by George Carlin Thu 19 Aug 2021, 12:16 pm

What has the quality of the games been like to date?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 15103
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : United Arab Emirates

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Old Man Thu 19 Aug 2021, 12:28 pm

Depends who you ask, the Wallaby All Black game was a free for all with 11 tries scored, Australia basically throwing three intercept passes in two matches, having poor defensive discipline, not having patience in keeping defensive structure, but for those who love to see tries a festival.

The SA Argentina game was more of the Lions toour, but with more game play from Argentina, the Boks scored some nice tries, unfortunately Argentina didn’t get any tries.

What was interesting though, the Boks made 11 changes to their starting line up and they performed well.

Interest to not the Boks have only conceded four tries in their last ten tests. Must be some kind of record.

The hype about SA and NZ matches is gaining momentum. The media from NZ and England saying the All. Blacks must stop the Springboks as what they are doing is a travesty to rugby

Old Man

Posts : 2293
Join date : 2019-08-27

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 19 Aug 2021, 12:45 pm

Styles make matches but yes what SA have put up so far and what England did in the 6Ns is turgid stuff. Both can play much better and I think Stephen Jones is correct in saying the new laws and actually reffing to existing would improve things.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 19 Aug 2021, 12:46 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:So Australia might scrap the Giteau law. That would give them access to Skelton and the Arnold twins, just to name 3.
That's the 60 cap rule?  

Yes I believe so, there's a separate thread on the matter now too.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12779
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Old Man Thu 19 Aug 2021, 12:49 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Styles make matches but yes what SA have put up so far and what England did in the 6Ns is turgid stuff. Both can play much better and I think Stephen Jones is correct in saying the new laws and actually reffing to existing would improve things.

You are going to find it difficult to convince most SA supporters that Nienaber’s plan need adjusting, Boks have won 15/17 since 2019, they are doubling down on the criticism they have been recieving about their playing style.

Old Man

Posts : 2293
Join date : 2019-08-27

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 19 Aug 2021, 12:58 pm

Old Man wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Styles make matches but yes what SA have put up so far and what England did in the 6Ns is turgid stuff. Both can play much better and I think Stephen Jones is correct in saying the new laws and actually reffing to existing would improve things.

You are going to find it difficult to convince most SA supporters that Nienaber’s plan need adjusting, Boks have won 15/17 since 2019, they are doubling down on the criticism they have been recieving about their playing style.

Yeah, similar to England from 2020. The issue comes when the results aren't there. Lions won that first test and I'm not sure it will live long in the memory.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 19 Aug 2021, 3:43 pm

Ill whack this hear from XV Rugby as the SA NZ aint here yet. They do give permission to share outside the paid site so don't feel guilty as yet:

The All Blacks are about to enter the unknown.

They will probably have to spend the next three months away from home and may have to play two tests against the world champion Springboks in Australia due to Covid restrictions preventing those two highly anticipated Rugby Championship matches from taking place in New Zealand.

From there they could go straight to the United States and Europe for their November tour.

And that’s not all, although the next point may help regain the attention of a New Zealand rugby-watching public which has become used to seeing the All Blacks put big scores on the Wallabies, a state of affairs that may partly explain why Eden Park was only half full last weekend.

That is, there is also a large question mark over how the All Blacks will cope against a truly big and physical pack of the type the Boks generally provide. New Zealand had no answers against the giant England forwards at the World Cup in Japan two years ago and there will be genuine intrigue about how they’ll cope against the South Africans following the All Blacks’ historic defeat by Argentina in the Rugby Championship last year in which their waves of attack were ineffective against the Pumas’ greater physicality.

Sam Whitelock
Argentina shocked New Zealand with their game plan and ferocity in the tackle in their historic 2021 victory. (Photo by David Gray/Getty Images)
This is said to be one of the reasons why the New Zealand Rugby board is holding off extending head coach Ian Foster’s contract which runs out at the end of the year; a waiting game likely to be far more comfortable for the board than Foster and indeed his assistants who can’t plan with any certainty beyond 2021.

Providing some relief for Foster and company is the fact their side have locked away the Bledisloe Cup for yet another year – the 19th on the trot – following the recent 57-22 victory over Australia which may qualify as the most compelling of their reign. They played with ambition and skill and were far more clear-sighted about the way they wanted to play than the Wallabies who appeared utterly broken by the time David Havili went over for the All Blacks’ eighth try well after the 80 minutes was up.

Another crumb of comfort as they prepare for two tests against the Boks and Eben Etzebeth and Lood de Jager et al, is how well Sam Whitelock is playing at this stage of his career; a man who appears emboldened rather than hindered by the extra burden of the captaincy in Sam Cane’s continued injury absence.

