The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

+22
LadyPutt
TRUSSMAN66
dynamark
Shotrock
Good Golly I'm Olly
incontinentia
Collapse2005
I'm never wrong
JAS
Be_the_ball
Roller_Coaster
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
Davie
beninho
GPB
McLaren
kwinigolfer
super_realist
Diggers
NedB-H
pedro
26 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 7 Empty This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by pedro Mon 01 Oct 2018, 9:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

RCB was only mentioned as a potential pick in lack of alternatives.

pedro

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 7 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by McLaren Thu 30 Sep 2021, 2:49 pm

Crazy. Who thinks they get Tiger for free. Even team USA needs to front up the cash for that asset.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 7 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by GPB Thu 30 Sep 2021, 4:11 pm

IMO, the PGAofA was more upset on how it was done. Which was not diplomatically.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 01 Oct 2021, 8:20 am

https://www.balls.ie/amp/golf/rory-mcilroy-golf-486232

Interesting piece on McIlroy's ryder cup.

He was originally due to go out 11th in the singles, but some of the vice captains stepped in to make sure he went out 1st against Schauffle. Weak captaining by Harrington?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 01 Oct 2021, 9:32 am

incontinentia wrote:https://www.balls.ie/amp/golf/rory-mcilroy-golf-486232

He was originally due to go out 11th in the singles, but some of the vice captains stepped in to make sure he went out 1st against Schauffle. Weak captaining by Harrington?
The lineup didn't make much sense to me. I would have thought Harrington would have front-loaded it, which was what they did at Medina, and the US did at Brookline - plus on many other occasions when trailing big. So something like Rahm, Garcia, Rory, Poults. It more looked like he had thrown the names up in the air. But maybe he hoped it would come down to one of the last matches and wanted someone like Rory as 11th.

pedro

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 01 Oct 2021, 4:32 pm

pedro wrote:

The lineup didn't make much sense to me. I would have thought Harrington would have front-loaded it, which was what they did at Medina, and the US did at Brookline - plus on many other occasions when trailing big. So something like Rahm, Garcia, Rory, Poults. It more looked like he had thrown the names up in the air. But maybe he hoped it would come down to one of the last matches and wanted someone like Rory as 11th.

You don't think Team Europe front loaded the lineup?

Rory, Rahm, Sergio, Viktor and Casey were in the first 6 groups.  Its not like they had players that were in good form going into Sunday.

What players do you think should have gone out first?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 01 Oct 2021, 6:23 pm

GPB wrote:

Rory, Rahm, Sergio, Viktor and Casey were in the first 6 groups.  Its not like they had players that were in good form going into Sunday.

It wouldnt really have made a difference, but Rahm deserved to go out 1st and Rory much later based on how they had played up to that point.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 01 Oct 2021, 6:25 pm

Do you think Martin Kaymer wouldve been worth a pick? He has great memories of Whistling and also showed a lot of passion in previous ryder cups.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 03 Oct 2021, 12:11 am

GPB wrote:
pedro wrote:

I mentioned who I would have sent out first. Casey wasn’t one of them

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 03 Oct 2021, 6:49 am

No on 2 counts a) McIlroy stepped up and won the point b) collaborating and taking a consensus view is a different style of management from isolated dictat, you could split the board down the middle on which is an example of weak leadership. If those predisposed to dictatorial unconsultative leadership get their way and it all goes wrong, that’s when they “lose the dressing room”.

Had McIlroy not won the point we could conceivably have been whitewashed or rather redwashed, ok Rahm would probably have beaten Shauffle but then again Rahm was running on empty by Sunday so maybe not

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 03 Oct 2021, 4:49 pm

pedro wrote:
GPB wrote:
pedro wrote:

I mentioned who I would have sent out first. Casey wasn’t one of them

Rahm went #3 off. IMO, the theory of Front Loading goes deeper than sending out your best player #1. Europe needed to win 9 points, not one.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 03 Oct 2021, 6:15 pm

More stories are trickling out about goings on in the Team Europe camp. Apparently Paddy and co completely overlooked the balls players used before making the pairings. The original pairings then had to be re-shuffled late in the week. If true, this is pretty worrying. I recall JT talking about practicing with Tiger's ball for months in advance of a previous Ryder Cup.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/golf/ryder-cup/padraig-harrington-forced-to-scrap-opening-day-ryder-cup-plans-over-ball-issue-40912128.html
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 04 Oct 2021, 1:48 am

