The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2021-22 Ashes Tipping Competition

+13
king_carlos
compelling and rich
Gooseberry
alfie
James100
Duty281
Soul Requiem
superflyweight
Lowlandbrit
guildfordbat
Mind the windows Tino.
KP_fan
Pal Joey
17 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

2021-22 Ashes Tipping Competition - Page 7 Empty 2021-22 Ashes Tipping Competition

Post by Pal Joey Mon 06 Dec 2021, 7:48 am

First topic message reminder :

The 2021-22 Ashes Tipping Competition Rules:

Pick 2 (two) batsmen and 2 (two) bowlers from both England and Australia who you think will score the most runs and take the most wickets.
You get both batting and bowling points per innings so a bowler who scores runs has both batting and bowling scores added together.
e.g.
Warner, Labuschagne, Starc, Cummins
Malan, Root, Broad, Anderson

Pick 1 (one) fielder from each team; excluding wicket keepers for most catches in the Series.
It can be a bowler (for c&b) if you want.
e.g.
Smith, Stokes

Select which wicket keeper will take the greatest number of catches, stumpings and run outs combined for each Test.
If a wicket keeper is injured then the replacement keeper's figures shall be used.
e.g.
Australia (Carey) or England (Bairstow... or Buttler) or the same number of dismissals.

Predict the Toss:
a) Who wins the toss?
e.g.
Australia

b) Winning captain's decision - bat or field?
e.g.
Bat

a) Predict the 1st Ashes Test result.
e.g.
Australia or England or Draw

Selections must be posted a minimum one (1) hour before the commencement of each Test. No PM reminders shall be sent.

Scoring:

Note:
The figures in bold below represent changes to previous competition scoring values.
I have increased the bonus amounts - for batting and bowling bonuses, the toss and captain's decision and for correctly selecting the test match result - for added point-scoring value.

1 point for every run scored by your nominated batsmen. Add together for each Test.
Bonus 25 points for 100 runs.
extra 30 points for 150 runs.
extra 45 points for 200 runs.
extra 60 points for 250 runs.
extra 125 bonus points for 300+ runs.

Note: the batting & bowling score bonuses accumulate so;

Batting: (per innings)
100 runs = 125 points. A player scores 137 runs + 25 = 162 points.
150 runs = 205 points. A player scores 177 runs + 25 + 30 = 232 points.
200 runs = 300 points. A player scores 243 runs + 25 + 30 + 45 = 343 points.
250 runs = 410 points. A player scores 282 runs + 25 + 30 + 45 + 60 = 442 points
300+ runs = 585 points. A player scores 321 runs + 25 + 30 + 45 + 60 + 125 = 606 points.

Bowling: (per innings)
25 points per wicket with a bonus 50 points for a 5-fer.
An extra 30 points for 6-fer, 45 for 7-fer, 60 for 8-fer, 75 for 9-fer.
An extra 100 bonus points for a 10-fer.

5 wickets = 125 points + 50 = 175 points
6 wickets = 150 points + 50 + 30 = 230 points.
7 wickets = 175 points + 50 + 30 + 45 = 300 points
8 wickets = 200 points + 50 + 30 + 45 + 60 = 385 points
9 wickets = 225 points + 50 + 30 + 45 + 60 + 75 = 485 points
10 wickets = 250 points + 50 + 30 + 45 + 60 + 75 + 100 = 610 points

Caught and bowled = 25 points for the wicket + 25 bonus points for the catch = 50 points.

Fielder catches: Your nominated fieldsman earns you 25 points per catch and 25 points for a run out.

Wicket keepers: 50 points for correct selection for most dismissals across both innings.
Or if you think the wicket keepers will take the same number of total dismissals per innings - then nominate "the same" = 50 points.
If they take the same number of catches and stumpings (combined) and you've picked either one of the keepers - then you earn 25 points only.

a) Correctly predict who wins the toss = 25 points
b) Correctly predict what the winning Captain decides to do = 25 points - only for those with part a) above correct; no points if your a) was incorrect.

a) Correctly predict the winning team for each Test match = 125 points.
b) If you guess all 5 Test match outcomes correctly then there is a further 125 point bonus = 625 + 125 = 750 points.
Note: Correctly predict a "Draw" = 125 points

If one (or more) of your selected players gets injured during a match or is dropped from the Test side after a match, then you’ll have the opportunity to select replacement players – either as it happens - for the injured player or before the next Test commences (for a player who gets dropped).
It doesn’t have to be the actual substitute player – it can be somebody else already in the team. However, you don’t receive any of their previous points up until the point of the replacement of the injured player from the field – you must start accumulating points from scratch with them.

December 8-12, 2021: 1st Test at The 'Gabba, Brisbane. Australia won by 9 wickets (1-0)

December 16-20, 2021: 2nd Test (D/N) at Adelaide Oval. Australia won by 275 runs (2-0)

December 26-30, 2021: 3rd Test at MCG. Australia won by an innings and 14 runs (3-0)

January 5-9, 2022: 4th Test at SCG. Match drawn (3-0)

January 14-18, 2022: 5th Test (D/N) at Bellerive Oval, Hobart. Australia won by 146 runs (4-0)

Good Luck!

