The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales International Rugby Summer 23 onwards.

+25
king_carlos
Duty281
Rugby Fan
Mr Bounce
bsando
lostinwales
Poorfour
Welshmushroom
Pal Joey
Galted
Collapse2005
carpet baboon
BigGee
No 7&1/2
Heaf
mountain man
sensisball
Luckless Pedestrian
formerly known as Sam
Geordie
doctor_grey
TAFKA The Oracle
mikey_dragon
Oakdene
RiscaGame
29 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Wales International Rugby Summer 23 onwards. - Page 3 Empty Wales International Rugby Summer 23 onwards.

Post by RiscaGame Fri 30 Jun 2023, 11:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

As the pages were going over 20 shortly, I’ve had to start a new thread. This is still the place to discuss the U20s, the women and everything else internationally. Updated RWC 23 squad below.

Forwards (25)

Corey Domachowski (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd– uncapped)
Kemsley Mathias (Scarlets – uncapped)
Nicky Smith (Ospreys / Gweilch– 42 caps)
Gareth Thomas (Ospreys /Gweilch – 21 caps)
Elliot Dee (Dragons / Dregiau– 41 caps)
Ryan Elias (Scarlets – 33 caps)
Dewi Lake (Ospreys / Gweilch – 8 caps)
Sam Parry (Ospreys / Gweilch – 5 caps)
Keiron Assiratti (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd– uncapped)
Tomas Francis (Ospreys / Gweilch – 71 caps)
Dillon Lewis (Harlequins – 50 caps)
Henry Thomas (Montpellier – uncapped)
Adam Beard (Ospreys / Gweilch– 46 caps)
Ben Carter (Dragons / Dregiau– 9 caps)
Rhys Davies (Ospreys / Gweilch – 2 caps)
Dafydd Jenkins (Exeter Chiefs / Caerwysg – 6 caps)
Will Rowlands (Dragons / Dregiau – 23 caps)
Christ Tshiunza (Exeter Chiefs / Caerwysg – 5 caps)
Teddy Williams (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd– uncapped)
Taine Basham (Dragons / Dregiau – 11 caps)
Taulupe Faletau (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 100 caps)
Dan Lydiate (Dragons / Dregiau – 68 caps)
Jac Morgan (Ospreys / Gweilch – 9 caps)
Tommy Reffell (Leicester Tigers / Caerlŷr– 9 caps)
Aaron Wainwright (Dragons / Dregiau – 37 caps)

Backs (22)

Gareth Davies (Scarlets – 67 caps)
Kieran Hardy (Scarlets – 17 caps)
Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 45 caps)
Gareth Anscombe (unattached – 35 caps)
Dan Biggar (Toulon – 107 caps)
Sam Costelow (Scarlets – 2 caps)
Owen Williams (Ospreys / Gweilch – 7 caps)
Mason Grady (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 2 caps)
Max Llewellyn (Gloucester Rugby / Caerloyw – uncapped)
George North (Ospreys / Gweilch – 113 caps)
Joe Roberts (Scarlets – uncapped)
Nick Tompkins (Saracens – 27 caps)
Johnny Williams (Scarlets – 5 caps)
Keiran Williams (Ospreys / Gweilch – uncapped)
Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 49 caps)
Alex Cuthbert (Ospreys / Gweilch – 57 caps)
Rio Dyer (Dragons / Dregiau – 7 caps)
Cai Evans (Ospreys/ Gweilch – uncapped)
Leigh Halfpenny (unattached – 99 caps)
Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester Rugby / Caerloyw– 25 caps)
Tom Rogers (Scarlets – 2 caps)
Liam Williams (Cardiff Rugby/ Caerdydd – 84 caps)

RiscaGame

TAFKA The Oracle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wales International Rugby Summer 23 onwards. - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales International Rugby Summer 23 onwards.

Post by Heaf Sat 19 Aug 2023, 4:41 pm

Well at least it's been good to see Jonny Williams playing well after his health issues ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Wales International Rugby Summer 23 onwards. - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales International Rugby Summer 23 onwards.

