The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 2022 summer tour

+41
EWT Spoons
R!skysports
sensisball
Heuer27
king_carlos
GLove39
No9
Heaf
Sgt_Pooly
Mad for Chelsea
RiscaGame
cakeordeath
Dirtydave
takethelongroad
NeilyBroon
doctor_grey
No 7&1/2
majesticimperialman
funnyExiledScot
lostinwales
Mcsweens
EST
George Carlin
Margin_Walker
mikey_dragon
Tattie Scones RRN
Irish Londoner
Tramptastic
TheMildlyFranticLlama
TJ
dummy_half
demosthenes
bsando
Old Man
Highland Shaun
BigGee
RDW
tigertattie
Anglobraveheart
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
45 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Scotland 2022 summer tour  - Page 2 Empty Scotland 2022 summer tour

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 21 Nov 2021, 11:41 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland 2022 Six Nations Lookahead

A place to discuss the rollercoaster of dark horse conversation and sheer despair. Somewhere in-between, someone will go off on a mild tangent.

Schedule
5th Feb - England (H)
12th Feb - Wales (A)
26th Feb - France (H)
12th March - Italy (A)
19th March - Ireland (A)

Scotland's recent performances
2021: 4th (3 wins, same as 2nd)
2020: 4th (3 wins, same points as 3rd)
2019: 5th (1 win, 1 draw)
2018: 3rd (3 wins, same as 2nd)
2017: 4th (3 wins, same points as 2nd)

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Sun 21 Nov 2021, 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Scotland 2022 summer tour  - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland 2022 summer tour

Post by tigertattie Tue 11 Jan 2022, 2:44 pm

Good news. We’re on for the auld enemy

Restrictions on outdoor events lifted next week. Sport stadiums will be open again.
tigertattie
tigertattie

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 12 Jan 2022, 1:44 pm

Sutherland's ban for his red card should be over in time for Worcester's final game before the Six Nations. Depending on how he comes through that, he will either start or be on the bench you would think.

Hazel Sapling

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 12 Jan 2022, 6:54 pm

Great news!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bgm37c

Scrum V podcast is actually a Scottish podcast this week with Russell, Danny Wilson and Tom English all chipping in. Good listen!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 13 Jan 2022, 11:20 am

So. What’s the thinking then?

Are we “dark horses” this year?

Or are we even genuine contenders? I’ve seen people genuinely saying we could win it this year. I think that’s still pie in the sky stuff and can’t see us getting passed Ireland or France
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 13 Jan 2022, 11:34 am

Grand Slam all the way, tiger!
Or Wooden Spoon.
It's a work event / staff booze up kind of thing.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 13 Jan 2022, 1:10 pm

If we can figure out the Ireland set-piece, something on paper we should have managed the last couple of years like we have with England and France, we have the front five to go against anyone in the Six Nations. If Bradbury and Darge can translate club form to the international stage, we have the depth to take an injury or two at every position in the pack (except TH) and that will be vital as the games come thick and fast.

I would say we should be able to beat Wales (key players have racked up a lot of miles over the years, long season after Lions, injuries have not cleared up, surely they can't have the same discipline luck as last season?). France and England at home, it will be whomever shows up on the day and gets a bit of luck. Both should be up for it after the nature of our wins against them last year. Ireland are favourites against us and we need a few 30/70 calls or chances to go our way. So 3 wins again is the litmus test. Bit of luck and we end up with 4 wins, it could be enough to win it or come 3rd.

Ireland is the only side I can see getting a Grand Slam and even then, it will require discipline and injury luck. The traditional Five Nations are all solid and they play us in the final game as we come off the Italy game and they would be coming off what you would imagine is an emotionally draining win against England away.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu 13 Jan 2022, 1:45 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Sutherland's ban for his red card should be over in time for Worcester's final game before the Six Nations. Depending on how he comes through that, he will either start or be on the bench you would think.

With regard to bans, do Covid cancelled games count as the assumption would be that the player would miss those?

