The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs India 1st test debate

+23
I hate you
screamingaddabs
Carrotdude
Day V Lately
Pal Joey
GSC
dyrewolfe
BATH_BTGOG
Raymond
alfie
Gregers
dummy_half
Duty281
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
liverbnz
Cowshot
hodge
robbo277
Stellar Key
longhopmerchant
msp83
eirebilly
Liam_Main
27 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

England vs India 1st test debate - Page 6 Empty England vs India 1st test debate

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 7:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Liam_Main wrote: England side:

1) Andrew Strauss (C)
2) Alistair Cook
3) Jonathan Trott
4) Kevin Pietersen
5) Ian Bell
6) Eoin Morgan
7) Matt Prior (WK)
8) Stuart Broad
9) Graeme Swann
10) Chris Tremlett
11) James Anderson

India side.

1) Abhinav Makund
2) Gautam Gambhir
3) Rahul Dravid (WK)
4) Sachin Tendulkar
5) VVS Laxman
6) Suresh Raina
7) MS Dhoni (C)
8) Harbhajan Singh
9) Zaheer Khan
10) Praveen Kumar
11) Ishant Sharma

Should be a terrific match and series!

My Prediction: England to win

Series Prediction: 1-1

C'mon England! OK

Back to top Go down

England vs India 1st test debate - Page 6 Empty Re: England vs India 1st test debate

Post by Cowshot Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:36 pm

Best Test Match I've watched in a while for tension and sheer quality. A game where we can honestly say that cricket was the winner.

Congratulations England, well deserved.

Commiserations India - you looked a bit undercooked and I am sure there will be a reaction at Trent Bridge, not least because a full complement of bowlers will help.

Hope Mr Tendulkar is over his virus by Friday, too.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

England vs India 1st test debate - Page 6 Empty Re: England vs India 1st test debate

Post by Stellar Key Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:37 pm

Liam_Main wrote:Best English test since 05 would anyone agree?

Lords in 2009 was too special to leave out since then .............. as was the Oval 2009 Very Happy

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:39 pm

My MOM would be Prior.

Match saving and eventually winning at a run a ball. Although KP will probably get it for the double ton. Both deserved though.

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:40 pm

But the aclaimed Indian batting lineup just didn't do their job, of course Gambhir and Sachin had fitness concerns, but they really missed the zenmaster at the top. Will Sehwag be available for the next match? Doesn't really seem so, and Zaheer Khan too is a big doubt. They won't do it, but Harbhajan desperately deserve a spel in the sidelines, he is below average these days, and a bit of time out would do good for him and India.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:40 pm

On a flat pitch Broad and Anderson bowled superb wouldn't surprise me if one of those two got it.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:41 pm

msp83 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Thanks MSP3 as well for being one of the most balanced Indian posters its been my pleasure to come across. Hard luck today mate but India will be back.
Thanks billy, I surely hope India repeats their overseas series pattern, and get one over England. But at the home of cricket, England was the better sie, and they deserved every bit of the win. unfortunate for India that India's their 3 and a half bowling unit(Harbhajan is a bit of a mottivater and batter than a bowler these days) lost its leader, in the middle of a wonderful spel. It took time for Ishant to adjust to the conditions, and by that time the overworked Praveen Kumar couldn't summon enough to back him up.

MSP yeah its a pity theres not a few more Indians on here, at least not the sort who get dragged into silly wars of words and slanging matches.

Have to say Im impressed by Kumar, he should do well at Old Traford. I had him written off as a non bowler, he relaly lacks pace, but in swinging english conditions he is clearly dangerous. Sharma though still strikes as a bowler whos mostly rleiant on players trying to ht him to get wickets, not ideal for teasing wickets out in a test

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by I hate you Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:41 pm

How lucky did England get?

The key moment was when Zaheer got injured. The pathetic English where clueless against the masterful left armer.

Had it not been for Zaheer's injury, England would've got schooled.

I hate you

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:41 pm

Oh look whos back

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:42 pm

I think perhaps the key session of this Test was the very first one, when we were put in and didn't crumble, or even flan. After that, apart from one session yesterday, India always seemed to be playing catch-up.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:42 pm

I hate you wrote:How lucky did England get?

The key moment was when Zaheer got injured. The pathetic English where clueless against the masterful left armer.

