The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+14
eirebilly_01
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Soul Requiem
Galted
VTR
sirfredperry
Duty281
guildfordbat
KP_fan
kingraf
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pal Joey
alfie
18 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 17 Empty Rest of the World

Post by alfie Sun 18 Dec 2022, 6:45 am

First topic message reminder :

Blimey...just flicked back to see Australia making a meal of chasing 34 to win. Warner another fail (is that a strong hint that his time is all but done ?)

But also Smith Khawaja and Head gone...29/4 and extras has made 14 of them !

Only need five more so no problem...but SA might wonder what might have been if they'd been able to produce a bit more resistance in that awful second innings.

Supports kingraf's pitch assessment , I guess Smile

alfie

Galted likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 17 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Apr 2023, 12:17 am

Test cricket resumes in a few hours. Bangladesh are hosting Ireland for one test. It will be Ireland's first test in nearly four years, and it kicks off a three test leg in the subcontinent for them, with two more to follow in Sri Lanka shortly.

Bangladesh are pretty close to full strength, whilst Ireland are fielding a hugely inexperienced team - apparently some of their squad have never even played first-class cricket before, let alone a test.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 04 Apr 2023, 1:00 pm

Decent start with the ball for Ireland ; Bangladesh close on 34/2 after Ireland managed 214.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Apr 2023, 4:20 pm

Wasn't a bad effort from Ireland. Frustrating thing for them is multiple batsmen got starts, but none of them kicked on to a big score which could have lifted the team to 300. Those two wickets giving Ireland a chance; a strong first hour tomorrow might get them ahead.

USA have qualified for the, er, qualifier, after beating Jersey today, with bowler Ali Khan taking 7/32. Jersey, always sizable outsiders, nearly completed a thrilling comeback to topple the Americans. Jersey were 17/5 in pursuit of 232, but only fell 25 runs short in the end, giving their opponents a small fright. Jersey's top scorer was 19-year-old Asa Tribe, backing up a century he got v PNG a few days with 75 today.

Jersey have given a very credible account of themselves in this competition, through beating PNG and coming up just short v Canada and the USA. One more game left against the UAE tomorrow for them. The USA have finished up with four wins from five, just the Canada upset preventing them having a 100% record.

Just the one qualifier place left. If the UAE beat Jersey tomorrow, which they really should, then they'll get it. If the UAE lose then it will almost certainly be Namibia (who defeated Canada comfortably) advancing to the next stage (unless Canada beat PNG by a big margin; unlikely).

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 05 Apr 2023, 7:33 am

I think UAE are actually confirmed as they have the head-to-head (which is the first tie breaker) over both Namibia and Canada , no ?

Meanwhile , not so good for Ireland today. An early wicket ; but Shakib and Mushfiqur have taken over since and at 170/3 Bangladesh are looking well set.

NZ made up for losing the first t20 against Sri Lanka with a thumping win in the second game ! Nine wickets and 5 overs to spare...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 05 Apr 2023, 12:11 pm

Going even worse for Ireland as they've slumped to 13/4 in the second innings, a possible innings defeat. Those two tests v Sri Lanka looking quite ominous.

If H2H is the first tie-breaker, then yes the UAE are through anyway. Looks like they'll beat Jersey comfortably anyway.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 05 Apr 2023, 4:55 pm

Pretty much as expected for Ireland, have had some decent performances but lacking the overall quality to really put the opposition under pressure. 

They really need to play a lot more Tests to have any hope of closing the gap, but I don't see that happening and was wondering how, financially, these matches they are playing are even remotely viable

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 05 Apr 2023, 6:56 pm

UAE and Canada both sign off with wins. A really good showing from Canada, overall.

So it's Zimbabwe, Netherlands, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Nepal, Oman, Scotland, USA, UAE and (95% chance) Ireland in the qualifier, taking place in June and July.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 06 Apr 2023, 11:47 am

Brave fightback from Ireland today : from 51/5 they've gat a lead of over 100 now - although the eighth wicket has just fallen. 265/8 after Tucker's hundred = and McBrine (who is having some match ) on 60...

Lead of 110 so unlikely to become enough ; but you have to applaud their efforts to keep the game alive thumbsup

alfie

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Apr 2023, 12:44 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/65197051

Kane Williamson to miss the World Cup, it seems. Goes without saying what a loss that is for New Zealand.

And, yes, a fantastic effort from Ireland to get back into it. They did something similar in a previous test v Pakistan - Ireland were made to follow-on, but they briefly threatened victory after setting Pakistan a three-figure target, and taking three early wickets. If they can add another 50 tomorrow...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 07 Apr 2023, 8:19 pm

Well no magic comeback from Ireland. Bangladesh chased down the 138 fairly easily, but Ireland gave a competent showing.