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu 13 Jan 2022, 1:51 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:If we can figure out the Ireland set-piece, something on paper we should have managed the last couple of years like we have with England and France, we have the front five to go against anyone in the Six Nations. If Bradbury and Darge can translate club form to the international stage, we have the depth to take an injury or two at every position in the pack (except TH) and that will be vital as the games come thick and fast.

I would say we should be able to beat Wales (key players have racked up a lot of miles over the years, long season after Lions, injuries have not cleared up, surely they can't have the same discipline luck as last season?). France and England at home, it will be whomever shows up on the day and gets a bit of luck. Both should be up for it after the nature of our wins against them last year. Ireland are favourites against us and we need a few 30/70 calls or chances to go our way. So 3 wins again is the litmus test. Bit of luck and we end up with 4 wins, it could be enough to win it or come 3rd.

Ireland is the only side I can see getting a Grand Slam and even then, it will require discipline and injury luck. The traditional Five Nations are all solid and they play us in the final game as we come off the Italy game and they would be coming off what you would imagine is an emotionally draining win against England away.

Italy before you play Ireland should be helpful if you've picked up injuries, even the replacements should get a result from that game, so the senior players can rest/recover before Ireland if needed.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 14 Jan 2022, 1:28 pm

Right on queue, Redpath makes his return to play for Bath on Saturday, starting at FH due to injuries.

With a few games under his belt, he will likely be in contention come 6N time.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Sat 15 Jan 2022, 12:08 am

Squad announced on Wednesday according to the Scotsman article on Cam Redpath Smile.

Some players may need to impress this round to be in with a chance.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 16 Jan 2022, 11:36 am

Mark Palmer, who often has the inside ear on Scotland selections, talking up the case of Charlie Chapman in the Sunday Times today.

Could he be this tournaments curveball? He is certainly playing well for Gloucester and is yet another live wire in the Toonie mould.

Charlie Chapman is loving life right now. He’s playing for Gloucester, the club he has supported since childhood, and doing it alongside old pros like Billy Twelvetrees whom he used to roar on from his season-ticket spot in the Shed.

“You’re dreaming of being out there one day and then suddenly you are,” says the 23-year-old scrum half, still sounding somewhat incredulous. “You have to appreciate that — it’s very special and means a lot to me and my family. I’m just trying to live in the moment.”

Chapman is still dreaming, however. His next goal, one he’s perfectly happy to articulate, is pushing himself into the selection picture with Scotland.

Gregor Townsend is well off for nines at the moment, with George Horne, Jamie Dobie, Ben Vellacott and Scott Steele all jostling for space behind Ali Price, but any young half back who helps mastermind an away win over Saracens, as Chapman did last week on his first Gallagher Premiership start of the season, will always be worth a second glance.

The Hartpury University graduate is definitely on Scotland’s radar; now he craves the run of club starts that might allow him to put his name in lights there.

Although Chapman was born and raised in Gloucester, he qualifies to wear the thistle through his maternal grandfather, Salvatore Mora, a Glaswegian with Italian roots. One of Chapman’s middle names is Salvatore, and he was always made aware of the non-English side of his heritage.

From the middle of his teenage years, he tried to break into the Scottish Exiles set-up and was eventually selected for the national under-20 team in 2018, under first Stevie Scott and then Bryan Redpath. He takes great heart from the progress made by colleagues from that side such as Ross Thompson, Rory Darge, Marshall Sykes and Stafford McDowall. Thompson and Sykes were capped last autumn, Darge would have been had it not been for an ankle injury, and McDowall has spent time in and around the senior squad.

“There are a lot of boys from that set-up who have really stepped up well,” says Chapman. “The Pro14 has been fundamental for their development and they are reaping the rewards right now. They’ve stepped up to the big stage and are doing really well. Playing for Scotland is definitely still my plan. I’m hoping to put my hand up through a decent run of performances, and hopefully one day I will be on that international stage with the full team.”

