The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger

+32
Oakdene
mikey_dragon
Pot Hale
Kingshu
Welshmushroom
Maine man
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Pete330v2
Anglobraveheart
LeinsterFan4life
TJ
EWT Spoons
formerly known as Sam
EST
Mad for Chelsea
NeilyBroon
Collapse2005
demosthenes
RiscaGame
Mcsweens
Hazel Sapling
Heuer27
doctor_grey
Tramptastic
sensisball
funnyExiledScot
tigertattie
jimbopip
bsando
BigGee
RDW
George Carlin
36 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger - Page 17 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger

Post by George Carlin Sat 17 Dec 2022, 7:11 am

First topic message reminder :

29 threads. There is officially something wrong with us.

https://www.606v2.com/t70624p1000-glasgow-and-edinburgh-28-and-counting-the-banter-goes-on?ns=7ndk62cdm0w%3D#4069230

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 17 Dec 2022, 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger - Page 17 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 25 May 2023, 7:04 pm

Rumor has it Simon berghan may be off to sarries, not a bad place to end your career!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger - Page 17 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 29 - Buckfast & Bollinger

Post by BigGee Thu 25 May 2023, 8:03 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:Rumor has it Simon berghan may be off to sarries, not a bad place to end your career!

Worked well enough for Tim Swinson!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 25 May 2023, 8:07 pm

Glasgow put out an end of season message today in which the elderly ruck inspector aka Al Kellock said thst Glasgow recruitment would be finalised over the summer, along with some partnership deals with some of the Super 6 clubs

You do feel Glasgow are still a little light in a few positions.

The rumours continue around Tuipolotu Jnr. But we may need a little bit more than that.

Everyone heading off on holiday now. So probably won't hear anything for a while.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 May 2023, 10:16 pm

Tuipolotu jnr is starting for the Waratahs tomorrow away to Crusaders - worth a watch

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 26 May 2023, 11:37 am

NeilyBroon wrote:Rumor has it Simon berghan may be off to sarries, not a bad place to end your career!

Nothing in it, he's done. Waiting to hear back from a couple of financial institutions to start his post rugby career.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 26 May 2023, 3:17 pm

Glasgow have a bit of recruitment to do but there are also plenty of players without a club and we do need to get some youngsters coming through.

The franchise system works well in the USA because colleges effectively get free labour and build up the reputations of the players to then go into the main league. It also helps that all have similar budgets with life-changing sums of money available. We don't have an equivalent.

Weirdly, now might be the time for a B&I league... censored

Hazel Sapling

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 27 May 2023, 11:20 am

Unfortunately it does look like London Irish are going under. Baring miracles, it will happen next week.

You do wonder if Ben White's agent already speaking to Edinburgh and Kyle Rowe's to Glasgow.

Logan Trotter already released, his promising start down there also ended by injury, but if he is fit again, might also be worth talking to about a contract.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Hazel Sapling likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 28 May 2023, 12:40 am

Funny to think that Edinburgh have two league winners joining them next season.

And those people are Robin Hislop and Ben Healy!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 30 May 2023, 5:46 pm

Clark laidlaw is the new head coach of the hurricanes. Interesting journey he’s had. Shall be intriguing to see how he does with them.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 Jun 2023, 10:53 pm

BigGee wrote:Unfortunately it does look like London Irish are going under. Baring miracles, it will happen next week.

You do wonder if Ben White's agent already speaking to Edinburgh and Kyle Rowe's to Glasgow.

Logan Trotter already released, his promising start down there also ended by injury, but if he is fit again, might also be worth talking to about a contract.

Well they've now gone bust so this may happen!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Wed 07 Jun 2023, 9:44 am

White's an interesting one. He moved to LI for gametime, but more importantly to live with to his partner (Jodie Burrage), who's an international tennis pro based in London.

Needs must at the end of the day, but if a contract was on offer from Quins or Sarries, he'd probably take that first.

Kyle Rowe's also fit again after his year out.

The Scottish lad I really feel for is Charlie Moss (Sco U18 lock). Looked handy in the U18 6N. Just signed pro terms on a senior academy deal from Midlands Central (the old Wasps U18 setup being run by the RFU). This crap's happened to him twice in one season.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 07 Jun 2023, 10:00 am

Margin_Walker wrote:White's an interesting one. He moved to LI for gametime, but more importantly to live with to his partner (Jodie Burrage), who's an international tennis pro based in London.

Needs must at the end of the day, but if a contract was on offer from Quins or Sarries, he'd probably take that first.