Two tests v Sri Lanka soon, that's another level up again.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 16 Apr 2023, 11:30 am

Well I worried about Ireland v Sri Lanka, perhaps we all worried, and it looks as though worry was justified.

Sri Lanka are 311/1. And they've only batted 68 overs so far.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 16 Apr 2023, 12:54 pm

I see the comeback is on: 381-4 after 86.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 17 Apr 2023, 12:21 pm

Sri Lanka called off the punishment at 591/6. A mercy declaration, as with the little time they've batted they could have pushed on for 700 and still had a session in Day Two to spare.

Ireland's reply started OK (74/2), but Jayasuriya has left them reeling at 94/6, so should be an innings defeat and a few hundred runs.

It's good that Ireland are playing more tests, but I don't see a lot of good for them taking on Sri Lanka in their own backyard where it's a huge mismatch.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Tue 18 Apr 2023, 10:14 am

Sri Lanka have just been ruthless and Ireland still lacking the quality but its great to see the lads playing test match cricket thumbsup

eirebilly_01

guildfordbat and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 18 Apr 2023, 11:41 am

Really tough for such an inexperienced team having to face one of the biggest challenges in Test cricket - taking on Sri Lanka in Galle.

For those keen on stats: Kurunaratne's Test average had been stuck on 39 for the last 12 Tests (may be a record of its own). But his 179 has finally pushed it past 40.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 24 Apr 2023, 10:59 am

Ireland making a much better fist of the second test - currently 207/3 batting first, although Stirling has just retired hurt with cramp.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 24 Apr 2023, 1:38 pm

Ireland closing on 319/4, with half-centuries for Balbirnie, Tucker and Stirling, the first of those falling on 95 which is cruel.

Hopefully Ireland can push it to 450+ tomorrow and the bowlers back it up.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 24 Apr 2023, 1:40 pm

Amidst a lot of masala T20s, the IRE-SL test seem to be developing into something interesting
Ire showed some spine in BD, but crumbled completely in T1 against Lanka

Now they have put 319/4 on D1...unexpected and set some foundation stones on which an upset might be built

I have not seen and CI says pitch has slow turn
Hope Ire can bat two more sessions and the wicket deteriorates....and there is a "match"

It's always a joy to see an underdog stand-up and compete
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 24 Apr 2023, 1:59 pm

Yes very good day for Ireland...319/4 gives them quite a sound platform !

Presume this is a bit of a road though so wonder what Sri Lanka might score on it...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 25 Apr 2023, 12:00 pm

Ireland finished up with 492 - centuries for Campher and Stirling - but Sri Lanka's reply has rocketed to 80/0 after just 18 overs. Barring an Irish revival with the ball, it seems as though Ireland will be batting to save this one on days four/five.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Tue 25 Apr 2023, 12:18 pm

Paul Stirling now has centuries in all 3 formats. That is pretty impressive thumbsup

eirebilly_01

guildfordbat, king_carlos and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 26 Apr 2023, 10:01 am

Duty281 wrote:Ireland finished up with 492 - centuries for Campher and Stirling - but Sri Lanka's reply has rocketed to 80/0 after just 18 overs. Barring an Irish revival with the ball, it seems as though Ireland will be batting to save this one on days four/five.

I thought Duty was being prematurely pessimistic yesterday when he gave this assessment of Ireland's chances. However, with Sri Lanka at 342/1 and 44 overs left in the day when I last looked it seems like he may have been on the money.

Anyway, congratulations whatever unfolds to Stirling and Campher for their centuries. As Billy flags, tremendous for Stirling to bring up tons in all 3 international formats.

I was also pleased for Balbirnie making runs but disappointed he couldn't quite convert into 3 figures. I've liked him for some time. An intelligent and unselfish cricketer who always bats for the team rather than himself.

guildfordbat

eirebilly_01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 27 Apr 2023, 9:33 am

With Sri Lanka now on 557/2 half way through day four I think we can say an Irish win is out of the question Smile

However you'd have to reckon this must be the mother of all dead tracks so the draw ought to be a massive favourite. Would take some serious change in conditions , surely , to see a team bowled out on the last day ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 27 Apr 2023, 10:30 am

alfie wrote:However you'd have to reckon this must be the mother of all dead tracks so the draw ought to be a massive favourite. Would take some serious change in conditions , surely , to see a team bowled out on the last day ?
Didn't they say that at Adelaide a few years ago  Shocked

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 27 Apr 2023, 10:43 am

VTR wrote:
alfie wrote:However you'd have to reckon this must be the mother of all dead tracks so the draw ought to be a massive favourite. Would take some serious change in conditions , surely , to see a team bowled out on the last day ?
Didn't they say that at Adelaide a few years ago  Shocked

Very Happy

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 27 Apr 2023, 10:49 am

A challenge for Ireland's character and fitness as much as their batting coming up soon imo.