Whitelock, 32, has always had the ability to strike gold in terms of his decision making when leading the Crusaders but his recent performance in inevitably choosing the right option when presented with penalties for the All Blacks, along with his influence in the lineout and around the field in the tight stuff, helped his side hit the jackpot against the Wallabies.

I had a couple of texts from mates who I respect in the game tonight and they said Sam Whitelock was huge tonight, and I agree with them.

All Blacks forwards coach John Plumtree
At 21-15 to the All Blacks at the start of the second half and with Australia presented with the ideal attacking opportunity of a lineout close to the opposition try-line after Ardie Savea had been shown a yellow card, a not-straight throw was probably just as indicative of the pressure Whitelock was putting on the visitors’ set-piece as it was the competence of thrower Brendon Paenga-Amosa.

Whitelock’s defence around the fringes was outstanding and while Brodie Retallick probably got more attention for the way he finished a long-range try started in their own 22m area by the Ioane brothers, Rieko and Akira, Whitelock was a hugely influential figure for his commitment and work-rate on the other side of the ball.

“I had a couple of texts from mates who I respect in the game tonight and they said Sam Whitelock was huge tonight, and I agree with them,” All Blacks forwards coach John Plumtree said afterwards.

“He’s led this team beautifully from the start of the year and he put in a real captain’s performance tonight. The Aussies came at us up front, probably harder this week than last, and we stayed really composed. He leads that from the front.”


Sam Whitelock was at his ferocious best in the All Blacks’ opening two wins over the Wallabies. (Photo by Hannah Peters/Getty Images)
That sort of form bodes well for the tests against the Springboks scheduled for the end of next month and start of October. Retallick’s does too. Because while the Boks showed in their 2-1 series victory over the British and Irish Lions recently, they have one heck of a Plan A; it’s based on a breakdown and defensive ferocity anchored by a powerful set-piece and backed up by the predatory finishing abilities of their outside backs – in particular, Cheslin Kolbe.

Unfortunately, perhaps, and Lions’ replacement first-five Finn Russell hinted at it after the third test, the Lions didn’t play enough rugby in South Africa to force the Boks outside their comfort zone. Whether or not the Boks have a Plan B wasn’t immediately obvious but the All Blacks will be intent on forcing them into one and their playmakers such as Richie Mo’unga and Beauden Barrett and finishers such as Rieko Ioane, Will Jordan, Sevu Reece and Damian McKenzie have the ability to make life difficult for them.

But in order to do that the All Blacks will first need their big men to fire.

Another forward whose form is likely to boost the All Blacks considerably over the next five tests – the All Blacks are scheduled to play Australia on August 28 and then Argentina twice before meeting South Africa – is hooker Samisoni Taukei’aho, whose muscular presence and bustling running was the near-perfect back-up to the excellent Codie Taylor in Bledisloe II.

The Boks will defend differently and probably smarter than the Wallabies and they are unlikely to offer the All Blacks the same quick-ball platform from the breakdown.

In reviewing the performance, Foster and Plumtree will probably agree that all of their forwards shone against the Wallabies, including flankers Dalton Papalii and Akira Ioane, the latter with a breakout performance which hints at a potentially long stint as the No 6 incumbent, and the always industrious Savea.

Last year consistency was an issue with the All Blacks, who won only half their tests in 2020, and there are likely to be changes to the line-up for the third Bledisloe (wherever it ends up being held) with Beauden Barrett, in need of game time, a big chance to start in the No 10 jersey.

Maintaining their momentum will be important as they continue towards their goal of regaining the mantle of the world’s number one team, and recent changes on World Rugby’s table saw the All Blacks cutting the Boks’ lead at the top by 0.18 points. South Africa are at 94.20 and the All Blacks second on 89.29. Australia are now eighth on 83.14, having fallen behind the seventh-placed Argentina (83.15).

The Boks will defend differently and probably smarter than the Wallabies and they are unlikely to offer the All Blacks the same quick-ball platform from the breakdown but the dynamism and downright excitement every player showed when given an attacking opportunity was reminiscent of the All Blacks’ form in the latter stages of the 2015 World Cup.


The Springboks were unsurprisingly combative in their series win over the Lions. (Photo by EJ Langner/Gallo Images)
Of them all, Whitelock was the standout and his leadership and influence wasn’t limited to his on-field performance. With the All Blacks set to leave for Australia in the coming days with no idea of when they might return, ensuring minds were focused for Bledisloe II was key to their good performance and Whitelock played a big part in that, according to Foster.

