The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2 - Film of the Year? Of the Decade?

+21
dyrewolfe
Fists of Fury
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
az1988
Dass
Crimey
ADMIN
Adam D
Marsh
Thomond
davidl1061
Pr4wn
Beer
Scottrf
Gonzini
Gregers
Mat
Nay
hodge
SirJohnnyEnglish
legendkillar
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2 - Film of the Year? Of the Decade? - Page 2 Empty Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2 - Film of the Year? Of the Decade?

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:03 am

First topic message reminder :

As a massive Harry Potter fan I am going out of my mind in anticipation for the final instalment of the series this Friday.
Harry Potter has not just gripped the nation, but the world.
For anyone who has not read the books, I really recommend them.

Who else is looking forward to seeing this?
Is it the biggest film of the year? Of the Decade?

(please do not post spoilers unless in a 'spoiler tag' in consideration for those who have not read the books)

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2 - Film of the Year? Of the Decade? - Page 2 Empty Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2 - Film of the Year? Of the Decade?

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:24 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2 - Film of the Year? Of the Decade? - Page 2 Empty Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2 - Film of the Year? Of the Decade?

Post by Crimey Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Electric Demon wrote:
invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Really? Really? Really?

Spoiler:

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:36 pm

Really!

Spoiler:

This isn't really a spoiler so I won't box it - but you can delete if inappropriate Leaky.

There wasn't enough Bellatrix in the film - Helena Bonham Carter is immense in the series.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:12 pm

I agree. Her and Alan Rickman were the best parts of the series, I felt they really nailed the characters spot on.

I recently watched the first two Harry Potter films again and I have to say that Richard Harris was a much better Dumbledore than Michael Gambdon.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:19 pm

I agree.

I watched the whole series again before watching the final film, and it really is a sensational series. I like how the films get visibly darker with each passing year (the sky and the lighting etc.), reflecting the tone of the story. It makes the passing of time feel very ominous, even before you put the actual storyline on top of it.

A very simple but clever touch in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:44 pm

Great film, but doesn't eclipse Avatar or Lord of the Rings, for me.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:46 pm

The thing that always irritated me about Michael Gambon's Dumbledore is the Irish accent, why did he give Dumbldore an Irish accent?! It makes no sense. Crying or Very sad

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:00 pm

I liked Gambon, although i kept wanting him to say...

"Welcome to the layer cake, son'

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:07 am

Not that I thought he was bad or anything but I felt Richard Harris' Dumbledore was a bit remote / detached.

Then again, Dumbledore isn't a big presence in the first 2 films - the Mirror of Erised scene in Philosopher's Stone aside (maybe the scene in his office near the end of Chamber of Secrets too)

He only really starts getting more screen time from Prisoner of Azkaban onwards. Harris to me came across as a proper headmaster, whereas Gambon's Dumbledore seems a bit more of a maverick and a bit more of a man of action (as much as any elderly gent in a long robe can be anyway).

Can't say I noticed an Irish accent myself.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:21 am

I noticed it, and it's definitely not my imagination as he has talked about it in interviews.

I just feel the Dumbledore Gambon plays is far too cold and strangely mean, where as I think that Harris was much closer to the book version of Dumbledore, although it would have been interesting to see how Harris' character adapted to the changes in Dumbledore throughout the series.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by footballcrazy Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:51 pm

great film but defo not the film of the decade

footballcrazy

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:46 pm

I don't think either Harris or Gambon did justice to Dumbledore. In the books he was meant to have a spring in his step and be cheeky and quirky. The role as portrayed by those two made him out to be some sort of wizened old hack.

I always thought Stephen Fry could have offered something good to the character.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:02 am

@Invincible: watched Goblet of Fire again at the weekend and see what you mean entirely about the Irish accent. Strange that it only crops up in a few scenes though. Easy to miss if you're distracted at the wrong moments.

Also is it me or does David Tennant not get a mention in the credits for his role as Barty Crouch Jr?

@MBTGOG: Not sure about Stephen Fry. He's too much of a gent IMO and AD is quite a complex character: caring but mysterious, a bit aloof and a bit of a rebel. Can't say I've ever seen Fry play a role like that. That said, I think he could have been good as one of the other teachers at Hogwarts.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:19 am

dyrewolfe wrote:@Invincible: watched Goblet of Fire again at the weekend and see what you mean entirely about the Irish accent. Strange that it only crops up in a few scenes though. Easy to miss if you're distracted at the wrong moments.

Also is it me or does David Tennant not get a mention in the credits for his role as Barty Crouch Jr?

@MBTGOG: Not sure about Stephen Fry. He's too much of a gent IMO and AD is quite a complex character: caring but mysterious, a bit aloof and a bit of a rebel. Can't say I've ever seen Fry play a role like that. That said, I think he could have been good as one of the other teachers at Hogwarts.

Good point but Dumbledore hid that mysteriousness behind his quirky nature. Have a look at Fry and the way the knowledge he for small weird facts on QI and that really is very similar to Dumbledore.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:32 am

I think Fry could actually fit that description wolf, he has had his own share of demons.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:11 am

Watched this the other day and I had to turn it off, not because it was necessarily a bad film but more out of anger at the lack of closeness to the book, a few little things that could have been done properly could have made me stick to the end of the film. Am I the only one who got annoyed at this film?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:21 am

Weirldy Derby, this is the only one of the HP films where I don't get completely annoyed by some of the changes they make. Usually I get really bothered by it, but in this one it didn't seem to matter so much.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:20 am

I must say I saw the film for the first time a couple of days ago and thought it was really good. Nice and dark sort of atmosphere, which made it IMO the best of the lot. Possibly because I haven't read the books for a while, so the changes didn't bother me.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:18 pm

I thought it was the best film of the lot as well MfC Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:02 pm

I thought the film was good but I think the ending should have been much closer to the book, I was looking forward to seeing the way they recreated the ending of the book and then they changed it!

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:05 am

I'm glad you lot enjoyed it, it was just little things they changed which probably aren't really significant but still annoyed me, I didn't make it to the ending but I'll rewatch it sometime fairly soon to see if that can annoy me too.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:08 am

I watched the films before reading the books so that I wasn't disappointed in the films.
The difficulty with this was avoiding the spoilers for a whole year after reading half of the last book!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:11 am

lol i still havent seen it, however i know who dies and how...

is there any point in me still seeing it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:34 am

Yes CF, its a great film

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:38 am

cricketfan90 wrote:lol i still havent seen it, however i know who dies and how...

is there any point in me still seeing it?
If you don't mind it drifting away from the book in some parts then yes, the question is a little stupid though CF I'm sure you've watched many films more than once and unless you have memory problems I imagine it's because you enjoy them and not to refresh your memory.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:55 am

Derbyblue wrote:I'm glad you lot enjoyed it, it was just little things they changed which probably aren't really significant but still annoyed me, I didn't make it to the ending but I'll rewatch it sometime fairly soon to see if that can annoy me too.

The ending disappointed me, so you may well be the same Derby.

By in which I mean the final battle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2