The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+14
eirebilly_01
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Soul Requiem
Galted
VTR
sirfredperry
Duty281
guildfordbat
KP_fan
kingraf
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pal Joey
alfie
18 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 14 Empty Rest of the World

Post by alfie Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Blimey...just flicked back to see Australia making a meal of chasing 34 to win. Warner another fail (is that a strong hint that his time is all but done ?)

But also Smith Khawaja and Head gone...29/4 and extras has made 14 of them !

Only need five more so no problem...but SA might wonder what might have been if they'd been able to produce a bit more resistance in that awful second innings.

Supports kingraf's pitch assessment , I guess Smile

alfie

Galted likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 14 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by msp83 Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:47 am

Good win for South Africa. Bavuma, who bagged a pair on test captaincy, can be happy though, as they are back winning again... But the batting remains brittle, and they are not optimizing available resources. Petersen and Bavuma, should at the very least, swap their positions. Temba made most of his test runs at 5 and 6. Petersen in his short career, looked decent at 3. Think it should be Keshav for Muthusamy for the next test, with Jansen moving up to 7, or perhaps Mulder for Coetzee, with Maharaj coming in at 9. Though Mulder seems to be rated in SA circles, what I have seen of him at the top level, seems just short of test class with both bat and ball... Seems to have more potential with the bat...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:23 am

msp83 wrote:South Africa ripping through the West Indies top order. Old warhorse Kemar Roach proved he still has some left in the tank with an inspired 5for, but the batting just isn't up to it against a strong SA bowling lineup.
The way Roach has reinvented himself after injury is a real credit to him and sometimes underappreciated I think. He was a genuine pace bowler early on but lost that pace and turned himself into a completely different bowler to stay relevant. Not an easy thing to do by any stretch, even more difficult given the financial difficulties in the Windies system now meaning he wont have had the same support available that others might.

I find it somewhat Dennis Lillee-esque what he's done. Not quite as single minded as Lillee who basically rebuilt his body and bowling with the help of a friend at a time when bowlers with that sort of injury went on he scrap heap. But certainly still a great story in there. He's not as good a bowler as Lillee of course but then few are or were!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:58 pm

Comfortable enough for SA in the end. West Indies did well (notably Roach indeed) to get themselves a technically gettable target ; but their batting just wasn't up to it against some very handy SA pace bowling.
Nothing new really. We know both sides have dodgy batting lineups. And some good pace men. But they are both unfortunately at risk of declining further in the Test arena the way the current Big Three and franchise dominated cricketing world is moving.

It's a worry.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:02 pm

Ashwin gets Khawaja with the second ball. 0/1.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:05 pm

Dramatic start ! First ball takes off nearly over the keepers head and second gets an edge and a wicket...Usman apparently didn't think he'd hit it but looked pretty obvious - and confirmed by technology.

Ashwin will be energised...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:08 pm

Wonder if Head will take them on from the start ? A quick twenty odd would settle a lot of nerves...but they probably don't want to lose too many early.

Jadeja at other end. No surprise. And yes , Head will be looking to score judging by that first shot...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:29 pm

Think India are wasting reviews again...over excited . Blame Kohli for that...just didn't look to be any bat in that.

Ashwin looking fairly menacing though. Might stay tense for a while. But unless India grab a couple more quick ones this will get easier for Australia in time...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:46 pm

India not happy with the ball...but in truth I think they're already feeling a bit desperate , as although it's been tight cricket so far only the one wicket has fallen...

And as Head launches the replacement ball for six I'd say the back of this chase has been broken already. Only fifty more needed thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:52 pm

Yeah that's settled it...two overs , twenty runs...victory lap from here .

75 was never going to be enough for India to defend , but a couple more early wickets could have kept the tension going for a while. Head and Labuschagne have buried that idea with some good cricket thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:16 pm

As Australia coast home over the last few runs , I wonder how this result leaves the final Test in the series ? India can't lose the trophy ; but if they get pegged back to a 2-2 draw the myth of their home invincibility will be rather dented if not completely busted. Going to be some robust discussions around selections , I think !