“As a group we’ve learned not to hide information from each other, have conversations, agree on what we know and don’t know, and roll our sleeves up,” he said.

“Sam has led this team magnificently well in that space. It takes a lot when you have got a lot of distractions around to stay focused on the task, and I think we saw a team that was pretty focused.”

“It’s never taken for granted,” Whitelock said of a Bledisloe Cup that has seemingly taken up permanent residence this side of the ditch. “It’s very, very special. It’s a trophy we know a lot of the history about, the highs and lows. For us as Kiwis it doesn’t matter what the sport is, everyone loves to go out and compete against the neighbour.”

Now for the Springboks.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 20 Aug 2021, 8:44 am

NZ game cancelled due to their lock down.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 20 Aug 2021, 11:03 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:NZ game cancelled due to their lock down.

Thanks for this, ruined my weekend...

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12779
Join date : 2015-07-25

BamBam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 20 Aug 2021, 12:12 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:NZ game cancelled due to their lock down.

Thanks for this, ruined my weekend...
I've already bought the beers for watching it on TV. Now I don't know what to do...

Rugby Fan
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 6595
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 20 Aug 2021, 1:13 pm

Will this mean the tournament is brought to an early conclusion or will the other remaining games go ahead?

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 16637
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 34
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by demosthenes Fri 20 Aug 2021, 2:02 pm

So what effect would 28:0 losses against NZ for all cancelled matches have on the tournament? I assume that this will be the outcome, especially as if reading the coverage it was a unilateral decision by the NZ Board.

demosthenes

Posts : 542
Join date : 2013-10-23
Location : Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 20 Aug 2021, 2:29 pm

I don't think there has been any agreement made public regarding what would happen if a match had to be cancelled. I can't see NZ being given a loss.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 20 Aug 2021, 3:40 pm

Dave Rennie was fairly peed to say the least, AR werent consulted or advised at all before the NZRU pulled the plug. They found out on twitter.

Collapse2005

Posts : 5506
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 20 Aug 2021, 7:11 pm

I think the Aussies have said that NZRU were talking positively about the game taking place just before announcing it was off in Twitter. Somewhat of a kick in the teeth to the Aussies who'd sold 60,000 tickets for the game in Perth.

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 16637
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 34
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Brendan Sat 21 Aug 2021, 12:01 am

Have to feel the NZ/Oz relationship is really becoming toxic. Seems like they ars constantly fighting.

On the NZRU statement it seems a bit rich that they didn't do all they could to go to Perth. Surely they owe Oz that after the 2 tests in NZ. It also seems irrelevant about the remaining 4 games to determine if they were going to Oz for their game. Surely the NZRU would have known there was covid issues and thought to have got them to Perth quickly like Oz did instead of waiting till the last minute.

It is a bit funny/ironic that SA having bad Covid issues managed to have all their matches without problem but the countries with hardly any cases cause all the disruption.

If I were SA and Agentina I would look to play a third test next week and then send the players to their clubs.

Don't think the RC should be played in Europe if SA can host it.

Brendan

Posts : 3994
Join date : 2012-04-08
Location : Cork

formerly known as Sam and mikey_dragon like this post

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by ebop Sun 22 Aug 2021, 4:20 am

For anyone interested, a more accurate representation of the situation, and not the cry baby self-serving rants from Rugby Australia and Dave KangaRennie, that once again, attempt to throw NZ under the bus



…………………………………..

From the NZ Herald
Rugby Australia have only been presenting half the facts about the All Blacks' withdrawal from Perth last week, writes Gregor Paul.

The problem with having played the bad guy once before is that New Zealand Rugby appears destined to be forever cast in that role by their Sanzaar partners.

A global pandemic is raging, closing borders, forcing lockdowns and causing logistical chaos, but somehow this, and many other significant facts related to it, have been ignored to enable Australian rugby administrators to indulge in their new favourite game of trying to do what their players so painfully can't, and beat up on New Zealand.

Headlines have made it around the world in the last few days, portraying the rage Rugby Australia is feeling at supposedly hearing on social media about a unilateral, out of the blue decision by NZR to pull out of the third Bledisloe Cup test scheduled for Perth on August 28.

The problem was, however, that the Australian version of events was an epic failure to present the full story.

NZR were the bad guys last year when they unilaterally disbanded Super Rugby without consultation.

And NZR were the bad guys again when they condescendingly invited Australian franchises to bid to rejoin the competition.

But on this occasion, NZR are not the bad guys, however much RA wants to pin that badge on them.

The uncertainty about where and when the Rugby Championship will be played is not being driven by the usual petty Sanzaar politics and self-interest, but by a global pandemic that continues to rage through Oceania to such an extent that the Springboks and Pumas – both in South Africa – can't get into Australia.

