The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Test Championship Final 2023 (7th June - 11th June)

+9
JDizzle
Pal Joey
eirebilly_01
msp83
guildfordbat
king_carlos
KP_fan
alfie
Duty281
13 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

World Test Championship Final 2023 (7th June - 11th June) - Page 5 Empty World Test Championship Final 2023 (7th June - 11th June)

Post by Duty281 Sun 04 Jun 2023, 3:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

The second edition of the World Test Championship concludes with the final between Australia and India, starting on Wednesday at 10:30 BST (that's half an hour earlier than tests in England usually start, so be aware!).

Australia narrowly missed out on reaching the first final, but for this cycle they comfortably topped the table with 11 wins in their 19 tests. This included a 4-0 hammering of England at home and also a narrow win in Pakistan, although they did lose to India in India by a margin of 2-1. India edged out South Africa to 2nd place to reach their second consecutive final, and they'll be hoping to go one better than 2021 where they were defeated by New Zealand in the final.

The two squads are as follows:

Australia: Pat Cummins (captain), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Josh Inglis, Todd Murphy, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner.

Reserves: Mitch Marsh, Matt Renshaw

India: Rohit Sharma (captain), Ravichandran Ashwin, KS Bharat, Shubman Gill, Ravindra Jadeja, Virat Kohli, Ishan Kishan, Cheteshwar Pujara, Axar Patel, Ajinkya Rahane, Mohammad Shami, Mohammad Siraj, Shardul Thakur, Jaydev Unadakt, Umesh Yadav.

Reserves: Yashasvi Jaiswal, Mukesh Kumar, Suryakumar Yadav

Must be noted that Josh Hazlewood, who has hardly played any tests over the past few years, has been officially ruled out of the final, as he continues to battle troubling injuries. Boland will be the likely beneficiary.

Unlike the 2021 final, the weather forecast is for continuous sunshine and temperatures going into the high 20s. There is a reserve day in place, but it's not probable that this will be required.

I favour Australia to win this one. Their batting and seam bowling seems much the stronger, plus Australia are likely to find conditions more to their advantage than India.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

World Test Championship Final 2023 (7th June - 11th June) - Page 5 Empty Re: World Test Championship Final 2023 (7th June - 11th June)

Post by msp83 Fri 09 Jun 2023, 4:41 pm

Both Kamlesh Nagarkoti and Shivam Mavi seemed to take over for the gen next after that U-19 WC as they both had pace and batting abilities. Mavi has had his moments in limited overs and is putting in the yards at domestic level. NagarKoti never got his body to cooperate. So after this golden generation of quicks, India might go back to the bad old days of medium pacers with no real cutting edge.

msp83

Back to top Go down

World Test Championship Final 2023 (7th June - 11th June) - Page 5 Empty Re: World Test Championship Final 2023 (7th June - 11th June)

Post by guildfordbat Fri 09 Jun 2023, 4:44 pm

Duty281 wrote:Game going away from India now. Just didn't take enough wickets in that new ball burst, and now the middle order will savage the Indian bowling.

Smith, Labuschagne and Head all in form ahead of Edgbaston...

All agreed. 

As regards this game, looks like one of our favourite topics - When to declare - will be up for discussion and argument before too long.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 09 Jun 2023, 4:46 pm

alfie wrote:Jadeja into the attack. Might as well try him I guess as the pace men just aren't bothering these two now. Some of the lively aggression we saw from the bowlers before and after tea seems to have slipped away...

Bit early to say they're reduced to hopefully waiting for a mistake but the threat of a wicket that was apparent pre-Smith just isn't there any more.  Not sure how many overs will be bowled today but you'd think the lead is going to be over 300 by the close even if Head doesn't get a chance to have a hit tonight.

