The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons Season Thread 21/22

+15
chris_501
BigGee
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
No 7&1/2
Sgt_Pooly
Old Man
LeinsterFan4life
Luckless Pedestrian
PhilBB
Welshmushroom
LordDowlais
formerly known as Sam
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
19 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Dragons Season Thread 21/22 - Page 8 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread 21/22

Post by Guest Thu 26 Aug 2021, 5:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

James Benjamin has been turned into a hooker! We do have too many back rowers so this might be good for him from a personal point of view in terms of getting game time, but will be interesting to see if he's able to become a top level player in that position.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/19540310.james-benjamin-moves-flanker-hooker-dragons/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 08 Mar 2022, 11:57 am

He'll be along to tell you soon enough.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Tue 08 Mar 2022, 7:25 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:He'll be along to tell you soon enough.
Well next year Cardiff Rugby might be going back to the old colours and badge of Cardiff RFC. This means everything is hunky dory there. Gotta get your priorities right after all.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Mar 2022, 10:32 pm

Apparently we’re close to re-signing Angus O’Brien and Tyler Morgan. The latter, according the report, due to him not being able to get game time at Scarlets! Doesn’t really scream ‘great signing’ for us if he can’t get any time at another region. I was never his biggest fan when he was at the Dragons. Very good for the U20s but really struggled to shine consistently for the Dragons when he hit senior rugby. And has not done much at Scarlets.

O’Brien has done some nice things at Scarlets in some of the games I’ve seen. But we’ve just signed JJ Hanrahan so O’Brien is likely to be 3rd choice after JJ and Sam Davies, unless Sam Davies is off or Ryan doesn’t see him as an option anymore?

Both signings just seem like ‘sign them cos they’re available’ sort of signings.

Last edited by The Oracle on Tue 15 Mar 2022, 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 14 Mar 2022, 8:22 am

I feel like AOB will just end up being like Josh Lewis is for us and will play more at 15.

Tyler Morgan left for a new challenge, so it's not a good move for him or us to have him back really. For all this talk about trimming our squad, we are ultimately just bringing back somebody who is injured a fair bit.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 14 Mar 2022, 9:21 am

I don't think either signing is to bad for us. I actually rate Angus. He offers more of a ball in hand threat at 10. He's miles better than Dan Jones so got to be glad we didn't get him instead. I've no doubt he will just be a backup but it's save to say Josh Lewis at 10 hasn't worked out.

Tyler has had his injury issues. I'd assume we must be letting Allen go as his recovery hasn't worked out for us. Anything that gives us more options at centre is a good thing. It's been our serious problem this season with our current guys not giving us enough cutting edge there. Owen has the potential to be a good centre but he can't play every week and aside from him, the others have been sub standard this year. If they can rotate the centres a bit more and Tyler and Clark work out it could make our season next year.

I think Ryan has done a good job on signings. I don't agree with the recent media reports that he should be let go because we have seen signing new coaches isn't the answer. Most of the URC sides that have recently been successful have made sure they have kept head coaches in place for a number of signings.

I think Ryan's signings have been better than what previous coaches have managed and in truth who else would we get that would be a better? Bottom line is we have seen the league has got much tougher this year and I would give Ryan another couple of seasons to keep developing his vision.

Friend at Connacht for example took a long time to get Connacht where they are now. What the Dragons need now is stability at the top for a few seasons.

I just hope all the Welsh sides will realize how important the beginning of a season is in the URC in terms of making the top 8. If they are smart they will make sure they get plenty of friendlies in against quality teams so they can prepare properly for the beginning of next season.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 14 Mar 2022, 9:26 am

What the Dragons need now is to add some real pace options at Full Back. I don't think either Jordan or Josh have the gas to play there. If we want some attacking threat from 15 he needs to be real quick. Possibly moving Holmes there could be a way to go and getting both Hewitt and Rosser on the wings.

I'd prefer us to get another 15 in though who has the gas as a real back up option there.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 14 Mar 2022, 10:27 am

AOB isn't a bad signing, he is better than Josh Lewis and Dan Jones. Good to have some compeition there, and if we want to get our backline moving a bit I expect Hanrahan will be at centre. Morgan isn't a good re-signing, he never quite maintained his early promise - he did well stepping up at the RWC but never seemed to 'kick on'.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 14 Mar 2022, 11:46 am

His problem has mainly been injuries. If they can keep him fit, he's still probably a better option of what we have at 13. I do hope they experiment at 12 a bit because I think Owen will be a good player but he's still a couple of years away from realizing that potential at regional level.