Scoring almost 500 first dig and now being in second place by some way plus spending around 2 days in the heat of the field must be both deflating and knackering.

I'll stick back them to get the draw - they're scrappers which I and many like - but don't expect it to be straightforward.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 27 Apr 2023, 11:08 am

I think Ireland are done for, unless rain/bad light (and there's been a fair bit of that so far) saves them.

About 22 overs for Ireland to see out tonight, with the bat surrounded and scoreboard pressure.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 27 Apr 2023, 11:53 am

I reckoned that if Ireland, with an inexperienced side, could get nearly 500 then SL would get at least 600.

Between Test 100s, Mathews has managed the three lowest-possible scores. Mind you, a lot of club cricketers would be happy with scores of 0, 1 and 2 if they could be bookended by centuries.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 27 Apr 2023, 11:57 am

Yeah, this is going to be tough for Ireland to survive. Sri Lanka all over them in the first four overs, now they've got the first wicket.

Two down at stumps, still trailing by 158. Presuming a full day tomorrow, Ireland will need to bat out 80 overs minimum to get their first draw in tests.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 28 Apr 2023, 1:12 am

Duty281 wrote:Yeah, this is going to be tough for Ireland to survive. Sri Lanka all over them in the first four overs, now they've got the first wicket.

Two down at stumps
, still trailing by 158. Presuming a full day tomorrow, Ireland will need to bat out 80 overs minimum to get their first draw in tests.

That second wicket before stumps is a significant body blow and puts Ireland on the ropes if they weren't there already.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 28 Apr 2023, 1:43 am

OK , Ireland will need to bat well , being two down and presumably having to bat more than two sessions to be safe. But perhaps worth noting that those two openers were knocked over for peanuts in the first innings and it didn't stop the team getting nearly 500.

I think unless the pitch has really changed they have a good chance of batting this out. I guess their main danger is the pressure of having to stay in , rather than just batting ; so it will come down to mental strength more than skill.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 28 Apr 2023, 10:05 am

And alas , it seems the Irish bats couldn't handle the second innings pressure : apart from Tector and Balburnie they just haven't turned up today. Eight down and still requiring ten runs to make Sri Lanka bat again so just a matter of time...

Hope Tector gets his hundred at least  : 85 no and resisting still with Humphreys who is blocking away grimly.

Aah ... scratch that : two balls and it is all over ! Well done Sri Lanka but disappointing for Ireland , all out 202.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 28 Apr 2023, 10:38 am

Tough defeat for Ireland to take, but hopefully a learning curve. They've got a test against England in June, more familiar conditions, then they visit Zimbabwe for one test in November, perhaps a winnable one, followed up with one test away to Afghanistan in January - by the end of all this Ireland will have played nine tests, but only one of them would have been at home.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 28 Apr 2023, 3:26 pm

So near & yet so far for Ire...they deserved a draw out of this endeavor
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 08 May 2023, 1:39 pm

The final ODI series of the one and only edition of the ODI Super League begins tomorrow, between Ireland and Bangladesh in Essex. Ireland need a 3-0 series win and a fairly significant boost to their NRR to overtake South Africa and qualify directly for the World Cup; anything less and they'll be in the Qualifier.

A tall order, but Bangladesh aren't too familiar with these conditions and Ireland will know they have a far better chance here than they did in the subcontinent. However, Bangladesh, despite having nothing much to play for, are going in with a full-strength squad, and there's plenty of rain forecast for tomorrow's game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 08 May 2023, 3:48 pm

Duty281 wrote:The final ODI series of the one and only edition of the ODI Super League begins tomorrow, between Ireland and Bangladesh in Essex. Ireland need a 3-0 series win and a fairly significant boost to their NRR to overtake South Africa and qualify directly for the World Cup; anything less and they'll be in the Qualifier.

A tall order, but Bangladesh aren't too familiar with these conditions and Ireland will know they have a far better chance here than they did in the subcontinent. However, Bangladesh, despite having nothing much to play for, are going in with a full-strength squad, and there's plenty of rain forecast for tomorrow's game.

Rolling Eyes I believe Ireland opted to play these games in Chelmsford as they understood the weather would be better than on home soil.

I just about get why they did but still feel sorry for their supporters unable to attend any of the games.

