The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles

+33
Rava
marty2086
kiakahaaotearoa
Portnoy
caoimhincentre
Boyne
WillyGilly
nganboy
Feagh McHugh
red_stag
Pal Joey
D24tress
emack2
Pot Hale
Shifty
Standulstermen
Thomond
funnyExiledScot
mrsuperclear
Feckless Rogue
Cari
Notch
damngoodOvalball
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Biltong
greybeard
TheGreyGhost
Mickado
MBTGOG
RuggerRadge2611
doctor_grey
rodders
Gibson
37 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles  Empty Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:51 pm

So, we were holding back. Saving it for NZ. Not declaring our full hand. Like the Saffers. Hmmmmm. I hope so. It would make some sense.
Got to love Donnacha. It's hard not to.

"Even this morning, he (Kidney) was geared around getting results. People might say that's boring enough, but it's the little things that might lead to three points. Good drills as well, new ideas, and it's good that we've got here now and they've opened the bag a bit more. There's new plans, there's new line-outs, new moves, we haven't changed calls, just expanded them a bit."

"I didn't know at the time, but we were a little bit restricted in the warm-up games because they didn't want to show their hand. So now it's about getting up to speed for ourselves and then concentrating on America, which will be massive," added O'Callaghan.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/world-cup/firedup-ireland-ready-to-remove-shackles-2866556.html

With players who have won multiple HC's, a SLAM and who represented the Lions... ROG, POC, DOC, BOD, Sexton, Heaslip, Flannery, Cullen, SOB, Kearney, Bowe, Reddan et al - we have the nucleus of a winning 22. Players who know how to win and close out huge games in the HC. This combined experience and nous, must be brought to bear. Those players must take this responsibility. Its not just the coaching staff.

O' Driscoll, O'' Connell and O'Gara, are not going to leave anything behind them in this one. If they perform and lead - and they will - the rest will follow. That is the biggest positive I can take going into it.

Do we Believe? Phooking right we do. No more negativity. Your Country Needs You.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYHlttt--tY

Last edited by Gibson on Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles  Empty Re: Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles

Post by rodders Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:56 pm

I believe Gibson ! Bring it on! guinness Leprechaun Yahoo

Hearts of steel
And heads unbowing
Vowing never to be broken
We will fight, until
We can fight no more
From the four proud provinces of Ireland

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles  Empty Re: Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles

Post by doctor_grey Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:04 pm

Go get 'em cowboy. Love it. This is the attitude.
Just get out there, eat nails for breakfast, crushed glass for lunch and play some nut-cutting Rugby.

Belief and passion is everything. Comes straight through the post!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:06 pm

Meanwhile back on planet earth..... Rolling Eyes Wink

Just joking lads. For Ireland to do well in this world cup the steely determination of the 6N performance against England to have a good tournament, and to be honest I just can't see it happening. The Irish players confidence has almost certainly taken a massive dent and getting to the semis will be a fantastic achivement. However I do think the QF will be as far as Ireland will go.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:11 pm

Fair enough Radge. It would seem that way, but this team is due a huge peformance. And I believe that will come v Oz. Tall order, but it is in our psyche to do it when we are not expected to. We love the underdog tag. Thrive on it. Totally different mindset to 2007. A great performance, with things they have been working on, clicking v USA - will set that up.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:16 pm

Thanks for the trumpet call Gibbo. The negativity must stop now and time to get behind the lads. We might not be as good as believe sometimes but there is a massive performance in this side and I feel it's coming soon.

C'mon Ireland. Do our green shirt proud!

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:23 pm

Somehow I’ve convinced myself this was the plan all along.

We’re bringing Willy Ellis home lads, they’ll be dancing at the crossroads with poitin and porter, bonfires and singing till dawn.

Eireann Abú!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:26 pm

Keep doubting us radge. The more people that write us off the better. Like Gibson says we are at our best when our backs are against the wall.

We'll come out fighting in this WC, I'm sure of it. There's no way our guys will leave anything behind. If we give it 100% I'll be happy regardless of how far we go but I'm quietly confident that if we give it our all we might go further than people think.