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 19 Aug 2023, 4:45 pm

Heaf wrote:Well at least it's been good to see Jonny Williams playing well after his health issues ...

Think that's called commentators curse.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 19 Aug 2023, 4:48 pm

My bad

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 19 Aug 2023, 4:48 pm

Heaf wrote:Well at least it's been good to see Jonny Williams playing well after his health issues ...

He's been a bright spark, that interception aside.

formerly known as Sam

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 19 Aug 2023, 4:49 pm

Walkers comments regarding Gatland post World Cup don’t seem too smart now. They weren’t smart anyway, but even now he should realise. I’m not sure what Gats expected naming this lineup against SA.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 19 Aug 2023, 4:49 pm

Embarrassing, regardless of the relative strengths of the two teams on the field.

SA’s biggest win in Wales (and it’s likely to get bigger by the final whistle). Great WC prep!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 19 Aug 2023, 4:57 pm

That is poor, Dyer was it getting done on the outside for that last try? He had support inside, he can't let his opposite number fade on the pass and coast round him like that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 19 Aug 2023, 4:58 pm

Red?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 19 Aug 2023, 4:58 pm

Tackled. But always high. Red for me.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:02 pm

Based on NH officiating that would normally be red - but these days who knows? Who is doing the review, Joy Neville or another TV official?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:02 pm

Dyer wasn’t dipping, he was actually rising! So you’d think it would be red. Who knows though. It’s a lottery.

TAFKA The Oracle

mikey_dragon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:02 pm

That should have been Red. There’s been some shocking decisions made today.

mikey_dragon

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:03 pm

Heaf wrote:Based on NH officiating that would normally be red - but these days who knows?  Who is doing the review, Joy Neville or another TV official?

Another team. Yellow surprises me.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:03 pm

Just a YC for the tackle

He is a lucky fellow

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:03 pm

Nope, yellow given.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:04 pm

Hang on. It’s red?

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:05 pm

Well now I've no idea what's red and what's yellow - that would certainly have been a red in the prem this season ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:06 pm

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:Hang on. It’s red?

Nope reviewed in the Bunker and stays yellow.

Need to see a few angles but looked a RC to me

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:07 pm

Agree with Warburton that our scrum looks better with G Thomas and Nicky Smith.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:11 pm

Erm….. it’s clear we haven’t tapered on our fitness. Or something. Shocked Laugh Whistle

Why’s the crowd belting out Bon Jovi like they’re enjoying a concert or something. They should be crying into their pints.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:17 pm

Peter-Steph du Toit was probably player of the match for me. Every Bok player was good so could have given it to anyone bar Libbok.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:17 pm

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:Agree with Warburton that our scrum looks better with G Thomas and Nicky Smith.

They play in the same position.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:45 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
TAFKA The Oracle wrote:Agree with Warburton that our scrum looks better with G Thomas and Nicky Smith.

They play in the same position.

Sorry, ‘the replacement props’ went better than the starters.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 19 Aug 2023, 5:47 pm

Got my ‘G’s and ‘H’s mixed up.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sat 19 Aug 2023, 9:01 pm

Not sure what to make of our pre-WC series. Some signs of promise in the first game, with a new and youthful side, but against an England team their own fans are describing as woeful and dreadful. The other 2 games we were poor overall.

Saw nothing really today to give me much hope. No standouts. The sub props were ok. As they were last week (or was it the week before?). Our very own bomb squad?! Very Happy

Really not sure of our best/strongest starting 15:

Rowlands is in there, for me. Jac Morgan too. I think I’d like to see LRZ as a starter on the wing. Dyer at least tries very hard and has made good yards. Still quite raw but will be useful this World Cup, just not sure if he’s in the first team. Neither 1/2p or Liam W fill me with confidence at FB, mainly as I think they’re a little past it attacking wise. They won’t let us down defensively though.

Can’t decide between Biggar and Costelow. The difference between them in terms of style is so vast that it really does completely change the way we play and the personnel we need to suit those players, which is a problem with limited subs.

Centres - not sure if anyone has really put their hand up?

