The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+18
I'm never wrong
lostinwales
pedro
Galted
Duty281
JAS
Pal Joey
Mind the windows Tino.
superflyweight
ralphjohn69
westisbest
McLaren
incontinentia
Soul Requiem
JuliusHMarx
dynamark
beninho
super_realist
22 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Oct 2021, 9:42 am

First topic message reminder :

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:Will Alec Baldwin go to jail for the manslaughter of that lady on the filmset under American law or is it considered an industrial accident?
Doesnt seem like he's in trouble just yet. How do you kill someone with a prop gun that fires blanks?

Edit: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prop-gun-using-blanks-still-052227936.html

"As for the question of criminal responsibility, that’s for law enforcement to investigate. But it must be noted that in the vast majority of cases, the person who pulled the trigger wasn’t remotely at fault. They were handed a prop and assured it would function normally — and it didn’t."

Guns dont kill people, rappers do.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Nov 2021, 1:53 pm

Wiping your carbon use from the planet would have been good for getting to net zero.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Nov 2021, 1:55 pm

Also didn't get people going mad about Biden's motorcade. He needs it because the public can't be trusted not to try and kill him.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Nov 2021, 1:58 pm

85 cars for one man for one days visit? Well over the top.

He's more likely to kill himself by being senile

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Nov 2021, 2:00 pm

McLaren wrote:Wiping your carbon use from the planet would have been good for getting to net zero.

My carbon footprint is less than Ponce Harry, Attenborough, Prince Charles, Greeting Greta etc by a long long way

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 Nov 2021, 2:24 pm

Super

What are you plans for golfing over the winter? Play on the course much or just stick to the range?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Nov 2021, 2:31 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

What are you plans for golfing over the winter? Play on the course much or just stick to the range?

Depends on weather Mac. I might protect my handicap over those months and focus on some practice elements which are stopping me scoring better (eg 90-100 yards pitches)

I seem to have found a way to hit more greens so just need to make a few more birdies. Putting practice and outting lessons have helped but can always do more.
Not going to do too much practice, i need to remember golf is about fun, so keep the balance.

What about you? Your wifes clock must be ticking.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 04 Nov 2021, 2:40 pm

Paterson really has thrown his toys out the pram now.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 04 Nov 2021, 2:51 pm

super_realist wrote:

Depends on weather Mac. I might protect my handicap over those months and focus on some practice elements which are stopping me scoring better (eg 90-100 yards pitches)

I seem to have found a way to hit more greens so just need to make a few more birdies. Putting practice and outting lessons have helped but can always do more.
Not going to do too much practice, i need to remember golf is about fun, so keep the balance.

I’m sure “winter plans” would be a good thread topic Mac.
I’m going to play a few Top 100s into the net in my back garden using the Garmin :-p

Big night ahead in Europe for the O/F, they’ve been a bit of a letdown this year compared to the last 2, now in danger of slipping back down the coefficient rankings. Both need a win tonight

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Nov 2021, 3:06 pm

Normal service resumed JAS.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 05 Nov 2021, 8:23 am

super_realist wrote:Normal service resumed JAS.

Not ideal, they've definitely gone backward from last season, Brondby are bang average. Still within their control to finish 2nd in the group though, Sparta at Ibrox next, if they beat them by a better margin than the result in Prague then that would be enough. Not expecting anything in Lyon in the last game although with the group already in the bag Lyon might not field their strongest side.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 05 Nov 2021, 8:25 am

JAS wrote:

Not ideal, they've definitely gone backward from last season, Brondby are bang average. Still within their control to finish 2nd in the group though, Sparta at Ibrox next, if they beat them by a better margin than the result in Prague then that would be enough. Not expecting anything in Lyon in the last game although with the group already in the bag Lyon might not field their strongest side.

I think the OF have to accept they are also bang average.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 05 Nov 2021, 9:57 am

super_realist wrote:
JAS wrote:

I think the OF have to accept they are also bang average.

Yep, decent Europa league runs but can’t quite make the step up to making an impact on CL. That currently seems to be their ceiling, for things to move beyond that, others would have to improve as well, the Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen’s need to start stepping up and bagging some coefficient points, quite lamentable that they can’t find any kind of performance even in the new 3rd tier (ok I know Hearts weren’t there this season it was St Johnstone).