Who would have expected Australia to bounce back so convincingly from that dispiriting loss in Delhi ? Guess it proves what I've always thought : "momentum" is massively overrated .

Which I suppose means India are quite likely to rebound themselves and win the last one Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:19 pm

Anyway , nine wicket win for Australia clapclapclap

Head 49 no ...underlining the folly of dropping him for the first Test ! Marnus 28 no and less dependant on fortune today...

Tribute to the tourist's resilience thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:11 pm

What's the betting India will now prepare a complete road of a pitch for the final Test to ensure they don't lose?

Usually support any team that is playing against Australia but I was really rooting for the Aussies in this one.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:10 am

Well done to Australia. The pitch was terrible, turned the game almost into a lottery, and I'd be furious if I were an Indian player as it allowed Australia a chance.

Full credit to Labuschagne and Head who steered it through a tough period and, indeed, all the way. I think Australia's place in the WTC final is now confirmed.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:07 am

Congratulations Aus......to fight back and keep the series alive....and blowing the cover of many holes that India has...that I have talked about oft.

What was looking like 4-0 could now be a 2-2 and even that would be fair
Can we miss the WTC final? ...Maybe and that would also help get rid of dead wood
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:59 am

India can only miss the final if they don't win the final game, and if Sri Lanka win 2-0 over NZ in NZ. Pretty unlikely occurrence for Sri Lanka!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:59 am

Busy week of test cricket. Tomorrow SA v WI in the second test, plus the 1st test of NZ v SL. And then on Thursday the fourth and final game between India and Australia.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:19 pm

SA win toss and bat on what is clearly a rather atypical Wanderers pitch - since they have selected two spinners in Harmer and Maharaj. Reckon they will want to score big as with Nortje injured and Jansen rested the pace attack looks a bit light.

Elgar and Markram will be hoping to repeat their First Test effort :Roach and Joseph doubtless have other ideas...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:53 pm

...and a very good start it is ...58/0 from 12 overs .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:29 pm

180/1 now and Markram into the nineties...

I know he has performed poorly against England and India ; but his record against Australia is even better than that against West Indies (though that may change if he keeps going here !) I have always felt he was a little better than his raw figures indicate and was surprised he lost his spot. Suspect he's won it back now thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:38 pm

Aah... jinxed him ! Attempted a silly little soft sweep and just popped it up for Blackwood to run around from slip and catch him for 96...

What a waste. 192/2.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:48 pm

alfie wrote:180/1 now and Markram into the nineties...

I know he has performed poorly against England and India ; but his record against Australia is even better than that against West Indies (though that may change if he keeps going here !) I have always felt he was a little better than his raw figures indicate and was surprised he lost his spot. Suspect he's won it back now thumbsup

I've always kept an eye out for Markram since being very impressed when seeing him open and hold Hants' innings together in a RL50 at the Oval a few years back. Surprised he hasn't progressed more in the meantime to properly establish himself at international level. He appears to have a solid defence and a range of shots - maybe, concentration or nerves letting him down too often, I don't know.

Although getting a good total today and achieving a successful start for SA, still mighty frustrating to be dismissed in the silly way he was and not get a ton, let alone a big one, having done the hard work and looking set.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:49 pm

244/2 at lunch, and this is the most dominant our batting team has looked for maybe half a decade. It's only the Windies, but the Windies did beat England last year, and drew against Pakistan, albeit at home. They've got, on paper a pretty promising front three pace attack, and Gabriel is big and burly, but for whatever reason, it often doesn't manifest on the field. Holder especially, has looked half off since he lost the armband.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:12 am

kingraf wrote:244/2 at lunch, and this is the most dominant our batting team has looked for maybe half a decade. It's only the Windies, but the Windies did beat England last year, and drew against Pakistan, albeit at home. They've got, on paper a pretty promising front three pace attack, and Gabriel is big and burly, but for whatever reason, it often doesn't manifest on the field. Holder especially, has looked half off since he lost the armband.

