The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Selection for the Warm-Ups

+10
Rugby Uberlord
yappysnap
Geordie
beshocked
screamingaddabs
funnyExiledScot
TheGreyGhost
formerly known as Sam
bedfordwelsh
propdavid_london
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

England Selection for the Warm-Ups  - Page 2 Empty England Selection for the Warm-Ups

Post by propdavid_london Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:46 am

First topic message reminder :

With the 1st warm-up now less than 2 weeks away who would you select for the following matches. Whats the objective? Do we try a few new combinations to let the fringe players have a chance? Or do we select 1st choice and get some continuity.

I've included below the fixtures and Englands WC training squad that teams must be selected from.

August 6, 2011England Selection for the Warm-Ups  - Page 2 England2England v England Selection for the Warm-Ups  - Page 2 Wales2WalesTwickenham Stadium
August 13, 2011England Selection for the Warm-Ups  - Page 2 Wales2Wales v England Selection for the Warm-Ups  - Page 2 England2EnglandMillenium Stadium
August 27, 2011England Selection for the Warm-Ups  - Page 2 Ireland2Ireland v England Selection for the Warm-Ups  - Page 2 England2EnglandAviva Stadium

Player Club
Mouritz BothaSaracens
George ChuterLeicester Tigers
Dan ColeLeicester Tigers
Alex CorbisieroLondon Irish
Tom CroftLeicester Tigers
Louis DeaconLeicester Tigers
Paul Doran-JonesGloucester Rugby
Nick EasterHarlequins
Hendre FourieSale Sharks
Dylan HartleyNorthampton Saints
James Haskell Unattached
Courtney LawesNorthampton Saints
Lee MearsBath Rugby
Lewis MoodyBath Rugby
Tom PalmerStade Francais
Tim Payne London Wasps
Chris RobshawHarlequins
Simon ShawLondon Wasps
Andrew SheridanSale Sharks
Matt StevensSaracens
Steve Thompson London Wasps
Thomas WaldromLeicester Tigers
David WilsonBath Rugby
Tom WoodNorthampton Saints
Joe WorsleyLondon Wasps

Delon ArmitageLondon Irish
Chris AshtonNorthampton Saints
Matt BanahanBath Rugby
Danny CareHarlequins
Mark CuetoSale Sharks
Toby FloodLeicester Tigers
Riki FluteyLondon Wasps
Ben Foden Northampton Saints
Shontayne HapeBath Rugby
Charlie HodgsonSaracens
Ugo MonyeHarlequins
Charlie SharplesGloucester Rugby
Joe SimpsonLondon Wasps
James Simpson-DanielGloucester Rugby
David StrettleSaracens
Mike TindallGloucester Rugby
Manusamoa TuilagiLeicester Tigers
Richard WigglesworthSaracens
Jonny WilkinsonRC Toulon
Ben YoungsLeicester Tigers

My thoughts are to try out some combinations for the home game to Wales, refine a little for the Cardiff away game (keep those new combinations that work - reinforce with a few big guns if needed. The put out first choice test side for Dublin, Ireland being a bit of a bogey side for England over the recent years. For the sake of team confidence we need that away result to put to bed a few issues.

Team for the 1st warm-up, I would like to see -

Stevens
Mears
Cole
Botha
Lawes
Fourie
Moody
Waldrom
Care
Flood
Monye
Flutey
Tuilagi
JSD
Armitage

Res -

Hartley
Paul Doran-Jones
Palmer
Robshaw
Simpson
Sharples
Banahan
(almost looks like a strong Saxons side)

I would tweak that for the away leg - strengthen the Pack if needed to compete against A.Jones and co. Maybe Tinds comes in and Foden gets a run ect.
I would still expect the 15 for the Ireland game to look something like this -

Sherry
Hartley
Cole
Lawes
Palmer
Croft
Moody
Easter
Care
Flood
Ashton
Haps
Tinds
Cueto
Foden

And include any good performers from the previous matches.
Whats your thoughts - would you play your strongest in all warm-ups?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

England Selection for the Warm-Ups  - Page 2 Empty Re: England Selection for the Warm-Ups

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:53 pm

I wouldn't call Matt Smith and Botha similar. Completely different players and positions..

Well clearly that wasn't the point I was getting at and you know it.

I thought Croft was your lineout man

There's a big difference between running a line out and jumping in a line out. Croft is an excellent jumper but not so great at organising one. Deacon on the other hand is a throroughly average jumper but his inclusion in the team took the line out from woeful to very good. In fact Skivington and Mafi are both better jumpers than Deacs but the line out worked when he was in it.

Sam you honestly think being impotent in attack is down to the 2nd row?

Lose the battle up front and you lose the game. Forwards win games, backs decide by how much.

I swear there isn't an England thread running without you two bickering on it..