This salient fact has gone missing from the RA narrative and yet it is the one central to understanding the situation and justifying NZR's decision to keep the All Blacks at home for now.

What happened is that early last week New South Wales's state government decided, with Delta cases presenting at unprecedented levels, it could no longer allow Argentina and South Africa to quarantine there.

That left Sanzaar having to negotiate with other state governments to see where the two incoming teams could be housed.

Western Australia agreed to allow the All Blacks to complete a soft, seven-day quarantine where they could train and then play the Wallabies in Perth on August 28.

But they said no to housing the South Africans and Argentinians and said no to hosting any other Rugby Championship games.

At which point – believed to be Wednesday/Thursday last week – Sanzaar, in consultation with its four member countries, scrambled three potential hosting options for the remainder of the tournament [excluding the test between New Zealand and Australia which was still set for Perth].

The options, in order of preference, were Queensland, UK and South Africa.

Queensland, to be viable, would require confirmation the state government could not only find a facility in which to isolate the Pumas and Springboks, but also agree to it being a soft quarantine where they could fully train.

If those two teams could be successfully housed on those terms, then New Zealand would have flown to Perth on Saturday August 21, played the Wallabies on August 28 and then moved to Queensland for the rest of the tournament.

But as Sanzaar and RA were aware, because there was constant dialogue all week, NZR needed confirmation about the Queensland situation by 2pm on Friday August 20 to commit to getting on the plane.

Again, as Sanzaar and RA were aware, NZR had outlined their position that they couldn't send the All Blacks to Perth without confirmation that the rest of the Rugby Championship would be played in Australia.

As both Sanzaar and RA were aware, if the All Blacks travelled to Perth to play on August 28 and the Rugby Championship was cancelled, they would be stuck there – unable to return home until November 23.

When the 2pm deadline passed without confirmation from the Queensland government about their ability to offer quarantine places to South Africa and Argentina, New Zealand publicly announced they would not be travelling to Perth the following day.

This was not unilateral, unexpected or uncommunicated. Not only had it been discussed at Sanzaar executive level, but All Blacks captain Sam Whitelock had been in regular contact with Wallabies captain Michael Hooper keeping him appraised of the situation and New Zealand's intent.

It's also understood that well in advance of New Zealand confirming their decision not to travel to Perth, Sanzaar had been informed that the Springboks and Pumas had cancelled their charter flight to Australia which was due to leave South Africa on August 22.

RA was in a desperate hurry to blame the All Blacks for endangering the Rugby Championship going ahead, when they must have known that both the Pumas and Springboks had made their decision not to travel to Australia way in advance of NZR announcing their plans.

Far from being the bad guy, NZR made a responsible, practical decision – one which respects the welfare of their players and, just as importantly, creates a wider range of options as to where and when the rearranged fixture against the Wallabies can be played.

What's also not been put in the public domain is that RA, prior to Friday, were adamant with NZR that the game in Perth could not be played the following weekend on September 4.

Now that the All Blacks have stayed at home and been publicly denounced for it, RA has confirmed that playing in Perth on September 4 is an option after all.

The only conclusion that can be reached after analysis of these events is that RA, having sold 60,000 tickets to play in Perth on August 28, were upset that their attempt to pressure NZR into coming to fulfil the fixture on that specific day had failed.

The Wallabies, who have already been on the road for several weeks and have been parked up in Perth since they left Auckland on August 15, were understandably disappointed that there won't be a game on August 28.

But NZR's decision to not travel has neither killed the fixture nor damaged the integrity of the Rugby Championship.

If Queensland can confirm early this week that it can quarantine the Pumas and Springboks and host tests, then the All Blacks will fly to Perth, do their seven days in soft isolation and play the Wallabies on September 4 before travelling to Australia's Sunshine State.

Alternatively, if Queensland is ruled out, then the Rugby Championship will shift to the UK and that may still see the All Blacks travel to Western Australia to play the Wallabies on September 4 and then head north after.

Or, if that is not feasible, the game will be rescheduled – with October 9 and Wembley shaping as the most likely date and venue.

One final point NZR has made clear to RA and Sanzaar is that the remaining fixture between the All Blacks and Wallabies is not, in their eyes, the third Bledisloe but the second Rugby Championship test.

The Bledisloe is safely locked up at NZR headquarters in Wellington – a final fact which may be driving RA to only present half the facts about what really happened last week.