Last edited by Pal Joey on Mon 17 Jan 2022, 2:12 am; edited 9 times in total (Reason for editing : 5th Test venue added)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

KP_fan likes this post

Back to top Go down

2021-22 Ashes Tipping Competition - Page 7 Empty Re: 2021-22 Ashes Tipping Competition

Post by Pal Joey Mon 17 Jan 2022, 10:04 am

JDizzle wrote:Cheers all and thanks as ever to PJ for a supremely run comp. Although I suspect he got more enjoyment putting in the scores for this series than most!

I believe this is my third win too? Do I get to keep and melt down the trophy a la Brazil in 1970?

Thanks JD.

Yes, I'll admit I did enjoy putting those last wickets into the spreadsheet yesterday and watching the scores move around.

I'm not sure I'll be able to melt down the real Jules Rimet trophy.

How about a virtual wooden replica of Pickles, the black and white collie from 1966 World Cup instead?

I'll need to check. I'll dig out the old post from last year and add on this last tournament. I think you may be right though.

Don't forget we've also got the last test in the England-India series during your summer.
Luckily I've kept that spreadsheet on ice. Just have to defrost it.
I might see if there are some other matches worth doing in the meantime. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

JDizzle likes this post

Back to top Go down

2021-22 Ashes Tipping Competition - Page 7 Empty Re: 2021-22 Ashes Tipping Competition

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Jan 2022, 10:19 am

Great, great work once more, Joey. clap clap Many thanks.

Congrats to JD, hard luck to Olly and very well done to Duty and James for ensuring that KP-f was kept off the winner's podium! Wink

My own performance was Malanesque. Started ok, fell away and ended disastrously. Good though to see my original men Starc & Cummins from your very first comp still topping the players' scores. Just a shame that others here have cottoned onto them. thumbsup Very Happy

guildfordbat

Pal Joey, alfie and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 17 Jan 2022, 11:21 am

guildfordbat wrote:

My own performance was Malanesque. Started ok, fell away and ended disastrously.

Mine was very Englandesque. Started appallingly, the middle bit wasn't brilliant and the less said about the end, the better.

I am going to conduct a thorough and wide ranging review of my performance and if necessary, fire myself.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Mon 17 Jan 2022, 11:57 am

Top work PJ, great competition as always

James100

Pal Joey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 17 Jan 2022, 12:00 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

My own performance was Malanesque. Started ok, fell away and ended disastrously.

Mine was very Englandesque. Started appallingly, the middle bit wasn't brilliant and the less said about the end, the better.

I am going to conduct a thorough and wide ranging review of my performance and if necessary, fire myself.

I will be appointing someone you've never heard of to conduct a thorough and wide ranging Johnsonesque review of my performance, after which many close to me will be thrown under the bus and I will continue as appallingly as ever.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 17 Jan 2022, 12:16 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

I will be appointing someone you've never heard of to conduct a thorough and wide ranging Johnsonesque review of my performance, after which many close to me will be thrown under the bus and I will continue as appallingly as ever.

I think you'll might have to call an urgent COBRA Meeting and immediately commence Operation Big Bat, Guildford.

What nobody will know, however, is that when this meeting gets underway, you'll be safely ensconced in a large yacht somewhere off the island of Mustique... having a quiet discussion with Jamie Smith and Alec Stewart. Dizzy will be there... smiling in the background; mixing the drinks.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 17 Jan 2022, 1:32 pm

Thanks for running again, it was more interesting than the actual series. Congratulations to JDizzle for his third (!) win.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Pal Joey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 17 Jan 2022, 1:35 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Mine was Tottenhamesque. Started OK, did well in the middle, then completely fell away at the end. Very Spursy. I will do nothing about it, but look forward to losing next time and continuing my trophy drought.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

guildfordbat and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 18 Jan 2022, 2:59 am

congrats JD ... excellent win clap

I am a bit envious of your replica of Pickles...

And well done too to Olly and the other four or five clever beggars who kept me off the podium  Smile

Thanks again to PJ for a fun competition , seriously well run as ever thumbsup

Oops - nearly forgot to add : special mention to Tino for his late burst to get off the bottom and consign goose to the coveted position at the tail of the field devil

alfie

Pal Joey and JDizzle like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jan 2022, 8:29 am

alfie wrote:

Oops - nearly forgot to add : special mention to Tino for his late burst to get off the bottom and consign goose to the coveted position at the tail of the field  devil

Don't mean to sound ungrateful, alfie, but I basically scored a streaky century full of inside edges and thick outside edges in a losing cause once the Ashes were long done and dusted.

It keeps me in the side for another series I suppose.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 18 Jan 2022, 11:53 am

alfie wrote:

Oops - nearly forgot to add : special mention to Tino for his late burst to get off the bottom and consign goose to the coveted position at the tail of the field  devil

Don't mean to sound ungrateful, alfie, but I basically scored a streaky century full of inside edges and thick outside edges in a losing cause once the Ashes were long done and dusted.

Tino - it's not how but how many. thumbsup

guildfordbat

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 18 Jan 2022, 12:25 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
alfie wrote:

Tino - it's not how but how many. thumbsup

Very true, GB, you wise old sage. Seeing as I averaged in the mid 20's for my village team last season, I'll take what I can get.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Pal Joey, guildfordbat, alfie and king_carlos like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7