The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who else will Liverpool sign ?

+12
Sam
Brady12
formerly known as Sam
d260005p
jimbohammers
liverbnz
JDandfries
Tranquil Chaos
Soldier_Of_Fortune
LivinginItaly
Crimey
Kenny
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who else will Liverpool sign ? Empty Who else will Liverpool sign ?

Post by Kenny Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:14 pm

Having signed Henderson , Adam , Doni ,Downing and with them being linked to so many more players who else will Liverpool sign before the transfer window closes ?

Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Who else will Liverpool sign ? Empty Re: Who else will Liverpool sign ?

Post by Crimey Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:15 pm

A new left back seems the most likely, I don't think we're desperate for it, but if we do sign a new left back I hope we stop.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:26 pm

I can honestly see 2 -3 more players coming in , a lb ( but i would like Robinson given a chance ) , id like to see a top ch aswell .

Just glad to see Fenway coming through on promise of new signings .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:43 am

Looks like next season could be exciting for us, will be interesting to see how the King will set the team up.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:42 am

Its funny to buzz off all the people who said that we wouldn't be spending any money without selling players first.

Its good it early signings who have a chance to bed into the team rather late August signings thrown into the deep end.

I reckons we need a first team left and another striker.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:14 pm

I think they need some more young, British players to sign for inflated fees. Whistle

Adam - £8m, Henderson - £25m, Carroll - £35m, Suarez - £23m, Downing - £20m, Doni - £2m. That's just over £100m spent on new players this year, with the only notable sale being Torres (£50m), but I'm guessing these new guys won't be on small wages either.

In my opinion they need to strengthen their defence. It's all well having Flanaghan, Wilson and Kelly for the future, but they need some experienced quality beside them. Agger is the only guy at the back that stands out to me; Carragher is not getting any better and Johnson defensive skills are questionable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Imo we will strengthen the defence , lot of people think we are paying over the odds for players but it does appear the going rate ,figures stated do seem to be wrong apart from Carroll and Suarez .

Transfer market has gone ridiculous no player no matter who they are is worth the prices been paid and the wages are obscene , it will NEVER happen but a wage salary cap should be brought in .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Which figures are wrong? All the ones I posted seem about right- except Doni but I heard it was in the region of 3m euros.

As a club with a growing wage bill and I'd guess a lowering income, due to lack of European football, will this summer spending just be a one off to show something to the fans, but then start to build on the younger players they have from now on? I know they have new owners, but surely when the financial figures for last season come out in May and it turns out they've lost money again, and they look at their summer spending- will they start to regret it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:04 pm

Henderson was 18 mill , Adam 6.5 mill , Downing 18.5 mill all were undisclosed so actual price not known but these are the prices from most reports .
Doni do not know fee as it doesnt seem to be reported anywhere , it does say Roma paid him 1 million euro to leave though .
As for lower income Liverpool have recently signed the biggest shirt deal in football with a subsidury of New Balance supplying kits from next season . Plus the fact the club is no longer in debt unlike others . Yes no european football will cost us this year but the club appear to be a favourable position under Fenway .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Ah, must have read different reports at the time. But that all still adds up to a big spending spree. The shirt deal covers the Adam and Downing transfer so I suppose it hasn't been that much outlay.

I didn't realise how much the shirt sponsor was until I looked- only expected it to be £10m per year! The sponsor money alone should make up a little bit to no European football.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:43 pm

I agree the spending has been a lot more then i expected and doesnt look like its finished yet with Cissokho apparantley arriving at liverpool airport this evening .

I do think a few players will leave also which should help balance the books .

I also like the way Fenway are pushing the club in Asia and building profile in US 2 very rich markets .