Not sure how a Ryder Cup Captain, 5 Vice Captains, 12 players and 12 caddies (plus other team room advisors) could screw this up.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 04 Oct 2021, 10:09 pm

Someone not happy with the Paddy captaincy seems to leasing this stuff. Is he slowly being thrown under the bus?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 29 Nov 2021, 10:44 am

Westwood sells out RC captaincy for Saudi dollars. For someone with no majors is it a good idea to abandon your only legacy?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 30 Nov 2021, 8:24 am

McLaren wrote:Westwood sells out RC captaincy for Saudi dollars. For someone with no majors is it a good idea to abandon your only legacy?
Here is a list of the players who have signed up for this tournament. See Here
Wonder if they will all get releases from their respective tours to play? Also wonder if that will cause any of them NOT to be considered RC Captain, and therefore the talk of Thomas Bjorn being captain again.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 12 Dec 2021, 4:23 am

Humorous Ryder Cup tale

https://golf.com/news/tiger-woods-toilet-paper-funniest-ryder-cup-stories/?amp=1
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 23 Jan 2022, 6:16 pm

Fancy volunteering for the 2023 Ryder Cup? See here

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 28 Jan 2022, 3:00 pm

Ryder Cup: Luke Donald backed by Colin Montgomerie for Marco Simone - https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/60134369

Could be the time for Donald to push for it given Stenson's current predicament?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 29 Jan 2022, 7:40 am

McLaren wrote:Ryder Cup: Luke Donald backed by Colin Montgomerie for Marco Simone - https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/60134369

Could be the time for Donald to push for it given Stenson's current predicament?

What predicament?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 31 Jan 2022, 9:46 pm

Potentially getting overlooked for the RC captaincy if he cosies up with the Saudis.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 15 Mar 2022, 5:17 pm

Stenson named Ryder Cup captain for the European team.

I'm never wrong

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 15 Mar 2022, 11:45 pm

Seems you can flirt with the Saudis but as long as you don't take it any further you can still get the RC captains gig.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 16 Mar 2022, 8:53 am

McLaren wrote:Seems you can flirt with the Saudis but as long as you don't take it any further you can still get the RC captains gig.

Mac whilst I don't disagree with the sentiment I think you're farting against thunder on this one probably for a mix of the following reasons

1. Many ET & PGA players flirted much the same, take it to it's logical conclusion, rule them all out you could have the web.com tour v the European challenge tour...Money talks and has no morals and the event will want the best players there.
2. The ET cant really start to get too moralistic it's had events in Saudi the past couple of seasons, it's also had events in China (Hong Kong? Taiwan/Chinese Taipei? Maybe not as bad as Yemen but human rights abusive all the same)
3. There is unfortunately going to be a short/medium term need for oodles more Saudi oil if the west is going to turn the Russian taps off fully
4. He is well liked and respected among the players

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 16 Mar 2022, 11:39 am

Jas

Just think it is a bit odd that Europe have so many players who played on winning teams and they pick a guy that probably came within a Phil Mickelson meltdown of never teeing it up on the ET again.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 18 Jul 2022, 10:01 pm

Anyone care about Stenson joining LIV and being stripped of the Ryder Cup captaincy?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 19 Jul 2022, 12:06 am

incontinentia wrote:Anyone care about Stenson joining LIV and being stripped of the Ryder Cup captaincy?
Stenson himself probably. He almost went bankrupt after the financial crises. I don’t blame him if he wants to rake in while he can. But the timing is a bit odd.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Jul 2022, 6:16 am

incontinentia wrote:Anyone care about Stenson joining LIV and being stripped of the Ryder Cup captaincy?

Didnt think he would be great anyway. Rather have Luke Donald or Justin Rose

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 19 Jul 2022, 9:30 am

The LIV hate is nonsense and there are a lot of double standards involved with it. It looks like LIV will win eventually as they continue to recruit big names. I also expect LIV to win any legal action that might be taken against the bans handed out, Poulter's case to compete in the Scottish open being a preview of future decisions imo. Good on Stenson for doing whats best for him in a professional sport.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 19 Jul 2022, 3:44 pm

super_realist wrote:

Didnt think he would be great anyway. Rather have Luke Donald or Justin Rose
Rumours that Bjorn might step in. Rose and Donald are too US oriented IMO