Redpath, the former Scotland scrum half and captain who won 60 caps for his country and was later Gloucester head coach, gave Chapman all sorts of valuable advice in their brief time together, as did another far from physically imposing nine, Greig Laidlaw, who used to play at Kingsholm.

“Bryan was a really good role model for me, a scrum half who had seen and done it all,” Chapman says. “I had a lot of good chats with him and found him really easy to get along with. A top bloke. That was probably the time that made me really realise that I need to take this [rugby journey] seriously.

“When I first came into the club, Greig was the scrum half. Being able to watch him and have brief chats with him when I was 16 or 17 was really good. Then coming fully into the environment with Willi [Heinz], he had a great run of games just before the World Cup. Being around him was fundamental for my learning and my development going into the Premiership. Having those sorts of people to ask questions and even just watch them in training is really helpful.”

Chapman also has warm words for Vellacott — presently tearing up the United Rugby Championship with Edinburgh after a summer move from Wasps — and Adam Hastings, his half-back partner at the StoneX stadium last Saturday who has also made an instant impression since swapping leagues from Glasgow Warriors six months ago.

“I know Benny very well; I was with him for three years at Gloucester,” says Chapman. “He’s another great person to speak to. His professionalism is second to none. I’ve never seen someone work so hard or so long on their individual game. He’s also absolutely electric, which you’ve seen at Edinburgh.

“Hasto [Hastings] is a very different kind of guy. We’re calling him snake-hips at the moment — he’s non-stop! He’s amazing. He’s brought a different side of the game that I don’t think a lot of us had experienced. He’s got a lot of different tricks up his sleeve, and I think that’s what our team needed. We needed someone with that bit of spark who can come in and change the game for you. Adam can light the game up.

“With me being a young scrum half, his game management has been a big help. He’s got a very good voice, he’s a very good leader, which I wasn’t expecting. He’s not big at all but he’s got a big voice and even though he’s got a lot on his plate, which can be hard to deal with when you come into a new environment, he’s taken to it all really well.”

The expansive, uptempo style favoured by head coach George Skivington and his emerging assistants, Alex King and Dom Waldouck, is right up Chapman’s street. His basics are reliable, and he offers a strong individual threat in the snipe.

His approach is as adventurous as you would expect from someone who came through in close proximity to Vellacott and Harry Randall, but there is nothing gung-ho about it. You only have to listen to him eulogise Chris Harris, the lynchpin of the Gloucester and Scotland defences, to know he appreciates the game in the round.

“Skivs has come in and done a really good job, working really hard with all of us and bringing in coaches like Kingy and Dom. They’ve really helped us younger boys, giving us that licence to play. Young players can get lost in the Prem with all these game plans and a lot of structure to it, but the coaches have given us that freedom and belief to express ourselves and play with confidence. We’re thriving on it.

“Chris is massive for us, though. His defensive brain is just unbelievable. He’s a massive role model, a massive leader in our team. He’s got a great relationship with all the players and you see that out on the pitch.

“It sounds clichéd, but the pride within our team, our trust in the process and belief in each other as team-mates does show. It’s because of people like him who bring the team together really well. We’re all prepared to go out there and put everything on the line for each other.”

From boy to man, Chapman has grown up with Gloucester. But that local pride can happily coexist with a further-reaching ambition.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 16 Jan 2022, 11:45 am

SH selection is going to be interesting.

Price is a given, even though he did not play well yesterday.

Horne has looked out of form all season and was lucky to get picked in the autumn in my opinion. Toonie has been very loyal, but for how long with so much competition.

Dobie has been touted as the coming man, but DW for reasons best known to himself, especially with Horne playing so poorly, has been strangely reluctant to use him. He has not had the chance to show his wares at all, which has been surprising.

Vellacott has surely done enough to come into the squad now and his pace could be some asset off the bench.

Sheil seems to have fallen down the pecking order at Edinburgh, as has Scott at Quins, can't see either in the squad.