Im allowing myself to get carried away with the way things are looking at the club but like any fan im just glad that the other 2 yanks have gone.

do i think we can win the league or a cup ? Probably not this season but we have more of a chance this year then last imo so who knows what we can achieve.
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Tranquil Chaos Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:52 pm

i think a LB is needed, cissokho would be a good signing, id like another big man just incase carroll does keep picking up injuries, would have loved to get demba ba in, but i dont think he'd have settled for a place on the bench, i still have a few concerns over centre backs, im still not entirely comfortable with skrtel, and agger, although i am a fan of him, is too injury prone
Tranquil Chaos
Tranquil Chaos

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:03 am

Liverpool need a whole new defence, I cant imagine Kenny not addressing that, so I think Cahill might be the next signing

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:05 am

JDandfries wrote:Liverpool need a whole new defence, I cant imagine Kenny not addressing that, so I think Cahill might be the next signing

What gives you that idea? Our defence has been one of the best and most consistent in recent years. We could do with a left back, and possibly another centre back, but I think the idea we NEED a whole new defence is ludicrous!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:10 am

Statistically that may well be the case.

But, is Carragher still up to it?

Can you rely on Agger to play more than 10 games?

Are Skrtel and Johnson good enough?

Who is your starting left back??

Whole new defence? I'd say so!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:25 am

We don't need a whole new defence, don't be so ridiculous.

Anyway, it seems that most of our buying is done, so I'd say Kenny is happy with what he's got. It's now time to get rid of those who are getting a lot but offering little in return.

Edit: Moreover, football is a team sport so why you are singling out individuals is beyond me. Kenny proved that the team could defend well as a unit in the last 4 months. Johnson seemed rejuvenated, hopefully Agger has a bit more luck with injuries and Skrtel can reproduce his pre 2009 form. Plus, we have Kelly, Flannagan and Robinson who all cut their teeth in the 1st team last season.

Last edited by liverbnz on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:28 am

JDandfries wrote:Statistically that may well be the case.

But, is Carragher still up to it?

Can you rely on Agger to play more than 10 games?

Are Skrtel and Johnson good enough?

Who is your starting left back??

Whole new defence? I'd say so!

The thing is statistics are what matters...at the end of the day, if we concede less goals than other teams that's good, whether or not you think the players are world class or not, all that matters is the numbers.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:19 am

JDandfries wrote:Statistically that may well be the case. ANSWERS

But, is Carragher still up to it? YES

Can you rely on Agger to play more than 10 games? NOT SURE

Are Skrtel and Johnson good enough? YES

Who is your starting left back?? HOPE TO SIGN SOMEONE

Whole new defence? I'd say so! WELL I WOULDNT

Erm stastisically is all that matters?!? 🤦

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:31 am

Of course it is about opinions, in mine, Carragher was finished 3 years ago, Agger is too injury prone to be relied upon (which is a shame cos he is a good player)

Skrtel and Johnson aint that good IMO, so I would say that the priority should have been defence, especially given some of the comments on the old 606 from LFC fans who berrated Johnson and Skrtel most of last season!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:36 am

Yes, but if the statistics say that we have a good defence, that is ALL that matters.

I don't think anybody is claiming our defence is perfect, and of course it could do with some improvement. But no where near was it our priority, which was clearly getting in some decent creative midfielders and wingers.

I think Skrtel and Johnson get a lot of flack which they don't deserve, Skrtel played every game for us last season and I think is a much improved player, he lost a lot of confidence around 2008 but seems to have regained it now he is a much more important member of our squad. Johnson is a scapegoat for many, he's good at attacking, and isn't as bad at defending as people like to make out.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:42 am

Surely you don't think stats are all that matters?

All the statistics say is that you don't concede alot of goals, whether that is down to a good defence, or IMO having the best goalkeeper and playing negatively, that is all open to interpratation and of course opinion.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:57 am

JDandfries wrote:Surely you don't think stats are all that matters?

All the statistics say is that you don't concede alot of goals, whether that is down to a good defence, or IMO having the best goalkeeper and playing negatively, that is all open to interpratation and of course opinion.

Not that I am looking to debate how good Pepe Reina, but his saves to shots ratio is one of the worst in the league.

Also, when Roy was manager and we were playing extremely negative football we scored 24 goals in 20 games whilst conceding 27. Under Kenny, his negative (in your opinion) football contributed 30 goals in 15 games, along with 8 clean sheets and only the 12 goals conceded - a better goal difference than anyone else in the league during his period in charge of Liverpool from January last season.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:02 pm

Im not a Liverpool fan but are you actually happy with the signings so far?