Kyle Rowe's also fit again after his year out.

The Scottish lad I really feel for is Charlie Moss (Sco U18 lock). Looked handy in the U18 6N. Just signed pro terms on a senior academy deal from Midlands Central (the old Wasps U18 setup being run by the RFU). This crap's happened to him twice in one season.

Quins and Sarries are both pretty well stocked at SH and White, as an international now, will be looking for a decent pay check now.

Edinburgh seems the most likely destination still and if his sgent has not been scoping that out over the last few months, given the way the wind has been blowing, then he has not been doing his job.

I hope Kyle Rowe gets another chance, so unfortunate to geg an i jury like that kn your international debut.

Glasgow, again, are light on wingers and if he is in good shape now, if would certainly be a good fit.

Maybe the young lad could move up to one of our academies as well, they sound like they are clearing out a few players at the end of this season.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 08 Jun 2023, 9:29 pm

It's sounding like Ben White will end up with a Scottish club via an SRU contract with LI going boom. I'd presume Edinburgh as they are more in need of a 9.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 08 Jun 2023, 10:40 pm

Edinburgh are definitely in need of a decent 9!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 09 Jun 2023, 12:16 pm

Wonder what kind of budget both Edinburgh and Glasgow have still left this summer to sign players.

Edinburgh must have a fair bit given they let so many players go.

The free agent player pool at the moment is massive so there are going to be some quality bargains to be had.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 09 Jun 2023, 12:32 pm

It's a good point about the number of free transfers. Glasgow haven't announced many new transfers - maybe the smart money was to wait and see how many became available!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 09 Jun 2023, 12:55 pm

Both sides will have cleared a bit of payroll no doubt.

McInally, Wilson, Johnson, Berghan and a few others would have been on decent wages

Hoyland, Immelman, VDW would have been on ok money as well, so there should be a little bit in the pot.

Both squads do look a little light still, especially with the WC disruption this year, so I would be surprised ic there were no more signings.

White to Edinburgh and Rowe to Glasgow would be a decent start.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 09 Jun 2023, 12:58 pm

The main problem for Edinburgh though will be committing to new players before they have sourced a coach.

Glasgow are in a more settled situation and you would imsgine Franco has a pretty good idea what he now wants.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 09 Jun 2023, 12:58 pm

Liam Sopoaga has left Lyon and looking for a new club. Him and White would really bolster that Edinburgh squad but that seems a bit mad given some of the talent Edinburgh have at the moment. I’d certainly be happy to have him though.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 09 Jun 2023, 1:02 pm

bsando wrote:Liam Sopoaga has left Lyon and looking for a new club. Him and White would really bolster that Edinburgh squad but that seems a bit mad given some of the talent Edinburgh have at the moment. I’d certainly be happy to have him though.

Glasgow are the side needing a FH!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 09 Jun 2023, 2:51 pm

BigGee wrote:
bsando wrote:Liam Sopoaga has left Lyon and looking for a new club. Him and White would really bolster that Edinburgh squad but that seems a bit mad given some of the talent Edinburgh have at the moment. I’d certainly be happy to have him though.

Sopoaga to become a soapdodga? Shocked

I thought I'd do that before the Tramspotters got on board.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 09 Jun 2023, 3:14 pm

jimbopip wrote:
BigGee wrote:

Laugh Jimbo..

Miotti, Jordan, weir, thompson, how many more do thé weegies need?? Healy and Savala can’t do it all next season with a little help from fake-half kinghorn. An over priced former all black is just what Edinburgh need to solve their problems.. and a coach too perhaps.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 09 Jun 2023, 3:29 pm

bsando wrote:
jimbopip wrote:
BigGee wrote:

Laugh Jimbo..

Miotti, As Churchull said of the Soviet Union a riddle wrapped inside a puzzle wrapped in an enigma. Or as many a Glasgow fan has said, "Can he play? When is he gaunny start?"
Jordan,signed as a back up 12, third behind Johnson and Shona...fourth if you counted Stafford. Emergency cover at 10 shocked us all... in a good way. Not really a first choice 10.
weir Alas poor Dunkie. The General doesn't seem to rate him and his lack of game time showed in some of his appearances. I have a real soft spot for him but even I can't see why they kept him on this season: if you're playing Stafford at 10 in a cup final and Dunkie isn't even in the 23 then why are we paying him?
thompson, a real 10, an out and out Out Half. but is he too young to be carrying the team on his slender frame? Still leagues ahead of Blarehorn as a 10, mind. Even Tigertattie is, slightly, ahead of Blarehorn as a 10.

how many more do thé weegies need?? Healy and Savala can’t do it all next season with a little  help from fake-half kinghorn. An over priced former all black is just what Edinburgh need to solve their problems.. and a coach too perhaps.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 09 Jun 2023, 3:34 pm

In truth - Glasgow's record with former All Blacks is not really much to write home about, so the luuvies can hsve him!