Hi Raf - yep, very much with you there.

Most of the Sky studio conversation at tea when I was watching revolved around Markram's dismissal and why he played the shot. Fair enough topic but it largely ignored what a strong position SA are already in.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:55 am

Rather a fold from South Africa between tea and the close, only progressing to 311-7. Pretty much everyone getting a start, but only Markham and de Zorzi following through with any real substance.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:09 am

dummy_half wrote:Rather a fold from South Africa between tea and the close, only progressing to 311-7. Pretty much everyone getting a start, but only Markham and de Zorzi following through with any real substance.

Yep, a considerable fold. Didn't see the last session but SA clearly slumped badly afer a promising start. A bit like Markram's innings.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:13 am

Similar thing happened to South Africa in the first test. They should have made 400+, but collapsed and let the West Indies back in. Interesting the home side have picked two spinners - the West Indies batting doesn't normally go on long enough to merit such a selection!

Don't know if anyone on here caught it, but there was a fantastic game in NZ's first-class competition that recently finished. The Central Districts needed 463 from 132 overs to beat the Northern Districts. At 74/4 from 40 overs it looked like game over. But an astonishing partnership between Hay and Bruce, both scoring 150s, of 270 from 75 overs transformed the game.

When Hay fell, test cricketer Doug Bracewell came to the crease and continued the attack with 50 from 31 balls. That took his side close to victory - they needed 49 off 45 balls at this point. But Bracewell played one shot too many and was caught. This led to a devastating collapse, with the number eight and number ten batsmen both out for ducks, while the number nine (Ajaz Patel) was run out in between.

The Central Districts then tried to survive 26 balls to get a draw, but, agonisingly, Bruce was trapped LBW by Santner with 10 balls remaining, and so they lost. An innings of 161, that lasted over six hours, that took his side so close.

I'm curious as to why Bruce hasn't been tried by New Zealand. He's nearly 32 so it probably won't happen now, but he has a strong FC career average of 48.5.

Speaking of future New Zealand selection, they're apparently very excited by 19-year-old Muhammad Abbas, who is viewed as a brilliant talent. Abbas is predominantly a batsman (so we can't confuse him with Mohammad Abbas, who is definitely not a batsman!), but can offer a swing-bowling option, also. He's played just two FC games in his career thus far, for Wellington, and has already amassed a 79 and a 130, the latter of which was the difference between a draw and a loss for his side.

Duty281

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:54 am

I actually applaud South Africa for their 90s England team tribute act. The tail starting at 4 does make me all misty eyed

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:08 am

NZ under pressure in the first test v Sri Lanka. Kiwis elected to bowl first on a green surface under overcast skies. Southee and Henry had the ball doing plenty, but, quite remarkably, they only picked up one wicket between them. Lots of edges falling safe.

Since then it's been better for batting, plus Ticker and Wagner have bowled dreadfully as the change bowlers. Right from the off, Southee had Wagner bowling short, leg-side stuff to a 'creative field' - is that really the way on the opening morning of a test? Evidently not as Wagner is 0/30 from three overs!

Kusal Mendis has counter attacked for 73 off 51, he likes the Wagner plan, and SL are 120/1 at lunch. They've also run really well between the wickets, not a trait I generally associate with Sri Lanka.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:11 pm

Bit of a fightback from NZ in the rain-affected second session, with Southee and Henry picking up the two set batsmen early on, but when they went off the runs started flowing again. Mendis and Chandimal have rebuilt the innings solidly to 209/3 at tea, from just 50 overs.

Henry has bowled superbly, with a masterful line, but often he's been too good for the Sri Lankan batsmen and has beaten the edge rather than taking it. Tickner, though, is genuinely one of the worst bowlers I've seen at test level, and he's sent down 10 overs to concede 67, which is a fair reflection of his ineptitude. NZ have also already burned all their reviews.