I’d still take getting into the CL group stages though next season and I’m sure Gerrard is desperate for that to measure himself. They’ve had decent performances against CL standard teams the past 3 seasons so I don’t think it would be a humiliation but I don’t think they’d have enough to qualify out of a CL group. It’s all about racking up coefficient points to open the door to the CL and the riches it provides. The Malmö loss in the qualifiers this season was a huge blow after the progress of the past 3 seasons.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 05 Nov 2021, 10:08 am

The SPL gets one direct entry to CL next year, but I would think that CL level clubs would view Rangers or Celtic in their group the same way they view Malmo, Midtjylland, Young Boys etc.

Plenty teams have done well against better opposition, Roma got absolutely pumped by Bodo/Glimt and a further draw but I doubt anyone would say that Bodo are a team that are anything other than a mediocre team as are Celtic and Rangers.

I disagree that Hibs, Hearts etc need to step up as they were just as bad in Europe when Celtic and Rangers were doing far better.

In reality Scottish football is probably at the Europa Conference level and aiming for the CL at the current time is being far too optimistic.

What needs to happen is a complete change in Scottish football, but the SFA, SPL etc are just as stupid as the R and A when it comes to modernisation and making change.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 05 Nov 2021, 12:21 pm

Rangers losing a lot of money again as well. What a terribly run club.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 05 Nov 2021, 12:23 pm

super_realist wrote:

I only started playing a serious winter schedule in the last 5 years, but I have noticed how much it helps to keep things going. Weather/covid meant I barely played at all last winter and I noticed the difference come April when it took a month or so to get sharp again. Even if the course is a mess I might try and go to the range a couple of times a week.

Might also think about getting a putting mat for the house.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 05 Nov 2021, 12:26 pm

The putting matt wasnt great for me Mac. You can have mine if you like.
I found the carpet to be better.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 05 Nov 2021, 12:27 pm

JAS wrote:

I’m sure “winter plans” would be a good thread topic Mac.
I’m going to play a few Top 100s into the net in my back garden using the Garmin :-p

Jas how are you finding the R10? I really thought about getting it but after some digging into it it seems that the launch model had major issues capturing the shot shape. When put up against a gcquad it did ok in carry and total distance but would often capture a the opposite shot shape. For me the most important part of practice is dialling in the shot shapes you want. If the R10 can't give that feedback I question the point of using it. Has there been any firmware updates since you started using it?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 05 Nov 2021, 12:29 pm

super_realist wrote:The putting matt wasnt great for me Mac. You can have mine if you like.

We have hard floors throughout the house, either porcelain tiles or wood. And the rugs are pretty slow on the stimp.

What mat did you go for?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 05 Nov 2021, 4:44 pm

Shag pile

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 05 Nov 2021, 5:03 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:The putting matt wasnt great for me Mac. You can have mine if you like.

We have hard floors throughout the house, either porcelain tiles or wood. And the rugs are pretty slow on the stimp.

What mat did you go for?

Putt Out

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sat 06 Nov 2021, 11:23 am

When I was a lad I would spend hours in the living room putting the ball into a ring of wool about 9 inches diameter.May have done me some good later I would expect.Only ever had 2 putters a ping L blade with some extra lead on and the Odessey centre shaft job.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 09 Nov 2021, 12:50 pm

Got to say I’m beginning to find it a bit tedious that every time a Premiership Managerial vacancy comes up Gerrards name gets touted for it, in spite of him each and every time saying he’s happy where he is for now. Part 2 is then a succession of experts shaking their heads either about a) why would he stay or b) why are clubs even considering him. Both sentiments obviously originating from the same idea that the Scottish league is dross. I’m more than happy for him to stay where he is so I’m not going to go against the sentiment but Jeez it’s Tedium ad Infinitum FFS

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 09 Nov 2021, 12:57 pm

JAS wrote:Got to say I’m beginning to find it a bit tedious that every time a Premiership Managerial vacancy comes up Gerrards name gets touted for it, in spite of him each and every time saying he’s happy where he is for now. Part 2 is then a succession of experts shaking their heads either about a) why would he stay or b) why are clubs even considering him. Both sentiments obviously originating from the same idea that the Scottish league is dross. I’m more than happy for him to stay where he is so I’m not going to go against the sentiment but Jeez it’s Tedium ad Infinitum FFS

