The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

+20
JDizzle
superflyweight
robopz
Plunky
pedro
beninho
TM2K
Good Golly I'm Olly
BlueCoverman
super_realist
RDW
Davie
ralphjohn69
LadyPutt
JAS
Shotrock
McLaren
incontinentia
I'm never wrong
GPB
24 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 20 Empty PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by GPB Sat 01 Jan 2022, 2:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Happy New Year.  After a nearly a year and half, its time for a new thread.

39 ofthe 40 Players eligible to play Sentry ToC are playing.  Only one missing is Rory McIlroy.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 20 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by Duty281 Mon 13 May 2024, 4:59 pm

Winning on Sunday was probably the worst thing Rory could have done, because now the hype machine is in overdrive.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

navyblueshorts and super_realist like this post

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 20 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 14 May 2024, 11:20 am

Duty281 wrote:Winning on Sunday was probably the worst thing Rory could have done, because now the hype machine is in overdrive.
True, but he really should be used to it by now. Shouldn't he?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 14 May 2024, 8:22 pm

Never mind all that, Erica's gonna be in for a few quid!

BlueCoverman

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 14 May 2024, 8:37 pm

Filing for divorce...just the preparation required in the lead up to a major!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

BlueCoverman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 14 May 2024, 8:48 pm

I wonder if he told her by phone call?...

BlueCoverman

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 15 May 2024, 11:34 am

A bit of a surprise, but I assume it's been coming (albeit kept surprisingly quiet) for some time, so it's not like McIlroy should be in shock. I'm sure he's thought about what media are going to be asking him as well.

Still, does seem a bit odd from a timing perspective, but then maybe he thinks there isn't really a good time.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 15 May 2024, 6:07 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:A bit of a surprise, but I assume it's been coming (albeit kept surprisingly quiet) for some time, so it's not like McIlroy should be in shock. I'm sure he's thought about what media are going to be asking him as well.

Still, does seem a bit odd from a timing perspective, but then maybe he thinks there isn't really a good time.
I don’t see how he should be “in shock” seeing as he’s the one filing for divorce. Maybe the relief is the reason for his improved form last week. I just feel sorry for the kid - four year old caught up in a parental split is not good.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 16 May 2024, 8:49 am

Also worth bearing in mind at the time McIlroy split with Wozniaki he won The Open and PGA.

super_realist

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 16 May 2024, 10:40 am

LadyPutt wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:A bit of a surprise, but I assume it's been coming (albeit kept surprisingly quiet) for some time, so it's not like McIlroy should be in shock. I'm sure he's thought about what media are going to be asking him as well.

I don’t see how he should be “in shock” seeing as he’s the one filing for divorce. Maybe the relief is the reason for his improved form last week. I just feel sorry for the kid - four year old caught up in a parental split is not good.
That was my point. a) he's the one filing and b) presumably, it's been coming for some time (albeit the wider world were unaware), so I imagine he'd processed the decision pretty well by now.

Agree re. their daughter, but then that appears to be the norm these days, doesn't it? I'm not sure that any vows anyone makes are worth the paper they used to be written on and it's far too easy to get out of a marriage IMO.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 17 May 2024, 6:03 am

Scottie Shefflers eagle 2 at the first hole yesterday immediately took him into the top 20 on the round.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 17 May 2024, 11:36 am

Pretty amazing from Schauffele yesterday; can he keep it going? As a bonus to the event, I bet he, and anyone else, is really reassured that should they win it, it'll be a fully validated Major as the awesome Talor Gooch is in the field...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 18 May 2024, 5:24 am

Had to laugh when I saw the saintly Scottie Scheffler in an orange jumpsuit, the american cops are so OTT.
incontinentia
incontinentia

LadyPutt and BlueCoverman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 20 May 2024, 8:46 am

If you have talent, belief and persistence and you keep knocking on the door....eventually it will open. Well done Xander, the pressure did come on and he weathered it. Needing a bird on the last and getting it especially from that lie (stance) for the 2nd shot. Great stuff!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 20 May 2024, 9:21 am

Good for Schauffele. Probably one of the better players to have not won a major, until yesterday!

Glad Bryson didn't triumph.

Duty281

LadyPutt and navyblueshorts like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 20 May 2024, 11:15 am

Excellent work from Schauffele to bounce back from last week and generally poor Sundays to win yesterday - especially when Bryson and Hovland put together such good rounds and pressure on him!