Let me take a wild guess at who this is..
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:42 pm

I think I'd go for Prior too , Sainty.

Though any of 4 players wouldn't be undeserving.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by I hate you Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:42 pm

Oh yes and the much hyped Swann was no threat to India, he's a useless pie chucker and can only take wickets vs match fixing Pakistanis

I hate you

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:42 pm

Lol, welcome back again
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by I hate you Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:43 pm

England are rubbish, they rely on pure luck, they have minimal talent at best.

I hate you

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:43 pm

Rubbish posting as usual I see clap
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:43 pm

India will come back and with avengance i feel. Roll on round 2
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:44 pm

Billy B had a poor last day, otherwise perhaps that Pietersen catch aside, the umpiring has been pretty good. umpire Rauf had a brilliant game.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:45 pm

Actually this is so silly it must be a spoof.

Stinky Prior couldnt even find his jelly beans he was so busy hitting runs.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:45 pm

Fantastc result. I had to settle for following it on my phone due to busy days in stinking heat at work.

Listened to the end driving home. Sounds like England finally found some fans as they finally outvoiced the India supporters noisily at the end there.

To be put in a Lords and bounce back to win is impressive.. India would have felt that was a certain win.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:46 pm

The highlight for me was Strauss' decleration tactics. He got it spot on.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:49 pm

England relied on poor decisions form Bowden to fire up Englands bowlers and get themk agressive enough to knock down the Indian tail. Rusbbish side.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:49 pm

English friends, just enjoy your moment of glory, rather than encouraging someone who want nothing more than winding up people.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:50 pm

I love you, msp.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:51 pm

msp: Commiserations. I'm sure your lads will bounce back once they have a full complement of bowlers. I really can't see ZK being ready, if it really is his hamstring that's damaged, but I have a suspicion that the Indian Management are playing head games and he might not be quite as bad as has been suggested.

PSW: Ach leave the little boy to play with himself. No-one else is ever going to want to.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:51 pm

Steady on there Sainty lol
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:52 pm

I hate you wrote:How lucky did England get?

Dhoni : Its part of the statergy to go with only 4 bowlers...thers no point crying about it

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:53 pm

come on england real quality performace

1-0 Very Happy

who is this new wum lol

come on england!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:56 pm

i think that its a great win and celebrations are in order but India will be back. You dont get to be #1 in the world by giving up.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by reducedwaistline Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:58 pm

Botham rates England as the best Test side in the World? What is this based on? England lost to the Windies in the Carribbean in 2009, lost in Sri Lanka in 2008 and haven't won in India or Pakistan in light years.

reducedwaistline

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:59 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:come on england real quality performace

1-0 Very Happy

who is this new wum lol

come on england!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think It's another account of LeBron's, hope he is eating his humble pie. laughing

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by reducedwaistline Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:59 pm

Side note, did Harbhajan not know this was a Test match? Wildly slogging, disgraceful display

reducedwaistline

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:00 pm

its a great start to the series, but it will be a very tough series

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:02 pm

with the next test, being at trent bridge, india will hope zaheer is fit, if not england will win Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:04 pm

KP is the deserving man of the match for me. His knock where he struggled, grafted, built and smashed made the all the difference. When he came in, the conditions were really tough, Zaheer was asking all kinds of questions, and although he scored runs against, he was under unfair pressure from the fan base and the media. he fought through all that, didn't fluster at any point, and his final assault made England's first innings score into a dominent one from a fighting one.
Matt Prior, Stuart Broad, and James Anderson all made real significant contributions, but KP gave the lead.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by reducedwaistline Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:06 pm

If Zaheer plays, I will be amazed. He could barely walk as the limped out to bat in the 2nd dig. Ganguly said on ESPN that Zaheer was already out of TB

reducedwaistline

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:06 pm

KP should not have been MOTM, just because he scored the highest score he also got out for 1!

Prior should have been, he had a sensational match!

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by reducedwaistline Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:09 pm

I'd hazard a guess that India's line up for TB will be the below:

1. Gambhir
2. Dravid
3. Laxman
4. Tendulkar
5. Raina
6. Yuvraj
7. Dhoni (c)(w/k)
8. Harbhajan/Zaheer
9. Kumar
10. Ishant
11. Sreesanth

reducedwaistline

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:10 pm

dhoni might get a ban as well, for slow over rates, he was on a last chance....

