The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arrogant Khan

+15
Imperial Ghosty
Super D Boon
bhb001
BALTIMORA
razzaq
88Chris05
The Galveston Giant
paperbag_puncher
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
Dass
Scottrf
coxy0001
Union Cane
d260005p
19 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Arrogant Khan - Page 3 Empty Arrogant Khan

Post by d260005p Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:01 am

First topic message reminder :

Just found a quick thread for all those Khan fans/haters. Amir is explaining why he thinks he isnt arrogant and that its all banter. What you guys think? I dont think he is as many of you are aware, i just feel he has a great sense of self belief and confidence.

http://www.boxingscene.com/amir-khan-hits-back-critics-who-call-him-arrogant--41957

Cheers, enjoy your day!

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Arrogant Khan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arrogant Khan

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:50 am

88Chris05 wrote:At the risk of incurring Rowley's wrath (again) on this issue...Does anyone else agree with me that 'The Godfather' was the most overrated film of all time? Decent flick, don't get me wrong, but why is it constantly at or near the very top of all these all-time lists by film critics and organizations?

Too long, takes an age to get going, Pacino just doesn't convince me in it, Brando's not really in it as much as many seem to think...I could go on!

No. Brilliant film for me. Beautifully shot and although Pacino is a little soft at the beginning, he really grows into it. Caan and Duvall are very good throughout.

Deerhunter is just awesome, Union. Far better Vietnam film than Apocalpyse Now in my humble opinion.

Still love the Shawshank Redemption, even though it seems fashionable to slate it these days.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:50 am

Chris consider my wrath incurred, is almost faultless. Now if you were to say part two is superior I would agree wholeheartedly. Also as it features the woefully underrated John Cazale far more it scores over the first one for me, and to come over all film ponce for a minute it also contains some thing of a moral compass a little lacking from the first film, far less romanticised view of the mafia presented.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

Scottrf wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:And Dog Soldiers is bloody brilliant....

"Where's Spoon?"

"There is no Spoon"

I almost quite literally peed myself at that point, for me it's an all time great British comedy film! Certainly wees all over most others!
Did you have to be there?

Brilliant scene... "Bad dog, fetch"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaqCBqd8NcA

Humour obviously too subtle for yourself dear boy! Wink

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

Guess I'll always be in the minority on The Godfather, then! I agree with MTWT, not sure why people seem so keen to dismiss Shawshank Redemption these days. It's a masterpiece.

Deerhunter is top drawer, too. On the British scene, nothing beats good ol' Kes!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

88Chris05 wrote:Guess I'll always be in the minority on The Godfather, then! I agree with MTWT, not sure why people seem so keen to dismiss Shawshank Redemption these days. It's a masterpiece.

Deerhunter is top drawer, too. On the British scene, nothing beats good ol' Kes!
Noone I know does.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

88Chris05 wrote:At the risk of incurring Rowley's wrath (again) on this issue...Does anyone else agree with me that 'The Godfather' was the most overrated film of all time? Decent flick, don't get me wrong, but why is it constantly at or near the very top of all these all-time lists by film critics and organizations?

Too long, takes an age to get going, Pacino just doesn't convince me in it, Brando's not really in it as much as many seem to think...I could go on!

Yup.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:55 am

Chris you are close to redeeming yourself with showing respect to the peerless Kes, Brian Glover is a genius.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:55 am

Scottrf wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:Guess I'll always be in the minority on The Godfather, then! I agree with MTWT, not sure why people seem so keen to dismiss Shawshank Redemption these days. It's a masterpiece.

Noone I know does.

They obviously have impeccable taste then. I have heard a few people call it sentimental old guff and such things. It is a stunning film for me though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:55 am

Scottrf wrote:

Noone I know does.

Your mates have better taste than mine then, obviously.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:55 am

Much prefer Pacino in Carlito's Way to be honest, much prefer the film as well

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

2 most overrated films (bearing in mind I love Vietnam films) are Deerhunter and Apocalypse Now.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

rowley wrote:Chris you are close to redeeming yourself with showing respect to the peerless Kes, Brian Glover is a genius.

The football scene is, by far, the best moment of the film. Absolute top class stuff from Glover. Although the caning scene with 'Gryce pudding' is a strong second.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:57 am

Now if we are talking great Pacino performances both Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico are rigbht up there, Al before he confused shouting with acting.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:57 am

88Chris05 wrote:Your mates have better taste than mine then, obviously.
Maybe in this one scenario!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:58 am

rowley wrote:Now if we are talking great Pacino performances both Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico are rigbht up there, Al before he confused shouting with acting.
Like in Scent of a Woman. Still like that film though.