……………
ebop
ebop

Posts : 5094
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by ebop Sun 22 Aug 2021, 6:33 am

“The All Blacks are likely to board a plane to Perth next week for the third, rescheduled Bledisloe Cup test against the Wallabies on September 4”

“The difference between next week and last, when New Zealand Rugby sparked an outcry by pulling pin on the All Blacks travelling for the scheduled August 28 Bledisloe test in Perth, is the Rugby Championship destination is expected to be finalised by Tuesday or Wednesday.”

“The continued uncertainty surrounding whether Europe, Queensland or South Africa will host the four-nation tournament is the rationale NZ Rugby cited for not sending the All Blacks last Saturday.”

There you go Australia
ebop
ebop

Posts : 5094
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by lostinwales Sun 22 Aug 2021, 1:52 pm

I think you missed the point ebop.

In these current conditions cancellations happen. Its a fact of life. Letting your opponents find out via twitter however is just a little disappointing.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Posts : 11348
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by ebop Mon 23 Aug 2021, 7:33 am

That’s the narrative RA have put out to discredit NZR and give themselves the high road. I doubt they found out by social media. But it sounds like a good story if you’re trying to throw someone under the bus. Anyways, the game will be played and Australia will have their cake. Hope it’s a good game and hope the ABs turn up as Australia usually win the dead rubber and start thinking they’re on top again.
ebop
ebop

Posts : 5094
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Old Man Mon 23 Aug 2021, 7:53 am

I doubt NZ will have a problem showing up, it might be a dead rubber as far as the Bledisloe is concerned, but it is still an important match in regards to the RC

Old Man

Posts : 2293
Join date : 2019-08-27

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 23 Aug 2021, 8:09 am

ebop wrote:That’s the narrative RA have put out to discredit NZR and give themselves the high road. I doubt they found out by social media. But it sounds like a good story if you’re trying to throw someone under the bus. Anyways, the game will be played and Australia will have their cake. Hope it’s a good game and hope the ABs turn up as Australia usually win the dead rubber and start thinking they’re on top again.

Sounds like its the truth. I thought it initially it was a bit of government pressure on rugby but now sounds as if NZ are throwing their weight around a bit:

'“Without complete certainty on the team’s next movements around the Rugby Championship we felt it was prudent for the team to stay put in New Zealand until SANZAAR have announced the full tournament schedule,” Robinson said.

“Once the team leaves our shores, they currently can’t return until November 23 post their northern tour, so given the uncertainty, it makes sense to pause and get more clarity on these fixtures.

“We remain 100 per cent committed to playing in the entire Fortinet Rugby Championship in 2021 and are working closely with SANZAAR to look at a range of options to reschedule these important matches.”'

Are they trying to get their away games moved?

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Brendan Mon 23 Aug 2021, 12:22 pm

NZRU still haven't explained why didn't have the team in Oz previously. As far as I know Oz went straight to a hotel in Perth but NZRU sent their players home to be with their families thus popping any covid bubble they had.

SA and Argentina have been in bubbles as was the Lions and France. If the NZRU are happy to be in a bubble in Europe till end of November but would go a week early to avoid any issues seems a bit odd. They had their home game with fans.

Not sure if NZRU leadership changed or if Hansen was outspoken so we didn't hear the Union but over the last two years we seem to hear them more. RA was a basket case and still is a bit.

Brendan

Posts : 3994
Join date : 2012-04-08
Location : Cork

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 Aug 2021, 8:11 am

All sorted then (BBC):

'Queensland will host eight of the remaining Rugby Championship Tests after a Covid-enforced change to the schedule.

New Zealand and Australia are currently subject to lockdowns and the All Blacks cancelled two games last week including their Bledisloe Cup match in Perth.

But Queensland, largely free of coronavirus, has been deemed safe to host all four nations.

The new fixtures will be double-headers over four weekends from 12 September.

The Championship kicked off at Eden Park in New Zealand on 14 August, with the hosts thrashing the Wallabies 57-22.

South Africa then hosted two games against Argentina, winning both to top the table, before the competition was thrown into jeopardy as New Zealand's snap lockdown after a first coronavirus case in six months led to cancellations.

Three venues in Queensland will now stage the upcoming rounds, except for the Australia-New Zealand game which is still set for Perth albeit with a date yet to be confirmed.

The Gold Coast will host New Zealand v Argentina and Australia v South Africa in a back-to-back double-header on 12 September in round three, as well as the round six ties.

The other rounds will be played in Brisbane and Townsville.

"We thought last year was tough when we had to implement a Tri-Nations tournament in Australia with South Africa absent due to the pandemic," said Brendan Morris, chief executive of tournament organisers Sanzaar.

"But the current disruption caused by the Delta variant of Covid-19 has seen government authorities tighten up border biosecurity measures substantially.