Declaration timing will no doubt keep the pundits and 606ers amused tomorrow morning Wink

Rats! Just seen you beat me to it, Alfie!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 09 Jun 2023, 4:52 pm

Don't see any issues with the declaration. They should declare midway through tomorrow afternoon, giving themselves four and a half sessions to bowl India out. Lead would be 450+ by then, all things being equal.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 09 Jun 2023, 5:00 pm

Goodness, what has Steve Smith done?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 09 Jun 2023, 5:03 pm

Very uncharacteristic for Smith ! Charge and up and under off Jadeja sees him rather throwing his hand away for just 34 . Walks off shaking head...86/3

Bit of renewed hope for India ? Except here comes Head...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 09 Jun 2023, 5:11 pm

Smith thought Australia have got enough, got bored and played a poor shot, and fell to Jadeja not for the first time! Jadeja would take that... Brings the H Man who would be looking for more carnage after that first innings effort. and Labuschagne who should have been run-out for nothing, is settling in for the long one.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 09 Jun 2023, 5:15 pm

Jadeja getting the ball to do a bit. Head not quite getting to terms with it as of now.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 09 Jun 2023, 5:23 pm

Jadeja continues to find life out of the track. Its a day 3 track only... If only they had Ashwin to bowl from the other end, and if only the batters could do a job...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 09 Jun 2023, 5:32 pm

Might not need a declaration at this rate...

Head was frustrated during that short stay, ends with another rash shot. Seeing some sharp turn and low bounce in this session.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 09 Jun 2023, 5:38 pm

Well one might say "heads gone" with two accurate meanings then...

Strange innings. Moeen must be licking his lips in anticipation Wink

112/4 so "only"285 ahead. Still pretty handy but not quite the dominance apparent at last night's close.

Never know ; they might not have to declare...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 09 Jun 2023, 5:59 pm

An entire session of the game has been lost in these first three days due to slow over-rates. Staggering.

Think Australia already have enough, but they'd like at least 100 more to feel completely secure. Lyon's got plenty to operate with, and we've seen more and more low bounce as the test has gone on. India have kept battling, credit for that, but they've always been a bit short of Australia's level in this test.

Won't happen, obviously, but I was thinking it was a shame we didn't have a triangular test tournament this summer, between India, Australia and England. Would be a nice change of pace from the usual bilateral series, plus the ratings would be good. Could end it with a final at Lord's.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 09 Jun 2023, 7:08 pm

India managing to win a few sessions at last in the test match. Seems too little too late, but at least its not yet a 90s like away thrashing that one grew up with... It could still end in a massive defeat. This generation of Indian batters are not in the Sehwag/Gambhir/Dravid/Sachin/Ganguly/VVS/MSD class when it comes to playing spin. Nathan Lyon has had huge success against this lineup, and there should be a lot in it by the time he gets that ball in his hands.
And in any case, Labuschagne hasn't gone anywhere and would want to bat all of tomorrow, Green, Carey and the lower order yet to be got through, and they should at the very least manage to add another 100 more which should be more than enough.
Rohit's captaincy not great again. At least Jadeja had an early bowl and he was less formulaic with bowling changes. But taking Jadeja off towards the end of the day to bring on of all people Umesh, was just daft! Yes Jadeja had a longish spell of sorts, but he can bowl through entire sessions without issues and he was bowling really well. Should have persisted with your best bowlers when Green was still green at the crease. Shami/Siraj from one end, Jadeja from the other. No time to bring on your weakling...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 09 Jun 2023, 7:33 pm

India bowled well and created one trajectory where Aus could be bowled out for less than 200
It was surprising that Rohit took Jadeja off when he was spinning the ball......going maiden and after maiden and 2 wickets to his name....probably because it was in his 9 to 5 office management script Rohit had it written to bring seamers at that point.

Hopefuyll someone will drill sense in him overnight and tomm...they will have the rare opportunity to use Jadeja one end both as a choke runs and pick wicket option.
And rotate seamers at the other.