Managers always say they're happy. That way they get offered more money.
You couldnt blame Gerrard though. He is currently managing a hasbeen club of mediocre quality in an awful league.
The Old Firm are shop windows, low rung clubs on the ladder of career progression. If he wants to further his career, he has to manage at a higher level, but given that he lacked ambition as a player perhaps his "happy where he is" claim might actually he genuine.
The huns will be in real trouble if he leaves though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 09 Nov 2021, 1:15 pm

JAS wrote:Got to say I’m beginning to find it a bit tedious that every time a Premiership Managerial vacancy comes up Gerrards name gets touted for it

Not every time. Didn't even get mentioned for a shite team like Spurs.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 09 Nov 2021, 1:54 pm

Gerrard’s seems to be the front runner for villa.
Not sure he would leave Rangers. Maybe in a couple of seasons.

Hopefully Villa can get a big name, if we’re serious of pushing on.

Shame Smith left, results were not good.

Roberto Martinez, Kasper Hjulmand, couple of other names being mentioned.

Going to the Brighton game, be interesting to see who is in charge by then.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 09 Nov 2021, 2:01 pm

Why wouldn't he leave Rangers?
Not like he can do much more with them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 09 Nov 2021, 2:16 pm

To learn and evolve as a manager. He's too inexperienced to manage in the Premier league especially at a club fighting relegation. A couple more years at Rangers will benefit him long term.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 09 Nov 2021, 2:25 pm

Too inexperienced? But Graham Potter, Frank Lampard and Scott Parker  were experienced enough?

He'll learn a lot more fighting relegation than partaking in a coin toss league when you win 90% of games against laughable Scotch opposition

Last edited by super_realist on Tue 09 Nov 2021, 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 09 Nov 2021, 2:29 pm

Did I mention Graham Potter?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 09 Nov 2021, 2:31 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Did I mention Graham Potter?

No, but you mentioned Gerrard being inexperienced, yet it didnt stop Potter did it, who only had experience of a tin pot Swedish team, just like Gerrard only has experience of  tinpot Scotch team.

Why would it be okay for Potter to take over Brighton, but too soon for Mr No Forehead?

Also, tons of exoerience didnt help Fat Sam taking his last club down

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 09 Nov 2021, 4:04 pm

I didn’t think he would leave as would want to win a few more titles.

I’ve just seen a tweet saying he’s accepted the role and will be the highest paid villa manager, how true that is, time will tell.

Potter is doing well with Brighton. All a gamble. If Gerrard is the next manager, am sure (most) of the fans would get behind him.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 09 Nov 2021, 4:06 pm

A trophy in Scotland is like a milk bottle top.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 09 Nov 2021, 4:53 pm

Can only beat what’s on front of you.
He won a league (albeit) not a quality standard.
Would have been worse for him if Rangers had finished second, or worse.

If he takes the villa job, will be a stepping stone to getting the Liverpool job.
Although don’t think Liverpool would take him, if he can’t get villa into the top 6, which is what he will be aiming for.

Although he would have to work miracles for that to happen.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 09 Nov 2021, 5:06 pm

He wont get Villa into top 6. Not a chance.
If he got 2-3 years of mid table that would be a great result.

Liverpool took Rodgers and Woy without achieving top 6 so if Gerrard got Villa into mid table respectability theyd fall over themselves to get him as its inevitable he will manage them eventually

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 09 Nov 2021, 5:07 pm

He wont get Villa into top 6. Not a chance.
If he got 2-3 years of mid table that would be a great result.

Liverpool took Rodgers and Woy without achieving top 6 before so if Gerrard got Villa into mid table respectability theyd fall over themselves to get him as its inevitable he will manage them eventually

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 09 Nov 2021, 6:02 pm

If he has a fully fit squad(always a rare thing in football).
But he could get villa a top half finish.
Good few injury’s at villa haven’t helped( that could be said for any club though).

If he does take the job, obviously a big step up to managing in the prem to the SPL.