"We had no option but to basically move the remainder of the Rugby Championship to Queensland."

Meanwhile, New Zealand Rugby have announced the reappointment of coach Ian Foster until the 2023 World Cup.@

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Aug 2021, 8:36 am

Any games New Zealand have cancelled should be chalked up as a loss for New Zealand and full points to the opposing side.

LordDowlais

Posts : 15057
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Old Man Tue 24 Aug 2021, 8:39 am

The match Nz postponed is being played 4 September

Old Man

Posts : 2293
Join date : 2019-08-27

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Aug 2021, 8:47 am

Old Man wrote:The match Nz postponed is being played 4 September

Yep, I know, but only because Australian rugby is skint, and they need the game played. The way they have gone about this they should be punished.

LordDowlais

Posts : 15057
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 Aug 2021, 8:49 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Old Man wrote:The match Nz postponed is being played 4 September

Yep, I know, but only because Australian rugby is skint, and they need the game played. The way they have gone about this they should be punished.

Dont think there was anything put in place ahead of the tournament which dealt with cancellations due to covid etc so always incredibly unlikely to result in forfeits, especially when only postponed.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by doctor_grey Tue 24 Aug 2021, 1:34 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Old Man wrote:The match Nz postponed is being played 4 September

Yep, I know, but only because Australian rugby is skint, and they need the game played. The way they have gone about this they should be punished.

Dont think there was anything put in place ahead of the tournament which dealt with cancellations due to covid etc so always incredibly unlikely to result in forfeits, especially when only postponed.
It certainly seems that you’re right that nothing was put in place. But with the world the way it is right now, don’t you think that’s negligent or just bizarre? I would’ve thought that all professional sports would have mitigation strategies and back up plans worked out well in advance.

doctor_grey

Posts : 9619
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Aug 2021, 1:38 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Old Man wrote:The match Nz postponed is being played 4 September

Yep, I know, but only because Australian rugby is skint, and they need the game played. The way they have gone about this they should be punished.

Dont think there was anything put in place ahead of the tournament which dealt with cancellations due to covid etc so always incredibly unlikely to result in forfeits, especially when only postponed.
It certainly seems that you’re right that nothing was put in place. But with the world the way it is right now, don’t you think that’s negligent or just bizarre?  I would’ve thought that all professional sports would have mitigation strategies and back up plans worked out well in advance.

Yes, for example, the Lions tests were all planned to be played in one venue when they realised that covid would be an issue in the country/region. It's not rocket science is it ? Also, I do not know how accurate the news is, but apparently New Zealand allowed all their players to break their bubble and go home to see their family and friends, come on.

LordDowlais

Posts : 15057
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by BamBam Tue 24 Aug 2021, 1:41 pm

Given your usual news sources, probably not very accurate at all Dowlais

BamBam

Posts : 16938
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 Aug 2021, 1:51 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Old Man wrote:The match Nz postponed is being played 4 September

Yep, I know, but only because Australian rugby is skint, and they need the game played. The way they have gone about this they should be punished.

Dont think there was anything put in place ahead of the tournament which dealt with cancellations due to covid etc so always incredibly unlikely to result in forfeits, especially when only postponed.
It certainly seems that you’re right that nothing was put in place. But with the world the way it is right now, don’t you think that’s negligent or just bizarre?  I would’ve thought that all professional sports would have mitigation strategies and back up plans worked out well in advance.

Does seem odd but I suppose it means they don't get painted into a corner by events, simply then have to make decisions on the fly. The 6 nations didn't have a plan in place, nor did the Lions. Lack of planning or means that they can give some wriggle room to ensure it gets played? I'd go with the latter.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Aug 2021, 1:53 pm

I thought it was correct, players were allowed to leave the bubble:-

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/bledisloe-cup-rugby-all-blacks-to-leave-some-players-at-home-next-week/4VEA47JX7PEF7QUSLC6L6S3L4Q/

This bit in particular:-
One day after securing the Bledisloe Cup with their commanding 57-22 victory over the Wallabies at Eden Park, the All Blacks disbanded to spend a week with their families before departing for potentially three months away from home. wrote:

LordDowlais

Posts : 15057
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Old Man Tue 24 Aug 2021, 1:55 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Old Man wrote:The match Nz postponed is being played 4 September

Yep, I know, but only because Australian rugby is skint, and they need the game played. The way they have gone about this they should be punished.

Dont think there was anything put in place ahead of the tournament which dealt with cancellations due to covid etc so always incredibly unlikely to result in forfeits, especially when only postponed.
It certainly seems that you’re right that nothing was put in place. But with the world the way it is right now, don’t you think that’s negligent or just bizarre?  I would’ve thought that all professional sports would have mitigation strategies and back up plans worked out well in advance.

