The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much is Modric worth in your opinion?

+14
JDandfries
Grizzly
jro786
sirfredperry
paulscholes
Mark2011
BigPhil
tecphobe
Derbyblue
CFCNick
Forward Pass
Ent
sodhat
Raymond
18 posters

Go down

How much is Modric worth in your opinion? Empty How much is Modric worth in your opinion?

Post by Raymond Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

I think he is worth about the 40 million mark, he could walk into every team in the world maybe bar barca but I think he is as good as Xavi, he has a fantastic work rate, awesome vision and passer up there with the very best. I don't support any prem team so I hope Man U get him as a much younger replacement for Scholes and would allow them to challenge for the champions league.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

How much is Modric worth in your opinion? Empty Re: How much is Modric worth in your opinion?

Post by sodhat Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:34 pm

I think £40m is a little high and I'd have him around the £30m mark.

Either way £22m is too low, considering the prices paid for Henderson and Jones this week.

I too would prefer to see him at United, but either way I love to watch him play so I hope he stays in this country.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

How much is Modric worth in your opinion? Empty Re: How much is Modric worth in your opinion?

Post by Ent Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:03 pm

£22million is about right.

He doesn't score or assist many and rarely puts his foot in, is on relatively low wages and has minimal commercial value - he is also 25 and foreign so has neither premium of potentially being around for 10 years or being English RE quotas.

Spurs have a few quid though and are unlikely to let him go cheap, lets put this into context he is nowhere near the quality of Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta, Sneijder etc who do what he does better but score, assist and tackle.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:14 pm

About £25 mil is my valuation

But with at least 3 or 4 interested clubs it will end up closer to £40

He wouldn't get in the Barca side instead of any of there midfielders ,he is not on the same level as Xavi IMO
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:26 pm

30mill maximum for me. Great player, loads of premiership experience and a worthy replacement for the old Ginger Nut.

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:32 pm

Modric is the kind of player that is great at clubs like Spurs but would be considered a flop when playing for a bigger club. Although I think if he joined United in two years he'll be the "worlds greatest" whatever just like Carrick, Fletcher and other United players who are tremendously overhyped.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:56 pm

£30million would be roughly what I would offer for him I feel he would start for any team in the Premier League, he's still got 5 years left on his contract and Tottenham don't need the money so the price could easily go higher.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:52 pm

25 millon tops dosnt score enough goals for me.

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by BigPhil Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:05 pm

Premier League value: £32 million
Common Sense Evaluation: £15 million

BigPhil

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark2011 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:26 pm

I would say roughly 20-25 million.

Mark2011

Back to top Go down

Post by paulscholes Sat 02 Jul 2011, 3:42 pm

27mil

paulscholes

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:16 am

Disagree that Modric would not be so good at a stronger club than Spurs. He'd be fantastic at any of the clubs who have qualified for the Champions League. Alas, as a Spurs fan, I'm resigned to his leaving. Levy - and Spurs - are insulting fans' intelligence by saying Modric is not for sale at any price. ALL PLAYERS ARE FOR SALE IF THE MONEY IS RIGHT and it's daft for anyone to think otherwise. Similarly, ALL clubs are selling clubs if someone comes in with a crazy offer.
Fans will recall that Spurs held on to Berbatov until the last possible moment of the transfer window and then got £30 million for him. Reckon Modric will leave around Aug 31.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by jro786 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:22 am

i think modric is worth 25 million tops, on his day he can be difficult to play against, am a liverpool fan i do not think levy is making the right call, sell modric and buy aquillani for helf the amount, good bit of business there

jro786
jro786

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:26 am

Players don't have a fixed value.
Any of the chequebook managed clubs of the world could get desperate enough and pay whatever they want, Torres was deemed worth £50m a few months ago, and wasn't Kaka deemed worthy of a £100m a year or so back ?

I feel sorry for Spurs here, Arsenal have taken a number of players who have not fulfilled their talents over the years, turned them into good/great players then been subjected to the chequebook bullyboys when the player is perceived as the finished article, Modric is no different. As far as I'm aware he signed a 6 year contract that still has 3 years to run, make the player stay at the club for the 3 years left on his contract is my call, make a stand against players greed and foreign owners with $$$ to spend

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 07 Jul 2011, 11:59 am

Grizzly - commendable sentiments but it's all about money and also it's not a good idea to have an I-want-away player in the dressing room, although Ronaldo still managed to perform well for Man U in his final season .

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 07 Jul 2011, 12:21 pm

I'd say £25m

The prices for Britsih players are always massively inflated, only have to look at The money Liverpool have paid for Henderson, Carroll and Adam.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 07 Jul 2011, 12:46 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Grizzly - commendable sentiments but it's all about money and also it's not a good idea to have an I-want-away player in the dressing room, although Ronaldo still managed to perform well for Man U in his final season .

Completely agree.
I struggle with the mentality of players who agree to a deal worth 'X' then a year or so down the line they don't like it because their mates are earning 'Y'.
Have some respect for your manager and the club who are making you a multi-millionaire - until someone makes a 'wantaway' player stay at a club to see out their contract this attutude will unfortanately always exist.

Re Modric, I'm not convicned he definitely wants out, he's already ruled out handing in a transfer request today, maybe he is a little more honourable than most.....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

Well unlike a lot of the kiss-the-badge-but-then-move-elsewhere stars*, Modric has been more honest than some. He's said he'd like to stay but can't rule out going.
If only they all said that. Fans always think players are one-club loyal, too. Michael Owen talked a lot of sense when he said that supporters had to realise that players are not like them. I was amazed he'd been an Evertonian as a kid. Certainly didn't stop him playing well for Liverpool.
* Worst examples Sol Campbell Spurs to Arsenal, Alan Smith Leeds to Man U

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Hodgey Thu 07 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

He is nowhere near as good as Xavi.