Chapman, playing regularly off the bench for a good Gloucester side and making a few starts, could be in line with a chance of the third SH spot.

I would go for Price, Vellacott and Dobie, with Chapman next cab off the rank. more likely to tour in the summer when Price will get rested.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 16 Jan 2022, 12:00 pm

Back three there may be some interesting calls as well.

Hoggy - nailed on and will be captain, he has been on good form for Exeter since his Lions return.

DVDM - again nailed on and will start baring injury, he will benefit from playing in a better backline than at Worcester

Maitland - No great form to speak of and has been injured a lot this season, still a class player though but has his time come now?

Kinghorn - Hard to see him starting at FH, where he may well be 4th in the queue, but he is probably our second best FB. Could be very useful as a utility back on the bench.

Kyle Steyn - No going to be first choice as either a winger or a centre, but a very solid option in either position if called on, again, could be a very good bench option.

Mclean - after a promising start to the season, he has been injured then not picked for Glasgow. He may be in the squad, but not sure if he gets much or any game time.

Graham - Been electric when we have seen him, but as normal, has spent a lot of the season on the physio table. There is also doubts about his defence, as we saw when he was steam rollered by various Tongans in the autumn.

Forbes - been playing steadily for Glasgow and keeping Mclean out of the team, but had a bit of a shocker last night, which won;t have strengthened his case.

Kyle Rowe - has been impressively scoring tries in the Premiership for London Irish having found a spot there after not getting a contract up North. Thought to be a squad player, he has impressed and has started many games. Possibly another bolter that no-one saw coming.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Sun 16 Jan 2022, 10:39 pm

Got yo agree with you Gee Smile

Though I really hope Charlie Chapman is in the squad ahead of Jamie Dobie but at least we know that he has now publicly (via a newspaper article lol) chosen to represent us Very Happy.

Not Planet Rugby forum seem to be touting Andy Christie as a bolter too :O.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 17 Jan 2022, 8:27 pm

OMG is it not 6nations time yet?

I know you shouldn’t wish your life away but wow January really is the dullest month!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Jan 2022, 8:41 pm

tigertattie wrote:OMG is it not 6nations time yet?

I know you shouldn’t wish your life away but wow January really is the dullest month!

Summer holidays here!

(Which will always be weird)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 17 Jan 2022, 11:16 pm

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20220117/282699050493339

A good article by Rob Robertson Smile.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Jan 2022, 11:24 pm

Someone want to set up an England match thread?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 17 Jan 2022, 11:55 pm

RDW wrote:

Summer holidays here!

Any light at the end of the tunnel for you guys getting over here or any of your family getting over to see you?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Jan 2022, 12:17 am

tigertattie wrote:
RDW wrote:

Summer holidays here!

Any light at the end of the tunnel for you guys getting over here or any of your family getting over to see you?

We've booked flights for 9th March, which funnily enough will be exactly 2 years since we flew to Australia. Long time!

I'll be in the UK for the last 2 rounds of the 6N which is good.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 18 Jan 2022, 11:09 am

England announced its squad and Scotland is due either today or tomorrow.

No Underhill, Ford, Tuilagi, Vunipolas

It feels weird to look at it and realise we have a more experienced squad. They still have some real talent coming in with Dombrandt, Simmonds and Marchant, but Ford has been replaced by Bailey(?).

Not having a dread of facing England is weird...means we are likely to be hammered

Hazel Sapling

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 18 Jan 2022, 12:52 pm

I feel quite wary of England this year but they’re a building side. Scotland may end up being slim favourites by the bookies and that’s never good. Saying that, there’s enough recent success to encourage the players to front up and get off to a winning start.

In terms of the tactics and the game plan, more of the same please and hopefully a little more ingenuity in attack with AB Zondagh involved.

I’m just going to say it. I think Scotland will win the Six Nations this year Cool

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 18 Jan 2022, 1:10 pm

Looked at Wales' squad as well. They are saying bitten by injuries that include a bunch of guys 30+ and with miles on the clock.

