The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

+36
Packman4
Gregers
sharky066
Mark2011
oldshanker
JASON DAY RULES
Doon the Water
pedro
Mad for Chelsea
Ramilas1
LondonJonnyO
detones
Dave.
Noshankingtonite
graeme
legendkillar
Davie
Nay
ryan86
John Cregan
haystongolfer
dynamark
SmithersJones
EmmDee57
drive4show
venice1
navyblueshorts
Shotrock
Lairdy
Doc
Yadsendew
sirbenson
Maverick
NedB-H
Redrage
kwinigolfer
40 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 7 Empty PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).First in driving distance.
First in putts per green in regulation.
Fifth in total putts.
Eighth in greens in regulation.
That's the trick Harrison Frazar pulled last week; if he can do it again he'll win the US Open. He has serious power, more than enough for Congressional, but one would expect his short game to desert him in the end.

2).These wins have hidden bennies: Apart from sponsorship bonuses and, in this case, a 2 1/2 year Tour exemption, Frazar also qualifies for Bridgestone, the PGA Championship, Kapalua and Augusta; and probably the HSBC Champions. And to think a few months ago he wrote an SI article about packing the pro game up after 13 winless years and $9M in prizemoney.

3).Roary Sabbatini's just had two weeks off, presumably at His Majesty Tim Finchem's pleasure. Now he gets to return to the scene of Bencranegate, where in 2005 he left pedestrian Ben to his own devices and desires on the 17th green while he played the 18th without him. Expect Roary to have another fortnight's holiday, win this week or lose.

4).Who's got form here? Only four players in the field have won at Congressional, all before Rees Jones redid (read lengthened) the Blue Course: Ernie Els (1997), Sergio Garcia (2005), KJ Choi (2007) and Anthony Kim (2008). Apart from Sergio, other Europeans who have decent records at Congressional include:
Freddie Jacobson, 2nd in the 2008 AT&T; Justin Rose with a couple of top thirty AT&T finishes; Luke Donald with a 13th place in 2005; and, of course, Alex Cejka with a 9th place finish in 2008.

5).Oops, last but by no means least, a certain Lee Westwood who finished T19th (with T.Woods) at the 1997 US Open here. Others from Team GB&I who made the 1997 cut were five Ryder Cuppers, Monty, DC, Sirfaldo, Coltart and Broadhurst.
AND: The son of a moustachioed itinerant goalscorer who plied his trade for, among other more distinguished teams: Bradford Park Avenue, Southport and Stockport. Now: No Googling allowed, who was the son of a strikerman who finished 24th that year????

6).Others who have at least two top tens in the five events competitors could have played include:
Furyk, with 2 x 3rds, a 5th, and a 7th.
Allenby, with a 3rd and a 6th.
Mahan, 2nd and 6th.
Snedeker, 5th and 8th.
Els and Kim, (both languishing in abysmal form).

7).Apart from the aged Fred Funk, there is no PGA Tour winner who could be described as a local. But: Mike Fluff Cowen is a member at Congressional, and a fine golfer in his own right. That may explain Furyk's terrific record here, but Jimmy's been out of sorts this year and it's difficult to believe Fluff can help him to the winners' enclosure.

8).Been having a look at Paddy Power's prices, and my five European value bets, paying each way down to 6th, are:
11/1 Westwood
60/1 Garcia
66/1 Karlsson
70/1 Rose
200/1 Noren.
My three to beat the field would be Choi, Mahan, Westwood, not necessarily in that order! Sure Donald and Stricker are among those in superb form (and Stricker also has a good record here) but this course will be unrelenting to shorter hitters unless they hit at least 75% of the fairways; it's not just the long irons into greens, it's the strength to get out of jail.

9).Before we know it, we'll be talking about Royal St.George's and the R&A mini-money-list is now led by, yup, Harrison Frazar, followed by Goydos, Jobe, CHIII and Holmes.

10).Lastly, the Nationwiders are hard at it in Kansas, Christian and Owen hopefully putting four good rounds together and Russell Knox rediscovering his form of a few weeks ago.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 7 Empty Re: PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 5:54 pm

Did Rock just go birdie, birdie, eagle? Scoreboards been so funky it's almost impossible to tell fact from fiction?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 7 Empty Re: PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Doon the Water Sun 19 Jun 2011, 6:47 pm

Yes he did and followed with 4 straight pars.