Hodgey

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 07 Jul 2011, 4:50 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Well unlike a lot of the kiss-the-badge-but-then-move-elsewhere stars*, Modric has been more honest than some. He's said he'd like to stay but can't rule out going.
If only they all said that. Fans always think players are one-club loyal, too. Michael Owen talked a lot of sense when he said that supporters had to realise that players are not like them. I was amazed he'd been an Evertonian as a kid. Certainly didn't stop him playing well for Liverpool.
* Worst examples Sol Campbell Spurs to Arsenal, Alan Smith Leeds to Man U

It's always been said by ex-players that once they play football as a career, club loyalty from youth disappears and it's just a business and job to them. It has to be that way if they want to achieve all they are capable of achieving.

Robbie Fowler and Jamie Carragher were both Evertonians too -- but their alliegance is now solely with Liverpool because of what they achieved.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jul 2011, 5:41 pm

I think the Alan smith example is unfair. Leeds had been relegated and he needed to carry on in the top flight, united were the best team in for him and why wouldn't he want to test himself there, and on top of that a heavily in debt Leeds got 7 million for him, not a bad bit of business. (doesn't condoning him kissing united badge though)

As for modric he's a class act. Would walk into most midfield and would happily part with carrick and 25 million for him

Back to top Go down

Post by Dx Dan. Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:13 pm

£30 million.

Dx Dan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:26 pm

all i keep hearing from henry redknapp is £20 million for luka is a disgrace n players are going for more who are no where near the standard of luka! WHAT??? am i missing something what exactly has luka done last season to merit such praise. i mean look at the stats 3 goals 4 assists i believe for last season - for such an attacking playmakers thats shockin stats. joey barton assisted triple what luka did and scored bout 8 goals last season. it was bale (for about 2 months) and Van der vaart which carried spurs not luka.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:38 pm

I believe he had either the 3rd or 4th most completed passes in the Premier League last season, yes it was others providing the assists and scoring goals but you need someone to pass the ball around.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:31 pm

yer but c'mon michael essien has the most passes in the premier last season and what a great season he had. Modric is incredibly overated by redknapp sayin' he £30million. Goes missing in big games, relatively poor assists n goal strikerate for a player whos most active in the final third. I think he's a good player but give me Nasri or Sneijder over Luka anyday.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:26 am

Well I saw live most of Spurs home games last season and Modric was, at times, brilliant, and very effective in most matches. He had a poor game against Real Madrid in the Champs League quarter but was outstanding in the Inter Milan match at White Hart Lane.
I'll admit he's a poor finisher, with a weak shot, which is a pity as he so often gets into good positions just outside the penalty area. But I would say he would be an asset for any club interested.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:04 pm

I don't want to sound like a Muppet here (but I am probably going to anyway), but anyone who is judging Modric solely on stats and tangible end product such as assists and goals are seriously missing the point.

Goals and assists are an end to a means, they are vital of course, but they are not everything. The way people talk about them you'd think an assist was the beginning and the finish was the end. That's not how football works unfortunately, although SKY are doing their best to dumb it down to this kind of level, literally (hello Jamie). Quite often, it is the pass that leads to the assist that is the most important, as it's usually the one the opens up the play. Modric is usually that man, he keeps Spurs ticking over, helping them keep possession while remaining patient, is always available for the pass and always plays with his head up so is extremely aware of what's going on around him.

He was instrumental in their advances in the CL this season, every bit as much as Bale. He controlled most games he played in the competition, which is vital when playing European football. He wasn't great against Real Madrid, but then he was up against another midfield master in Xabi Alonso - another player who's value isn't truely shown by numbers and yet look at how Liverpool collapsed from 2nd to 7th in 1 season once he departed. Gerrard may have been Liverpool's engine that season, but Alonso was the clutch. A car won't go anywhere without a clutch.

Modric will be worth every penny Chelsea or whoever else spend on him, although I have a feeling he'll still be at White Hart Lane come September.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

liverbnz wrote:I don't want to sound like a Muppet here (but I am probably going to anyway), but anyone who is judging Modric solely on stats and tangible end product such as assists and goals are seriously missing the point.

Goals and assists are an end to a means, they are vital of course, but they are not everything. The way people talk about them you'd think an assist was the beginning and the finish was the end. That's not how football works unfortunately, although SKY are doing their best to dumb it down to this kind of level, literally (hello Jamie). Quite often, it is the pass that leads to the assist that is the most important, as it's usually the one the opens up the play. Modric is usually that man, he keeps Spurs ticking over, helping them keep possession while remaining patient, is always available for the pass and always plays with his head up so is extremely aware of what's going on around him.

He was instrumental in their advances in the CL this season, every bit as much as Bale. He controlled most games he played in the competition, which is vital when playing European football. He wasn't great against Real Madrid, but then he was up against another midfield master in Xabi Alonso - another player who's value isn't truely shown by numbers and yet look at how Liverpool collapsed from 2nd to 7th in 1 season once he departed. Gerrard may have been Liverpool's engine that season, but Alonso was the clutch. A car won't go anywhere without a clutch.

Modric will be worth every penny Chelsea or whoever else spend on him, although I have a feeling he'll still be at White Hart Lane come September.

Could'nt have said it better myself

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down