Back to top Go down

Post by reducedwaistline Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:14 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:dhoni might get a ban as well, for slow over rates, he was on a last chance....
doubt it, he'll say due to Zaheer being crooked, he had to bowl and that takes time, as with pads and protection for Dravid

reducedwaistline

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:15 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
msp83 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Thanks MSP3 as well for being one of the most balanced Indian posters its been my pleasure to come across. Hard luck today mate but India will be back.
Thanks billy, I surely hope India repeats their overseas series pattern, and get one over England. But at the home of cricket, England was the better sie, and they deserved every bit of the win. unfortunate for India that India's their 3 and a half bowling unit(Harbhajan is a bit of a mottivater and batter than a bowler these days) lost its leader, in the middle of a wonderful spel. It took time for Ishant to adjust to the conditions, and by that time the overworked Praveen Kumar couldn't summon enough to back him up.

MSP yeah its a pity theres not a few more Indians on here, at least not the sort who get dragged into silly wars of words and slanging matches.

Have to say Im impressed by Kumar, he should do well at Old Traford. I had him written off as a non bowler, he relaly lacks pace, but in swinging english conditions he is clearly dangerous. Sharma though still strikes as a bowler whos mostly rleiant on players trying to ht him to get wickets, not ideal for teasing wickets out in a test

When India went to NZ 2 years ago, I thought PK deserved a go, as condiions would have helped him. But after his performance in the WI and England, I think he can be useful in most conditions. I dearly wish he could add a yard of pace, but even without that, he showed he can swing a cricket ball, and control the swing prety well. That will be an asset in most conditions, even on the flat tracks in India. Particularly as the other pacers other than Zaheer are not world beaters by any means.

Ishant could blast out batters, he did that in his first 2 international seasons. His spel to Ricky ponting i part of the cricketing legend in India. But then he lost a bit of his edge, and it took till the WI series for him to claim back some of his status. I think he still is on the come back trail and the signs in the 2nd innings have been promissing.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:18 pm

india were poor, but thats cos england played so well

bearing in mind we lost the toss in swinging conditions!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:22 pm

Suresh Raina has justified his selection over Yuvraj. He now has 50 plus scores in his last 4 test matches. Also can expect his offies to bring a wicket o 2 unlike the one who is supposed to be India's premier spinners. Those who suggested this as a contest between Graeme Swann and Harbhajan Singh owe a serious appology to swanny for insulting him.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:28 pm

msp83 wrote:English friends, just enjoy your moment of glory, rather than encouraging someone who want nothing more than winding up people.

Nicely said. What a great test match.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:30 pm

reducedwaistline wrote:Botham rates England as the best Test side in the World? What is this based on? England lost to the Windies in the Carribbean in 2009, lost in Sri Lanka in 2008 and haven't won in India or Pakistan in light years.

kind of detracts from some brilliant performances in Aussie and SA to be fair.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:30 pm

Don't think the sppin master will evr be dropped although its the need of the hour.
But Zaheer certinly is a doubtful starter, and if he doesn't play, it will be Sreesanth who'd come in.
Don't think Sehwag will be fit for the next match, but India are really missing him at the top.
Not that young Mukund has done a lot wrong, but Sehwag is Sehwag, and the English bowlers at the moment need some heavy punches to be stopped.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:30 pm

I hate you wrote:England are rubbish, they rely on pure luck, they have minimal talent at best.

comment not wanted, this thread is for postivie posters, with comments worthwhile thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:41 pm

Trent Bridge will be huge, in swinging conditions and India likely without Zaheer England have a very good chance of going 2-0 up

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:45 pm

whoever bats first likely wins up there.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:00 pm

no cos it swings round corners at trent bridge!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:00 pm

Regardless of his injury, I thought Khan looked unfit even at the start of the Test, seemed to have put on a fair bit of weight since I last saw him. Can't see him playing on Friday, would be too much of a risk for them I would think. Sharma and Kumar will do well at Trent Bridge but I think Anderson and Broad will be better. Not sure how effective Tremlett will be but he always manages to cause trouble with his height and bounce. Should be more around to help Swann as well who I thought bowled well on a completely unhelpful pitch for him.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next