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 20 Jul 2022, 2:43 pm

It’s official. Stenson is out.
Who will take his place? Donald, Karlsson, Bjorn-again?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 21 Jul 2022, 10:12 am

pedro wrote:
Stenson himself probably. He almost went bankrupt after the financial crises. I don’t blame him if he wants to rake in while he can. But the timing is a bit odd.
Nothing to do with the financial crisis. He made another bad judgement and put his money with convicted fraudster Allen Stanford - and lost the lot. Not the brightest in the pack it seems chin
And FWIW, I’d like to see Paul Lawrie given the captaincy. Done a lot for golf, especially here in Scotland, and he is a Major Champion.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Jul 2022, 12:08 pm

Not sure what being a major Champion has to do with it, or why it makes you a better choice. I think Paul Lawrie would be seen as too peripheral in the modern game

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 21 Jul 2022, 12:37 pm

JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:Seems you can flirt with the Saudis but as long as you don't take it any further you can still get the RC captains gig.

Mac whilst I don't disagree with the sentiment I think you're farting against thunder on this one probably for a mix of the following reasons

1. Many ET & PGA players flirted much the same, take it to it's logical conclusion, rule them all out you could have the web.com tour v the European challenge tour...Money talks and has no morals and the event will want the best players there.
2. The ET cant really start to get too moralistic it's had events in Saudi the past couple of seasons, it's also had events in China (Hong Kong? Taiwan/Chinese Taipei? Maybe not as bad as Yemen but human rights abusive all the same)
3. There is unfortunately going to be a short/medium term need for oodles more Saudi oil if the west is going to turn the Russian taps off fully
4. He is well liked and respected among the players

The Uyghur concentration camps often get forgotten too.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 21 Jul 2022, 1:39 pm

The apparent justification of so many that the PGAT and DPWT have held events in Saudi or China before, so therefore there's nothing wrong w/ LIV, is childish, at best.

Where does one draw the line? Would money from Putin be OK? Hitler? Are we OK with the apparent logic that two wrongs do, indeed, make a right? For me, they've crossed a line with this. Happy if others disagree.

They can do what they want, these players, but it doesn't mean there isn't a consequence for an action. **** them is my position. Hope they either get zero OWGR points, or they get a joke minimum, reflecting the clear lack of anything remotely competitive about the LIV events and the has-beens taking part. At least one good outcome of LIV is that more up-and-coming players might get to play in PGAT/DPWT events.

As for Stenson: a liar AND a Saudi lickspittle. Good riddance. Nice way to ruin your reputation.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 21 Jul 2022, 1:41 pm

super_realist wrote:Not sure what being a major Champion has to do with it, or why it makes you a better choice. I think Paul Lawrie would be seen as too peripheral in the modern game
Not as much on the periphery as Sandy Lyle who so many people still think should be Captain because he once won the Open too, but has done little to further the game for young golfers. And Paul Lawrie is more in touch with the European players than Luke Donald who seems to have lived in America longer than he has lived in Europe. What does he know about young European players? To be honest, I’m surprised he hasn’t jumped ship to LIV before now as he rarely makes a cut any more, rather like most of their other recruits.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

pedro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 21 Jul 2022, 2:48 pm

The majority of players who make the European Team will also be in America.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 21 Jul 2022, 5:28 pm

The best chioce would be Bjorn. But I wouldn’t take the gig if I was him. The 2023 RC will be a mess and there’s no real upside for him.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 21 Jul 2022, 7:23 pm

Justin Rose if he can't play his way in?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 21 Jul 2022, 8:46 pm

I find the whole liv thing real interesting.ET is now the DP world tour in reality and now someone else has rolled into town with their own pro golf circuit and upset the establishment who have had a stranglehold for about 50 years

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 22 Jul 2022, 11:21 am

I remember the quote in the biopic of Bobby Jones from his manager after Jones had been goaded about remaining amateur.. "Money....it's going to ruin sport"

Yep, here we are 9 decades later and it feels like never a truer word has been said. Now you could argue that it's dirty money rather than just money but look anywhere where there's ridiculous piles of money and much of it is dirty.

While golf tries not to choke itself in disgust about Saudi involvement, football is off to the gulf for the World Cup later in the year FFS, should we all boycott watching that? Or is Qatar a sole paragon of virtue in that part of the world? Do we forget that Qatar was awarded the World Cup at the same meeting as Russia was awarded the 2018 episode. Would it be wild conclusion jumping to think that Qatar and Russia colluded to butter up/tie up/grease enough palms to make sure they both got the gig they wanted??

Is it fine and reasonable to get all uppity about Saudi's human rights record whilst holding the other eye closed about how we supply them arms to tear lumps out of people in Yemen.