The schedule could break in Scotland's favour getting a beaten up Wales (play Ireland first up) if we are able to beat England.

We are dark horses for the Six Nations....someone needs to slap me and remind me we will finish 4th but with the same points as 1st.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 18 Jan 2022, 3:36 pm

The game we absolutely need to win is Ireland. Same for next year. We need to prove to ourselves that they're not our bogey team and getting the next two wins against them will give us a huge psychological edge at the next world cup.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Jan 2022, 9:13 pm

Agree on Ireland - the way they play is the exact playbook in how to beat Scotland. We need to show we can work out a way round that.

Can we stop all this positivity and dark horse chat?? It doesn't sit well with our national psyche!
We're doomed!!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 19 Jan 2022, 7:00 am

Scotland 2022 summer tour  - Page 2 405fbd10

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Jan 2022, 8:48 am

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/60042794

Tom English spot on as always

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 19 Jan 2022, 8:55 am

RDW wrote:https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/60042794

Tom English spot on as always

Pretty safe selection from TE, not really looking at anyone else who might break into the squad.

Craig is injured and has not played this season, so he clearly won't be in it.

Does not make much of George Horne's lack of form.

Scott over Lang? Not sure he has been watching him play for Edinburgh this season and not really sure Toonie has ever really been sold on Scott either.

I guess we will know soon!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Jan 2022, 9:01 am

Can't agree on his Bradbury assessment either, who is surely got the 8 shirt nailed.

Given Jones' squad omissions though you never know!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 19 Jan 2022, 9:29 am

RDW wrote:Can't agree on his Bradbury assessment either, who is surely got the 8 shirt nailed.

Given Jones' squad omissions though you never know!

I think Townsend will be loyal to Fagerson at 8 for the time being, he had a stormer against England last year albeit Bradbury did the same in That Game. Has Fagerson been on form this season? I note that Dempsey has displaced him at 8.

If Ritchie, Watson and Fagerson to start Bradbury would be an excellent sub to bring on some additional physicality in the last 30

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 19 Jan 2022, 10:15 am

Could be a swing and a miss with Bradbury. Although I feel a bit more confident in his abilities than Graham who flopped when given a chance last six nations. Considering the form of Glasgow and Edinburgh I’d expect the vast majority of the squad to be made up of players from these sides (a bit more so than usual).

Looking forward to the usual Toonie curve ball selection but hard to see anything too left field for this squad selection.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 19 Jan 2022, 10:19 am

When is your squad announced?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Jan 2022, 10:23 am

Today sometime

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 19 Jan 2022, 2:04 pm

Wha's Ben White???

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 19 Jan 2022, 2:07 pm

Ben White is the former Leicester, now London Irish scrum-half

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 19 Jan 2022, 2:08 pm

ah well, he's been picked ahead of Horne and Dobie either way!