Interesting few days ahead.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 09 Nov 2021, 6:11 pm

super_realist wrote:Too inexperienced? But Graham Potter, Frank Lampard and Scott Parker  were experienced enough?

He'll learn a lot more fighting relegation than partaking in a coin toss league when you win 90% of games against laughable Scotch opposition

It’s too easy to lay the boot into the Scottish setup, it may be how you comically portray it but you are talking about the same league that was the learning environment for the best club manager the game has ever seen so I would say. Why wouldn’t he stay? He’s built well, there’s intense pressure to win every week, there’s pretty much guaranteed European football each season, and adoring 50000 every home game. 2 more titles, another decent euros league run and a baptism of Champions League group football…then go with a stock much higher than it is now.
Coin toss hardly accurately describes the monumental turnaround he was tasked with when he arrived.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 09 Nov 2021, 6:40 pm

super_realist wrote:

No, but you mentioned Gerrard being inexperienced, yet it didnt stop Potter did it, who only had experience of a tin pot Swedish team, just like Gerrard only has experience of  tinpot Scotch team.

Why would it be okay for Potter to take over Brighton, but too soon for Mr No Forehead?

You've just invented an argument there, Gerrard would be better served gaining more managerial experience. This is about him not Graham Potter, not Sam Allardyce or anyone else.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 09 Nov 2021, 7:01 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
super_realist wrote:

You've just invented an argument there, Gerrard would be better served gaining more managerial experience. This is about him not Graham Potter, not Sam Allardyce or anyone else.

Im not at all. You implied that Gerrard needed more experience to manage in the EPL, but there are examples like Graham Potter to show this isnt necessary.
Gerrard only has to improve Villa, nothing more.

Its just your opinion that he needs more experience, just as its mine he doesnt. What exactly is he going to learn playimg teams that Rangers turn over in second gear? Hows that going to help in the the EPL?
He might as well take the opportunity because the sooner he gets used to managing in a proper league, the better. Imagine 5 years of been at Rangers winning virtually every game, then all of a sudden hes at a club like Villa and he's losing or drawing most games.
How is five years of winning and not really knowing howbtonreact tondefeat going to help him in a relegation battle when he takes on the next club in his career ladder?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 09 Nov 2021, 7:07 pm

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:Too inexperienced? But Graham Potter, Frank Lampard and Scott Parker  were experienced enough?

It’s too easy to lay the boot into the Scottish setup, it may be how you comically portray it but you are talking about the same league that was the learning environment for the best club manager the game has ever seen so I would say. Why wouldn’t he stay? He’s built well, there’s intense pressure to win every week, there’s pretty much guaranteed European football each season, and adoring 50000 every home game. 2 more titles, another decent euros league run and a baptism of Champions League group football…then go with a stock much higher than it is now.
Coin toss hardly accurately describes the monumental turnaround he was tasked with when he arrived.

Jas, you cant possiblly compare Fergies era of Scottish football with today.
It was  far better in those days and leagues wwre fairly similar in standard.
The SPL is several rungs lower than any of Europes major leagues now and is probably aligned with League One.
Back in Fergies day, players were interchangeable like Souness, Nicholas, McClair, Strachan, McGhee etc. Virtually no  Aberdeen, Rangers or Celtic player would get anywhere near Man United, City, Chelsea etc these days.
Even since the days of Laudrup, Larsson, Van Bronkhurst, Petrov etc its gone hugely downhill. There's virtually no players  of that standard anymore.

Its a shop window, and a stepping stone and Gerrard has already done mkre tham enough time to move up another level. A managers career isnt as long anymore and hes already in his 40's.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 09 Nov 2021, 7:16 pm

I’m not directly comparing, you are. The point I was making (coming from the perspective of Gerrards development not from wielding a madman’s axe at the precarious condition Scottish football currently finds itself in. Also to be blunt Scotland are currently ranked 8th according to European coefficients which given finances I’d say they’re actually punching above their weight. As I keep coming back to its money that is distorting the club game throughout Europe.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 09 Nov 2021, 7:59 pm

Graham Potter worked absolute wonders I Sweden, he also managed over 100 games more before taking a Premier league job compared to Gerrard. Potter deserves a big club more then Gerrard in my view.