Donnie Brasco is a quality Pacino film.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:58 am

88Chris05 wrote:
rowley wrote:Chris you are close to redeeming yourself with showing respect to the peerless Kes, Brian Glover is a genius.

The football scene is, by far, the best moment of the film. Absolute top class stuff from Glover. Although the caning scene with 'Gryce pudding' is a strong second.

Also like Colin Welland telling someone his dad is heavyweight champion of the world. In fact I love it from start to finish.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:00 pm

rowley wrote:Now if we are talking great Pacino performances both Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico are rigbht up there, Al before he confused shouting with acting.

Nope. Carlito's Way.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:01 pm

Carlito's Way is good, but its not Scarface.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:01 pm

For one liners, see The Ninth Configuration set in an experimental mental institution: -

I claim this swamp for Poland

You call him a doctor; he treats crocodiles for acne

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:02 pm

Michael>Tony Montana. Much more depth.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:08 pm

Not that keen on Khan but to be honest if he says and thinks he's the best in the UK at the moment I have no real problems with that as his wins have justified what he says. However, if Froch is to beat Ward then I think froch will have the British best tag.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

No. Brilliant film for me. Beautifully shot and although Pacino is a little soft at the beginning, he really grows into it. Caan and Duvall are very good throughout.

Deerhunter is just awesome, Union. Far better Vietnam film than Apocalpyse Now in my humble opinion.

Still love the Shawshank Redemption, even though it seems fashionable to slate it these days.

I think the second one was better but no fan of Mafia movies.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

Super D Boon wrote:Not that keen on Khan but to be honest if he says and thinks he's the best in the UK at the moment I have no real problems with that as his wins have justified what he says. However, if Froch is to beat Ward then I think froch will have the British best tag.

I think you've got the wrong article, Super D. This one was about films.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:12 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I think you've got the wrong article, Super D. This one was about films.

Unless he meant Aamir Khan...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aamir_Khan
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

You have to be in a certain frame of mind to really understand Apocalypse now, although set during the Vietnam war that has relatively little bearing on it's actual meaning.

Cannot say a bad thing about The Godfather part 1 or 2, incredible acting and although slow it sets up the story progression perfectly, the third part isn't terrible either but is unfortunate in coming after the first two.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

We were Soldiers is a good Vietnam film.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:29 pm

Spot on Ghosty, personally love the pacing of the first two godfather films, adds to the impact of the finale when it actually comes around.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:35 pm

At no point do you know where the films heading, you get a better insight into the characters themselves compared to a 80/90 minute film that leaves you caring not a jot about the characters

The best film i've seen recently is 'The Experiment', based loosely on Philip Zimbardos Stanford prison experiment, when you know the background to it makes you realise what we as men are capable of doing given any sort of power.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:36 pm

The Original French version of "Taxi" is bloomin' brilliant by the way, the American version (as is their obnoxious way) should have all copies burnt.

Cruel Intentions is great if only for Sara Michelle Gellar practically asking to be rodgered up the bottom! Wink

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:09 pm

Jeez Coxy, even if Gellar had actually been violated in that manner it would not have saved that film.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:17 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:We were Soldiers is a good Vietnam film.

with you on that.

theer was one with bill paxton which was good. relatively unheard of.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:26 pm

We were Soldiers is ok, wasn't all that keen on the drunk, wife beating, anti-semite (allegedly) who played the lead character though.

The scene when the flare lights up the Vietnamese soldiers standing in amongst the US guys is truly fantastic though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:29 pm

I'm with you Chris, for all that I have agreed with Rowley's taste so far I can't see the fuss with the Godfather. Its a decent movie but not as good as many make it out to be. If I want to watch a peerless gangster movie I'd rather have "Stray Dog" or "Drunken Angel" which I rate above Coppola's work.

Jaws a top ten movie Rowley, I hope you just mean a top 10 Spielberg movie. Very Happy

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:37 pm

Dass absolutely love Jaws. Robert Shaw is awesome as is the tension it builds by barely showing the shark for an age. Realise it is not a cool choice but is a film I can watch at any time and absolutely guarantee I will enjoy it.

As for the Godfather will have to disagree as I love it, although as I said I prefer the second one. For a gangster film of an older vintage have to say I loved Angels with Dirty Faces

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:45 pm

I like James Cagney and I like the movie. Kubrick's "The Killing" is a wonderful piece of work as far as gangster films go as is Kitano's "Sonatine" or the wonderful "Army in the Shadows".