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 19 Jan 2022, 2:09 pm

Scotland Six Nations Squad

Forwards

Ewan Ashman - Sale Sharks – 2 caps

Josh Bayliss – Bath Rugby – 2 caps

Jamie Bhatti - Glasgow Warriors – 22 caps

Magnus Bradbury – Edinburgh Rugby – 14 caps

Andy Christie - Saracens – uncapped

Scott Cummings – Glasgow Warriors – 21 caps

Rory Darge – Glasgow Warriors – uncapped

Matt Fagerson – Glasgow Warriors – 17 caps

Zander Fagerson – Glasgow Warriors – 42 caps

Grant Gilchrist - Edinburgh Rugby – 48 caps

Jonny Gray - Exeter Chiefs – 64 caps

Nick Haining – Edinburgh Rugby – 10 caps

Jamie Hodgson - Edinburgh Rugby – 3 caps

Stuart McInally – Edinburgh Rugby – 43 caps

WP Nel – Edinburgh Rugby – 43 caps

Jamie Ritchie - Edinburgh Rugby – 31 caps

Pierre Schoeman - Edinburgh Rugby – 4 caps

Javan Sebastian – Scarlets – 1 cap

Sam Skinner – Exeter Chiefs – 15 caps

Rory Sutherland – Worcester Warriors – 16 caps

George Turner - Glasgow Warriors – 20 caps

Hamish Watson - Edinburgh Rugby – 45 caps

Backs

Mark Bennett – Edinburgh Rugby – 22 caps

Darcy Graham – Edinburgh Rugby – 22 caps

Chris Harris – Gloucester Rugby – 31 caps

Stuart Hogg – Exeter Chiefs – 88 caps - Captain

Rory Hutchinson – Northampton Saints – 5 caps

Sam Johnson - Glasgow Warriors – 21 caps

Blair Kinghorn - Edinburgh Rugby – 28 caps

Rufus McLean - Glasgow Warriors – 2 caps

Ali Price - Glasgow Warriors – 46 caps

Cameron Redpath – Bath Rugby – 1 cap

Kyle Rowe – London Irish – uncapped

Finn Russell – Racing 92 – 58 caps

Kyle Steyn - Glasgow Warriors – 3 caps

Sione Tuipulotu- Glasgow Warriors – 1 cap

Duhan van der Merwe - Worcester Warriors – 13 caps

Ben Vellacott – Edinburgh Rugby – uncapped

Ben White – London Irish – uncapped

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 19 Jan 2022, 2:11 pm

Scotland squad up

LH: Sutherland, Schoeman, Bhatti
HK: Turner, McInally, Ashman
TH: Fagerson, Nel, Sebastian
LK: Cummings, J Gray, Skinner, Gilchrist, Hodgson
Flanks: Ritchie, Watson, Darge, Bayliss, Christie
No. 8: Fagerson, Bradbury, Haining

SH: Price, Vellacott, White
FH: Russell, Kinghorn
Centres: S Johnson, Harris, Redpath, Hutchinson, Tuipulotu, Bennett
Wings: DVDM, Steyn, Graham, McLean, Rowe
FB: Hogg

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Wed 19 Jan 2022, 2:17 pm

Ben White's a really interesting one. He's been great since he signed, albeit usually from the bench. Didn't know he was SQ or on the radar. Personally speaking, I'd say he was a better 9 than Steele.

Rowe has been in fantastic form, so nice to see that get some recognition.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 19 Jan 2022, 2:24 pm

No Kebble is a surprise as Sebastian has not done much but guessing the lack of time at TH and generally underperforming Bhatti at LH counted against him. Brown lacked playing time. Berghan can hopefully build fitness to become an option for the game against France.

Fine with locks, would have R Gray but can see why he is not there.

Happy with the backrow. No one can really argue against any of the choices. Christie is a 6/8 for Sarries who looks underpowered for an international 8 but has the workrate to be an option at BS or maybe even cover OS. Haining would be the one to drop if we had to lose one.

The backs...

White has 4 starts and 9 subs appearances (as well as 3 tries) this year. At 23, he is one for the future but he left Leicester to get ahead and it looks like he is firmly second choice.

Kinghorn, Hogg, Hutchinson and Redpath cover 10 to various degrees but why not have a proper second option starting for a good Premiership side and has 20+ caps as the back-up?

Centres looks like everyone in form except Scott. Probably fair enough to mix and match in practice to see who comes in if S Johnson or Harris is out.

Wings, can't complain too much about Rowe who has been in good form (and I rate over Hassell-Collins who England selected). Would have liked Maitland there, instead we have Kinghorn covering 15. Feels like we are an injury or two from having to call up a replacement.