Glasgow may gave a few FHs but non if them look the finished article yet

Weir - love Duncy but even his biggest fans (my wife amongst them) probsbly accept he is past his best

Miotti - has never really convinced really and you suspect Franco only plays him when he has to!

Jordan - good solid player, great passing and running game and rock solid defensively but can't kick and struggles to manage a game, may turn out to be a better 12 than 10

Thompson - well we are not really sure if he is good or not. A promising start followed by a bad case of second season syndrome and then injuries. Next season he will hopefully get his chance to shine.

If we are going to be a side challenging for honours though and not just settling for beating Edinburgh twice, we do need a playmaking FH. The kack of one cist us against Munster and was a factor against Toulon.

We csn run round the poorer tesms in the league all night long, but need more than that to best the better teams.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 09 Jun 2023, 3:36 pm

I think Jimbo and I are more or less saying the same thing, but at least I did not mess up the quotation function 😅

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 11 Jun 2023, 12:07 pm

I was thinking the same about Miotti but I think he only played 9 games last season or something close to that, Jordan's form and a 6-2 bench appear to have held him back. Given the red card incident do you think Smith will look to utilise him more next season?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 13 Jun 2023, 10:48 am

It's interesting how our perception of players doesn't necessarily match the stats - URC have just posted a tribute to Fraser Brown being the most accurate hooker on the championship with 137 out of 155 successful lineouts, and only 1 steal.

Of course as we know stats don't tell the whole story and even without looking at the stats I can say Brown is guilty of messing up the most important lineouts. I bet a lot of those missed lineouts were at a time when they were really needed!

I wonder how many of those were missed without Richie Gray too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 14 Jun 2023, 7:54 am

SJ off to Brive apparently. Does that rule him out of contention for Scotland now? He was a starter not so long ago but the rise of Huwipulotu and McDowall seems to have persuaded him to focus on his club career over more international honours. On a side note Ross Moriarty has joined Brive too.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 14 Jun 2023, 8:46 am

Unless he's had to agree to not play for Scotland again I can't see the move as having ruled him out!

I always felt there was more to Johnson than we've seen beyond a couple of highlights, Tuipulotu brings more in every facet of the game and Redpath has more potential so he's maybe seen the writing on the wall?

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Jun 2023, 9:50 am

There's nothing officially stopping him playing for Scotland but I suspect Brive have signed him on the basis he won't be. He's not actually that far off a WC callup pending a few injuries, but I suspect that ship has sailed.

P.s. greetings from Fiji where I'm spending my Aussie 'winter' holidays. It's bloody lovely. They had touch rugby on the resort greens yesterday - it's a shame I mixed up my timings and was stuck at a bar as I was looking forward to showing the Fijians how it's done...

Last edited by RDW on Wed 14 Jun 2023, 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Jun 2023, 9:54 am

Btw Ben White just posted on Instagram that he's in Edinburgh...

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 14 Jun 2023, 10:10 am

That’s awesome RDW, enjoy! I think you probably had your timings spot on

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 14 Jun 2023, 11:06 am

Flounder, Shocked
if you're in Fiji you must, absolutely must show the Fijians where they ae going wrong. Tell them you're stern Vern's love child (out of a drunken night with Judy Murray...I'm sure you have the looks to carry it off) . Then go on a barnstorming slalloming run a la Chunk jacobson.
What could go wrong?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 14 Jun 2023, 2:25 pm

bsando wrote:SJ off to Brive apparently. Does that rule him out of contention for Scotland now? He was a starter not so long ago but the rise of Huwipulotu and McDowall seems to have persuaded him to focus on his club career over more international honours. On a side note Ross Moriarty has joined Brive too.
Didn't Brive get relegated this year? Joining Tomas Francis in the D2. Merde.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 14 Jun 2023, 3:11 pm

George Carlin wrote:
bsando wrote:SJ off to Brive apparently. Does that rule him out of contention for Scotland now? He was a starter not so long ago but the rise of Huwipulotu and McDowall seems to have persuaded him to focus on his club career over more international honours. On a side note Ross Moriarty has joined Brive too.
Didn't Brive get relegated this year? Joining Tomas Francis in the D2. Merde.