Hooker - I think I like either Lake or Parry, although Dee’s darts have been ok. But he doesn’t make enough ground in the tight.
Props - Smith and Henry Thomas have looked good. Gareth Thomas good too I think. Corey D and Assarati ok at times, and quite good in the loose, but questions over their scrummaging at this level. Good to start to develop some depth though. And there’s still Francis too, although is he maybe a bit of a fading light? Anyone I’ve missed?

Haven’t been impressed overall with our scrum halves. Webb worked his way back to maybe 1st choice and then retired. So now we have 3 who are not exactly smashing it. Gareth Davies was probably 4th choice last 6N but is maybe getting himself back up the pecking order? Hardy right down the order for me.

Who partners Rowlands? Not Beard for me. Has Carter done enough? Rhys Davies? Jenkins?
Back row very open too. If we assume Jac Morgan is in at 7 as captain, then 6 and 8 is quite open. Reffell hasn’t impressed. Nor has ChristS Or does Morgan go to 6 and another fetcher at 7?

Really hard to pick a best 1st XV.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 19 Aug 2023, 9:15 pm

Wales were rubbish in the entire series, that’s what I make of it. Hardy and Rogers should be confirmed as semi-pro for everyone now.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sun 20 Aug 2023, 12:48 pm

I agree with that Mikey. Those two were not good. Amongst others. But those two stick in the mind the most!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 20 Aug 2023, 7:01 pm

I called it ages ago, but sadly Gatland never listens.

Cai Evans seemed to be out of position a couple times in defence, but apart from that I thought he was decent. He isn't a Wales regular just yet, but I'm hoping he plays like that for us.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Mon 21 Aug 2023, 12:50 pm

Wales WC Squad:

Forwards (19):

Corey Domachowski
Tomas Francis
Dillon Lewis
Nicky Smith
Gareth Thomas
Henry Thomas

Elliot Dee
Dewi Lake
Ryan Elias

Adam Beard
Dafydd Jenkins
Will Rowlands

Taine Basham
Taulupe Faletau
Dan Lydiate
Jac Morgan
Tommy Reffell
Christ Tshiunza
Aaron Wainwright

Backs (14):

Gareth Davies
Tomos Williams

Dan Biggar
Sam Costelow
Gareth Anscombe

Mason Grady
George North
Nick Tompkins
Johnny Williams

Josh Adams
Rio Dyer
Louis Rees-Zammit

Liam Williams
Leigh Halfpenny

The Unlucky XV:
Fifteen players omitted from the provisional squad:

Kieron Assiratti, Ben Carter, Rhys Davies, Kemsley Mathias, Sam Parry, Taine Plumtree, Teddy Williams,

Alex Cuthbert, Cai Evans, Kieran Hardy, Max Llewellyn, Joe Roberts, Tom Rogers, Kieran Williams, Owen Williams.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Think I would have taken the ones above in bold.

Edit: now grouped by position rather than alphabetically

TAFKA The Oracle

sensisball and RiscaGame like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Mon 21 Aug 2023, 1:09 pm

Looking at the above:

Seems we're a bit light on 2nd row cover. Christ Tshiunza to cover?

Only 2 scrum halves? Not sure who covers from the rest of the squad?

Back 3 cover seems light. 5 players to cover 3 positions for the whole tournament. Although North could cover wing I suppose. Anscombe FB cover?

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 21 Aug 2023, 1:58 pm

Hopefully we have a new coach after the world cup. It might upset Nigel Walker but I'm sure it will be a welcome decision with others.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 21 Aug 2023, 3:32 pm

Tshiunza is lock cover.
Costelow is scrum-half cover (still much better than Hardy).
North and Grady are wing cover.
Anscombe must also be considered full-back cover.

I don't get how Lydiate, Beard and Halfpenny are in. We are really lacking at lock, blindside and No 8.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Tue 22 Aug 2023, 3:05 pm

Hardy asked not to travel to the RWC if he wasn't first or second choice due to the health of his child.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 22 Aug 2023, 3:22 pm

Oakdene wrote:Hardy asked not to travel to the RWC if he wasn't first or second choice due to the health of his child.