So best case for India is bowl Aus out for 200ish
Worst case is 300ish

In any case the oldies are in the last ICC tournament final of their life will have to stand up and show fight whichever the case with the bat.
I only hope the end chase is a score where if Ind can bat all the overs @3.5RPO then the total is surmountable....which looks like 420ish in 4 and a half sessions
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 09 Jun 2023, 7:39 pm

I can't speak for everyone but on a purely personal basis I also can't remember anytime I've been in the office, doing my 9-5, responding to emails, then seen it was 3pm and suddenly thought, "ah, yes, time for the seamers".

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 09 Jun 2023, 7:59 pm

On the positive side for Aus...Ashes start next Friday.
They could be playing this game 3 more days....tough, real test match and will hit the ground running in T1, while Eng will be relatively cold.
Aus's bowling is looking good...if they iron out the no ball issue.

On the flip side Aus's limitations have been exposed in full public view  and their batting is a concern...
Head has been found out and against  clever team like Eng he will be  walking wicket. He knows no way to handle a bouncer and what a pity Ind let him get so many.
Khawaja & Warne's feet are not moving .....Manus is unduly subdued ....fighting to find free flowing form
Smith has batted like Smith does....Tail has looked rusty
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 10 Jun 2023, 4:42 am

I also couldn't understand why Jadeja was taken off - and for the generally unimpressive Yadav too. Very odd tactic.

India did rather well to keep Australia under some sort of control and restrict the ongoing lead to under 300 ; but they really needed a couple more wickets to have any real chance of keeping the eventual target below 350. Probably academic as you'd think there will be enough aid for the bowlers on the last two days to render any sort of chase next door to impossible. Still I imagine Cummins (not being Stokes) will want a lead of over 400 before declaring - so slowing the victory charge down might mean they only have to survive four and a bit sessions : still likely to be ample time for Australia to finish the job.

In truth India were just too far behind in the game after two days to have any realistic chance of getting back on terms. But at least this commendable third day effort has turned what was looking like a rather colourless walkover into a proper Test Match - the least we should expect from the WTC Final.

And as KP_fan says , having to work a bit might actually be better preparation for the Ashes so Australia may not be too displeased that India didn't just roll over tamely...

Good value for the paying fans too thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 10 Jun 2023, 7:16 am

I mean it is still a fair walkover - Aussies are 300 ahead with 6 second innings wickets in hand! Pitch is already doing a fair bit too.

Probably bat through till lunch tomorrow and declare I’d say - throw the bat in the final hour or so
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Sat 10 Jun 2023, 10:43 am

Well now, Yadav does for Marnus... India barely hanging in there but they are there...

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 10 Jun 2023, 11:07 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I mean it is still a fair walkover - Aussies are 300 ahead with 6 second innings wickets in hand! Pitch is already doing a fair bit too.

Probably bat through till lunch tomorrow and declare I’d say - throw the bat in the final hour or so
Agree, I think its going to be one of those where there appears to be some hope, until the run chase starts and they are 80-5

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 10 Jun 2023, 11:41 am

Attritoonal cricket
Aus not scoring nor losing wickets
Something will give soon
Barrage of runs
Or heaps of wickets soon
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 10 Jun 2023, 11:54 am

VTR wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I mean it is still a fair walkover - Aussies are 300 ahead with 6 second innings wickets in hand! Pitch is already doing a fair bit too.

Agree, I think its going to be one of those where there appears to be some hope, until the run chase starts and they are 80-5

Oh I don't doubt Australia will win - probably comfortably in the end. But it is surely better the possibility of an alternate ending is maintained for at least today and maybe even overnight. Whereas had Australia taken a 250 lead and doubled it last night (as had looked possible after two days) it really would have just been not if but when...which is a bit less interesting to watch.

Wonder how many Cummins will want before calling them in ? Not much sign of urgency yet today.

alfie

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Sat 10 Jun 2023, 11:59 am

Jadeja gets Green now. Still hope for India Very Happy

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 10 Jun 2023, 12:01 pm

It's been a very odd approach from Australia this morning. They haven't imposed themselves on the game, just sort of tried to stick around. Green, now, with a quite bizarre dismissal, even though he was given fair warning just a couple of balls ago.