To be honest centre is a problem throughout Wales at the moment with a bunch of guys coming to the end of their careers and not many options of people coming through partly the fault of the regions as they really haven't planned for the long term in the last 5 years. At least the Dragons and Ospreys are trying to break that cycle now though.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Mar 2022, 10:42 am

Welshmushroom wrote:What the Dragons need now is to add some real pace options at Full Back.  I don't think either Jordan or Josh have the gas to play there.  If we want some attacking threat from 15 he needs to be real quick.  Possibly moving Holmes there could be a way to go and getting both Hewitt and Rosser on the wings.

I'd prefer us to get another 15 in though who has the gas as a real back up option there.

Jordan definitely has the gas. Or at least, did have. Has he lost it? If so fair enough. But he's been one of the fastest players we've had in recent years. A real turn of pace that worries defenses. He's just been injured as far as I can tell. Not sure the gas has gone.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 15 Mar 2022, 11:13 am

I don't think he has, but if he has then put Holmes there - aren't Wales supposedly in need for this type of player anyway?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 25 Mar 2022, 10:27 am

Holmes looks like he didn't win his appeal on the contract he was offered based on the Salary Cap structure. He is out of contract in the summer so if he doesn't sign he no doubt will be heading overseas as no other region will be able to offer him better money.

Going to leave us short on quality wingers.

I'm surprised that Ryan hasn't started to start blooding some academy prospects off the bench. Ben Moa looks like a real quick dynamic 8. And I'm a big fan of Peard as well. I know Westwood is still very young but there is another one at full back where I would start accelerating their progression. Give them a few minutes now so they can see what Pro rugby is about will no doubt help their development.

Welsh Premiership rugby isn't even up to the standard of other semi pro leagues so playing them there doesn't really improve them in my opinion.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 25 Mar 2022, 1:32 pm

If Holmes moves on then I guess we can thank Pivac.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 25 Mar 2022, 2:52 pm

Dragons have gone for the lightest of lightweight front fives tomorrow.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 25 Mar 2022, 5:20 pm

It's fine, it's only the Bulls in Pretoria. The Scarlets ran them close the other week! Shocked

Luckless Pedestrian

RiscaGame likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Mar 2022, 9:24 pm

Huw Taylor at lock. Hmmm. Where are our internationals? Are they not allowed to play or did they not travel or something? Leon Brown is on the bench and he played the other day against Italy but he didn’t get much 6N game time I suppose. Nor did Basham and Wainwright in the end so would have thought they could play if fit? Moriarty too didn’t exactly play every minute!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 26 Mar 2022, 1:43 pm

Just the 60 points to Bulls then?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 28 Mar 2022, 10:31 am

It was a typically frustrating performance. We did actually play some good stuff, but it almost always ended in a turnover. We're still conceding soft tries as well - two in about three or four minutes in the first half, 10-3 down to 24-3 just like that. It was encouraging that we scored three tries, and playing the Bulls in Pretoria is a tough assignment for any visiting team, but it's a horrible scoreline however you look at it.

The worst thing about the weekend though is that Edinburgh beat the Sharks, which means we'll get the backlash. Thanks for that!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 31 Mar 2022, 12:22 pm

I see we've shored up our defence by selecting Olowofela for the Sharks game Rolling Eyes

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 31 Mar 2022, 1:58 pm

Yeah and kept our razor sharp attack well, by dropping two of our try scorers from the last game too.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 31 Mar 2022, 2:09 pm

Genius!

Having said that, I'm happy to see Josh Lewis get a start at 10.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 31 Mar 2022, 3:07 pm

For me, it seems slightly pointless now, if the rumours of his departure are true. I would've started him sooner to rest Davies, but now Davies apparently played okay last week, I would've given him some continuity or started Will Reed (who we need to bring through better).

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 31 Mar 2022, 3:12 pm

I just saw it's his 50th Dragons appearance, so maybe it's a sop to him for that as well.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 01 Apr 2022, 4:26 pm

Yeah fair play to him. Tbh, I would’ve thought he might’ve passed it already, but I guess covid etc hasn’t helped.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Apr 2022, 7:56 pm

God we are so sh*t it’s painful. Absolutely everything we do is poor. Defence is the the only thing that is not abysmal, but it’s not mega strong either. I despair.

Edit: and when I say defence I mean we’re at least tackling them, mostly. If our defence was as bad as the rest of our play it would be 80 nil every game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Apr 2022, 8:09 pm

Two penalty tries and yellow cards for deliberate knock ons within 5 mins of each other. Ffs. Someone just end our misery!

