The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Top 50 boxers of all time list

+21
Colonial Lion
horizontalhero
joeyjojo618
HumanWindmill
paperbag_puncher
captain carrantuohil
oxring
TRUSSMAN66
Imperial Ghosty
Young_Towzer
The Galveston Giant
fearlessBamber
88Chris05
Fists of Fury
Eric Da Cat
Scottrf
Rowley
coxy0001
Mind the windows Tino.
BALTIMORA
The genius of PBF
25 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

My Top 50 boxers of all time list Empty My Top 50 boxers of all time list

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:43 am

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr
2. Sugar Ray Robinson
3. Muhammad Ali
4. Harry Greb
5. Henry Armstrong
6. Sugar Ray Leonard
7. Benny Leonard
8. Willie Pep
9. Tommy Hearns
10. Pernell Whitaker
11. Lennox Lewis
12. Joe Louis
13. Sam Langford
14. Gene Tunney
15. Ezzard Charles
16. Eder Jofre
17. Stanley Ketchel
18. Jack Johnson
19. Joe Gans
20. Bob Fitzsimmons
21. Roberto Duran
22. Bernard Hopkins
23. Marvin Hagler
24. Jimmy Wilde
25. Manny Pacquiao
26. Ricardo Lopez
27. Archie Moore
28. Barney Ross
29. Tony Canzoneri
30. Oscar De La Hoya
31. Roy Jones Junior
33. Alexis Arguello
33. Aaron Pryor
34. Mickey Walker
35. Sandy Saddler
36. Jake LaMotta
37. Evander Holyfield
38. Carlos Monzon
39. Larry Holmes
40. George Foreman
41. Julio Cesar Chavez
42. Charley Burley
43. Jack Dempsey
44. Michael Spinks
45. Ted Lewis
46. Joe Frazier
47. Salvador Sanchez
48. Erik Morales
49. Don Curry
50. Juan Manuel Marquez

Feel free to criticise my list. Add who you want on the list and who you dont. If im convinced I might change the list. You can also produce your own top 50 list.

Last edited by The genius of PBF on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:21 am; edited 3 times in total

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

My Top 50 boxers of all time list Empty Re: My Top 50 boxers of all time list

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:56 am

Looking over this, larger parts seem fine, but you know full well that no-one is gonna agree with your pick for #1. Knowing this, why not give a little justification for it? Explain why, and perhaps you won't receive the almost inevitable drubbing.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:43 am

Have to agree with Balti, the list looks fine in general but you have to wonder how much thought you have really given it seeing as you, inevitably, have FMJ at number one.

Don't have the time right this minute to produce a list but your top 10, minus Mayweather and Hearns, actually looks pretty decent.

There will obviously be massive variations on these kinds of lists, and for a brief example, I think you have LaMotta way too high and Charles too low, but in my opinion, without you giving some kind of justification for FMJ been at the top, it all becomes a bit redundant.

I may well be wrong, and I do salute you for producing a list, but I doubt you will find a single poster who thinks FMJ is at number one.

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:59 am

As per usual with these lists, where to start really.

Foreman too low, RJJ way too high, Villa knowhere, no Salvador Sanchez which is probably the most glaring ommission for me. And the poster in question has gone on his usual WUM with the #1 spot.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:02 am

Will ignore the obvious inflammatory choice of top spot but top of my head Jimmy Mclarnin desersves a place and Charles is way too low IMO

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:03 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Have to agree with Balti, the list looks fine in general but you have to wonder how much thought you have really given it seeing as you, inevitably, have FMJ at number one.

Don't have the time right this minute to produce a list but your top 10, minus Mayweather and Hearns, actually looks pretty decent.

There will obviously be massive variations on these kinds of lists, and for a brief example, I think you have LaMotta way too high and Charles too low, but in my opinion, without you giving some kind of justification for FMJ been at the top, it all becomes a bit redundant.

I may well be wrong, and I do salute you for producing a list, but I doubt you will find a single poster who thinks FMJ is at number one.