Lead 340.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 10 Jun 2023, 12:04 pm

Had rohit kept Jadeja on for two more overs yesterday he might have plucked Green out then.

Aus will leave 4 sessions for Ind, the way things stand if they don't get bowled out earlier
That's 100 overs to survive or chase down whatever Aus has mustered until then
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 10 Jun 2023, 12:14 pm

The hype around Green exceeds his deliverances
Driven by Aus's aspiration to have a real all-rounder for once
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 10 Jun 2023, 12:19 pm

Jadeja getting the ball to do outrageous things from the rough. Srikar Bharat not being Wriddhi Saha, finding it tough out there...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 10 Jun 2023, 12:21 pm

KP_fan wrote:The hype around Green exceeds his deliverances
Green's not bad at all for an all-rounder. He's a proper seamer, and is a decent bat... He may not be exceptional yet in either department, but doing his job more or less. And the best thing is that his batting, bowling and fitness, all are improving... Perhaps we are yet to see his best...

msp83

guildfordbat, alfie and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 10 Jun 2023, 12:27 pm

Alex Carey yet again playing a fine hand. He did that in the first innings too. India having got Head, Smith and Green quickly, may have been able to restrict Australia to around 430, but Carey helped them add at least another 40. And here again, when Jadeja is doing his thing, the Australians could have been reminded of their experience in India... But Carey is playing an important hand to keep them going. And no silly reverse sweeps or anything... And unlike Green who struggled to get the ball off the pitch, he's keeping the board moving...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 10 Jun 2023, 12:32 pm

So lunch it is. Think Australia's session on balance. The lead is getting close to 400, and already, they should feel safe, think they've got enough on the board... Cummins would want another 60 70 more just to feel better, and to have a bit more rest for the bowlers...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 10 Jun 2023, 1:02 pm

Another useful knock from Alex Carey. He's no Adam Gilchrist, but he's a fine option to have at 300 or 350/5 with a softening ball and tired bowlers.

Aus should try and get 450 - quite quickly, first hour if they can - then declare. Think if India are going to pull off a borderline miracle chase then they'll need one of the openers to succeed with an aggressive approach, and for Pujara to provide the glue that holds everything together.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Jun 2023, 1:18 pm

msp83 wrote:Jadeja getting the ball to do outrageous things from the rough. Srikar Bharat not being Wriddhi Saha, finding it tough out there...

Whilst not having the neat glovework of, say, Foakes, Bharat does take control when it comes to reviews and imposes himself. As Sangakkara said of him earlier on Sky, ''The captain and the bowler listen.'' That's an important attribute for a keeper in modern Test cricket and one which Foakes unfortunately lacks.

guildfordbat

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 10 Jun 2023, 1:49 pm

Lead over 400 now but no move from the dressing room... looks like they want a few more yet. Starc seems to be upping the gears now.

Think they have enough to rule out an India chase . But I suppose with about 140 overs left in the game ( probably less unless the rate improves !) India might have some chance of stone walling for a draw ? Unlikely : but from an Australian viewpoint I'd like to see the declaration come fairly soon...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 10 Jun 2023, 1:58 pm

msp83 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:The hype around Green exceeds his deliverances
Green's not bad at all for an all-rounder. He's a proper seamer, and is a decent bat... He may not be exceptional yet in either department, but doing his job more or less. And the best thing is that his batting, bowling and fitness, all are improving... Perhaps we are yet to see his best...

Sure not bad
Not delivered to the hype and aspirations propagated.
Shardul also not bad (lesser as a batsman  and delivered more as a bowler compared to Geen)
But  Shardul carries no hype hence I don't point him out

Green's hyped  like he is another Flintoff, Kalis, Imran, Pollock
Hasn't delivered  in 20 tests anywhere at that level

Meanwhile on the Game
Ind giving too many runs in edges and byes
If Ind had a backstop on boundary behind WK
They would have saved 40 runs
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Jun 2023, 1:59 pm

alfie wrote:Lead over 400 now but no move from the dressing room... looks like they want a few more yet.  Starc seems to be upping the gears now.