Henderson for me looks nothing special, Downing is ok, but with that money you could of got Mata, Adam is a good player but is he better than Lucas?

How will your team line up? You seem to have like 20 midfielders now.

--------------------Lucas----------Adam----------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Kuyt---------------------Gerrard----------------------Downing

Where does that leave Maxi, Henderson, J.Cole, either one of Suarez/Carroll?

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:05 pm

I would expect Kuyt to spend much more time on the bench this year with Suarez on the left and Downing on the right.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:01 pm

Long ball is negative football, whichever way you dress it up, and with Carrol in the team that is all Liverpool will be reduced to.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:53 pm

JDandfries wrote:Long ball is negative football, whichever way you dress it up, and with Carrol in the team that is all Liverpool will be reduced to.

Who cares if its long ball like Stoke/Bolton or fancy footy like Arsenal. You play to your teams strengths and if it works so be it. No one will complain if you win 3-0 with 3 crosses and 3 goals from Caroll.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:58 pm

JDandfries wrote:Long ball is negative football, whichever way you dress it up, and with Carrol in the team that is all Liverpool will be reduced to.

Did you watch us after Kenny came in? We certainly weren't playing long ball football, we were playing some really good pass and move football.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:04 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:

Did you watch us after Kenny came in? We certainly weren't playing long ball football, we were playing some really good pass and move football.

Liverpool played some very good football at the end of last season , Carroll gives us options simple as that .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Admit it, you haven't watched Liverpool much have you? You're hopping from one assumption to the next and providing no basis to back them up. Big man up front so must be playing long ball. Glen Johnson can't defend. Carragher is past it. Negative Liverpool. All crabby assumptions. Either back them up with some facts or wum some place else.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:52 pm

liverbnz wrote:

Admit it, you haven't watched Liverpool much have you? You're hopping from one assumption to the next and providing no basis to back them up. Big man up front so must be playing long ball. Glen Johnson can't defend. Carragher is past it. Negative Liverpool. All crabby assumptions. Either back them up with some facts or wum some place else.

To be fair mate, Andy Carrol is no way worth £35 million, Carragher is past his best and we all know that, just look at him at the world cup and over the last season. Johnson is great going forward but rudey poo.com at defending and thats a general perception from the whole of England except Anfield lol (I defend my team too (Stoke) lol). But i think Liverpool have done amazing to recover from the first half of the season last year, they played some quality footy under Kenny (The King), and you never know what will happen next year. I still feel that they need another season to gel together, then in the following campaign mount a top 2 finish. See what happens, best of luck this season, see you at the Brit! lol Wink

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:03 pm

d260005p wrote:
liverbnz wrote:

To be fair mate, Andy Carrol is no way worth £35 million, Carragher is past his best and we all know that, just look at him at the world cup and over the last season. Johnson is great going forward but rudey poo.com at defending and thats a general perception from the whole of England except Anfield lol (I defend my team too (Stoke) lol). But i think Liverpool have done amazing to recover from the first half of the season last year, they played some quality footy under Kenny (The King), and you never know what will happen next year. I still feel that they need another season to gel together, then in the following campaign mount a top 2 finish. See what happens, best of luck this season, see you at the Brit! lol Wink

I'm not sure how Andy Carroll's price tag is relevant in this conversation. Who cares what we bought him for? Whether it be £35m, 35p or a sack of spuds and yo-yo.

As for Carragher, I agree. He's past his best. Still a great reader of the game, but is lacking pace. His ability on the ball, whilst never much use, has worsened, especially in the early part of last season.

Glen Johnson and his media-labelled tag of being a man with one wooden leg and half a brain cell when defending. Is Glen Johnson the best defender in the world? No, definitely not. Is he as bad as depicted by some sections of the media and the Joe Bloggers? Not even close. One thing I will say is that you'll struggle to find any full back in the world that doesn't have flaws. They can't be every place at once.