We just need to take it one game at a time and not get ahead of ourselves. Like DOC says there is nothing after the USA game right now.

guinness

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:42 pm

"we were a little bit restricted in the warm-up games because they didn't want to show their hand"

Saving up all the tricks for the mighty USA? Shocked

Just saying...

Showing your hand against the USA? What was the point in holding it up until then? then?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:46 pm

Passion and belief can do wonders. Especially in Rugby. Don't blow your juice against the US, but I agree: Ireland have the feel of a team with something big coming. And with style. Can't wait to see it.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:50 pm

GG,
Because this is the real thang man.Warm-ups dont count. You get no prize for them. The Saffers did the same thing and won it in 2007. They are doing it again. Should be an interesting clash, when we will most likely meet them in the QF's. To beat Oz, would change the whole picture. And I'd still fancy our chances v the Saffers if we dont.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:50 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:"we were a little bit restricted in the warm-up games because they didn't want to show their hand"

Saving up all the tricks for the mighty USA? Shocked

Just saying...

Showing your hand against the USA? What was the point in holding it up until then? then?

The USA won't know whats hit them GG..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:52 pm

Makes you wonder what Aironi have up their sleeves...

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 05 Sep 2011, 4:00 pm

greybeard wrote:Makes you wonder what Aironi have up their sleeves...

Arms?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 4:01 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
greybeard wrote:Makes you wonder what Aironi have up their sleeves...

Arms?

laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon 05 Sep 2011, 4:05 pm

Goodness then Shocked

As it the USA didn't have enough to worry about as it was.

A fired up Ireland is all they need...

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 4:07 pm

I genuinly want Ireland to do well but I have no idea how you could expect to beat South Africa or Australia on the back of a warm up campaign that saw you lose 4 matches including one against us!

There is a massive difference between belief and hope. Hoping you can win is an inspiration to any rugby nation and I admire that sort of passion. "Belief" in victory under such circumstances is unrealistic.

I am certainly hoping for Scotland to make it out of the quarters, however I know achiveing this goal is far from certain.

BTW the Aironi comment about arms made me chuckle!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 4:57 pm

Radge,
That game was with our 2nd team. And we love the Scots. Noworimeanbud? Ale

And we are not at home to Mr. Negative this week.

I actually think Scotland could surprise a few. England are nothing special. Either are Argentina... Robbo is one of the best and most experienced coaches out there. So Believe. zen
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:05 pm

No reality checks in here.

It's all about the blind optimism of Ireland's chances. Nothing else to be entertained.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:09 pm

Munsty, that's the spiggot - love it!! Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:10 pm

Gibson wrote:Radge,
I actually think Scotland could surprise a few. England are nothing special. Either are Argentina... Robbo is one of the best and most experienced coaches out there. So Believe. zen

As an England fan, I am more concerned about playing Scotland than Argentina. I wouldnt be surprised if they did beat us to be honest. We only really have an edge if our backs fire, which is a massive if itself.

As for Ireland, if we do finish top of our group, and then beat (supposedly) France in the QF, we will in likelihood have to play Ireland or Australia (I think) in the semi. My preference would be to face Oz. Ireland did us badly in the last 6N, and it still scares me a bit if I'm honest. Oz though, well they are just a piece of p155 to beat of course, a walk in the park, easier than 123 etc etc etc

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:25 pm

Good man Oval. That's the spirit. Expect nothing and everything. Somewhere in between would do me at this stage. I just want good performances, commitment and passion 1st. Then see where that takes our respective teams. OK Ale
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:58 pm

It's very nice that you guys believe that, but I struggle to believe that Ireland didn't want to try out their new moves in meaningless friendlies, but think a World Cup is the place to try things out.

By the way, how were the Saffers holding back? They still won two games though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:09 pm

Funny thing is that the players don't seem to care about the warm-ups; at all. Totally, brazenly, unconcerned about the results. They've been treated as pre-season games. That annoys me a lot because our home record against England has been ruined in a game we never seemed to take seriously.

The level of confidence seems to be very high amongst the players.