Think they have enough to rule out an India chase . But I suppose with about 140 overs left in the game ( probably less unless the rate improves !) India might have some chance of stone walling for a draw ? Unlikely : but from an Australian viewpoint I'd like to see the declaration come fairly soon...

Not just the runs though, Alfie. Keep the Indian openers out there, wondering and waiting. Tire them them more physically and mentally. In the words of Gareth Batty in explaining why he delayed an expected declation, ''To p*ss them off.''

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:04 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
alfie wrote:Lead over 400 now but no move from the dressing room... looks like they want a few more yet.  Starc seems to be upping the gears now.

Not just the runs though, Alfie. Keep the Indian openers out there, wondering and waiting. Tire them them more physically and mentally. In the words of Gareth Batty in explaining why he delayed an expected declation, ''To p*ss them off.''

Ha ... True. And I guess with that reserve day up their sleeve Cummins doesn't have to worry about rain or bad light trimming his overs. Even so , they've batted a little longer than I'd have expected.

Starc gone but Cap'n Pat coming in so probably looking for the 450 lead ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:04 pm

That was a handy knock from my man Starc. Increasing Australia's command of the game.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:09 pm

269/7. Leading by 442.

A quick 28 from here to set a target of 470 and needing the highest innings score of the match in the 4th dig, eh Olly?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:12 pm

KP_fan wrote:Green's hyped  like he is another Flintoff, Kalis, Imran, Pollock

In Flintoff's first 21 tests (1998-2002) he only averaged 19.5 with the bat and 47.15 with the ball.

It was only after this, between 2003 and Apr 2006, that he became the all-rounder that England so loved. In this 2003-Apr 2006 period Flintoff played 38 tests and averaged 41.3 with the bat and just under 28 with the ball. That was when he was world-class.

After April 2006 to the end of his career, Flintoff often struggled with injury and, for a little bit, the burdens of captaincy, plus, I suppose, the hype that was always around him following the 2005 Ashes. For the final 20 tests of his career his batting averaging was 26 and his bowling average 37.25.

Thus far, Green has played 21 tests and has a 36 batting average and 33 bowling average (near identical to Stokes), which is a more than solid start, especially as he's only 24. His test bowling is roughly in line with what you'd expect from his FC figures, but his batting can certainly make an improvement and perhaps go beyond a 40 average. What I find most curious about Green is his batting strike-rate is the slowest of all of Australia's top seven - ordinarily, you expect an all-rounder to be aggressive. Perhaps indicates he should be batting higher than 6, but that's not happening with Labuschagne-Smith-Head at 3-4-5!

Duty281

VTR and KP_fan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:17 pm

Cummins falls and declaration arrives.

Too soon! Wink

guildfordbat

Pal Joey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:19 pm

Don't see much sense in Australia batting on...and Cummins skies one and Australia do indeed declare.

444 to win. The full 90 will be bowled tomorrow, plus maybe 40 overs left today (if we're lucky!), so around 130 overs in total. Some chance of rain tomorrow, but it should only be brief if it happens.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:19 pm

guildfordbat wrote:269/7. Leading by 442.

A quick 28 from here to set a target of 470 and needing the highest innings score of the match in the 4th dig, eh Olly?

Very Happy Ticking off all those boxes , eh guildford ?

All done now anyway. So 444 to win , India . Good luck with that...

Carey did a fine job for Australia in this match OK

alfie

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:22 pm

Duty281 wrote:
KP_fan wrote:Green's hyped  like he is another Flintoff, Kalis, Imran, Pollock

In Flintoff's first 21 tests (1998-2002) he only averaged 19.5 with the bat and 47.15 with the ball.

