The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

+19
Shotrock
Good Golly I'm Olly
incontinentia
Collapse2005
I'm never wrong
JAS
Be_the_ball
Roller_Coaster
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
Davie
beninho
GPB
McLaren
kwinigolfer
super_realist
Diggers
NedB-H
pedro
23 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 7 Empty This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by pedro Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

RCB was only mentioned as a potential pick in lack of alternatives.

pedro

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 7 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by McLaren Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:49 pm

Crazy. Who thinks they get Tiger for free. Even team USA needs to front up the cash for that asset.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 7 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by GPB Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:11 pm

IMO, the PGAofA was more upset on how it was done. Which was not diplomatically.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:20 am

https://www.balls.ie/amp/golf/rory-mcilroy-golf-486232

Interesting piece on McIlroy's ryder cup.

He was originally due to go out 11th in the singles, but some of the vice captains stepped in to make sure he went out 1st against Schauffle. Weak captaining by Harrington?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:32 am

incontinentia wrote:https://www.balls.ie/amp/golf/rory-mcilroy-golf-486232

He was originally due to go out 11th in the singles, but some of the vice captains stepped in to make sure he went out 1st against Schauffle. Weak captaining by Harrington?
The lineup didn't make much sense to me. I would have thought Harrington would have front-loaded it, which was what they did at Medina, and the US did at Brookline - plus on many other occasions when trailing big. So something like Rahm, Garcia, Rory, Poults. It more looked like he had thrown the names up in the air. But maybe he hoped it would come down to one of the last matches and wanted someone like Rory as 11th.

pedro

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:32 pm

pedro wrote:

The lineup didn't make much sense to me. I would have thought Harrington would have front-loaded it, which was what they did at Medina, and the US did at Brookline - plus on many other occasions when trailing big. So something like Rahm, Garcia, Rory, Poults. It more looked like he had thrown the names up in the air. But maybe he hoped it would come down to one of the last matches and wanted someone like Rory as 11th.

You don't think Team Europe front loaded the lineup?

Rory, Rahm, Sergio, Viktor and Casey were in the first 6 groups.  Its not like they had players that were in good form going into Sunday.

What players do you think should have gone out first?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:23 pm

GPB wrote:

Rory, Rahm, Sergio, Viktor and Casey were in the first 6 groups.  Its not like they had players that were in good form going into Sunday.

It wouldnt really have made a difference, but Rahm deserved to go out 1st and Rory much later based on how they had played up to that point.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:25 pm

Do you think Martin Kaymer wouldve been worth a pick? He has great memories of Whistling and also showed a lot of passion in previous ryder cups.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:11 am

GPB wrote:
pedro wrote:

I mentioned who I would have sent out first. Casey wasn’t one of them

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:49 am

No on 2 counts a) McIlroy stepped up and won the point b) collaborating and taking a consensus view is a different style of management from isolated dictat, you could split the board down the middle on which is an example of weak leadership. If those predisposed to dictatorial unconsultative leadership get their way and it all goes wrong, that’s when they “lose the dressing room”.

Had McIlroy not won the point we could conceivably have been whitewashed or rather redwashed, ok Rahm would probably have beaten Shauffle but then again Rahm was running on empty by Sunday so maybe not

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:49 pm

pedro wrote:
GPB wrote:
pedro wrote:

I mentioned who I would have sent out first. Casey wasn’t one of them

Rahm went #3 off. IMO, the theory of Front Loading goes deeper than sending out your best player #1. Europe needed to win 9 points, not one.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:15 pm

More stories are trickling out about goings on in the Team Europe camp. Apparently Paddy and co completely overlooked the balls players used before making the pairings. The original pairings then had to be re-shuffled late in the week. If true, this is pretty worrying. I recall JT talking about practicing with Tiger's ball for months in advance of a previous Ryder Cup.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/golf/ryder-cup/padraig-harrington-forced-to-scrap-opening-day-ryder-cup-plans-over-ball-issue-40912128.html
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:48 am

Not sure how a Ryder Cup Captain, 5 Vice Captains, 12 players and 12 caddies (plus other team room advisors) could screw this up.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:09 pm

Someone not happy with the Paddy captaincy seems to leasing this stuff. Is he slowly being thrown under the bus?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:44 am

Westwood sells out RC captaincy for Saudi dollars. For someone with no majors is it a good idea to abandon your only legacy?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:24 am

McLaren wrote:Westwood sells out RC captaincy for Saudi dollars. For someone with no majors is it a good idea to abandon your only legacy?
Here is a list of the players who have signed up for this tournament. See Here
Wonder if they will all get releases from their respective tours to play? Also wonder if that will cause any of them NOT to be considered RC Captain, and therefore the talk of Thomas Bjorn being captain again.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:23 am

Humorous Ryder Cup tale

https://golf.com/news/tiger-woods-toilet-paper-funniest-ryder-cup-stories/?amp=1
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:16 pm

Fancy volunteering for the 2023 Ryder Cup? See here

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:00 pm

Ryder Cup: Luke Donald backed by Colin Montgomerie for Marco Simone - https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/60134369

Could be the time for Donald to push for it given Stenson's current predicament?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:40 am

McLaren wrote:Ryder Cup: Luke Donald backed by Colin Montgomerie for Marco Simone - https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/60134369

Could be the time for Donald to push for it given Stenson's current predicament?

What predicament?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:46 pm

Potentially getting overlooked for the RC captaincy if he cosies up with the Saudis.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:17 pm

Stenson named Ryder Cup captain for the European team.

I'm never wrong

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:45 am

Seems you can flirt with the Saudis but as long as you don't take it any further you can still get the RC captains gig.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:53 am

McLaren wrote:Seems you can flirt with the Saudis but as long as you don't take it any further you can still get the RC captains gig.

Mac whilst I don't disagree with the sentiment I think you're farting against thunder on this one probably for a mix of the following reasons

1. Many ET & PGA players flirted much the same, take it to it's logical conclusion, rule them all out you could have the web.com tour v the European challenge tour...Money talks and has no morals and the event will want the best players there.
2. The ET cant really start to get too moralistic it's had events in Saudi the past couple of seasons, it's also had events in China (Hong Kong? Taiwan/Chinese Taipei? Maybe not as bad as Yemen but human rights abusive all the same)
3. There is unfortunately going to be a short/medium term need for oodles more Saudi oil if the west is going to turn the Russian taps off fully
4. He is well liked and respected among the players

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:39 pm

Jas

Just think it is a bit odd that Europe have so many players who played on winning teams and they pick a guy that probably came within a Phil Mickelson meltdown of never teeing it up on the ET again.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7