Much deserving of a major I think - who is the new best player to have never won a major in the current game?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 21 May 2024, 3:52 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Excellent work from Schauffele to bounce back from last week and generally poor Sundays to win yesterday - especially when Bryson and Hovland put together such good rounds and pressure on him!

Much deserving of a major I think - who is the new best player to have never won a major in the current game?

Will be interesting to see if “getting the monkey of his back” results in a higher conversion rate over next few years. Hard to say either way because there are so so many capable each time the tour rocks up to a major.

As to who now inherits the best never to win one now homes in on Hovland? Tommy? Stateside it would I suppose be Homa? Cant lay? Of all of those Tommy has been around the longest.

Edit: a quick google and yeah, Tommy is now the stand-out. Top 5’d in each of the 4 runner up in both Open & US open & 3rd in Masters, total of 8 top 10s since 2017. That was Xanders 13th top 10 in a major

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 03 Jun 2024, 10:43 am

Excellent win for Mr. MacIntyre at the RBC Canadian last night, and hopefully this win'll spur him on to quite a few more. I've always liked the look of his swing, so glad to see it stack up like this.

Great story re. his dad being on his bag for the event, too. That must be brilliant for them both.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 03 Jun 2024, 2:32 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Excellent win for Mr. MacIntyre at the RBC Canadian last night, and hopefully this win'll spur him on to quite a few more. I've always liked the look of his swing, so glad to see it stack up like this.

Great story re. his dad being on his bag for the event, too. That must be brilliant for them both.
I will admit that I thought he wouldn't do as well as this. I also thought it was a bit crass of him to have the Ryder Cup score on his caddies bib at the tournament that allows you to put what you want on it. But he's proved me wrong and I am pleased for him. It also confirms (yet again) that the top players on the DP World Tour are the equal of anyone, as that is the second winner on the PGA Tour that's come from the DP World 2023 Top Ten.

I'm never wrong

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 03 Jun 2024, 2:39 pm

Nice strong field for the RBC this past weekend and a great win for MacIntyre.

Look for silly hard conditions at Pinehurst in a couple weeks. Domed greens will demand excellent iron play.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 10 Jun 2024, 9:28 am

Scheffler rattles off another win, this time just pipping Morikawa at Memorial.

3/1 to win the US Open this week - shortest odds for anyone to win a major since Tiger, surely?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Jun 2024, 10:25 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Scheffler rattles off another win, this time just pipping Morikawa at Memorial.

3/1 to win the US Open this week - shortest odds for anyone to win a major since Tiger, surely?

I just can't warm to Scheffler.

super_realist

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 10:42 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Scheffler rattles off another win, this time just pipping Morikawa at Memorial.

He's just a freak of nature. I think Tiger summed up Scheffler perfectly:

"If he putts decent, he's going to win. If he putts great, he blows away fields. If he has a bad putting week, he contends. He's just that good of a ball-striker."

Duty281

navyblueshorts, JAS, BlueCoverman and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 10 Jun 2024, 2:04 pm

super_realist wrote:

I just can't warm to Scheffler.

I know what you mean - I don't think he's particularly charismatic or entertaining to watch.
Clearly an exceptional golfer, don't get me wrong! Just find his relentless ball striking a little monotonous at times. Never really feels like it can go wildly wrong, not like when (I know he's also not your favourite golfer!) Spieth used to be in contention, chipping/putting in from ridiculous angles and blowing up from time to time.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 10 Jun 2024, 8:54 pm

While Scheffler has the on-course demeanor that could seemingly put a cup of coffee to sleep, I am amazed at this run he's on. No miracle shot, just relentless and near flawless execution. He could write the book on "miss-management."  Who knows how long it will last, but I enjoy watching domination like this.

Shotrock

navyblueshorts and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Jun 2024, 5:32 am

Shotrock wrote:While Scheffler has the on-course demeanor that could seemingly put a cup of coffee to sleep, I am amazed at this run he's on. No miracle shot, just relentless and near flawless execution. He could write the book on "miss-management."  Who knows how long it will last, but I enjoy watching domination like this.

I don't mind domination if it's entertaining, but I find Schefflers brand of golf dreary and boring. It's like watching Steve Davis play snooker, 1990's Italian football or Pete Sampras play tennis.