Forgot to say, Ricardo Lopez should be in there somewhere. He is one of the best, if not the best, boxers of the last 20 years. The only criteria he can be questioned on is quality of opposition and this stems more from fact that the lighter weights often slip under the radar somewhat. The reality is that he beat everyone in his era, could box, punch, move, he was never off his feet to my knowledge, retired undefeated and made a staggering amount of title defences. He had the lot and if you haven't seen much of him in action, then I urge you to check him out because he was quite simply brilliant, and certainly one of the best fighters of a "recent" vintage. Has to be a shoe-in for me, at the expense of quite a few different names on your list.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 am

rowley wrote:Will ignore the obvious inflammatory choice of top spot but top of my head Jimmy Mclarnin desersves a place and Charles is way too low IMO

Considered Mclarnin Rowley and I will edit the list and put Charles up higher now. thumbsup

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Have to agree with Balti, the list looks fine in general but you have to wonder how much thought you have really given it seeing as you, inevitably, have FMJ at number one.

Forgot to say, Ricardo Lopez should be in there somewhere. He is one of the best, if not the best, boxers of the last 20 years. The only criteria he can be questioned on is quality of opposition and this stems more from fact that the lighter weights often slip under the radar somewhat. The reality is that he beat everyone in his era, could box, punch, move, he was never off his feet to my knowledge, retired undefeated and made a staggering amount of title defences. He had the lot and if you haven't seen much of him in action, then I urge you to check him out because he was quite simply brilliant, and certainly one of the best fighters of a "recent" vintage. Has to be a shoe-in for me, at the expense of quite a few different names on your list.

Forgot about Ricardo Lopez I will add him in now.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:12 am

coxy0001 wrote:As per usual with these lists, where to start really.

Foreman too low, RJJ way too high, Villa knowhere, no Salvador Sanchez which is probably the most glaring ommission for me. And the poster in question has gone on his usual WUM with the #1 spot.

Considered them dont have a place on the list for them. Why dont you post your top 50 or 60 who would be ahead of Roy Jones. I would like a good laugh.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:14 am

Mayweather is too low, otherwise a good list.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:16 am

One other name that deserves a place is Barbados Joe Walcott, outside of Langford there are few if any fighters with such an impressive record against guys far bigger than themselves

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:16 am

The genius of PBF wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:As per usual with these lists, where to start really.

Considered them dont have a place on the list for them. Why dont you post your top 50 or 60 who would be ahead of Roy Jones. I would like a good laugh.

Sanchez has to be in there somewhere. Not sure where without going through it again but just take LaMotta out for him at least!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:17 am

Scottrf wrote:Mayweather is too low, otherwise a good list.

Thanks Scott, for making me laugh on a miserable, grey morning.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:19 am

Take out RJJ and put Sanchez or Villa in then, both those guys are more deserving of a place than Roy and i'm not sure anyone many would disagree with that.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:25 am

coxy0001 wrote:Take out RJJ and put Sanchez or Villa in then, both those guys are more deserving of a place than Roy and i'm not sure anyone many would disagree with that.

I have put Sanchez in but Roy Jones deserves a place on the list. thumbsup

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Da Cat Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:25 am

It's p..s poor it really is

Take another jump into the education of boxing fool
Eric Da Cat
Eric Da Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:29 am

I personally would prefer to see these lists done without current boxers listed for the simple reason they all have ample opportunity to add or detract from their legacy. The obvious example is if Manny and Floyd ever fight, have to think on the back of this one of them gets a massive bump and obviously the opposite is true for the loser. Similarly should they never fight, you have to count this against them as they will have failed to establish they are undoubtedly the best of their era.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:29 am

The genius of PBF wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:Take out RJJ and put Sanchez or Villa in then, both those guys are more deserving of a place than Roy and i'm not sure anyone many would disagree with that.

I have put Sanchez in but Roy Jones deserves a place on the list. thumbsup

Fine, not getting drawn into that again for all of another 2 weeks so will let it go for the sake of spending another day arguing about it!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:40 am

Rowley, whilst I agree with your principle, it would have robbed us of this thread. Which is a gem, I'm sure you would agree.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 am

So tell us: whose list did you add Mayweather to the top of?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Rowley, whilst I agree with your principle, it would have robbed us of this thread. Which is a gem, I'm sure you would agree.