Edit: Actually, I'd say one more thing on Johnson. I wouldn't swap him for any other RB in the league. There's not too many other players in the Liverpool squad I would say that about either.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:25 pm

liverbnz wrote:
d260005p wrote:
liverbnz wrote:

I'm not sure how Andy Carroll's price tag is relevant in this conversation. Who cares what we bought him for? Whether it be £35m, 35p or a sack of spuds and yo-yo.

As for Carragher, I agree. He's past his best. Still a great reader of the game, but is lacking pace. His ability on the ball, whilst never much use, has worsened, especially in the early part of last season.

Glen Johnson and his media-labelled tag of being a man with one wooden leg and half a brain cell when defending. Is Glen Johnson the best defender in the world? No, definitely not. Is he as bad as depicted by some sections of the media and the Joe Bloggers? Not even close. One thing I will say is that you'll struggle to find any full back in the world that doesn't have flaws. They can't be every place at once.

Edit: Actually, I'd say one more thing on Johnson. I wouldn't swap him for any other RB in the league. There's not too many other players in the Liverpool squad I would say that about either.

Wasnt taking a dig matey, just stating that Caroll is over-priced as are most footballers, Carragher is past his best and that Johson cant defend. So you wouldnt swap Johson with the likes of Bacary Sagna? He is a class act who has speed, attacking ability, defends like a Trojan. World Class. I mean im a Stoke fan and i watch Wilkinson dig in everyday, and id rather have Johnson because he is brilliant, but would i have him rather then anyone else at RB in the league? No way. Second possibly.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:41 pm

I know you weren't having a dig, I was just debating with ya - in a friendly manner Wink. I think prices of footballers in essentially irrelevant when talking about how they perform on the pitch. It's nice for a bit of banter in the pub or something, but how they perform on the pitch is all that matters. If Carroll scores goals, then the price tag will be forgotton. What I will say is, he needs a lot of refining, but I have faith in Kenny and the coaching staff to get him fine tuned - then he could be even more of a beast to play against.

As for Johnson - I'll stand by my point. I haven't seen much of Sagna, but what I have seen impresses me, but I see the same flaws in him defensively that many label against Johnson. And Johnson 'can't defend'? That's just not true now is it. I could show you far more proof of him being a good defender than you could the opposite, especially these last 4/5 months.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:02 pm

Carragher was ammense when he returned from his shoulder injury. He wasnt blessed with pace in the first place and his reading of the game is second to none. Also he is our voice on the pitch and telling the youngers where they should be at any given time, and this advice my friend (especially mid game) is priceless.

Johnson has always had this cliche of he cant defend but if you actual watch Liverpool week in week out I think you would disagree. He is bound to get caught out every now and again as he is an attacking full back!

I am happy with the signings we have made so far. Downing for width and delevery, perfect foil for Carrol. Adam with his set pieces and killer balls. Henderson for his workrate and also his delevery. The 3 players we have sign were all in the top 10 for chances created in the Prem last season. Plus with Suarez, I think Champions League place is a must.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:38 pm

Champions League is a must in order to remain sustainable for a team of this size and with this amount of spend. No top Prem team can be rebuilt in just one window so it may take time for Kenny to get in all the players he believes are required to fight for the title. Right now Liverpool just have to target 4th and they could do that.

If I was a Liverpool fan I'd be concerned that the club are still heavilly relient on both Gerrard and Carragher despite both losing pace and consistentcy. On the up side the signings that have been made should give Liverpool more attacking options and better set piece delivery.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Last season we spent most of Kenny's term without Gerrard and were playing some of the best football we ever had, of course that was only a short period but I genuinly believe we're no longer heavily reliant on Steven Gerrard. I am not suggesting that we no longer need Gerrard as he is still, despite his age, a player every team in the world would want, somebody with that much sheer passion and drive but with the talent to back it up is a player that doesn't come around that often, but if Gerrard were to get injured for a long period of time next year I wouldn't be as worried as I would have been for the past couple of years.