I wondered how long it would be before you came back to defend him. Of course he's not first or second choice, and is lucky to be in the matchday squad for his region.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Tue 22 Aug 2023, 3:27 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:Hardy asked not to travel to the RWC if he wasn't first or second choice due to the health of his child.

I wondered how long it would be before you came back to defend him. Of course he's not first or second choice, and is lucky to be in the matchday squad for his region.

Not defending him, simply stating a fact Mikey. You do seem to have an unhealthy obsession with him mind.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Tue 22 Aug 2023, 3:30 pm

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:Wales WC Squad:

Forwards (19):

Corey Domachowski
Tomas Francis
Dillon Lewis
Nicky Smith
Gareth Thomas
Henry Thomas

Elliot Dee
Dewi Lake
Ryan Elias

Adam Beard
Dafydd Jenkins
Will Rowlands

Taine Basham
Taulupe Faletau
Dan Lydiate
Jac Morgan
Tommy Reffell
Christ Tshiunza
Aaron Wainwright

Backs (14):

Gareth Davies
Tomos Williams

Dan Biggar
Sam Costelow
Gareth Anscombe

Mason Grady
George North
Nick Tompkins
Johnny Williams

Josh Adams
Rio Dyer
Louis Rees-Zammit

Liam Williams
Leigh Halfpenny

The Unlucky XV:
Fifteen players omitted from the provisional squad:

Kieron Assiratti, Ben Carter, Rhys Davies, Kemsley Mathias, Sam Parry, Taine Plumtree, Teddy Williams,

Alex Cuthbert, Cai Evans, Kieran Hardy, Max Llewellyn, Joe Roberts, Tom Rogers, Kieran Williams, Owen Williams.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Think I would have taken the ones above in bold.

Edit: now grouped by position rather than alphabetically

Yeah Im not sure on Plumtree yet, I think he was a bit over eager when he started against England following his good outing the week before. His injury isn't serious so I would think he would be the next cab off the rank if there is a injury at 6 or 8 which forces a player to leave the RWC.

Was quietly impressed with how Cai went about his business on what would have been an emotional & nervous day for him. Was very disappointed not to see more of Kieran Williams as when I have seen him for the Ospreys he has impressed me.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 22 Aug 2023, 4:06 pm

Oakdene wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Not defending him, simply stating a fact Mikey. You do seem to have an unhealthy obsession with him mind.

And I'm simply stating a fact that he isn't first or second choice. I have remained consistent on my view of his 9 skills and what do you know, now everyone bar Scarlets' fans are agreeing. I wouldn't call that an obsession, but you used to say the same about me and Pivac; what do you know, he was shown the door too. Another episode of mikey called it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 23 Aug 2023, 8:23 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

And I'm simply stating a fact that he isn't first or second choice. I have remained consistent on my view of his 9 skills and what do you know, now everyone bar Scarlets' fans are agreeing. I wouldn't call that an obsession, but you used to say the same about me and Pivac; what do you know, he was shown the door too. Another episode of mikey called it.

Where did I defend him in my post which you have quoted? I didn't.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 23 Aug 2023, 9:00 am

I don't know why else you would mention it, apart from to defend him. Hardy, Rogers, Pivac; if they are Scarlets associated you always defend them. Those three have been indefensible.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 23 Aug 2023, 9:01 am

mikey_dragon wrote:I don't know why else you would mention it, apart from to defend him. Hardy, Rogers, Pivac; if they are Scarlets associated you always defend them. Those three have been indefensible.

Because it's a fact which is related to the naming of the world cup squad. In the same way that if Hardy has a bad game you mention it, because it's a fact.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 23 Aug 2023, 9:02 am

Yeah and you're defending him again. It's lame.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 23 Aug 2023, 9:04 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Yeah and you're defending him again. It's lame.

Where have I defended him? Please show me....have you asked how I thought he played? No. You have taken something which I have posted, which is a fact & was in the news, & taken it to be me defending him.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 23 Aug 2023, 9:42 am

Oakdene wrote:

Where have I defended him? Please show me....have you asked how I thought he played? No. You have taken something which I have posted, which is a fact & was in the news, & taken it to be me defending him.