A price I am willing to pay

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:48 am

Presume you have Prime Mike Tyson in ahead of Nr.1 contender FMJ, maybe as Diamond Champion, Champion Emeritus or Super-Champion?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:49 am

Too low; Charles, Jofre, Ross, Duran, Moore, Chavez, Walker, Fitzsimmons.

Too high; Mayweather, Hearns, Lennox Lewis, De la Hoya, Holyfield.

Names I'd put in; 'Barbados' Joe Walcott, McLarnin, Villa, Carlos Ortiz, Bivins, Olivares and maybe one or two others.

Names I'd take out; Marquez, Curry, Morales, Frazier, Dempsey, Foreman, La Motta, Pryor, De la Hoya, Lennox Lewis.

Cheers for posting, PBF!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:50 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Presume you have Prime Mike Tyson in ahead of Nr.1 contender FMJ, maybe as Diamond Champion, Champion Emeritus or Super-Champion?
No blueprint to beat him. Robinson had 19 losses, Ali had 5, how could anyone say Floyd isn't the best?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:51 am

Ottke had less losses than Ali Scott, pretty happy having Ali above him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:52 am

No blueprint to beat Ottke.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:57 am

88Chris05 wrote:Too low; Charles, Jofre, Ross, Duran, Moore, Chavez, Walker, Fitzsimmons.

Too high; Mayweather, Hearns, Lennox Lewis, De la Hoya, Holyfield.

Names I'd put in; 'Barbados' Joe Walcott, McLarnin, Villa, Carlos Ortiz, Bivins, Olivares and maybe one or two others.

Names I'd take out; Marquez, Curry, Morales, Frazier, Dempsey, Foreman, La Motta, Pryor, De la Hoya, Lennox Lewis.

Cheers for posting, PBF!

No Lopez, Chris?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:59 am

You know what, Scott, I think you're right. My new revised all time top ten; 1) Floyd Mayweather Jr 2) Joe Calzaghe 3) Sven Ottke 4) Jack McAuliffe 5) Rocky Marciano 6) Terry Marsh 7) Laszlo Papp 8.) Ricardo Lopez 9) Edwin Valero 10) Ike Ibeabuchi.

No plueprint, lads. No blueprint.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:01 am

Chris, no Tyson Fury? I'm astounded, and rather disaappointed.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:02 am

Nice list Chris, would be tempted to bump Marsh if only his aim was a bit better. (allegedly)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:08 am

Quite a bit of effort to say that you really like FMJ.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:09 am

fearlessBamber wrote:Quite a bit of effort to say that you really like FMJ.
I doubt he wrote the other 49 himself.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 am

88Chris05 wrote:You know what, Scott, I think you're right. My new revised all time top ten; 1) Floyd Mayweather Jr 2) Joe Calzaghe 3) Sven Ottke 4) Jack McAuliffe 5) Rocky Marciano 6) Terry Marsh 7) Laszlo Papp 8.) Ricardo Lopez 9) Edwin Valero 10) Ike Ibeabuchi.

Poor list. No Pichit Sitbangprachan - IBF Flyweight Champion and rather incredibly, no Benjamin Brain - English Bareknuckle Heavyweight Champion.

WUM

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 am

He really, 'really likes' him........... Wink

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 am

Scottrf wrote:
I doubt he wrote the other 49 himself.

No doubt.

Weird juxtaposition of man-crush and a decent list.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:22 pm

88Chris05 wrote:You know what, Scott, I think you're right. My new revised all time top ten; 1) Floyd Mayweather Jr 2) Joe Calzaghe 3) Sven Ottke 4) Jack McAuliffe 5) Rocky Marciano 6) Terry Marsh 7) Laszlo Papp 8.) Ricardo Lopez 9) Edwin Valero 10) Ike Ibeabuchi.

There was a guy someone found, on the boxrec thread, who had a record of 0-0-0. SURELY he should be on here..?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:25 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:

There was a guy someone found, on the boxrec thread, who had a record of 0-0-0. SURELY he should be on here..?