The one thing that is surprising about Scheffler is not his boring golf or dull, "yet another American bible thumper" personality but that he's still in his 20's. He looks late 40's. For the good of golf as a spectacle I'm hoping he has a Rev Gordon Spieth type short reign at the top before disappearing into obscurity.

super_realist

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 11 Jun 2024, 6:58 am

Duty281 wrote:

He's just a freak of nature. I think Tiger summed up Scheffler perfectly:

"If he putts decent, he's going to win. If he putts great, he blows away fields. If he has a bad putting week, he contends. He's just that good of a ball-striker."

I remember when I first heard he was working with Phil Kenyon. My first thought was, if that relationship works, even just a bit, he’s really going to dominate….and here we are!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 11 Jun 2024, 10:47 am

super_realist wrote:
Shotrock wrote:While Scheffler has the on-course demeanor that could seemingly put a cup of coffee to sleep, I am amazed at this run he's on. No miracle shot, just relentless and near flawless execution. He could write the book on "miss-management."  Who knows how long it will last, but I enjoy watching domination like this.

I don't mind domination if it's entertaining, but I find Schefflers brand of golf dreary and boring. It's like watching Steve Davis play snooker, 1990's Italian football or Pete Sampras play tennis.

The one thing that is surprising about Scheffler is not his boring golf or dull, "yet another American bible thumper"  personality but that he's still in his 20's. He looks late 40's. For the good of golf as a spectacle I'm hoping he has a Rev Gordon Spieth type short reign at the top before disappearing into obscurity.
Just out of interest, who would you advocate for, then? You couldn't stand Woods either as I recall. When I do so, I watch golf to be impressed by their skill; if I want gags I'll watch a highlight reel of Trevino or Peter Kay...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Jun 2024, 12:42 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:

The one thing that is surprising about Scheffler is not his boring golf or dull, "yet another American bible thumper"  personality but that he's still in his 20's. He looks late 40's. For the good of golf as a spectacle I'm hoping he has a Rev Gordon Spieth type short reign at the top before disappearing into obscurity.
Just out of interest, who would you advocate for, then? You couldn't stand Woods either as I recall. When I do so, I watch golf to be impressed by their skill; if I want gags I'll watch a highlight reel of Trevino or Peter Kay...

I'm talking about a player who is entertaining to watch. Phil Mickelson for example was excellent for this because he had imagination and was required due to his game to use it.
I can't stand Dechambeau as a human being, but he's another, McIlroy is enigmatic to watch that swing and great when he's on, but Scheffler as said whilst highly skilled and effective is like watching Pete Sampras, it's just a dreary procession with no real prospect of drama. Even someone like Hatton is more interesting to watch because he's got a bit of a screw loose.

Scheffler is very much "1-0 to the Arsenal"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 11 Jun 2024, 1:23 pm

Fair points, but Mickleson wasn't known as FIGJAM for nothing and Hatton's behaviour isn't something I'd be interested in. Surprised you didn't mention Bubba! Seems to me many of the 'characters' have gone to LIV, which says something about that 'character' for me...

I know what you mean re. Scheffler, but I quite like him in many ways. He may not jump up and down, but he can do it all.

navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Jun 2024, 2:50 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Fair points, but Mickleson wasn't known as FIGJAM for nothing and Hatton's behaviour isn't something I'd be interested in. Surprised you didn't mention Bubba! Seems to me many of the 'characters' have gone to LIV, which says something about that 'character' for me...

I know what you mean re. Scheffler, but I quite like him in many ways. He may not jump up and down, but he can do it all.

I'm not wanting him to jump up and down, but I'm talking about the whole package. Just as I'd rather have watched Agassi, Murray or Ivanisevic over Sampras or Tim Henman I'd rather watch a golfer who performed a bit of magic every now and again rather than some robotic tees and greens player, even Woods, who despite being a moron and a bore as a person had to produce some magic because his course management and driving were so bad.
Such players interest fans, and I hate to use that hackneyed expression but Scheffler "doesn't move the needle" he's an Alan Shearer when you want the best player in the world to produce spectacles like Matt Le Tissier.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 12 Jun 2024, 11:42 am

super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Fair points, but Mickleson wasn't known as FIGJAM for nothing and Hatton's behaviour isn't something I'd be interested in. Surprised you didn't mention Bubba! Seems to me many of the 'characters' have gone to LIV, which says something about that 'character' for me...