I like Jaws and think its one of Spielberg's best works but would struggle to get in my top 100 let alone top 10.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:50 pm

Fellas, I'm sure you'll understand that I'm going to drop this into the pub thread.

As per usual, I'll give it five minutes so you'll know where it has gone.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:52 pm

Can we sticky a random news thread and unsticky the pub one? And Hall of Fame entrants with 1 comment and another thread which could house it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:52 pm

No mention for Alien and the sequel Aliens?

The mother of all sci-fi horrors.

Alien - Tense, gripping, dark, helplessness in a sea of space.

Aliens - Again tense, but then adrenaline pumped action ending with an awesome climax.

Lots of dark undertones to both films. Works on lots of different levels and just pure fun to watch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:53 pm

Having seen none of those mentioned suspect when the missus sees my Amazon bill next month you will not be popular in my house. Another semi Gangster film worth working is the original Infernal Affairs, which as I'm sure you know Scorsese remade as the Departed, which avoids the happy ending Marty attached, which I considered most out of character for him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:57 pm

I was a massive fan of the original Infernal Affairs and consider Tony Leung to be one of the finest actors of the past 20yrs. The departed wasn't a bad movie it just suffered when compared to the original in my eyes, plus I foudn the suspense and acting to be superior in the original.

One thing that did make me want to punch Scorsese was that bloody rat running along the balcony at the end and the inclusion of Mark "Marky" Marks character.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 1:58 pm

Scottrf wrote:Can we sticky a random news thread and unsticky the pub one? And Hall of Fame entrants with 1 comment and another thread which could house it.

Don't really want to do it with the HOF thread, Scott. There have already been a couple of misplaced posts which confused the issue and required minor surgery. However, the ' random news ' thread could replace the current ' pub ' one or, if you prefer, I could rename the current ' pub ' one, unsticky it, and open a new sticky as a ' pub ' thread.

Will leave this here until some of you let me have your opinions.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:00 pm

Dass, back on the black and white era, what about To Kill a Mockingbird? Love that film and Peck is perfect as Atticus Finch.

And Windy, you're such a spoilsport these days!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:00 pm

Agree with Scott here, there does seem to be a few too many sticky threads at the moment

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:00 pm

Slagging of Scorsese is hard for me but as you say the Departed falls short in comparison. Can only be happy John Woo's Asian films have not been remade, if anyone touches the Killer I will hunt them down and hurt them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Dass, back on the black and white era, what about To Kill a Mockingbird? Love that film and Peck is perfect as Atticus Finch.

Sorry, mate.

I know how hard it is to move the mouse a couple or three inches to click on the ' pub ' thread instead of the front page. I will try to be a tad more flexible. Very Happy

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Dass, back on the black and white era, what about To Kill a Mockingbird? Love that film and Peck is perfect as Atticus Finch.

Sorry, mate.

I know how hard it is to move the mouse a couple or three inches to click on the ' pub ' thread instead of the front page. I will try to be a tad more flexible. Very Happy

That's the spirit Windy! I would have prefered it if you had addressed me in red font though!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Agree with Scott here, there does seem to be a few too many sticky threads at the moment

I wouldn't disagree, mate.

Problem is that the HOF, book reviews and Q & A are worthy of sticky status and serve as a kind of database. If the members would like it, I could ask the other admins if we could have a ' sub forum ' entitled, ' Database, ' into which we could place these stickies and, perhaps, open other threads with fighters' records, etc.

If I get initial positive feedback I'll approach the other admins about it, or maybe I could put a poll up so that you could all express your wishes.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:11 pm

Tino its probably the 2nd best courtroom based film in existence behind the brilliant "12 Angry Men". Brilliant film and superb performance by Peck, the book is worth the read to.

Woo's Asian films are nearly all worth a watch, along with other directors like Takeshi Kitano (Takeshi's Castle was his baby to), Park Chan Wook, Yōjirō Takita or Kim Ji-woon. Though sitting above them all would be Akira Kurosawa who for me has a better collection of films than any director living or dead, he just kept releasing masterpiece after masterpiece.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:11 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Sorry, mate.

That's the spirit Windy! I would have prefered it if you had addressed me in red font though!

The use of red font is directly proportional to the increase in my blood pressure and inversely proportional to my general state of well being, Tino. My estimate would be that I'll be prodding you with the red pen around six o' clock this evening.

Watch this space.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:14 pm

Agree about Kirosowa, Jojimbo and Seven Samurai are masterpieces, really like some of the Asian cinema, some of it such as Ichi the Killer is a bit extreme in its desire to shock but the likes of Oldboy are beyond praise.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next