The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons Season Thread 21/22

+2
RiscaGame
The Oracle
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dragons Season Thread 21/22 - Page 2 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread 21/22

Post by The Oracle Thu 26 Aug 2021, 5:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

James Benjamin has been turned into a hooker! We do have too many back rowers so this might be good for him from a personal point of view in terms of getting game time, but will be interesting to see if he's able to become a top level player in that position.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/19540310.james-benjamin-moves-flanker-hooker-dragons/
The Oracle
The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 14 Sep 2021, 8:04 am

The Oracle wrote:But for ‘regions’ see the old districts. We’ve had them for donkeys years, we’ve had East and West Wales stuff too, so I’m not sure they really needed a new way to divide the country into 5 (now 4) for admin purposes.

I've always said this, why didn't they just use the districts ? But I get countered with people saying the money men who were running the clubs from the outset didn't want to go down this route, and the WRU needed them so thats where we are.

Looks as though, hook or by crook, we are going to go back to the original clubs names before long, Cardiff, Newport, Llanelli and Swansea. 20 years wasted.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue 14 Sep 2021, 8:42 am

The Oracle wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:Its also the main concern the WRU have with the Regions.....because even if they finance them better, they dont get any input on how it is spent and if the regions have shown us anything it's they havent been great at managing their spends.  Even if the WRU gave each region 10 million a season we probably still wouldn't see success because the people who are managing those franchises have no experience in managing top clubs.

Its why I maintain the best investment will always start with a astute clever manager who knows how to build and spend a budget.  Sadly its the primary area the regions have always under invested and that then results in poor spends on budgets.

I’d disagree with that.  Just off the top of my head Dean Richards Ryan (!) has a lot of experience of managing budgets and managing top clubs.  He’s been DoR at a few places, been in the English RFU system too.  In an ideal world who would have that sort of experience?  Are you talking about people who’ve been at clubs further up the leagues?  Like top 5 England and France? Or people from other sports?

I'm not saying some of the Regions havent learned a lesson. Dean Ryan, Toby Booth and Dai Young are seasoned managers at this point. Peel however lacks top level experience given the quality of player he has been entrusted with.

I was referencing past managers mostly. If you look at the history of appointments over the past 10 years there were a bucket load of guys whos first experience of pro rugby at any league level was in wales. That simply wouldnt happen with any of the Irish provinces or New Zealand for example.

Granted they seem to have learned the lesson currently but we will see given further time but I don't think the historical appointments can be disputed even by the most ardent fan.

Welshmushroom

The Oracle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Oracle Wed 15 Sep 2021, 9:50 pm

The Oracle wrote:James Benjamin has been turned into a hooker!  We do have too many back rowers so this might be good for him from a personal point of view in terms of getting game time, but will be interesting to see if he's able to become a top level player in that position.  

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/19540310.james-benjamin-moves-flanker-hooker-dragons/

And now he’s been offloaded to Cornish Pirates to develop as a hooker!

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/19582733.cornish-pirates-sign-dragons-hooker-james-benjamin-loan/

The Oracle
The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 16 Sep 2021, 12:52 am

Think this is a good move.

Dragons need to have three hookers (when fit). For me it would be Dee, Shipp and Hibs. Benjamin won’t develop into a hooker without playing and we all know the Welsh Prem isn’t good enough to develop players!!

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum