The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

+20
JDizzle
superflyweight
robopz
Plunky
pedro
beninho
TM2K
Good Golly I'm Olly
BlueCoverman
super_realist
RDW
Davie
ralphjohn69
LadyPutt
JAS
Shotrock
McLaren
incontinentia
I'm never wrong
GPB
24 posters

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 19 Empty PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by GPB Sat 01 Jan 2022, 2:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Happy New Year.  After a nearly a year and half, its time for a new thread.

39 ofthe 40 Players eligible to play Sentry ToC are playing.  Only one missing is Rory McIlroy.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 19 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by pedro Sat 17 Feb 2024, 11:59 am

Great to see what Saudi is doing this week to grow womens golf in the region, with all the local aspiring women getting a sponsors invite…

pedro

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 19 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 19 Feb 2024, 1:42 pm

What a sensational final round from Hideki Matsuyama yesterday - best ever in a final round at Riviera to comfortably take home the title. His driving and iron play on the back nine was some of the best I've seen, great to see him back hitting it well having dropped a fair way down the OWGR in the last 18 months.

Shame for Zalatoris and List to be pipped, both battled really well. Cantlay/Schauffele about as dull as ditchwater and played like it too. Cantlay was horrible on Sunday, barely hit a fairway it seemed
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

LadyPutt and navyblueshorts like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 21 Feb 2024, 1:00 pm

Hideki made the game look quite easy on that last day. Wonder if his slight 'slump' was a post-Green Jacket effect in some way.

Good to see Zalatoris back as he's clearly a talent. Love his ball striking.

Surprised a bit at Cantlay. He'd looked pretty serene up until that point.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 29 Feb 2024, 4:21 pm

Boy, those LIV crowds are pathetic. Anthony Kim back in action? A real yawn-fest for me.

Shotrock

LadyPutt, navyblueshorts and BlueCoverman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri 01 Mar 2024, 11:43 am

Shotrock wrote:Boy, those LIV crowds are pathetic. Anthony Kim back in action? A real yawn-fest for me.
I never got that excited about him when he was winning 10 years ago. Now I have zero interest in whether he plays or not!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 01 Mar 2024, 12:27 pm

LadyPutt wrote:
Shotrock wrote:Boy, those LIV crowds are pathetic. Anthony Kim back in action? A real yawn-fest for me.
I never got that excited about him when he was winning 10 years ago. Now I have zero interest in whether he plays or not!
He won 3 events on the PGAT over 3(?) years. No Majors or Players. That's it? Big deal. LIV are welcome to him.

I presume if there ever was a fat insurance payout re. injury it had a clause re. ever playing again on the PGAT (which he isn't) and/or LIV have chucked him sufficient silver to entice him into their cesspool.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 03 Mar 2024, 5:43 pm

Watched a bit of the golf last night. Shane doing well, Rory not so much. But I was interested in watching the swing of Chris Kirk. I am the last person to know the techniques of golf, but he seems to have the laziest - or smoothest if you like - swing, but he hits it the same distance as the rest. Helps that he is 6'3" of course, but one of the easiest swings I've seen.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 17 Mar 2024, 10:40 pm

What a phenomenal weekend of golf that was at The Players Championship. I still don’t know how Clark’s putt on the 72nd hole didn’t drop!
Unbelievable final round from Scheffler - his iron play is just ludicrous at the moment
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

navyblueshorts, BlueCoverman, Shotrock and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 18 Mar 2024, 11:22 am

Great play by Scheffler and what a near make by Clark on the last.

Rory was a birdie machine this weekend. He cleans that up and he'll be putting on that green jacket in next month.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 18 Mar 2024, 12:55 pm

Shotrock wrote:Great play by Scheffler and what a near make by Clark on the last.

Rory was a birdie machine this weekend. He cleans that up and he'll be putting on that green jacket in next month.
At least there's no rough at AGNC, and less water....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 18 Mar 2024, 2:42 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Shotrock wrote:Great play by Scheffler and what a near make by Clark on the last.