Anyway, back to golf. The thing is LIV aint going away, I personally don't like to see the top of the game being split in the way it is but I'm not 100% clear on the main driving factor for the backlash. Is it the money or is it the unsavoury regime that's enabling it or a combination of both??.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Jul 2022, 5:26 pm

LadyPutt wrote:
super_realist wrote:Not sure what being a major Champion has to do with it, or why it makes you a better choice. I think Paul Lawrie would be seen as too peripheral in the modern game
Not as much on the periphery as Sandy Lyle who so many people still think should be Captain because he once won the Open too, but has done little to further the game for young golfers. And Paul Lawrie is more in touch with the European players than Luke Donald who seems to have lived in America longer than he has lived in Europe. What does he know about young European players? To be honest, I’m surprised he hasn’t jumped ship to LIV before now as he rarely makes a cut any more, rather like most of their other recruits.

Is anyone other than a few flag waving geriatric Scotch wanting Lyle? I've heard literally no one ever suggest it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Jul 2022, 5:29 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:The apparent justification of so many that the PGAT and DPWT have held events in Saudi or China before, so therefore there's nothing wrong w/ LIV, is childish, at best.

Where does one draw the line? Would money from Putin be OK? Hitler? Are we OK with the apparent logic that two wrongs do, indeed, make a right? For me, they've crossed a line with this. Happy if others disagree.

They can do what they want, these players, but it doesn't mean there isn't a consequence for an action. **** them is my position. Hope they either get zero OWGR points, or they get a joke minimum, reflecting the clear lack of anything remotely competitive about the LIV events and the has-beens taking part. At least one good outcome of LIV is that more up-and-coming players might get to play in PGAT/DPWT events.

As for Stenson: a liar AND a Saudi lickspittle. Good riddance. Nice way to ruin your reputation.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but peoples criticism of LIV shouldn't be down to human rights. That's the laughable bit. PGA players and DP players don't stand on any moral high ground here.

It's simply money, and i can't really blame anyone for that. The fake outrage here is hilarious, not you specifically Navy, but the general over the top hysteria about anything remotely controversial these days.

If players are trying to defend it for flimsy reasons then they deserve to be called on on hypocrisy reasons like is done with morons like Lewis Hamilton or Prince Harry but simply moving for more pay is fine as long as you don't try and excuse it for "growing the game" or "providing for your family"

super_realist

Davie and Shotrock like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sat 23 Jul 2022, 9:17 am

super_realist wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:

Is anyone other than a few flag waving geriatric Scotch wanting Lyle? I've heard literally no one ever suggest it.
It seems to be all over social media. Unbelievable!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 23 Jul 2022, 6:37 pm

LadyPutt wrote:
super_realist wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:

It seems to be all over social media. Unbelievable!

Incredible, haven't heard a single person suggest it.
I've always thought Lyle was as thick as two short planks. Made Tiger Woods seem bright.

super_realist

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 25 Jul 2022, 9:27 am

How about Darren Clarke?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 25 Jul 2022, 9:51 am

incontinentia wrote:How about Darren Clarke?
What about him?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 25 Jul 2022, 5:58 pm

super_realist wrote:
What about him?
Ryder Cup captain
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 26 Jul 2022, 7:24 am

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:
What about him?
Ryder Cup captain

Nah, he was terrible.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 26 Jul 2022, 8:02 am

How about one of the Danes then? Kjeldsen or Sauron Hansen?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 26 Jul 2022, 10:23 am

super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:The apparent justification of so many that the PGAT and DPWT have held events in Saudi or China before, so therefore there's nothing wrong w/ LIV, is childish, at best.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but peoples criticism of LIV shouldn't be down to human rights. That's the laughable bit. PGA players and DP players don't stand on any moral high ground here.

It's simply money, and i can't really blame anyone for that. The fake outrage here is hilarious, not you specifically Navy, but the general over the top hysteria about anything remotely controversial these days.

If players are trying to defend it for flimsy reasons then they deserve to be called on on hypocrisy reasons like is done with morons like Lewis Hamilton or Prince Harry but simply moving for more pay is fine as long as you don't try and excuse it for "growing the game" or "providing for your family"

Super, one off events in Saudi were always unpalatable but it is crossing a line when they want to buy pro golf. Also if you accept 2 wrongs don't make a right then I don't understand the whataboutery argument you have made above?

I think Navy pretty much made the case for why this is both terrible for golf and morally bankrupt.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next