It was only after this, between 2003 and Apr 2006, that he became the all-rounder that England so loved. In this 2003-Apr 2006 period Flintoff played 38 tests and averaged 41.3 with the bat and just under 28 with the ball. That was when he was world-class.

After April 2006 to the end of his career, Flintoff often struggled with injury and, for a little bit, the burdens of captaincy, plus, I suppose, the hype that was always around him following the 2005 Ashes. For the final 20 tests of his career his batting averaging was 26 and his bowling average 37.25.

Thus far, Green has played 21 tests and has a 36 batting average and 33 bowling average (near identical to Stokes), which is a more than solid start, especially as he's only 24. His test bowling is roughly in line with what you'd expect from his FC figures, but his batting can certainly make an improvement and perhaps go beyond a 40 average. What I find most curious about Green is his batting strike-rate is the slowest of all of Australia's top seven - ordinarily, you expect an all-rounder to be aggressive. Perhaps indicates he should be batting higher than 6, but that's not happening with Labuschagne-Smith-Head at 3-4-5!

Green has the shots and he can press on when needed. So the Strike Rate shouldn't be a concern. They really seem to rate his batting. He can still deliver on that as he gains experience, playing in different conditions... Seems to have a lot more substance than Marsh as an all-rounder.

msp83

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:22 pm

130 overs theoretically to get 444
Nothing to lose....all to play for

Key is to get a reasonable opening stand ....50 runs plus
And then one of the openers to go on and play 2 sessions

Gill has already been declared the next star...this is his moment to live up to the hype.
Show he can get a BIG overseas 100 in real test challenge.
IPL scores and media hype won't sustain the stardom for long
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:23 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Cummins falls and declaration arrives.

Too soon! Wink

A quick bowl of (slow-cooked) elephant stew followed by a scone with cream and a sip of ginger ale... and then back to the task at hand.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:26 pm

So only a small matter of 444 runs between India and the title. How much damage can the Australian bowlers inflict in the session and a half they have today? Can the Indian top order get pass hundred with not more than 1 or 2 down? Or will it all be left to Jadeja and the lower order with perhaps 1 in the top 5 making a score of sorts?
If they somehow survive the new ball, this pitch is still very battable.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:40 pm

rohit looks good but is playing across his pads, across the line
Lbw a big possibility
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:45 pm

India going at above run-a-ball! They've been playing the IPL these last 2 months, they seem to think that is the best way to go about things here.
Actually, other than a couple that jumped a bit from Cummins, the ball hasn't done much yet. Perhaps Australia might go to Starc soon enough. Interestingly, he didn't take the new ball...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:53 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
alfie wrote:Yes I'm not convinced we will see the pitch fall apart...doesn't usually here , does it ?

Nine out now with Lyon departing to warm up for his bowling spell... Three now for Siraj and we might see Captain Pat having a swing perhaps ? Anything they can add to 469 should be plenty...

No, it doesn't.

Particularly thinking of the Surrey v Hants Championship match at the Oval earlier this season. Surrey made 247/1 to trounce Hants by 9 wickets in the last session of day 4 with Pope blitzing a ton and Sibley steadfast in support with 70 odd. As an aside, Dawson went wicketless for 24 from 3 overs.

Meanwhile, in line with earlier posts, the pitch on day 4 is continuing to hold up well ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 10 Jun 2023, 2:54 pm

Nice positive start from these two. Reckon both of them are happiest when batting "busily" so makes sense.
No dramatic ball movement yet but I'm sure we will see a few misbehave as we go on.

India really need a solid start from these two. If they can get through the dangerous new ball period it would at least put a little bit of pressure on Lyon to be the destroyer.

Not too surprised to see Boland taking the new ball. Thought he was the best of the bowlers In the first innings and worth seeing what he can do with this opportunity. I see Ponting still reckons he will be dropped for Hazlewood next week but a good showing here might make that less likely.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next