Apologies. I will not mention that day again on this thread.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

England Selection for the Warm-Ups  - Page 2 Empty Re: England Selection for the Warm-Ups

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Deacon also called the English lineout even though Palmer was considered the main jumper

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:05 pm

I apologise Yappysnap I enjoy these conversations with Sam. I think he is very knowledgeable (particularly on his own side) and always nice to get his point of view even when he doesn't agree with me!

I do actually think Deacon is pretty good. Thought he was just a loyal club servant for Tigers but has proved his worth for England in my opinion.

Yes funny exiled scot it's in protest. I actually think as bad as Tindall at inside centre would be he would be no worse than other options.

If anyone wants to talk about who they believe the best English players in the AP are - join me on my thread.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:46 pm

I think we should expect to see alot mor eof banahan at 12 next season...both with Bath and England.

I wouldnt be surprised to see him get some gametime their in the WC build up games.
Now whilst i think he COULD be a very good 12...i dont think he is ready yet for playing 12 in a WC for England.

Would Allen have been able to produce in the WC? Sadly we wont find out.

We all know it will be 12 Hape 13 Tindall ....although Tindall has had a few injuries...so i think Banahan may get the nod...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:19 pm

I dunno, I've had a couple of drinks and can almost come to terms with the idea that a Banahan and Tuilagi partnership could work in the future. Then again, I've been known to be very enthusiastic in my lush moods. I once described Husker du's 'Warehouse: Songs and stories' as the 'best' album ever after a few cherryades. I'll no doubt wake up feeling suitably stupid tomorrow. Viva school holidays!

(I’m an employee not a student for those who wondered! Laugh)
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:19 am

Haha

Cumbrian I think you may be right in your booze addled guestimations there, if Banahan gets a good run out at 12 this season for Bath and him and Manu keep on progressing nicely like they are then we could see them both in next years 6N's.

And they could be quite effective, especially compared to the current incumbants.

They'll need to learn quickly though as there are a whole host of centre options getting game time now who'll want in.

As to "Husker du's 'Warehouse: Songs and stories" I don't have a clue what you're on about, is it some kind of role playing game?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:25 am

For the centre options I think Hape and Tindall is the safest although, it may also be the dullest. Hape will have to stop the shuffling wide and get on the 10's shoulder though. The partnership with the most potential to my mind is also the most risky. Flutey and Manu could shred defences and hold their own defensive line brilliantly. However, Flutey's injuries and form have been all over the place whilst Manu hasn't got the coolest of tempers.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:21 pm

If Flutey plays like he did in '09 then a pairing with Tuilagi could be superb. Lets hope this extended rest and training run with the england team lets him get those knees sorted and remember how he used to play.

Hape for me will never be international quality, MJ may as well have stuck with Erinle.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:44 pm

yappysnap wrote:Haha

Cumbrian I think you may be right in your booze addled guestimations there, if Banahan gets a good run out at 12 this season for Bath and him and Manu keep on progressing nicely like they are then we could see them both in next years 6N's.

And they could be quite effective, especially compared to the current incumbants.

They'll need to learn quickly though as there are a whole host of centre options getting game time now who'll want in.

As to "Husker du's 'Warehouse: Songs and stories" I don't have a clue what you're on about, is it some kind of role playing game?

(adopting a 'comic book guy' voice) Best album ever Laugh :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warehouse-Songs-Stories-Husker-Du/dp/B000005JAM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1311766969&sr=8-5
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:04 pm

No such thing as 'a best album ever!'

Though if I were pushed I'd point you to some favourites in;

Alterbridge - One Day Remains
Led Zepplin - Led Zepplin 4
Eric Clapton and BB King - Ridin' with the King
Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour '74

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Ah Sam....you've just gone up in my estimation yet again.

AlterBridge...great band..booked in to see them again in November.
And Led Zepp 4...great ablum

Mind the Maiden Boys were outstanding on saturday night up here in Newcastle.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:15 pm

If you've not seen Alterbridge before you are in for a treat, Myles Kennedy is the best live vocalist I've seen (4 times with AB once with Slash). Will do a 3 hour show and every song will be note perfect.

Maiden are always good live, saw them at Donnington a couple of years back, you don't stay that popular that long without a good back catalouge and a great live show.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Ah, if I was going to nominate my favourite album ever (sober) I'd have to say it would be one of:

'Horses' Patti Smith
'Blank Generation' Richard Hell and the Voidoids
'Velvet Underground and Nico' by ...
'Raw Power' Iggy and the Stooges
'Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables' Dead Kennedys
'Unknown Pleasures' Joy Division
'The Queen is Dead' The Smiths

Last edited by Cumbrian on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thought of a couple more!)
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:53 pm

Ogden's nutgone flake - Small Faces. Genius.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:01 pm

Yeah mate ive seen AB before, great live band.

An ive been lucky to see maiden many times....not much you can say but brilliant.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:29 am

Yeah Maiden never disapoint. Did you see any of the solo Slash tour with Myles on vocals? That was suprisingly good, the solo album was pretty ace as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:57 am

No unfortunately i didnt get to see Slash...but i did get the Album and was very impressed....also with the collection of other artists on it.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2