The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Galwagians versus The Glaswegians: The Dyslexic Derby

+2
Pot Hale
jimbopip
6 posters

Go down

The Galwagians versus The Glaswegians: The Dyslexic Derby Empty The Galwagians versus The Glaswegians: The Dyslexic Derby

Post by jimbopip Tue 24 Oct 2023, 3:59 pm

Well, Round Two is upon us and this one should be a cracker. The Craggy Islanders looked good demolishing the Ospreys while the Glaswegian Warriors made harder work than was necessary out of beating the Leinster Academy Under 15's (B side).

Most people who pretend to a knowledge of rugby matters spent the run up to Glasgow's match saying, "There's no such thing as a weak Leinster side." Sorry but I think 43 points to Glasgow might contradict that.
However, there is no such thing as a soft Connacht side. The Galwagians versus The Glaswegians: The Dyslexic Derby 1347041234 Whoever is picked I feel we can rest assured that it will be 15 handy lads who want to knock seven buckets of shoite out of anyone who's not wearing a green jersey, and occasionally they may deign to touch a rugby ball (or not). i actually believe that the selection meeting consist of the players being herded into the club laundry where the just washed jerseys are in a pile on the floor. John Muldoon screams, "Same as last week boys, the first fifteen lads who get a jersey on and find a seat on the coach are playing, but no knives !!"

At this point I should add that if any of our Irish readers wish to give us a more detailed analysis of the team and tactics we would be very grateful.

As for the Glaswegians; The General is in the groove. He has already planned which players he is using in this block of matches. And every other one until the end of the season.

Here's my stab at the side.
1. Dropsie Kebble
2. Scouse Jonny
3. Ragnar
4. Cummings
5. Peterson
6. Mullet
7.Darge
8.Big Shona
9. Hornito
10 Jordan
11. Seaman
12. Lord Stafford Of MacDowall
13. Dimples
14. Seba
15. McKay

A 6/2 bench as usual; McBeth-Fraser_Sordoni, Samuels, Henco, Brown, House Elf, Meatball.

The only major change would be Big Shona for Brown in the back row. Shona didn't feature much for Tonga in France so should be ready to go. Interestingly, after seeming reluctant to play an out and out 7 for most of last season we saw two 7's playing together for the last part of the Leinster game. Mullet and Darge really have a lot of dog in them and they can be creative and destructive as the moment requires. He may not do it but I'd love to see them both start.

The Craggies will present a much stiffer challenge than Leinster did...but then again I think Glasgow will ask more pertinent questions than the O's did.

Could be a cracker.

jimbopip

George Carlin and bsando like this post

Back to top Go down

The Galwagians versus The Glaswegians: The Dyslexic Derby Empty Re: The Galwagians versus The Glaswegians: The Dyslexic Derby

Post by Pot Hale Wed 25 Oct 2023, 9:37 am

It's almost as if you were in the Connacht dressing shed. Uncanny.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

The Galwagians versus The Glaswegians: The Dyslexic Derby Empty Re: The Galwagians versus The Glaswegians: The Dyslexic Derby

Post by jimbopip Wed 25 Oct 2023, 10:01 am

Pot Hale wrote:It's almost as if you were in the Connacht dressing shed.  Uncanny.

No the restraining order out a stop to all that. Hug

jimbopip

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 25 Oct 2023, 4:53 pm

What;s the weather going to be like in Galway on Saturday?

I guess we will be expecting a mild breeze and a bit of gentle rain as normal?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 25 Oct 2023, 6:55 pm

That's midsummer weather you're describing there Gee. It'll be colder than a nun's nasty and windier than than tigertattie in a sprout eating contest.
I am beginning to think that there will be minimal changes to the Glasgow line up; Hornito and House Elf swapping and possibly Big Shona into the back row for a bit of grunt.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 25 Oct 2023, 7:03 pm

Jimbo

This is General Franco we are talking about!

There is always a plan, usually decided about a year ago and there will always be changes.

In Tombola terms, he makes Toonie look like Alan Solomans!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 25 Oct 2023, 10:33 pm

Very good thread, James. Looking forward to this one.

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 26 Oct 2023, 7:58 pm

Another Irish pack for Glasgow to destroy...

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 26 Oct 2023, 8:21 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Another Irish pack for Glasgow to destroy...

We need the practice Very Happy

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 27 Oct 2023, 11:56 am

Glasgow team out

1 Oli Kebble (86)
2 Angus Fraser (4)
3 Zander Fagerson (129)
4 Scott Cummings (107)
5 Richie Gray (101)
6 Gregor Brown (13)
7 Sione Vailanu (20)
8 Henco Venter (1)

9 George Horne (100)
10 Tom Jordan (25)
11 Kyle Steyn (C) (66)
12 Stafford McDowall (58)
13 Huw Jones (60)
14 Kyle Rowe (0)
15 Josh McKay (28)

Replacements

16 Johnny Matthews (51)
17 Nathan McBeth (25)
18 Lucio Sordoni (16)
19 Greg Peterson (33)
20 Ally Miller (15)
21 Rory Darge (33)
22 Jamie Dobie (52)
23 Duncan Weir (134)

Unavailable for selection: Fraser Brown (knee), Facundo Cordero (ankle), Euan Ferrie (ankle), JP du Preez (knee), Murphy Walker (calf).