Just another point: I’ve never seen such pathetic jumping for the high ball from our players. Honestly, it’s like watching over 70s amateurs just pretending to jump for the ball. Like little half jumps that just sail miles past where the ball is likely to come down. Odd. Looks like they’ve never played rugby before. It’s hard to describe just how poor they are today. Perhaps as a squad they’ve just lost all confidence?

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Fri 01 Apr 2022, 9:01 pm

Sharks aren't playing well though, their cohesion in attacking play is way off, they are relying on their power game to win, considering the backline they have you need to wonder about the coaching staff, that backline should be a lot more dangerous

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 02 Apr 2022, 4:20 pm

It’s a good Sharks team, but you can tell something is off with the coaching. Is Etzebeth joining them next season? Poor Stormers can’t get any players it seems - but they’re also a really good team.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 02 Apr 2022, 4:25 pm

It sounds like Etzebeth has been signed yes

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Sat 02 Apr 2022, 6:37 pm

What has Stone Motif got to say about last night's performance. I haven't seen him on here recently. Did he leave or get banned?

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Apr 2022, 7:44 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:What has Stone Motif got to say about last night's performance. I haven't seen him on here recently. Did he leave or get banned?

Left years ago. Keep up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Sun 03 Apr 2022, 2:17 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Jimmy Moz wrote:What has Stone Motif got to say about last night's performance. I haven't seen him on here recently. Did he leave or get banned?

Left years ago. Keep up!
Ah ok fella fair do. Always behind the times me lol. I always remember him mentioning having a son, and I was thinking..."Yikes. I hope you don't act in front of him in real life as the way you do act on here".

Then again, I guess if he acted in real life like he did on here he would be having his jaw rewired every other week. Good times Very Happy

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 29 Apr 2022, 11:35 pm

Holmes is supposedly on his way to Ealing, a strange one indeed. Ryan doesn’t seem too pleased either.

I am not sure if there is a lot of truth in this, but a wealthy French team (yes another one) are quite keen on Moriarty and want to buy him out of his current contract. If true then we really need to consider it. I like Ross but he has been very injury prone and we are too heavily stocked in the back-row, furthermore Keddie is in good form and looks like a similar player. The front 5 and/or coaching team could do with some additional investment.

I’m just a realist and have always said one of Moriarty or Wainwright should go. I think Ross needs either 4 or 6 caps to reach 60 - I’m not sure he would achieve that by the time he moves.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 30 Apr 2022, 6:09 am

It seems like we aren’t letting Ross leave. I think he will go back abroad next season with the 60 caps you mention. That said, if he has a young child then he may well look to stay local too. Maybe back to Gloucester Wink

In more news, it seems like Tyler Morgan is no longer coming back.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 01 May 2022, 12:59 pm

He could also take a big contract elsehwere, now or later, to "look after his family" etc. Either way I also don't think Dragons would go for it. It just seems like a good idea to me.

Not keen on Morgan coming back as he's too injured, but AOB coming back is welcome as he looks better now than when he left. Also think someone needs to offer Holmes a better contract and convince him to stay. Just another year left (hopeully less) with that chump Pivac, then he has another shot.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 04 May 2022, 1:37 pm

AOB confirmed as returning to us now, too bad for Scarlets who will be stuck with Dan Jones!

I think that's good for us, we need decent cover at 10/15 which AOB can provide. He seems to have improved as a player, and before he was too slow but now he has pace. Nothing more than a good club player for now it seems, but that's all we require until we're able to sign the Dan Carter's of this world Smile.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 04 May 2022, 2:52 pm

Think he is without doubt a 100% improvement on Josh Lewis too. Certainly at 15, where I assume he will feature more often. For me he has improved, but I also think he shouldn't have left us in the first place, bar for the nepotism that was in place at the time.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 04 May 2022, 3:04 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:AOB confirmed as returning to us now, too bad for Scarlets who will be stuck with Dan Jones!

I think that's good for us, we need decent cover at 10/15 which AOB can provide. He seems to have improved as a player, and before he was too slow but now he has pace. Nothing more than a good club player for now it seems, but that's all we require until we're able to sign the Dan Carter's of this world Smile.

Dan's contract is out at the end of next season, I don't think he will re-sign after that.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 04 May 2022, 3:14 pm

Oakdene wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:AOB confirmed as returning to us now, too bad for Scarlets who will be stuck with Dan Jones!

Dan's contract is out at the end of next season, I don't think he will re-sign after that.