Westwood 65 to Rory's 75. Could happen.
It's a strange game.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by sharky066 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 6:50 pm

Go Rory
will Rory McIlroy win the US Open
or will he flop again like he did in the Masters
hope he does it and with another golfer from Northern Ireland winning it last year, it will be two years form a small country

sharky066

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 6:56 pm

Of course, the scandalously knighthood deficient Tony Jacklin won by SEVEN for England in 1970; will Northern Ireland beat that? I'd be happy with a tie!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sharky066 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 7:00 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Of course, the scandalously knighthood deficient Tony Jacklin won by SEVEN for England in 1970; will Northern Ireland beat that? I'd be happy with a tie!
they said he has broken a few records already. I just hope he wins it

sharky066

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sun 19 Jun 2011, 7:11 pm

Can Rory hold on today? Even more so than Augusta he's been by far the best player on the course.

Come on Rory!

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by JASON DAY RULES Sun 19 Jun 2011, 7:15 pm

COME on jason

JASON DAY RULES

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 7:19 pm

Good luck GJ!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 19 Jun 2011, 7:20 pm

Kwinni

Jacklin and Slack Alice will never be knighted.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 7:29 pm

I hope you're wrong Doon, Jacklin did more for European golf (later outdone only be Seve) than anyone else, at least since WWII.
Given the gongs given out willy nilly to faux celebrity sportsmen (not so much women of course), it would be a sad mistake not to honour him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 7:42 pm

Apart from the obvious, two things for golfers to play for today:
Top eight finishers receive exemption to 2012 Masters
Top ten finishers receive exemption to 2012 US Open.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 19 Jun 2011, 7:51 pm

Well was having a wee look at my unsettled bets and noticed that i had put money on ye yang

Y.E. Yang @ 125/1 (Each Way: 1/4 for first 6 places.)

I dont even remember putting this bet on, so am now torn as want a Rory win, but a YE win would obviously be good

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 19 Jun 2011, 7:55 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Of course, the scandalously knighthood deficient Tony Jacklin won by SEVEN for England in 1970; will Northern Ireland beat that? I'd be happy with a tie!

Kwini - I've actually played a few holes with TJ in.......must have been 1967ish. Lovely man, very sharp dresser (then at least) and without a shadow of a doubt, the finest and sweetest striker of the ball I have ever seen up close - he was the start of the European fightback in my opinion.

I have found it really hard to forgive Lee Trevino for what he did, even though he appears to be also a very likeable man and of course was only doing what he did best.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:12 pm

Anyone else notice the six South Koreans in the top 45.

Is this another wind change of global golf power?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:18 pm

Shanker, Still a good friend of many Americans, always was close to Bert Yancey, and often attends Nicklaus's Memorial, think he's a member of Jack's "Captain's Club".

Doon,
Until Noren went off the rails there were six Swedes in the top 45 also.

Highlights how disappointing many of trhe leading Americans have been this week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:19 pm

125/1 on YE Yang? Which bookie gave those odds? Shocked

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:21 pm

Kwini,

we all know the Americans haven't won a major since Phil last year... but the more illuminating stat for me was that Bubba and Zach at Whistling Straits were their only top-3s since Phil's Masters, in any major. Every chance we could see the same here, unless Garrigus reverses his poor start or Stricker continues to be hot.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:23 pm

Afternoon Lee! And Freddie too.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:25 pm

Skybet,

Nice opening tee shot by Rory, and very good start by Lee Westwood

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:27 pm

Am I the only person who is totally loving coverage with minimal mention of Tiger, no footage of Hefty-Lefty and when someone mentions Freddie we know they don't mean Couples?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:31 pm

Beautiful.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:44 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Shanker, Still a good friend of many Americans, always was close to Bert Yancey, and often attends Nicklaus's Memorial, think he's a member of Jack's "Captain's Club".

I had to look this one up Kwini and he is. This year the new honoree is Nancy Lopez - an inspired choice and possibly responsible for bringing the ladies game back to prominence.

Bert Yancey - to my eternal shame, I had completely forgotten that name. But thank you for jogging my memory.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:48 pm

Shanker,
I think Bert Yancey died on the practice range at a Senior event in Utah . . . .

Ned thumbsup
Shocking start by Kuchar, how ironic it would be of DLIII was low American. Or even Stricker.