Yes, for example, the Lions tests were all planned to be played in one venue when they realised that covid would be an issue in the country/region. It's not rocket science is it ? Also, I do not know how accurate the news is, but apparently New Zealand allowed all their players to break their bubble and go home to see their family and friends, come on.
That is correct, the All Blacks went home after the match got cancelled for this weekend

Old Man

Posts : 2293
Join date : 2019-08-27

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Aug 2021, 1:56 pm

Old Man wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Old Man wrote:The match Nz postponed is being played 4 September

Yep, I know, but only because Australian rugby is skint, and they need the game played. The way they have gone about this they should be punished.

Dont think there was anything put in place ahead of the tournament which dealt with cancellations due to covid etc so always incredibly unlikely to result in forfeits, especially when only postponed.
It certainly seems that you’re right that nothing was put in place. But with the world the way it is right now, don’t you think that’s negligent or just bizarre?  I would’ve thought that all professional sports would have mitigation strategies and back up plans worked out well in advance.

Yes, for example, the Lions tests were all planned to be played in one venue when they realised that covid would be an issue in the country/region. It's not rocket science is it ? Also, I do not know how accurate the news is, but apparently New Zealand allowed all their players to break their bubble and go home to see their family and friends, come on.
That is correct, the All Blacks went home after the match got cancelled for this weekend

Nope, they went home the day after they beat Australia to retain the cup. OK

LordDowlais

Posts : 15057
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 Aug 2021, 1:57 pm

Seems fair enough.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by ebop Tue 24 Aug 2021, 2:31 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I thought it was correct, players were allowed to leave the bubble:-

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/bledisloe-cup-rugby-all-blacks-to-leave-some-players-at-home-next-week/4VEA47JX7PEF7QUSLC6L6S3L4Q/

This bit in particular:-
NZ haven’t needed bubbles since March 2021 LordDowalais. We’ve been living a generally normal existence since then. That article pre-dates the recent out break, and of course, players disbanded as we’ve been living normal lives.  Covid blew up in Australia over a month ago. A traveller from Australia brought it into NZ and we went into our first, what I would call, ‘serious’ lockdown (level 4) since May 2020 last Tuesday.
ebop
ebop

Posts : 5094
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 25 Aug 2021, 10:57 am

ebop wrote:For anyone interested, a more accurate representation of the situation, and not the cry baby self-serving rants from Rugby Australia and Dave KangaRennie, that once again, attempt to throw NZ under the bus



…………………………………..

From the NZ Herald
Rugby Australia have only been presenting half the facts about the All Blacks' withdrawal from Perth last week, writes Gregor Paul.

The problem with having played the bad guy once before is that New Zealand Rugby appears destined to be forever cast in that role by their Sanzaar partners.

A global pandemic is raging, closing borders, forcing lockdowns and causing logistical chaos, but somehow this, and many other significant facts related to it, have been ignored to enable Australian rugby administrators to indulge in their new favourite game of trying to do what their players so painfully can't, and beat up on New Zealand.

Headlines have made it around the world in the last few days, portraying the rage Rugby Australia is feeling at supposedly hearing on social media about a unilateral, out of the blue decision by NZR to pull out of the third Bledisloe Cup test scheduled for Perth on August 28.

The problem was, however, that the Australian version of events was an epic failure to present the full story.

NZR were the bad guys last year when they unilaterally disbanded Super Rugby without consultation.

And NZR were the bad guys again when they condescendingly invited Australian franchises to bid to rejoin the competition.

But on this occasion, NZR are not the bad guys, however much RA wants to pin that badge on them.

The uncertainty about where and when the Rugby Championship will be played is not being driven by the usual petty Sanzaar politics and self-interest, but by a global pandemic that continues to rage through Oceania to such an extent that the Springboks and Pumas – both in South Africa – can't get into Australia.

This salient fact has gone missing from the RA narrative and yet it is the one central to understanding the situation and justifying NZR's decision to keep the All Blacks at home for now.

What happened is that early last week New South Wales's state government decided, with Delta cases presenting at unprecedented levels, it could no longer allow Argentina and South Africa to quarantine there.

That left Sanzaar having to negotiate with other state governments to see where the two incoming teams could be housed.

Western Australia agreed to allow the All Blacks to complete a soft, seven-day quarantine where they could train and then play the Wallabies in Perth on August 28.

But they said no to housing the South Africans and Argentinians and said no to hosting any other Rugby Championship games.