At least there's no rough at AGNC, and less water....

Thing is if it becomes clearer and clearer that Scheffler has moderately improved his putting then most tournaments will be his to lose.
That being said one of the great truisms of golf...If part of your game is a weak spot and you work hard to fix it...no sooner will you have fixed it than something else unravels :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 18 Mar 2024, 6:38 pm

The other question posed by the result at the Players is…Is Phil Kenyon now the undisputed pre-eminent putting coach in the world today?

I.e. a 1st, 2nd & 5th at the Players for players using his services.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 11 Apr 2024, 1:40 pm

Augusta starting today - Scheffler the heavy favourite at 4/1 best price, with Rory/Rahm out around 12/1 behind him.

Looks like some rain will delay start today, but otherwise we're going to have good weather - and reports on the grounds are its firm, and with the wind/sun about you'd expect it to bake out more as we get to the weekend.

I like Zalatoris, Cantlay and Cam Smith this week. Obviously hoping Rory does it. Hope it's a good Masters, been a while since we've had a truly close finish at this event
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 11 Apr 2024, 2:07 pm

I like the look of Aberg, Koepka and Niemann. Possibly Rose or Sungjae if I wanted to pick an outsider.

Scheffler's a deserved favourite, especially with his putting game showing improvement, but 4/1 is very short for a field of this quality! Given up on Rory. He'll likely have a shocker of a first round and be effectively out of it before the weekend. Missed two of the last three cuts here, but did get a second place in 2022. Discounting Rahm purely because he won it last year.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 11 Apr 2024, 2:10 pm

C'mon Rory!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 11 Apr 2024, 3:21 pm

I have backed Zalatoris, Theegala, Aberg and Clark. I predict Woods will withdraw with an injury, especially if he racks up a big score.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 11 Apr 2024, 5:05 pm

One thing I've noticed these past few years is a lady dressed in pink behind the 16th tee. She gets very animated with good shots/holes in one.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 12 Apr 2024, 5:32 pm

Great first rounds from DeChambeau and Scheffler - a bunch of dudes under par including Rory.

Going to be a tough day today with the wind up - case of holding on and being within striking distance for the weekend
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 13 Apr 2024, 9:38 am

Was indeed a very tough day. I think Aberg's round of -3 was the best. No movement at the top, with the overall lead going from -7 to -6.

Three way tie at the top - Bryson, Homa and Scheffler. Hojgaard two shots back. Davis and Morikawa a further shot back. And Aberg at -2. Those are the ones in realistic contention, but the ones at -1 and evens won't rule themselves out, and that includes Fleetwood, Fitzpatrick and Schauffele.

Woods has made the cut with a very respectable +1. But Rory's out of the fight after a terrible second round, and so is Rahm.

Set up for a very good weekend.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 13 Apr 2024, 1:20 pm

Agree that it's the -1's or better to win this tournament.

Too bad Rory didn't get it going, and also surprised to see Hovland missed the cut.

Scheffler's driving and iron game have been pretty flawless of late. May not be exciting to watch, but the precision is mighty impressive to me.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 15 Apr 2024, 11:08 am

Looked like it was going to be a close finish with a four way tie at -6, but Scheffler showed his class and underlined why he's the best in the world with a phenomenal final 11 holes. The shot he played at 9, which nearly rolled in for an eagle, was almost reminiscent of Tiger's shot at the 16th in 2005.

Aberg finished up 2nd, he has a very promising future. No one else better than -4, Fleetwood managing a tied 3rd which is by far his best at Augusta.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 15 Apr 2024, 12:48 pm

Good Masters. Scheffler just too good and too consistent - 3 wins out of last 4, now, and two of them some of the biggest events in the game. Will be interesting to see if this level of dominance continues, but at the moment, he's way out in front.