I do think perhaps the defence is a bit more reliant on Carragher, who's leadership and organisational skills have helped a lot, but hopefully Martin Kelly isn't too far off being able to start taking over Carragher's role in the centre, or even have the Agger and Skrtel partnership.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:21 pm

It actually could go to show that relying on Gerrard has been to teh teams detriment for so long, what happens if when Stevie returns things get worse, what then?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:33 pm

Left back needed probably Ryan Bertrand for about £25m.... & they'll need a striker when they find out Carroll is too injury prone & nowhere near good enough to command a £35m fee..... Freddie Sears for £30m?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:43 pm

It actually could go to show that relying on Gerrard has been to teh teams detriment for so long, what happens if when Stevie returns things get worse, what then?.

Surely nobody is bigger than the team!

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Fergie and Rooney have both said they are wary of Liverpool claiming they will challenge for the title. I'm not so sure, and I think the only reason they've said is to put pressure on us so it looks like we have underachieved if we don't challenge.

What I would be happy with this year is to get back into the Champions League which I think is a realistic aim.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Brady12 wrote:Left back needed probably Ryan Bertrand for about £25m....

Hopefully your joking, hes just signed a new contract with us (Chelsea)

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by antoineclarke Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:52 pm

I think strikers will be fine.

It's the performance of defence that concerns me. We need to concede less goals than anyone else this coming season. That probably means a couple of defenders (very pleased with Doni!) but a lot of working together.

If we can concede less than two goals in all the games this coming season, get clean sheets over the 20 mark, we'll be close to the top.
antoineclarke
antoineclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by antoineclarke Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:01 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Fergie and Rooney have both said they are wary of Liverpool claiming they will challenge for the title. I'm not so sure, and I think the only reason they've said is to put pressure on us so it looks like we have underachieved if we don't challenge.

What I would be happy with this year is to get back into the Champions League which I think is a realistic aim.

I agree that's what M*n *td are up to: mind games. But they're clearly a little bit worried.

First or second with a technical chance of winning Premiership on the last day. That's got to be the aim. Knocking out two teams above us would be OK. FA Cup win with clean sheets to the final would be nice.

Little things: no repeat of Blackpool doing the double. No letting in equalisers or winners to the other side in final 15 minutes. No letting in three goals and only two when one is a refereeing error (wrong penalty or clear offside or a beachball when we're at Sunderland).

So much went wrong in the early part of last season (Riera having to leave, Cole red card first match, Torres unfit, the whole Hodgson/owners issue) that we must aim higher this time.
antoineclarke
antoineclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by antoineclarke Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Sam wrote:
Brady12 wrote:Left back needed probably Ryan Bertrand for about £25m....

Hopefully your joking, hes just signed a new contract with us (Chelsea)

laughing
antoineclarke
antoineclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:18 pm

antoineclarke wrote:I think strikers will be fine.

It's the performance of defence that concerns me. We need to concede less goals than anyone else this coming season. That probably means a couple of defenders (very pleased with Doni!) but a lot of working together.

If we can concede less than two goals in all the games this coming season, get clean sheets over the 20 mark, we'll be close to the top.

You do know Doni is a goalkeeper? And not a great one at that.

Liverpool to finish 5th again this season I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by antoineclarke Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Yes, a good spare goalkeeper is excellent.

And we finished 6th.
antoineclarke
antoineclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:39 pm

Ah, so I've markd you down to improve this season! Very Happy

Doni on roughly £50k a week as 'backup' is expensive. I'm pretty sure they could have picked up someone on a free, or cheaper, on lower wages. Unless Reina's not expected to stay at the club for the season, or won't play the majority of league games then it just seems an odd transfer.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Yes, a good spare goalkeeper is excellent

Brad Jones who has premier league experience and who is already at the club on half the wages of Doni not good enough to play the 5 or so games a season Reina misses?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Can you tell me were you have read how much we paid for Doni ? We signed him on a free and Roma actually have paid 1 million towards his wages so a great buy for me .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:34 pm

I should think the million was to end his contract early, a golden farewell as it's known in banking circles.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next