I'm not wanting him to jump up and down, but I'm talking about the whole package. Just as I'd rather have watched Agassi, Murray or Ivanisevic over Sampras or Tim Henman I'd rather watch a golfer who performed a bit of magic every now and again rather than some robotic tees and greens player, even Woods, who despite being a moron and a bore as a person had to produce some magic because his course management and driving were so bad.
Such players interest fans, and I hate to use that hackneyed expression but Scheffler "doesn't move the needle" he's an Alan Shearer when you want the best player in the world to produce spectacles like Matt Le Tissier.

You’re hankering after Seve aren’t you??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 12 Jun 2024, 12:35 pm

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:

You’re hankering after Seve aren’t you??
Who isn’t? I much prefer to watch the DPWT on TV because there are more characters around, even if their golf isn’t brilliant. Marcel Siem, Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Andy Sullivan are a few I follow. The American collegiate system just seems to churn out robots with no character at all. If I had to pick one on the PGAT I would go for Ludvig Aberg who at least looks as though he’s enjoying himself and, of course, Shane Lowry.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

navyblueshorts, JAS, BlueCoverman and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 13 Jun 2024, 6:49 pm

What’s the overall impression of Pinehurst as a test? Fairways are wider than the typical US Open average but I guess that’s because the green complexes demand approaches from fairway If you had typical us open fairway widths and too many approaches from rough we’d see nothing but greens not being held, many many awkward chips and 6 hour rounds?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 13 Jun 2024, 8:01 pm

JAS wrote:What’s the overall impression of Pinehurst as a test? Fairways are wider than the typical US Open average but I guess that’s because the green complexes demand approaches from fairway If you had typical us open fairway widths and too many approaches from rough we’d see nothing but greens not being held, many many awkward chips and 6 hour rounds?
Pinehurst is the perfect US Open test. It was designed with a US Open in mind, even though it took 100 years for it to host one. It's tests every club in the bag, especially for the short game. It tests the patience that is needed by a US Open champion. The sandy waste areas and wire grasses provide a hazard while at the same time, allowing players a chance to recover rather than just chopping out of heavy rough.
incontinentia
incontinentia

navyblueshorts, JAS and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 13 Jun 2024, 8:17 pm

Are there any bunkers or are they all waste areas? Thinking back to DJ and all his travails 2010 Whistling Straits.

I'm never wrong

JAS likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 13 Jun 2024, 9:12 pm

I do think it’s a fantastic test as well Incon, puts an absolute premium on short game and putting. The green complexes are among the best arguments there are against NOT needing additional tee to green length. Similar to PB and Augusta in that aspect (I.e. the greens can strip your dignity in an instant if you’re ANYTHING short of an A++ short game)

JAS

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 13 Jun 2024, 9:15 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Are there any bunkers or are they all waste areas?  Thinking back to DJ and all his travails 2010 Whistling Straits.

There are many yes but good comparison, number 1 question stepping onto sand…is it a bunker or is it a waste area??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 14 Jun 2024, 9:18 am

I loved watching yesterday - seemed a great test of the whole game. Fairways are a touch wider than usual US Opens but still not wide, and plenty of punishment for poor tee shots.
Approach shots have to be spot on and you get punished for being the wrong side of the pin by even a few yards. Patience and being in control of your golf ball paramount.

When you do make mistakes, rather than the usual US setup of rough just off the green, it gets punished with the run off areas and bunkers, which you then have to play a really good shot to recover rather than just stab a chip out of some rough just off the green. Lots of different approaches too with some chipping, some putting off the greens.

Compare this to what we saw at Valhalla at the PGA, this feels like a true major test. Valhalla felt like your regular PGA Tour stop

Only 15 players under par yesterday, and with the forecast it looks like it'll only get firmer over the weekend. Whoever wins this is going to have earnt it!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 14 Jun 2024, 10:59 am

Yep, I always prefer the events where it's a real battle, rather than the ones that are real low scorers.

Won't get too excited about Rory being tied for the lead, but maybe if he's still there after today...

Scheffler had a rough day, however he managed to get out of it just +1, which is a mark of his class.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 14 Jun 2024, 11:47 am

Anyone want to hazard a guess when "Three Round Rory" will have his customary blow up?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 14 Jun 2024, 2:28 pm

super_realist wrote:Anyone want to hazard a guess when "Three Round Rory" will have his customary blow up?
Today probably, he's already +2 early doors.

-------
Since too many posts were made, this topic has been divided automatically. You can find the rest of this topic here :
https://www.606v2.com/t71602-pgatour-running-commentary-january-2022
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20