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 09 May 2023, 5:39 pm

It doesn't look like it's going to be for Ireland, with the rain and thunder engulfing Chelmsford. Ireland were unlikely to win in any case - they were 65/3 in pursuit of Bangladesh's 246/9, currently 3.3 overs short of a DLS result, but it's quite an irony that they've been denied by the rain they've tried to avoid.

Yep, game abandoned. So South Africa are safely through to the World Cup.

The qualifier, starting in mid-June in Zimbabwe and running for three weeks, will comprise the Netherlands, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland, Nepal, Oman, Scotland, UAE and the USA. Two will qualify for the World Cup. Sri Lanka and the West Indies the obvious frontrunners, but I don't think Zimbabwe and Ireland are too far behind. Anyone outside of those four teams would be a bit of a surprise.

There will be no DRS for the event. In the qualifier for the 2019 World Cup there was also no DRS, and Scotland were absolutely mugged by an awful decision which cost them a World Cup place, so it's disappointing that it's the same state of affairs.

Duty281

Galted likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Wed 10 May 2023, 8:55 am

Gutted for Ireland but it was always a battle that they were not going to win.

In the qualifying tournament, i would say Sri Lanka would be the most likely to advance without any issues. I would not say that for the West Indies, i think they have fallen away in the 50 over game myself. Zimbabwe or Ireland still have a chance and i would not write off Scotland or the Netherlands to be honest.

Should be entertaining.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 13 May 2023, 4:07 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/may/13/tense-pakistan-and-india-standoff-poses-threat-to-cricket-world-cup-fixtures

Confusion still reigns over the ODI World Cup. It's meant to start in just under five months, but the fixtures still haven't been released. It might be related to this Pakistan/India impasse which is still nowhere near being resolved.

Pakistan are hosting the Asia Cup in September. India are insisting they play their games in the Asia Cup outside Pakistan. So Pakistan are threatening to refuse to play their World Cup games in India. Round and round it goes.

Apparently the PCB have now come up with an idea where India can play their Asia Cup games in the UAE, but Pakistan may insist upon a similar arrangement for the World Cup where they play their World Cup games outside India, as the PCB chairman says that 'everything should be on a reciprocal basis'.  I can't see the ICC accepting that, or India themselves being too keen on such an idea. And what would happen under this arrangement if, say, Pakistan got to the World Cup final? It would be absurd to play it outside of India.

I just hope it gets sorted. I certainly don't want to see the World Cup without Pakistan, but equally I don't want to see a situation where Pakistan play their games outside of the host nation. If only India could be reasonable and play the Asia Cup in Pakistan. Another thing to consider is the Champions Trophy is relaunching in 2025 and that is being hosted by Pakistan - will India participate?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 15 May 2023, 5:18 am

So Ireland lose the ODI series 2-0. In fairness, they had a chance in both completed games to win them. Especially the first completed game.
They are getting better but still some ways behind but will push to make it to the world cup.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 23 May 2023, 5:23 pm

The two groups have been drawn for the World Cup Qualifier, which starts on the 18th June.

Group A: Zimbabwe, West Indies, Netherlands, Nepal, USA.
Group B: Sri Lanka, Ireland, Scotland, Oman, UAE.

Same format as last time - each team plays their group opponents once. The top three in each group qualify for the Super Six stage*. Points will be carried through to the Super Six stage in games between the top three. Teams in the Super Six will then play against the three teams who qualified from the opposite group. At the end of all this, the top two teams in the Super Six will qualify for the World Cup (and subsequently play a meaningless final against each other).

*The bottom two teams in each group get to fight for 9th and 7th place in a play-off system, when I'm sure they'd rather be off home.

The ICC have decided upon an interesting DRS measure, in that DRS will now be used for the Super Six stage, but not the initial group phase.

I'd think Zimbabwe, West Indies and the Netherlands would all be confident of making the Super Six from Group A. Would be a bit of a surprise if Nepal or the USA got in. Group B should be tighter, as while Sri Lanka and Ireland are clear front runners, the third spot will be close as there isn't much between Scotland, Oman and the UAE.

Duty281

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 25 May 2023, 1:10 pm

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ackermann-klaassen-van-meekeren-van-der-merwe-absent-from-netherlands-squad-for-world-cup-qualifier-1377976

It may not actually be so simple for the Netherlands to make the Super Six, as they're missing at least four key players due to county cricket commitments.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 25 May 2023, 6:22 pm

Duty281 wrote:https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ackermann-klaassen-van-meekeren-van-der-merwe-absent-from-netherlands-squad-for-world-cup-qualifier-1377976

It may not actually be so simple for the Netherlands to make the Super Six, as they're missing at least four key players due to county cricket commitments.
Scotland are missing their best two seamers in Davey and Wheal as well.