Sri Lanka doing nicely, but it must be kept in mind that they have virtually zero batting from 8 downwards. Every single player from 8-11 has a test batting average of between 3 and 4 (!), which will bring back fond memories for VTR of when England bravely took on New Zealand with a similar tail.

Duty281

guildfordbat and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:50 pm

Bad light endeth the day at 75 overs, with Sri Lanka 305/6, a position they would have eagerly accepted after being put in. All of the top six making contributions, and the number eight batsman has put a few boundaries to the fence to belie his average.

A tale of two different types of seamer for the home side. Spot the difference: Southee and Henry 5/109 (14 maidens); Tickner and Wagner 0/156 (3 maidens). It may be kinder to bat on days two and three if recent history is anything to go by, but if Sri Lanka can push beyond 350 that puts a deal of scoreboard pressure on the Kiwis.

Aussies 74/2 v India in the other test. An OK start on what is expected to be a better batting wicket.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:38 pm

Where was this version of Wagner last week! Actually a decent performance from Sri Lanka then, though that tail does sound interesting and my boys from 99 are getting a bit twitchy that it might actually be worse than them

VTR

guildfordbat and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:04 pm

Can't watch any of these as staying in an excellent but very out in the country place for a few days for a music festival...in the pub tonight so internet on and see Australia doing rather well and Sri Lanka off to a great start. At what point do India start to get rattled ?
Don't really expect Sri Lanka 2-0 but.......

alfie

Duty281 and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:06 pm

VTR wrote:I actually applaud South Africa for their 90s England team tribute act. The tail starting at 4 does make me all misty eyed
That's unduly harsh - Graham Thorpe usually came in at 4 ot 5. Tail started after him

dummy_half

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:44 pm

Very bohemian, Alfie!

Aussies close at 255/4 on a good batting wicket, albeit fairly slow. Khawaja with an unbeaten ton. India could be in trouble if the pitch deteriorates.

West Indies, meanwhile, are fading fast v South Africa.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:12 am

The pitch here is like the ones rolled out to Eng in the 2016 series.
Eng did get a near 500 and 400 in their first innings almost all the time and yet lost the series 3-0

These are the classic Indian pitches which offer hard working support to spinners and reverse / skiddy movement to Seamers.
And the Pitch plays well enough for about 3 and a half days...and then crumbles....but you need a Jadeja type to exploit the crumble.

So while Aus has done well....India are in the game even if Aus gets to 400 ish by batting BIG one time.
And on a pitch like this the Indians are capable of doing so.
The superiority of Indian spin and seam attack will stand out...unlike the last test at Indore where the pitch propped up the mediocre spinners to also look like unplayable ones...giving the game a lottery-ish feel.

Two extreme scenarios I see here

(I) Best Case for India
Aus get 350 and India score 550 and then win nearly by an inning

(II) Worst Case for India

Aus gets 450 and India gets about 350 and then Aus bat to a "safe lead" eating up the time needed for a win

Scenario-I is 70% probability
Scenario-II is 30% probability

Axar not being able to find his rhythm is now India's biggest problem.
This team management is too template driven to bring kuldeep in the midst of a series....but Kuldeep it will be for the next series.

2 skiddy reversing seamers are probably OK for this pitch reducing Axar to a batsman who can bowl a bit which is also OK
and that the 2 seamers can tonk 20 odd runs of 8 balls as Nos 10 and 11 is also OK

The game will get into the 5th day it appears
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:09 am

A good reargaurd led by Holder kept Windies just about in the game, taking them from 116-6 to 251 alll out, including a 50 stand for the last wicket. Trail by 73 at the close, with SA just having started their innings. Still 3 days to go in this battle of teams who are decidedly better bowling than batting units at present.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:23 am

Ah, the tail of 99 is safe. Despite them all coming into this with test averages worse than Phil Tufnell, every single player from 8-11 managed to get double figures. Sound achievement. Means everyone got into double figures for the innings with the exception of Dickwella.

355ao. Advantage Sri Lanka. Southee ending up with five, Henry four, and best not to mention the other two seamers!