Johnny Miller more than a little effusive about European golf, however reluctantly!!!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:57 pm

Oosty and Stricker both -4 through 9 holes which is excellent. Even if LW or others at -6 or -5 duplicate that it gives Rory 6 shots clear if he were to play par golf which is very unlikely. He looks a -4 projected at least.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:55 pm

What if you held a US Open and the US didn't show up?

Somehow, there's something unhealthy about that, I'd like to see someone make a run, for a Masters place.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Packman4 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:15 pm

The Sky commentary is rather nauseating!

Lets take it for what it is, an excellent performance perhaps the best European performance in a major, but who cares if it is in league with Tiger when he won by 15. You cannot compare really is the scoring has been much better here than any US Open i have seen.

When -2 is tied 15th you know something is up! That usually wins the event.

Congratulations Rory............but please Sky dont crown him as the GOAT he will still need another 18 majors to be number one!

That tournament he won in America, Mark Roe said it was the best round ever which is crazy! But hey he is prone to talk nonsense!

Packman4

Back to top Go down

Post by Packman4 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:24 pm

NFL fans will get this reference

Commentary is like Jim Nantz fawning over Peyton Manning.........makes the mute button a God send!!

Packman4

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:26 pm

QH win was pretty special though, Packman. Testament from all the pros who hung around long after their rounds to congratulate him.

Remarkable pair of birdies there on #10, much as I nominate L.Westwood as my favourite golfer, you'd have to say that YE deserves second place laurels.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Packman4 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:30 pm

I agree it was a great round, but its all too common for media types to say something is 'the best ever'.

Not knocking Rory at all, just the media.

Donald is my favourite golfer at the moment.
But I hope Westwood wins a major before its too late for him!

Packman4

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:31 pm

Like the way Rory's playing this round one shot at a time. Feel like a glutenous pig as the tourney slowly and beautifully winds down. A round of applause for YEY and the way he's handled and performed these last 2 rounds. Hanson and Chappell (current top American) guaranteeing themselves those automatic 2012 Masters and U.S. Open if they hang on.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:38 pm

I think your UCLA boys are doing you proud venice, I have 1/2 of them but went to Georgia for the top am!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm

Sergiooooooooooo! Has to be very satisfied with his resurged form. Even his putts look good. kwini, Lucked out on my UCLA picks but they are doing the NCAA proud based on the fact that they are recent P.O.T.Y. (Nicklaus Award) winners. Going to have to do some research on who's won that award during the past decade.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm

Emergency Ward 10 for Stenson and Nurse Fanny. Just remove your trousers Henrik. Oh, that's right, you did that at Doral.

What's Freddie Jac doing? A return to the US Open in his hands plus a trip to The Masters and you turn into Ernie Els.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:06 pm

Where's GJ?
Matthew Goggin just won the Nationwide event GJ, so you can guarantee he'll be back on the PGA Tour next year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:12 pm

five holes to go. Rory straight down the middle on 14...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:17 pm

Rory certainly head down and playing good golf. It is great to see Sergio competing again at a Major. Cantley well done to an amateur finishing level par for the tournament. Excellent stuff.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:19 pm

I thought that was in! Beautiful putt, and another safe as houses par.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:21 pm

4 to go.....

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:25 pm

I bet Graeme wanted to lamp him for such a brutal and blunt question!!

Shocking from Sky, not much better to his right with Monty waiting for another pointless remark!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:26 pm

What did the guy say?

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:29 pm

He said "Graeme, First of all your own defence, you must be dissappointed that you didn't into the top 5 or challenge again, but you must be proud of your defence?"

Rubbish from Sky!!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:31 pm

Rolling Eyes 🤦

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:33 pm

another rock solid par, just three more holes to go...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:33 pm

So he basically said Graeme you were poor, but proud of it no doubt!!

Graeme had a face of thunder and I can't say I blame him.

Just poor.

🤦

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:36 pm

McDowell should be proud of his defence, his play, his comportment and his willingness and good humour in putting up with so many moronic questions from the maroons of the media.

More importantly, three to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:38 pm

I agree, take a bow GMac! At least the trophy is staying here!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:38 pm

I'm beginning to think Livingstone has some serious dirt on Murdoch. Why else would he still be in a job?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:39 pm

SJ laughing

Quality, he must know something because he is just gash!!

It's almost like they are tormenting him

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:44 pm

Sergio's putting 🤦

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:45 pm

Sergio has been poor on the greens today, but overall he has had a good tournament.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next