I hope so Balti because that is my current record, both amateur and pro.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:30 pm

rowley wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

I hope so Balti because that is my current record, both amateur and pro.

Come to think of it Rowley, it's mine too. I had never considered myself as a top 50 P4P'r but perhaps I am doing myself an injustice.

Although saying that, I think I may have lost a clear cut decision to my older brother about 25 years ago in the living room so he must have my blueprint.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:47 pm

Basically has the same list as most with all the old timers there except Mayweather has been put to the top. I'm suprised there aren't more modern boxers there.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:17 pm

No McCallum? mmmm. Obviously i knew Mayweather would be number 1, never seen comments so bias, worse than d4, far worse. I have no doubt you DON'T think Mayweather's number 1 but put it for a WUM, Baltimora, Coxy, etc i wouldn't try and debate why Mayweather's number 1, he could get knocked out by Ortiz, then again in a rematch, then by Hatton coming out of retirement and he'd still rate him number 1. No i'm not obsessed either before the predictable rage fuelled response comes back laughing ....But no McCallum haha?, Leonard number 7 and Mayweather number 1, wins over Hatton, Castillo, Baldomir, Judah don't come near to wins over Duran, Hearns, Benitez and Hagler. Also placing him above the best ever in Sugar Ray Robinson and Ali is plain ignorance,

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Such obsessive rage there, Towzer... zen

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Such obsessive rage there, Towzer... zen
haha it's what i'll get called for having an opinion on the list though Balti, if he walked up to Burt Sugar, other experts and presented him with that list, burt would refer him back to the Mentalist unit

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Almost as bad saying Cotto is on the same level as Arguello or Hatton would beat Pryor, mental unit for you too then

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Ali
Robinson
Armstrong
Leonard
Greb
Pep
Saddler
Langford
B Leonard
Hopkins
Charles
Mayweather
Duran
Chavez
jones jr
Fitzsimmons
Burley
Jofre
whittaker
Arguello

Top 20 or so for me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Nice list but no way Duran is below Floyd for me. Nor should Hopkins beat Charles. Mind you - probably the right people, just in the wrong order. And Wilde instead of Arguello (but that's just personal preference).
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Mayweather for me comes before a guy rolled like a bum......end of.

Take Leonard out of the equation who fought the wrong fight and Duran's cv looks a lot less appetising..

People forget that when Leonard "boxed" he quit like a dog.

No better than Mayweather's who's beaten 4 top 10 at the time p4pers..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Two of whom were Marquez and Hatton, said before that Mamby rates higher as a light welterweight than the Hitman so the win isn't as good, as for Marquez the less said about the reasons why that isn't a defining win the better.

You can try and alter history all you want Truss but Duran beat Leonard fair and square which is a far far better win than anything Mayweather has achieved or could possibly hope to achieve

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Hmm. Buchanan, deJesus, Leonard (because you NEVER take 1 fight out the equation - take ODLH out and Floyd looks average), Barkley at 38. As well as a host of wins like Kobayashi, Ishimatsu, Mamby and Marcel - all of which are at the least the equal and realistically superior to Baldomir. And Hatton147. And not fighting Tszyu but fighting Gatti instead.

Didn't realise you held the "0" as so sacrosanct.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:02 pm

skill, longevity, titles........all Floydy.....

Hatton - unbeaten, Marquez, Mosley, DelaHoya.etc etc etc.....11 years at the top "unbeaten.."

benitez, Laing, Sims, Dejesus, Hearns (murdered),Leonard when he didn't BRAWL....

He got a gift against Barkley the same guy who had 4 defeats against garbage and lost 9-0 to Toney and was being hammered off Hearns before the lottery win...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:08 pm

Lets just highlight Durans losses when he was fighting considerably bigger men, he was barely a Welterweight let alone above that

Kobayashi, Marcel, De Jesus, Buchanan, Ishimatsu, Mamby, Palomino, Cuevas, Moore, Barkley and Castro is more than a match for Mayweathers list of wins

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next