Is there, or might there be someone else besides Costelow and Patchell? The latter should be with Wales. Costelow should continue to be pushing for it. Someone is likely monitoring Sheedy's situation and has been for some time, but I think it is Ioan Lloyd that Wales/the Regions should be focusing on.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 04 May 2022, 3:33 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:

Is there, or might there be someone else besides Costelow and Patchell? The latter should be with Wales. Costelow should continue to be pushing for it. Someone is likely monitoring Sheedy's situation and has been for some time, but I think it is Ioan Lloyd that Wales/the Regions should be focusing on.

We've got young Josh Phillips coming through the academy. I do agree that Patch should now be with Wales. Costelow has come on leaps & bounds this season & I think will continue to do well.

I'm not sold on Sheedy but I do hope we go after Ioan when the time comes.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 04 May 2022, 4:27 pm

Not sold on Sheedy either, that truly is a Pivac pick.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 06 May 2022, 3:44 pm

Dragons look like they’re in big trouble. Awful man management by the messiah Dean, to throw Will Reed to the wolves alongside a non 12.

Ospreys: Collins; Cuthbert, North, Watkin, Giles; Anscombe, Webb (captain); Smith, Lake, Francis, Beard, Alun Wyn Jones, W Griffiths, J Morgan, M Morris.

Replacements: Parry, G Thomas, Botha, Davies, Lydiate, Morgan-Williams, Myler, L Morgan.

Dragons: J Williams; Dyer, Warren, J Lewis, Rosser; Reed, Bertranou; Seiuli, T Davies, Coleman, J Davies, Carter, Keddie (captain), Basham, Griffiths.

Replacements: Benjamin, Reynolds, Doge, Taylor, Fry, L Jones, S Davies, Holmes.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 06 May 2022, 4:16 pm

I don't think it's a good idea to keep putting Griffiths back in on these occassions either, away to a strong team when we're understrength. He'll like be carrying everyone and then get injured again.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Sun 15 May 2022, 4:35 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:I think the Dragons are his new pet hate to be honest. He knows the Valleys (Pontypridd RFC in particular) are a beaten fighter so he has now moved on to the Rodney Parade lot.

I'm not entirely sure what he wants from Welsh rugby to be honest.

Have you ever asked?
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 17 May 2022, 3:13 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61481475

This is ridiculous.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 17 May 2022, 3:48 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61481475

This is ridiculous.

Is he one of the journey men you were talking about on the other thread ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 17 May 2022, 4:20 pm

This is ridiculous.

Cheap third / fourth cover - as always needed in a squad. As there's no youngsters coming through, this is the next best thing.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 May 2022, 6:58 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

This is ridiculous.

What’s your definition of ‘journeyman’, LD? Any player who is not a one-club player?

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 17 May 2022, 8:03 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

This is ridiculous.

If this is another one of your cheap jibes against the Dragons LD, then it's not a very good one. You oughta go back to said thread and perhaps check on who was actually talking about journey men.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 17 May 2022, 8:08 pm

PhilBB wrote:

This is ridiculous.

Cheap third / fourth cover - as always needed in a squad. As there's no youngsters coming through, this is the next best thing.

In all fairness Phil, we probably could have found a 9 with a better pass playing in the WP to act is third/fourth choice. Not actually sure how 'cheap' Jones was, but giving an academy product a shot might have been a better idea. No point in glossing over it as I already know what your fans think of LJ.

Of the loan signings, I was hoping we'd keep Taylor Davies on a permanent appointment.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 17 May 2022, 8:46 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

In all fairness Phil, we probably could have found a 9 with a better pass playing in the WP to act is third/fourth choice. Not actually sure how 'cheap' Jones was, but giving an academy product a shot might have been a better idea. No point in glossing over it as I already know what your fans think of LJ.

Of the loan signings, I was hoping we'd keep Taylor Davies on a permanent appointment.

Having watched Jones play WP rugby, I doubt you could find a better all round 9 at that level. I doubt it very, very much. As for 'a passing scrum half' then I can't think of one, but I was surprised to see the Dragons have had more than 50% of the ball in each of their last 5 games. He'll be relatively very cheap for a pro scrum half. The Dragons Transition squad has only one scrum half (Morgan Lloyd) and the senior academy only one (Che Hope). I'm not sure how much adult rugby they've played but the thought of one of them being first choice with an injury to Williams when Bertranou is on international duty is probably quite scary.

That's not to say Jones is good enough, but he's cheap and needed. My question is: why not Babos?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next