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Wed 19 Jan 2022, 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 19 Jan 2022, 2:28 pm

With Hastings theres maybe an element of what happened when he came off the bench - it just seemed to increase the panic. No calming influence, no attempt to take the team by the scruff of the neck and get the ball booted down the other end. So maybe he's been told to go and work on a few things and also "your place in the squad isn't automatic"

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 19 Jan 2022, 4:01 pm

At 10 - Russell will play every minute of every game unless he gets carded or injured - its just a waste to have a back up 10 in the squad and I don't rate Hastings anyway as above no control and gets caught in possession too much. Blairhorn is looking more and more assured every game he gets at 10 and I guess he will be bench cover for 10. wing and 15

Liking the squad.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 19 Jan 2022, 6:39 pm

Problem with no dedicated back up 10 are firstly, if Finn gets a bad one, you don’t have a replacement that’s been playing understudy since the squad met up and secondly, if Finn has a case of Finnsanity, you’ve no plan B
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 19 Jan 2022, 6:55 pm

Surely Blairhorn will be doing that? He is 10 cover.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 19 Jan 2022, 6:56 pm

Looks like an exciting squad and it's good that more players are being tested in the run up to the Rugby World Cup. Also great to see a squad picked on form and game time rather than past form.

I can see a reason for and against Hastings inclusion. Personally I think it is bat poop crazy to leave him out but fair play to the coaches for being brave and putting a LOT of faith in Kinghorn, Hutchinson and Redpath's abilities. BK is constantly being talked up for his athletic ability, rugby brain etc. So this 6N campaign will be a big test for him if he is to be Toonies backup fly half. What has been his biggest test in that position so far this season?

Arguably one of the best attributes of Townsend as a head coach is the unpredictable nature of squads and team selections. With more game time under their belts some of these players will only improve and the depth will not only be better, but well tested.

Sutherland and Fagerson are great and I am so glad WP Nel is in good form at the moment, but one or two injuries in this position almost feel like they could determine Scotland's 6N. Having Kebble to call upon in an emergency is good to know. Hopefully he'll feel fired up to get back into the squad after losing his place. Exciting times ahead! Look forward to seeing some of the training camp videos on instagram again soon.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Wed 19 Jan 2022, 10:44 pm

So glad Andy Christie has committed to us after only a few months ago, saying he wasn't going to rush the decision.

Definitely correct to reward Kyle Rowe and Rory Darge for current form.

Don't know much about Ben White to be able to comment but I trust GT on that one Smile.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Jan 2022, 12:55 am

The thought of Sebastian packing down against any of the opposition fills me with dread. Even Kebble on the wrong side of the scrum is a much less scary thought. Has Sebastian even been playing for Scarlets?

Big surprise on Hastings. He's been playing well in an intense AP environment, which is as good as you'll get at club level for preparing for 6N games. Kinghorn carving it up against the Dragons just isn't the same. Saying that, Finn won't come off unless injured so can see the reasoning for Kinghorn providing greater cover. But if Finn gets injured there's no way Blair should be our starting 10.

Other than that, no real complaints!

My team for England based on this:

1 Schoeman
2 Turner
3 Fagerson
4 Gray
5 Cummings
6 Ritchie
7 Watson
8 Bradbury

9 Price
10 Russell
11 VDM
12 Johnson
13 Harris
14 Steyn
15 Hogg

Subs - Sutherland, McInally, Nel, Skinner, Fagerson, Vellacott, Kinghorn, Bennett

That's attacking backline replacements but if it's a tight game Price and Finn aren't going to come off anyway. I'd be tempted to have Tuipulotu as he covers 12 and 13 but I'd love to see Bennett back! Kinghorn and Harris cover wing so we don't need a back 3 sub.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 20 Jan 2022, 7:59 am

Perhpas Townsend will play Redpath back at inside centre despite his injury lay off. And I think that Graham will still be starting despite some worries over his defence. He's such a live wire in attack. Mark Bennet has been so good lately he deserves a bench spot. Tough on Steyn but great to have so many good options in the backline with others outside the squad.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Jan 2022, 8:04 am

Is Graham even fit? He's been out for a few weeks now

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Jan 2022, 8:57 am

https://www.theoffsideline.com/10-takeaways-from-gregor-townsends-six-nations-squad-announcement/

Good detailed summary here

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next