Duty281

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:42 pm

NZ's openers established a solid base at 67/0 from 28 overs, but Sri Lanka stuck to their task and took two wickets in the final four overs before tea - including that of Williamson, who was dispatched by a clever plan.

70/2. Really good test which is in the balance, but Sri Lanka are one big session away from having a firm grip on it.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:44 pm

A good last session from Sri Lanka and they've got NZ on the ropes at 162/5, still trailing by 193.

Absolute pleasure to watch the trio of Kumara, Fernando and Rajitha bowl. They got the ball moving both ways all day, consistently put it in the right areas, kept it tight, and got rewards. Rajitha, arguably, was under-rewarded for a sublime spell which didn't yield anything. He had to wait until nearly the close for an eventual wicket.

And Fernando bowled an absolute scorcher of a yorker to clean up Latham's stumps, at a time when NZ were just starting to take control in the innings. Well worth checking out. Plus it was the first ball of a new spell.

Sri Lanka one away from the tail and they'll be targeting a three-digit lead to head into the third innings with. Keeping their slender WTC final hopes alive. A hope boosted by the present belligerence of Khawaja and Green.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:48 pm

India are being put under some pressure by Australia. Green very close to his maiden century and Usman cruising along.

I wonder if a declaration will appear at some stage giving the Aussie bowlers 30 to 45 mins against the Indian batsmen tonight...

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:35 pm

Usman got denied his biggest chance for a double ton by a declaration (which left him on 195) now his second biggest chance is on but will he be denied this time by the tail getting turned over cheaply?

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:37 pm

eirebilly_01 wrote:Usman got denied his biggest chance for a double ton by a declaration (which left him on 195) now his second biggest chance is on but will he be denied this time by the tail getting turned over cheaply?

Must be annoying for him, having got himself out, that the tail is showing a bit of fight.

Galted
Galted
Galted

eirebilly_01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:14 pm

Galted wrote:
eirebilly_01 wrote:Usman got denied his biggest chance for a double ton by a declaration (which left him on 195) now his second biggest chance is on but will he be denied this time by the tail getting turned over cheaply?

Must be annoying for him, having got himself out, that the tail is showing a bit of fight.
Hi Galted - agreed but annoying for the Indians too. Very effective and annoying ninth wicket partnership between Lyon and Murphy. Assuming Australia are not all out, I would look to declare today and give India about half a dozen overs before the close.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:29 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Galted wrote:

Hi Galted - agreed but annoying for the Indians too. Very effective and annoying ninth wicket partnership between Lyon and Murphy. Assuming Australia are not all out, I would look to declare today and give India about half a dozen overs before the close.

Hi Guildford

Guess we won't know now, that happened all of a sudden.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:48 pm

If India do not lose a wicket in the remaining overs, they will feel a bit better but this is a mountain to climb for them. This has draw written all over it.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:05 pm

Safely navigated to close of play by Rohit and Gill - pivotal day in the series tomorrow then! Have to admit I haven't watched a lot...but the fact Lyon and Murphy can put on a partnership like that suggests to me it's a bit of a batsmen's paradise...?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:55 pm

If ever there was a time for Bavuma to score only his second ton in test cricket, its in this test against the West Indies.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:21 am

eirebilly_01 wrote:If ever there was a time for Bavuma to score only his second ton in test cricket, its in this test against the West Indies.
It's a definite stop what you are doing moment. The wonderful young talent (who is now probably almost 35) could be about to realise his potential

VTR

eirebilly_01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:34 am

In fairness, he has done a very good job this innings. I have never really rated Bavuma myself but he is not the worst specialist test batsman out there.

He gets his 100 so well done to him.

South Africa should have enough in the bank already if there is collapse and they are bowled out. The pitch looks to be deteriorating so will be tough for the West Indies to chase anything over 250.

eirebilly_01

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:48 am

Yes, a very good innings this one. But very lucky to have had the chance, a lot of countries would have dropped him and moved on years ago. Prior to this averaging 35, with one hundred in over 50 Tests, not really great numbers

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next