I already pointed it out and yes it is exactly that. It's natural when you let unconscious bias take over. Perhaps you just need to acknowledge that once again, Mikey called it. I would be concerned if both players were in my backline next season but I doubt you are.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 23 Aug 2023, 9:49 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:

I already pointed it out and yes it is exactly that. It's natural when you let unconscious bias take over. Perhaps you just need to acknowledge that once again, Mikey called it. I would be concerned if both players were in my backline next season but I doubt you are.

Christ Mikey, you really need to learn what was written. I haven't defended him in the post above. Have I previously? Yes I have but rather than ask my opinion on how I felt he played, you've gone straight in with the "ah you're defending him again" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

My post simply stated that he didn't wish to go to the RWC if he wasn't 1st or 2nd choice, due to the health of his child. Much in the same way Webb decided he didn't want to be in the Welsh squad if he wasn't first or second choice.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 23 Aug 2023, 10:01 am

You and I both know you were defending him, just like Rogers and Pivac. It's futile to do it and also to deny what you are doing. As I said, mikey called it.

Oh, perhaps Webb was also right and Pivac was wrong on that? Wink

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 23 Aug 2023, 10:06 am

mikey_dragon wrote:You and I both know you were defending him, just like Rogers and Pivac. It's futile to do it and also to deny what you are doing. As I said, mikey called it.

Oh, perhaps Webb was also right and Pivac was wrong on that? Wink  

Show me where I have defended him in my posts this week? Yes I have defended him before but there is nothing in anything I have written since the South African game where I have defended him. I get it though, you love to be right & will manipulate any post to drive that complex home. Great job on that.

What Webb was right in saying he didn't want to be involved unless it was 100% he would be in the matchday XXIII? No I don't think that was the right way to be but, like Hardy, he is allowed to make whatever personal decisions he likes.

Anyhow, not going to fill up this thread with pointless back & forth so going to move on.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 23 Aug 2023, 10:21 am

....then I don't get why you would say it, if not to defend him? Unconscious bias (look it up). The only facts here are; Hardy isn't good enough, and is not in the world cup squad. mikey called it about a year ago. He's bad as Aled Davies.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 23 Aug 2023, 10:23 am

mikey_dragon wrote:....then I don't get why you would say it, if not to defend him? Unconscious bias (look it up). The only facts here are; Hardy isn't good enough, and is not in the world cup squad. mikey called it about a year ago. He's bad as Aled Davies.

Love the fact you talk about yourself in the 3rd person laughing laughing

You love facts so answer me this, am I lying when I say that Hardy told the coaching set up he didn't wish to travel to the RWC if he wasn't 1st choice or second choice.

If you look at a lot of my posts on this forum, I often put one or two line posts in with news I have just read.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 23 Aug 2023, 11:12 am

Oakdene wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:....then I don't get why you would say it, if not to defend him? Unconscious bias (look it up). The only facts here are; Hardy isn't good enough, and is not in the world cup squad. mikey called it about a year ago. He's bad as Aled Davies.

You love facts so answer me this, am I lying when I say that Hardy told the coaching set up he didn't wish to travel to the RWC if he wasn't 1st choice or second choice.

If you look at a lot of my posts on this forum, I often put one or two line posts in with news I have just read.

I have no idea as I haven't read it. All mikey knows are these facts;
1. Hardy isn't good enough.
2. Hardy is not in the squad.

To keep crying and suggesting it's something else other than him being rubbish is pathetic now.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 23 Aug 2023, 11:16 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:

I have no idea as I haven't read it. All mikey knows are these facts;
1. Hardy isn't good enough.
2. Hardy is not in the squad.

To keep crying and suggesting it's something else other than him being rubbish is pathetic now.

Please show me where I have suggested this recently. You can't because I haven't suggested that. Apparently because I posted a one line message saying he didn't want to be selected if he wasn't 1st or 2nd choice equates to me suggesting either one or both.

Oakdene is going to stop replying now.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next