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 27 Oct 2023, 12:01 pm

The side is announced so I've updated my team.

jimbopip wrote:Well, Round Two is upon us and this one should be a cracker. The Craggy Islanders looked good demolishing the Ospreys while the Glaswegian Warriors made harder work than was necessary out of beating the Leinster Academy Under 15's (B side).

Most people who pretend to a knowledge of rugby matters spent the run up to Glasgow's match saying, "There's no such thing as a weak Leinster side." Sorry but I think 43 points to Glasgow might contradict that.
However, there is no such thing as a soft Connacht side. The Galwagians versus The Glaswegians: The Dyslexic Derby 1347041234 Whoever is picked I feel we can rest assured that it will be 15 handy lads who want to knock seven buckets of shoite out of anyone who's not wearing a green jersey, and occasionally they may deign to touch a rugby ball (or not). i actually believe that the selection meeting consist of the players being herded into the club laundry where the just washed jerseys are in a pile on the floor. John Muldoon screams, "Same as last week boys, the first fifteen lads who get a jersey on and find a seat on the coach are playing, but no knives !!"

At this point I should add that if any of our Irish readers wish to give us a more detailed analysis of the team and tactics we would be very grateful.

As for the Glaswegians; The General is in the groove. He has already planned which players he is using in this block of matches. And every other one until the end of the season.

Here's my stab at the side.
1. Dropsie Kebble
2. Scouse Jonny Angus Fraser
3. Ragnar
4. Cummings
5. Peterson Richie
6. Mullet Brown
7.Darge Big Shona
8.Big Shona Henco
9. Hornito
10 Jordan
11. Seaman
12. Lord Stafford Of MacDowall
13. Dimples
14. Seba Ugly Mullet
15. McKay

A 6/2 bench as usual; McBeth-FraserScouse Jonny_Sordoni, SamuelsPeterson, Henco, Ally Miller Brown Darge, House Elf, Meatball.

The only major change would be Big Shona for Brown in the back row. Shona didn't feature much for Tonga in France so should be ready to go. Interestingly, after seeming reluctant to play an out and out 7 for most of last season we saw two 7's playing together for the last part of the Leinster game. Instead he has dropped Darge for Big Shona so it's really one six and two 6.5's in the back row.

The Craggies will present a much stiffer challenge than Leinster did...but then again I think Glasgow will ask more pertinent questions than the O's did.

Could be a cracker.

The only real change behind the scrum is Ugly Mullet in for Seba. UM does look like he will be a very good signing but Seba is class, probably resting him for the Stormers and Ulster games. Will it be strong enough to weather the elements in Galway?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 27 Oct 2023, 12:02 pm

Richie Gray back a week or two earlier than I expected

Very solid front five with physically big replacements. Backrow is heavy to start and will become quicker with Miller and Darge. Also good to see Fraser and Brown start to establish themselves in the squad keeping out Matthews and Manjezi.

The backs are good though no Thompson again.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 27 Oct 2023, 12:11 pm

Connacht team

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (222)
14. Byron Ralston (16)
13. Tom Farrell (100)
12. Cathal Forde (14)
11. Diarmuid Kilgallen (17)
10. JJ Hanrahan (1)
9. Caolin Blade (171) (C)
1. Denis Buckley (229)
2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (25)
3. Jack Aungier (51)
4. Niall Murray (57)
5. Joe Joyce (1)
6. Cian Prendergast (48)
7. Shamus Hurley-Langton (21)
8. Jarrad Butler (115)

16.Tadgh McElroy (1)
17. Peter Dooley (19)
18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy (80)
19. Darragh Murray (9)
20. Oisín Dowling (45)
21. Colm Reilly (18)
22. Liam McNamara (1)
23. Conor Oliver (63)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 28 Oct 2023, 3:56 pm

Well, the Craggies will be  scratching their heads and wondering how they shipped three tries there. I think the home side had 99% possession almost as much territory.
It has been a bit like watching Ireland v Scotland.  The team in green are defending well and preventing the visitors from getting any coherence or structure into their play. The only difference has been that Glasgow were handed two tries after two monumental brain farts.
Hornito is having a bad day at 9: House Elf to 9 Hornito to wing would be my choice.
Oh and Kyle Rowe has been demulleted.  He looks sharper for it.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 28 Oct 2023, 4:46 pm

Well, Connacht have eliminated the stupid mistakes and are looking good value for the win.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 28 Oct 2023, 5:21 pm

Very sloppy performance from Glasgow and well done Connacht who were deserved winners.

We only really started to play when the game was long gone and were probably lucky to pick up a point.

The few positives I could taje was the debut of Kyle Rowe  who looks a handy player.

Henco Venter looks the man for the hard yards and definitely showed a bit of leadership  when no-one else was doing so.

I also thought we looked a lot better with Dobie at SH, his pass is just so much quicker than Horne's

Last edited by BigGee on Sat 28 Oct 2023, 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 28 Oct 2023, 6:00 pm

I thought today was a clear indication of why Hornito has never really cemented his place as the starting 9.
Darge wS class when he came on.
Lineout.. Cummings couldn't catch Vovid.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down