They should be well set for a CWC in India with all their players. Zimbabwean conditions are often more similar to sub-continent than SA for instance. Watt and Tahir are really good spinners that I just wish they'd pick together. Yes, they're both SLA but completely different bowlers. Whilst players such as McLeod and Munsey can be really destructive against spin. Safyaan Sharif is a good bowler but already a step down on Davey and Wheal. Ali Evans has been a really good role player for Scotland when the CC guys aren't available but is better in T20 generally. Adriann Neill I don't think has enough to step up to this level if being brutally honest.

When talk of Archer being on a year round MI deal or Roy going to MLC is spoken of with such concern by some England fans it's things like this that make me think, "this isn't new, it's just new for us!"

king_carlos

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 03 Jun 2023, 10:58 am

I was just settling down to watch the A-League final and checking the SMH breaking news and saw this.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/warner-to-retire-from-test-cricket-this-summer-20230603-p5ddp4.html

So, he's announced his retirement at some stage in the near future... depending on his performances in the coming weeks. Of course there's a chance he could be pushed out earlier if his horror run in England continues. So hold the champagne VTR! Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 04 Jun 2023, 12:55 pm

Warner is to England fans what Crawley must be to Australia fans, we want him as the first name on the teamsheet

VTR

Pal Joey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 04 Jun 2023, 1:22 pm

Yeah VTR, I see Crawley made some hay against Ireland... Pope and Duckett too. It will be interesting to see how they perform against Australia.
They are no doubt feeling quite confident. Let's hope they come out swinging as per the General McCullum Plan.  Wink

Warner is now at odds with Allan Border regarding their Ashes preparation. I can see both sides of the argument - things are very different from 30 years ago when they played 8 warm up matches and a few ODIs before the 1st Test.

I'm hoping the WTC match v India is a sufficient warm up for us and the team has settled into their posh digs... and there are no dramas between now and the 16th.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/waste-of-time-border-grumpy-but-australians-comfortable-with-no-warm-up-matches-20230603-p5ddnx.html

Note one of the comments: (not me)

'To be fair to Warner, not much warm up is required to nick Stuart Broad to 2nd slip in the 3rd over.' OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

alfie and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 04 Jun 2023, 2:42 pm

It seems a bit of a cowardly retirement for Warner 'I'm going soon, guys, so don't drop me, let me just enjoy these last few months'.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Warner delivered a few good scores against England this summer. Pressure is effectively off him, and with him making peace with the end of his career that might ease the pressure still further. Besides which, he only needs to average around 30 for the series, maybe not even that, and he'll be winning his individual match-up over Crawley.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 12 Jun 2023, 10:51 am

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/india-vs-pakistan-set-for-october-15-in-draft-schedule-of-2023-odi-world-cup-1380961

A draft schedule has been released for the World Cup, with the tournament less than four months away, and is expected to be finalised next week. Fans will then be able to buy tickets...

The tournament opener is not going to involve the hosts, interestingly enough, but will instead be between the finalists of 2019: England and New Zealand. England's full schedule is not listed, however parts of it can be pieced together. New Zealand is the first game of nine, India will be the sixth game, Australia the eighth game, and Pakistan the ninth and final game. Seems like a decent schedule for England because, with India, Australia and Pakistan the three toughest opponents in the league phase, England will have time to grow into the tournament and acclimatise before tackling those games. Hopefully qualification for the semi-finals is sorted before England play Australia, although England did leave it to the last game in 2019 and it didn't do them any harm!

The final World Cup Qualifier event starts on Sunday, and teams involved are getting through some warm-up ODIs this week.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 13 Jun 2023, 6:05 pm

Some warm-up games ahead of the World Cup Qualifier were played today.

Scotland falling 90-odd runs short against the West Indies. Zimbabwe putting up 367 v Oman, with Oman only just falling short. Sri Lanka beat the Dutch, but only by 3 wickets in a low-scorer. And the USA scored 312 against Ireland, but the Irish chased it down fairly comfortably.

There's also a very low-profile test match starting tomorrow - a one-off test between Bangladesh and Afghanistan, in Bangladesh. It's Afghanistan's first test in two years, but they're resting players including star spinner Rashid Khan. Bangladesh, too, are weakened with Shakib and Tamim Iqbal both sidelined with injury. Lots of rain forecast over the five days, so the weather might be the winner. It does seem a strange time to host a test in Bangladesh.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 14 Jun 2023, 10:20 am

Michael Bracewell ruled out of the ODI World Cup with a ruptured Achilles, joining Kane Williamson on the absentee list for NZ.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next