Gerrard would be an absolute fool to leave a team fighting for titles then a mid table Premier league team.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 09 Nov 2021, 8:08 pm

Gerrard should absolutely get out of Rangers as soon as possible. A mid-table PL team will give him a far greater experience of management than battling for the Scottish title will. Better quality of player to coach, greater potential for recruitment, tougher opponents. I don't think it's automatic that he'll get the Liverpool job when Klopp goes, but managing Villa would serve him better than leading Rangers to beat the likes of Ross County and Motherwell week after week. Only slight benefit of staying with Rangers is getting guaranteed Europa League football.

Potter, who I really rate as a manager, had a different career trajectory and managed a different type of club to Gerrard, so it's difficult to draw comparisons.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 09 Nov 2021, 8:25 pm

I dont think I'd expect Ruben Amorim or Jorge Jesus to leave Portuguese clubs for a mid table Premier league club, nor would I expect Ten Hag to leave Ajax, so I don't think I'd expect Gerrard to leave Rangers for a mid table club. Crazy decision. Carry on winning things.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 09 Nov 2021, 8:28 pm

Aston Villa have got through 8 managers in 11 years. They may have wealth, but aren't anywhere near the big clubs. Give up winning things, for that. Madness.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 09 Nov 2021, 8:42 pm

beninho wrote:I dont think I'd expect Ruben Amorim or Jorge Jesus to leave Portuguese clubs for a mid table Premier league club, nor would I expect Ten Hag to leave Ajax, so I don't think I'd expect Gerrard to leave Rangers for a mid table club. Crazy decision. Carry on winning things.

It's definitely going to happen, whether it's Villa or a different one. A choice between managing in the best league in the world, global exposure, and coming up against the likes of City/Liverpool/Chelsea and Tuchel/Klopp/Pep...or winning the Scottish Premier League and playing the likes of Ross County and St Mirren week after week. Not a tough choice.

I suspect two of those managers you've listed would come to a mid-table PL club if offered the chance, though not Ten Hag who has a lovely position at Ajax with his side in the CL knockout stages and a fantastic youth academy (so a lot better than Rangers).

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 09 Nov 2021, 9:01 pm

Actually agree with duty and super.
You’ve got to test yourself. Staying at Rangers isn’t really resting himself.

Very much doubt he would go from Rangers straight to Liverpool.
Working in the premiership, be it villa or another club playing against much tougher opposition, would put him in good stead for a top 4/6 club.

Personally hope villa go for a more experienced manager.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 10 Nov 2021, 6:29 am

beninho wrote:I dont think I'd expect Ruben Amorim or Jorge Jesus to leave Portuguese clubs for a mid table Premier league club, nor would I expect Ten Hag to leave Ajax, so I don't think I'd expect Gerrard to leave Rangers for a mid table club. Crazy decision. Carry on winning things.

Winning what though? What is the satisfaction of winning a competition that is only you or one other club?
How is it career progression wjen the only thing you have to do is beat the ither half of the ugly sisters? What is that teaching him as a manager?

Virtually anyone could manage Rangers or Celtic to success. So until Gerrard moves to a proper club he'll never know if hes any good. Hes done his time at Rangers, time to move on.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 10 Nov 2021, 7:58 am

Good to see the Premier league sticking to the rules, and not allowing clubs to wear away shirts for charity. So ridiculous.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 10 Nov 2021, 8:07 am

super_realist wrote:

Winning what though? What is the satisfaction of winning a competition that is only you or one other club?
How is it career progression wjen the only thing you have to do is beat the ither half of the ugly sisters? What is that teaching him as a manager?

Virtually anyone could manage Rangers or Celtic to success. So until Gerrard moves to a proper  club he'll never know if hes any good. Hes done his time at Rangers, time to move on.

I guess Nagelsmann will have a lot of satisfaction when he wins the league, and the same with Ancelotti when Madrid win the league. Generally in most big leagues you have 2 or at a push 3 clubs who can win the title.

I'm sure Gerrard will leave, and maybe a mid table Premier team will be all he will be offered. But I'm sure I wouldn't leave a job where I'm pretty successful for one, where I'm looking over my shoulder

beninho

super_realist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next