Course was a good challenge, and even on day 4, once the wind had eased somewhat, no-one was tearing it up.

Åberg is surely here to stay. Such a simple action - hope no-one gets in his ear re. needing to make changes.

Not sure what's happened to Hovland - too much celebrating following last year? Too many opinions re. LIV?

Speaking of which, no-one from LIV really got close, and a fair few of them didn't make the weekend. Excellent.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 15 Apr 2024, 2:01 pm

Surgical in the way Scheffler built and protected his lead on the back nine.

Really top-notch run he is on ... he was one 5-foot putt away from a playoff in the one tournament he didn't win in the last four.

Aberg mighty impressive too.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 19 Apr 2024, 9:35 am

Yes was an excellent Masters I thought - a bit of a shame we didn't get the back nine fireworks that was promised, but the man who survived Amen Corner (Scheffler) rightly pulled away. Nice bounce back from his shot on 11 by Aberg, and a much earned 2nd place finish in his first ever major.

Good to see Fleetwood with another good major finish - that's a top 5 finish in every major now. Surely, surely Tommy wins stateside soon?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 22 Apr 2024, 12:49 am

Scheffler on an absolute tear; about to bag another. And, in the LPGA, Korda doing the same.

Shotrock

navyblueshorts and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 Apr 2024, 9:43 am

Shotrock wrote:Scheffler on an absolute tear; about to bag another. And, in the LPGA, Korda doing the same.

Ridiculous yesterday that the PGA Tour didn't move up tee times - their own forecast they put out said 85% chance of lightning/storms before end of play, and it happened! Bizarre. A microcosm example of how the tour is being run at the moment, one may suggest...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 22 Apr 2024, 9:45 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Shotrock wrote:Scheffler on an absolute tear; about to bag another. And, in the LPGA, Korda doing the same.

Ridiculous yesterday that the PGA Tour didn't move up tee times - their own forecast they put out said 85% chance of lightning/storms before end of play, and it happened! Bizarre. A microcosm example of how the tour is being run at the moment, one may suggest...
Ah yes, but think about who's pulling the strings. Pretty sure those TV Execs and advertisers would have something to say about disruption to their planned schedules, maybe?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 22 Apr 2024, 9:50 am

Have to admit, don't know enough about Korda, except she was good before and she's got a twin who's also a very good player. Has she made any changes recently, or is this just a brief hot spell? Whatever it is, 5 in a row is pretty impressive.

As for Scheffler, I think the rest are hoping he dotes on his new baby a little more, to the possible detriment of his game. Possibly going to depend on how much he enjoys competing as he certainly doesn't need the money anymore. His isn't a swing you'd immediately pick out as brilliant, but his fundamentals are so good and from tee to green he's ridiculously good. Even his putting, that some think is a weak point, isn't anything of the sort really. It's just not as good as the best putters on the PGAT. Certainly a lot better than, say, Westwood's was when he was having his purple patch from tee to green.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Shotrock likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Yesterday at 10:06 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Have to admit, don't know enough about Korda, except she was good before and she's got a twin who's also a very good player. Has she made any changes recently, or is this just a brief hot spell? Whatever it is, 5 in a row is pretty impressive.

As for Scheffler, I think the rest are hoping he dotes on his new baby a little more, to the possible detriment of his game. Possibly going to depend on how much he enjoys competing as he certainly doesn't need the money anymore. His isn't a swing you'd immediately pick out as brilliant, but his fundamentals are so good and from tee to green he's ridiculously good. Even his putting, that some think is a weak point, isn't anything of the sort really. It's just not as good as the best putters on the PGAT. Certainly a lot better than, say, Westwood's was when he was having his purple patch from tee to green.
The Kordas are sisters, but not twins. Jessica is 31, Nellie is 25. As for Scheffler, he may be an awesome golfer but he’s got no personality (like many of the collegiate golfers in America) so he’s boring to watch for me.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19