Yes I think so, but it’s a difficult transfer market at the moment given how many prem clubs have gone under and the debacle in welsh rugby. Maitland said he only secured a last minute deal with Saracens a few days before he would have had to give a farewell speech at the end of season dinner (planet rugby for that interview). That would likely have been his career over.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 14 Jun 2023, 3:11 pm

Brive look like they are stacking their squad in anticipation of an early return to the Top 14!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 14 Jun 2023, 3:15 pm

Good job for Maitland he signed as he is out with a knee injury, sustained in the cup final for 4 months!

No WC call up for him if any of our wingers goes down then!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 14 Jun 2023, 4:25 pm

RDW wrote:Btw Ben White just posted on Instagram that he's in Edinburgh...

The entire Scotland squad are currently training & staying at Oriam

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 14 Jun 2023, 4:56 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:

Laugh Laugh Laugh

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Jun 2023, 8:47 pm

BigGee wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

Laugh Laugh Laugh

You can prove anything with facts! Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 15 Jun 2023, 11:54 am

Am I the only one who hates the close season?
You know, that endless period of time when nothing happens and there is nothing on the news channels to fill the endless days.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jun 2023, 9:10 pm

jimbopip wrote:Am I the only one who hates the close season?
You know, that endless period of time when nothing happens and there is nothing on the news channels to fill the endless days.

That's why I love the Aussie sporting calendar - year round action.

You need to get into cricket!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 15 Jun 2023, 9:24 pm

RDW wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Am I the only one who hates the close season?

That's why I love the Aussie sporting calendar - year round action.

You need to get into cricket!

Is cricket a sport?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jun 2023, 9:29 pm

You get to drink for 5 days straight whole watching it so can't be all bad!

RDW
Founder
Founder

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Fri 16 Jun 2023, 9:52 am

I got into cricket as a new hobby post lock-down. My reasoning was that I was too old for 5-a-side (and certainly too old for rugby), but not quite old enough yet for golf.

I'm still buzzing from the T20 game at Newfield last night. We were chasing 147 and slowly nibbled away. We were kept in it by a series of comedic moments. One of their guys attempted a valiant chase down of a ball dribbling towards the boundary and then tried to execute a sort of slide tackle gather, which meant he ended up kicking it over the boundary for 4. Another opponent made an excellent catch, only to realise he was standing behind the boundary when he made it. The scenes.

We needed 7 off the last over to win. They were happy to let the game peter out by not fielding seriously in order to keep our less experienced batters at the crease, which I thought was less than sporting. Then we needed 6 off the last 2 balls. A miracle was required, but then their pace man throws a wide that goes all the way for 4, so that gifts us 5, guaranteeing a draw! We get 2 off the last ball and win the game.

I myself got run out for 11, after my first 6 of the season and then attempting a quick greedy single

Mcsweens

RDW likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Jun 2023, 10:01 am

I'm sure to most people that may as well be in a different language Mcsweens but I followed along!  

Australia has definitely changed me...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Mcsweens likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Fri 16 Jun 2023, 10:13 am

Cheers RDW, I know, it is a language unto itself!

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 18 Jun 2023, 10:57 pm

Simon Berghan has announced his retirement
 In an era where we've not had many good tightheads in Scotland he's been a real stalwart. There's certainly been times where if he hadn't moved to scotl, both Edinburgh and Scotland would have been in trouble due to a real lack of depth.

I remember when he first moved.over here he was too big and his conditioning wasn't great so was always injured. He fixed that and had a really good run of a few seasons that culminated in him deservedly getting capped.

RDW
Founder
Founder

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 19 Jun 2023, 9:28 am

EWT Spoons wrote:

Nothing in it, he's done.  Waiting to hear back from a couple of financial institutions to start his post rugby career.

Called it

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 19 Jun 2023, 9:38 am

RDW wrote:Simon Berghan has announced his retirement
 In an era where we've not had many good tightheads in Scotland he's been a real stalwart. There's certainly been times where if he hadn't moved to scotl, both Edinburgh and Scotland would have been in trouble due to a real lack of depth.

I remember when he first moved.over here he was too big and his conditioning wasn't great so was always injured. He fixed that and had a really good run of a few seasons that culminated in him deservedly getting capped.

His biggest issue was always his height. He's 6.2/6.3 which is generally far too tall for a TH, so he's really had to work hard to get round that.

His technique was largely very good.

He almost totally gave up on Scotland/Edinburgh in his first couple of seasons as he was completely being ignored by Solly, and kept out the team by some terrible players. Glad it all worked out for him though, as he's a good bloke.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next