At which point – believed to be Wednesday/Thursday last week – Sanzaar, in consultation with its four member countries, scrambled three potential hosting options for the remainder of the tournament [excluding the test between New Zealand and Australia which was still set for Perth].

The options, in order of preference, were Queensland, UK and South Africa.

Queensland, to be viable, would require confirmation the state government could not only find a facility in which to isolate the Pumas and Springboks, but also agree to it being a soft quarantine where they could fully train.

If those two teams could be successfully housed on those terms, then New Zealand would have flown to Perth on Saturday August 21, played the Wallabies on August 28 and then moved to Queensland for the rest of the tournament.

But as Sanzaar and RA were aware, because there was constant dialogue all week, NZR needed confirmation about the Queensland situation by 2pm on Friday August 20 to commit to getting on the plane.

Again, as Sanzaar and RA were aware, NZR had outlined their position that they couldn't send the All Blacks to Perth without confirmation that the rest of the Rugby Championship would be played in Australia.

As both Sanzaar and RA were aware, if the All Blacks travelled to Perth to play on August 28 and the Rugby Championship was cancelled, they would be stuck there – unable to return home until November 23.

When the 2pm deadline passed without confirmation from the Queensland government about their ability to offer quarantine places to South Africa and Argentina, New Zealand publicly announced they would not be travelling to Perth the following day.

This was not unilateral, unexpected or uncommunicated. Not only had it been discussed at Sanzaar executive level, but All Blacks captain Sam Whitelock had been in regular contact with Wallabies captain Michael Hooper keeping him appraised of the situation and New Zealand's intent.

It's also understood that well in advance of New Zealand confirming their decision not to travel to Perth, Sanzaar had been informed that the Springboks and Pumas had cancelled their charter flight to Australia which was due to leave South Africa on August 22.

RA was in a desperate hurry to blame the All Blacks for endangering the Rugby Championship going ahead, when they must have known that both the Pumas and Springboks had made their decision not to travel to Australia way in advance of NZR announcing their plans.

Far from being the bad guy, NZR made a responsible, practical decision – one which respects the welfare of their players and, just as importantly, creates a wider range of options as to where and when the rearranged fixture against the Wallabies can be played.

What's also not been put in the public domain is that RA, prior to Friday, were adamant with NZR that the game in Perth could not be played the following weekend on September 4.

Now that the All Blacks have stayed at home and been publicly denounced for it, RA has confirmed that playing in Perth on September 4 is an option after all.

The only conclusion that can be reached after analysis of these events is that RA, having sold 60,000 tickets to play in Perth on August 28, were upset that their attempt to pressure NZR into coming to fulfil the fixture on that specific day had failed.

The Wallabies, who have already been on the road for several weeks and have been parked up in Perth since they left Auckland on August 15, were understandably disappointed that there won't be a game on August 28.

But NZR's decision to not travel has neither killed the fixture nor damaged the integrity of the Rugby Championship.

If Queensland can confirm early this week that it can quarantine the Pumas and Springboks and host tests, then the All Blacks will fly to Perth, do their seven days in soft isolation and play the Wallabies on September 4 before travelling to Australia's Sunshine State.

Alternatively, if Queensland is ruled out, then the Rugby Championship will shift to the UK and that may still see the All Blacks travel to Western Australia to play the Wallabies on September 4 and then head north after.

Or, if that is not feasible, the game will be rescheduled – with October 9 and Wembley shaping as the most likely date and venue.

One final point NZR has made clear to RA and Sanzaar is that the remaining fixture between the All Blacks and Wallabies is not, in their eyes, the third Bledisloe but the second Rugby Championship test.

The Bledisloe is safely locked up at NZR headquarters in Wellington – a final fact which may be driving RA to only present half the facts about what really happened last week.

……………

NZ rugby are their own worst enemy, forever playing the victim while routinely demonstrating they only care about themselves. Very disrespectful to their nearest neighbours and biggest supporters.

Collapse2005

Posts : 5506
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 25 Aug 2021, 11:09 am

What's disrespectful about this situation? I've read that they were informed from the NZ government that the recent restrictions imposed on the country meant that the games would be impacted as the Aus and SA teams couldn't travel. I've also seen that Aus officials complained that their players found out through social media which isn't ideal but leaves enough to question whether Aus rugby offcials were actually told privately and hadn't had time to tell their players themselves.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 24027
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Old Man Wed 25 Aug 2021, 12:31 pm

Well it is all sorted now, RC is going ahead

Old Man

Posts : 2293
Join date : 2019-08-27

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by doctor_grey Wed 25 Aug 2021, 5:26 pm

This whole situation has got to be very difficult for all the players and the staff from each team.

doctor_grey

Posts : 9619
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum