The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

+28
formerly known as Sam
Mcsweens
Intotouch
doctor_grey
sensisball
Margin_Walker
EST
Oakdene
IanBru
EWT Spoons
Tramptastic
bsando
Unclear
demosthenes
funnyExiledScot
Old Man
Highland Shaun
TJ
TheMildlyFranticLlama
tigertattie
Anglobraveheart
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
RiscaGame
NeilyBroon
RDW
BigGee
32 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 2 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

Post by BigGee Wed 06 Apr 2022, 12:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

28 and counting, where do we get the energy!

Another Glasgow re-signing coming up this afternoon, following on from the White Rhino, the animal theme is hinted at again. Who could that be?

Ancient history:

https://www.606v2.com/t70348p1000-glasgow-and-edinburgh-unceasing-banter-thread-27#4033843

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

Post by TJ Fri 22 Apr 2022, 10:00 am

Anyone know how hastings is going down south? I haven't seen him play this season but on what Blairhorn has done this season compared to what I have seen from Hastings in the past I would now have Blairhorn above him.

IMO we have Finn then Blairhorn with Thompson only a whisker behind and Hastings in 4th. I have never seen the reason for the Hastings hype myself. I think he hesitates and gets caught in possesion too much

TJ

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

Post by RDW Fri 22 Apr 2022, 10:25 am

Hastings has been a regular starter for Gloucester and a key player in some big wins. He has done very well in a really tough environment week in week out. He seems to have fallen out of favour with Scotland, probably because he's not in Scotland, but he's still the 2nd best 10 we have until Kinghorn and Thomson reach the next level as 10s.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 22 Apr 2022, 12:00 pm

Hastings is starting tonight against Bristol in a derby game with Bath to come next week. Early in the season Gloucester appeared to be splitting his time at 10 with Evans, though that changed pretty quickly.

Chapman, the starting scrum half, is also Scots. Harris is starting and Davidson is on the bench. No sign of Craig (not seen him too much in line-ups, think he has had injury issues this season and is now suspended).

Considering Gloucester are in a battle with Exeter and Northampton for 4th and are in the Challenge Cup quarters with Hastings as the starting 10, he has put together an argument that he should be behind Russell.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 22 Apr 2022, 12:59 pm

Fair enough chaps.  I hope he has developed his game because prior to his move down south I saw no reason for his hype. Edit - I'll watch that game tonight and see if my opinion changes

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 22 Apr 2022, 4:05 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Hastings is starting tonight against Bristol in a derby game with Bath to come next week. Early in the season Gloucester appeared to be splitting his time at 10 with Evans, though that changed pretty quickly.

Chapman, the starting scrum half, is also Scots. Harris is starting and Davidson is on the bench. No sign of Craig (not seen him too much in line-ups, think he has had injury issues this season and is now suspended).

Considering Gloucester are in a battle with Exeter and Northampton for 4th and are in the Challenge Cup quarters with Hastings as the starting 10, he has put together an argument that he should be behind Russell.

Yeah easily. I can only think he's done something to rub toonie up the wrong way. Even with a pessimistic view he's certainly no worse than our other options and a far better kicker than Kinghorn.

Shug has also been tearing it up for Quins at 15. I think we need to see what he can do back in a Scotland shirt before England snap him up.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 22 Apr 2022, 5:19 pm

I get the feeling that H Jones may go to Argentina. Hogg had a Lions tour last year and looked tired for Scotland. After his little indiscretion, it may be best to give him a bit of a break. Same with Russell and Price.

Looking forward to the Stormers game, should be a good litmus test for this Glasgow side. A poor performance really puts us under pressure.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 22 Apr 2022, 6:16 pm

Good game in Cape Town

Glasgow started well but Stormers look like they are finding their straps now and lead 13-7 at HT, they look very dangerous ball in hand.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 22 Apr 2022, 7:02 pm

Glasgow really not playing well at all, they look like they met in the car park before the game. Not sure why they waited 60 minutes to get meatball on when RT really wasn’t going well

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 22 Apr 2022, 7:20 pm

Yeah, pretty awful from Glasgow in the second half. Could not even hold out to stop the Stormers getting the 5 pts.

We are a long way off the pace this season in truth, will likely make the last 8, but hard to see us going any further than that. It was a pretty uninspiring performance all round.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Fri 22 Apr 2022, 7:31 pm

That was pretty dreadful by Warriors, what is it with playing away, is it a mental thing or what?

Their fans must be pretty livid at that as they were toothless, didn't even look like scoring and were dire defensively plus indisciplined.

Oh and Josh was lucky as I was convinced it was red!!

Surely Edinburgh can't be as shocking!

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 22 Apr 2022, 7:34 pm

Ross Thompson has unfortunately had a real bad dose of second season syndrome and has at many times this season, today included, really struggled and Glasgow's attacking shape has gone the same way.

He is still young and has certainly got plenty of scope to improve, but does not look like an international FH in any shape or form atm. The difference for Glasgow with Russell or Hastings at the helm is very apparent to everyone.

Unfortunately Duncy is not the answer either and goodness knows what is going on with Miotti, who has hardly played all season.

Someone with a lot more insight than me needs to take a look at the FH situation at Glasgow going forward.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Fri 22 Apr 2022, 7:34 pm

That would have been a very harsh red card.

Good performance by the Stormers though.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 22 Apr 2022, 7:36 pm

Old Man wrote:That would have been a very harsh red card.

Good performance by the Stormers though.

Yes on both counts.

Well done Stormers, who are going to make a very good run at the competition this season. Let's hope they can maintain their form when they head North again.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 22 Apr 2022, 8:07 pm

Stormers played some really good rugby, if they’d managed to keep their own error count lower it could’ve been a real horsing for Glasgow. Well played the South Africans clap

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 22 Apr 2022, 8:10 pm

And there we have the other side of Kinghorn as a 10. Howling missed touch from about 10cm away from the line!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 22 Apr 2022, 8:13 pm

Edinburgh making hard work of this game so far.

Kinghorn making all the mistakes you would expect of an inexperienced FH as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 22 Apr 2022, 8:43 pm

Glasgow were really poor after the try. It was like they eased up and thought they were going to win easily. Stormers deservedly won

The addition of the Saffas will help us develop our scrum. We had a bit of a mixed day on that front.

McKay I would single out as well for having a poor game. He pinched in hard on one of the tries (3rd?) when he should have stayed out. He did not take man and ball leaving an easy 2 on 1 with plenty of space.

We need one win to guarantee Champions Cup I reckon (coming 8th is Challenge Cup if none of the Welsh sides are top half). Fingers crossed it is next week.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 22 Apr 2022, 9:43 pm

Well Edinburgh take a 5 points that they hardly deserve!

Still, it's points in the bank and other results have gone their way. Take it and move on!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 22 Apr 2022, 10:39 pm

BigGee wrote:Well Edinburgh take a 5 points that they hardly deserve!

Still, it's points in the bank and other results have gone their way. Take it and move on!

Sign of a world class team Gee; playing poorly and getting a bonus point win.

How did Glasgow get on? Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 22 Apr 2022, 10:42 pm

BigGee wrote:
Kinghorn making all the mistakes you would expect of an inexperienced FH as well.

He should go in the stocks at Edinburgh Castle for kicking the ball dead at that penalty!

Not vintage, but a shout out to Schoemann and Muncaster (in particular). I also think it's now clear that Boyle's form has him ahead of Watson at the moment.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Apr 2022, 1:42 am

I think all the Lions should be rested in the summer and there's plenty form players to step in. Only one we might have to take is Fagerson given the lack of other options. Sutherland has barely played all season too so should be ok too.

Watson - Boyle & Darge
Price - Vellacot and Dobie
Finn - Hastings and Kinghorn
VDM - various
Harris - Bennet
Hogg - Jones &Smith

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:28 am

I agree RDW, that's exactly what I'd do as well. We need then to re-charge their batteries. Watson in particular looks short of his old self.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 23 Apr 2022, 11:36 am

Well, last night was hardly uplifting for any Scottish fans. chin
The Luvvies made the worst team in the league look good. Glasgow managed to lose the game by the 38th minute. picard

Now, if we were talking Wendyball then the Luvvies would have an easy solution to the Kinghorn conundrum: sell him to a French club and buy a decent 10. If he can't run the game at home to the three legged Zebras when can he? He continues to look as if he should be a really, really good player BUT he can't play 12 or 13, he'll never be a top class 15, isn't ahead of VDM or Titman or ADHD Kid or Seaman as a winger....he's not even "The Poor Man's Peter Horne".

Glasgow remain infuriatingly consistent; they struggle away from home and even at home the difference between their first 20 minutes and last 20 in any game is shocking. Put simply, if they aren't well ahead by half time I know I can start watching Bridgerton as there's very little chance of Glasgow putting a smile on my face.

Among Glasgow fans Danny Wilson is achieving Boris Johnson levels of disapproval, something must change and quick.
I can see Glasgow losing to the Bulls and then the Annual Slaughter becomes almost irrelevant as we'll most likely get an away berth in the play offs and.....we couldn't even beat Cardiff away.

Ho hum. there's always next season.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 23 Apr 2022, 12:43 pm

"The Poor Man's Peter Horne".

Thats harsh Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 2 1f600

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 23 Apr 2022, 1:10 pm

But he's not half the player Furra Linee was. Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 2 1347041234

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:45 pm

To be fair to Edinburgh they did get a red card just after halftime. That's pretty disruptive. Yes it's only Zebre but we got the 5 points.

I suspect top spot is all gonna come down to the 1872 - good thing Glasgow are traditionally so gash at Murrayfield!

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 25 Apr 2022, 9:51 am

Did not see the Edinburgh game. Was the discipline as poor as Glasgow's? Saw there was a yellow and a red so is that a fair reflection?

Both sides need to get into the groove for next weekend. Glasgow could guarantee our spot in the Champions Cup next season if we can beat the Bulls. The Bulls struggled in the first half against Bennetton and have an on paper less accomplished front five than the Stormers, but the backs have some old caps in Mapoe, Hendricks and Morne Steyn, and the back row has Brink and Marcell Coetzee.

Same for Edinburgh, win and they are in. Even if Scarlets won with bonus points to get to 53, they would need to make up a 109 point difference with Edinburgh.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 25 Apr 2022, 11:57 am

Edinburgh's propping issues continue with De Bruin and Venter rules out for the rest of the season. Combined with Nel's ridiculous ban, and things are getting a bit tight.

I saw Immelman post on social media in a knee brace and crutches too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 25 Apr 2022, 12:06 pm

Nel's ban could have been reduced to 2 games if he did the naughty boys course.

Surely they would have put him onto that to get him back for this weekend. They will need him!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 25 Apr 2022, 9:22 pm

RDW wrote:Edinburgh's propping issues continue with De Bruin and Venter rules out for the rest of the season. Combined with Nel's ridiculous ban, and things are getting a bit tight.

I saw Immelman post on social media in a knee brace and crutches too.

Our depth is to be sorely tested I fear. I don’t like Jaco at 15, and we're getting horribly thin at tighthead. As Gee notes, I'm assuming Nel was at the front of the naughty boy course with his arm in the air. We need him back!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 26 Apr 2022, 2:22 pm

No Seaman for the rest of the season. Ratu Tagive has flown out to Biltongland.
I think we'll see a back three of Forbes-Smith- McKay with Ratu benching .
Johnson-Shona in the centres.
Aldi- Meatball at half backs.
I get the feeling that we need changes in the pack but I don't see any obvious improvements. Turner over Matthews? Probably.
Bhatti and Berghan over OK and Ragnar? Not convinced.
Do we have a viable lock option?
6 needs Matt Fagerson; BBB is gnarly but not mobile enough, Miller is mobile but looked as if he got bullied. Darge with Mullet at 7?
Caz the quiet bookie is a Bulls fan. He'll be in my ear for the full 80 feccin minutes.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 26 Apr 2022, 2:52 pm

I think Johnson got injured as well, so we may well need another IC!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 26 Apr 2022, 3:49 pm

There are pics of him training with the others on the FB page. Mind it did say at the weekend that he went off with an injured ankle.
So... Ferguson at 13 and Shona at 12? Or Ollie Smith at 13 and Ratu on the wing?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 26 Apr 2022, 4:23 pm

Ollie Smith was originally meant to be an outside centre coming through. Job description has changed somewhat since then.

McDowall is out there and is an IC. Probably the most like-for-like to replace S Johnson. Wouldn't mind dropping Tuipulotu and giving McDowall the OC spot if S Johnson is fit. I am unconvinced by Tuipulotu's defensive chops.

I would like to drop McKay after his performance last week, however I can't see it with Steyn, McLean and Cancelliere all out.

Rotate the front rows, Bulls front row is less gnarly than the Stormers on paper and Bhatti - Turner - Berghan is not a bad way to start. Bring Kebble - Matthews - Zander on after 40-50 minutes. I thought the lock pairing worked fine and put huge pressure on the Stormers line-out.

Maybe Gordon for Miller and commit to being a menace at the breakdowns? No good answer in the back row without Wilson and M Fagerson.

I would drop Thompson to the bench and bring Miotti to start. He has played for Jaguares and must have experience in SA conditions. I don't see the point of having an experienced, Tier 1 international if we are not going to use him.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 26 Apr 2022, 4:38 pm

We might see a bit more rotation than we imagine for this one.

We have got a big game in France as soon as we get back and then straight into the derby match. If we flog everyone to death now, there won't be much left in the tank for those games either.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 26 Apr 2022, 8:40 pm

Is Miotti over in Biltongland? I thought it was just Meatball and The Boy Wonder.
So
10 Meatball
11 Tagive
12 Lord Stafford
13 Smith
14 Forbes
15 McKay

I know it won't happen but it's Toonie's birthday and you know that's what he'd want.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 27 Apr 2022, 9:21 am

Miotti is meant to be according to the SA tour squad listed by Glasgow

https://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/glasgow-warriors-confirm-touring-squad-for-south-africa-trip

To be honest, that backline would probably outplay the equivalent Stormers performance.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 27 Apr 2022, 9:23 am

Miotti has been in social media posts so is definitely out there

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 27 Apr 2022, 1:47 pm

Billy Bragg sang, " When the phone didn't ring then I knew it wasn't you".
When I saw someone I didn't recognise I should have known it was Miotti.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Apr 2022, 11:23 pm

Play Tam Gordon at centre, you know you want to? He's one of my favourite tacklers in Scottish rugby; leaves it all out there.

I could have a servant Google this but we're in a cost of living crisis and we're short handed in fES towers: is Ollie Smith SQ? With Kinghorn working toward being the next Larkham, and Hogg becoming a bit of a key person risk, the 15 jersey isn't looking deep in terms of a bench, and Smith looks the part to me.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Thu 28 Apr 2022, 8:53 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Play Tam Gordon at centre, you know you want to? He's one of my favourite tacklers in Scottish rugby; leaves it all out there.

I could have a servant Google this but we're in a cost of living crisis and we're short handed in fES towers: is Ollie Smith SQ? With Kinghorn working toward being the next Larkham, and Hogg becoming a bit of a key person risk, the 15 jersey isn't looking deep in terms of a bench, and Smith looks the part to me.

Born in ... Ayr.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 28 Apr 2022, 9:30 am

Oh Festering One, that last post isn't quite as coherent as your usual offerings so either you have been putting Chateau Lafitte on your muesli again or you delegated the task to one of your grooms. N.B. decades of underfunding state education is good inasmuch as it produces an underclass "willing" to work for peanuts, but it is bad inasmuch as you end up with inelegantly constructed sentences and posts which reveal an ignorance of Ayr's global dominance of world rugby.

Mullet at centre picard picard picard
We may well see Shona at 12 and Fergusson at 13, though I would prefer Smith there. It just shows what a massive loss Seaman is; normally if Shona is out Seaman plays 13 (better than he plays wing imho), if Johnson is out then Shona goes to 12 and Seaman at 13. At present Shona looks in need of a rest and Johnson may be carrying an injury. Suddenly it's a mystery who plays where.

Stafford-Smith?
Miotti- Stafford?
Meatball-Fergusson?

When you factor in Thompson's recent form, or lack of, it doesn't make the heart sing.
Glasgow need a win out of their next two games.... I really expect them to front up tomorrow and show some appetite for the fight otherwise the season will end not with a bang but with a whimper. As someone once said.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 28 Apr 2022, 10:03 am

Well I'm very late to the party but Covid has finally got me! Was starting to think I was one of the lucky few super immune people but alas no...

Definitely done well to last this long without it!

Guess I'll just have to sit on my ass for 7 days watching sport...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 28 Apr 2022, 10:05 am

RDW wrote:Well I'm very late to the party but Covid has finally got me! Was starting to think I was one of the lucky few super immune people but alas no...

Definitely done well to last this long without it!

Guess I'll just have to sit on my ass for 7 days watching sport...

It does seem to get everyone in the end.

Hope it's not to bad for you and remember to give yourself a bit of time to recover, the effects can linger around.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 28 Apr 2022, 10:07 am

I do hope you're fully vaxxed. If so you should be fine Fingers Crossed
If not...can I have your shiny badge?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 28 Apr 2022, 10:23 am

I actually got my second booster on Tuesday (the 'benefit' of having an immuno compromising condition) so really bad timing. I was in the office yesterday as I just thought I had the booster shakes.

Turns out it was Covid!

On the plus side in Australia you can get the fancy new Covid drugs if you're classed at risk so I'll be getting those tomorrow!

Costs you £65 a year to renew the license for the site if you have the shiny black badge Jimbo so be careful what you wish for!

Last edited by RDW on Thu 28 Apr 2022, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 28 Apr 2022, 10:25 am

Fancy new drugs Very Happy You could have stayed in Westerhailles.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 28 Apr 2022, 11:18 am

demosthenes wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Play Tam Gordon at centre, you know you want to? He's one of my favourite tacklers in Scottish rugby; leaves it all out there.

Born in ... Ayr.
Very Happy I came as soon as I heard the sound of gallusness.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 28 Apr 2022, 12:06 pm

Glasgow Warriors team to face the Vodacom Bulls at Loftus Versfeld, Friday 29 April, kick-off 6pm (UK time), live on Premier Sports 1. You can also follow all the action as it happens in our Live Match Centre at glasgowwarriors.org.

1. Jamie Bhatti (63)
2. George Turner (73)
3. Zander Fagerson (111)
4. Rob Harley (263)
5. Richie Gray (79)
6. Ryan Wilson (C) (209)
7. Rory Darge (19)
8. Jack Dempsey (18)

9. Ali Price (107)
10. Duncan Weir (123)
11. Cole Forbes (22)
12. Stafford McDowall (36)
13. Sione Tuipulotu (16)
14. Josh McKay (11)
15. Ollie Smith (16)

16. Fraser Brown (121)
17. Oli Kebble (74)
18. Simon Berghan (9)
19. Kiran McDonald (51)
20. Thomas Gordon (49)
21. Jamie Dobie (34)
22. Ross Thompson (33)
23. Sam Johnson (89)

Unavailable for selection: Sebastian Cancelliere, Scott Cummings, Matt Fagerson, George Horne, Rufus McLean, Kyle Steyn.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 28 Apr 2022, 12:09 pm

As suspected a bit of rotation and maybe some less than stellar performers last week, warming the pine for their troubles.

Looks a decent bench again, which we will no doubt need as the big fellas run out of puff in the thin air at around the 50 minute mark!

I don't see a lot of players in the Bulls side that I recognise, but hard to imagine they will be anything other than very strong and physical at home!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next