I don't think we'll beat Australia but the level we are at as a side when we reach the Italy game will be much higher than the warm-ups. That should be true of every side including our opponents. I think it's rather too early to say how we'll do in the quarter-finals should we reach them.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:10 pm

Risca Rev wrote:By the way, how were the Saffers holding back? They still won two games though.

I think they are referring to the fact they left out something like 20 players from their first two games.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:16 pm

Rev,
I think we were trying out positional partnerships, getting everyone game time and nursing long standing injured players back into the fold. The latter part worked. Fla, Murphy, Ferris and Kearney all came through. Big positive.

As for the new moves and our open-game .. well. Didn't click did it? But lots to work on for the USA. Im sure they poured over the videos for hours. Now, for the real thing. Playing Oz last would have been the ultimate. But we haven't got that time and space.

On the Saffers - They kept their best players away from the action in the 1st few games. Said they were all nursing injuries and needed recuperation R & R. Yeah roysh.
They will be fresh and ready to go, come the real deal.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:20 pm

South Africa only won one game actually.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:31 pm

The row over whether we will see different moves from Ireland or not is a bit of a red herring. There are three possibilities really;

a) We have been holding back some calls for the start of the real action.
b) We are so perturbed by the lack of success we had in August we are going to introduce new moves into the mix, although this wasn't the original plan.
c) We think everything is fine and will change nothing.

c) seems to be the least likely option.

Nah, I think we'll try a few different things against the USA Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:34 pm

Ireland will be grand. They've got an Osprey on side Whistle

And they wear disco shirts! Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:44 pm

MBTGOG wrote:South Africa only won one game actually.

I figured I'd be wrong in that. Anyway, the gist still stands. They won one game then, which is more than Ireland.

Ireland won't be trying too much new against USA. There's a lot riding on that game too. An ex head coach for one. I really struggle to believe that any side will be trying too much (if anything) new in the WC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:46 pm

That's the spirit.

I remember the last time Ireland had fallen down the rankings, lost confidence and there was a lot negativity around the team.

Then this happened
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:54 pm

What did I say about negativity on this thread?

Also Notch, just a warning. No thought out logic on this thread, I'm enjoying our odd reasoning as to why we will do well.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:00 pm

You should red pen me really.

I do want Ireland to do well. That's the best I can do OK

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:03 pm

BOD and D'Arcy to spear tackle the US Captain in the opening minute. Then you are pretty much guaranteed to win your next three games by handsome margins, according to old man history at least.

It might help if can get Sir Clive to persuade Captain America to throw a blade of grass at you before kick off....

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:08 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:South Africa only won one game actually.

I figured I'd be wrong in that. Anyway, the gist still stands. They won one game then, which is more than Ireland.

Ireland won't be trying too much new against USA. There's a lot riding on that game too. An ex head coach for one. I really struggle to believe that any side will be trying too much (if anything) new in the WC.

Rev,
I don't think we will try anything radically new. I just think we will want to hone, what we have been working on for 18 months now. It worked in the 6-N v England. We blew them away. That level of performance would trouble any team. That's the marker. Its in us to do it. That we know. Now to actually go out and do it a few times in a row. That level of consistency, more than anything - has been our bugbear for nigh on 100 years. Never mind the RWC.

One game at a time Sweet Jesus. Lets see where we end up.

I think we have the team to make a SF. Really do. It would be just like Kidney, to be quietly smiling, at previous naysayers like moi - if we make a SF. I would love that so much. So, I for one - am behind him. Give him that chance. He knows how to win at Cup Rugby.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:09 pm

I'm not sure I believe anything I'm about to write but sure with the spirit of the thread I'll give this optimisim thing a lash...

Firstly, have ye seen the pictures on Irish rugby.ie of the all going rafting and bunjee jumping and whatnot? They're having great craic over there and the mood in the camp should be MEGA (I hate that word but for the thread). They'll be playing with a smile on their faces and Deccie's always going on about how that's important and Deccie knows everything.

Secondly, sure we didn't do too well in our warm up games but sure didn't all the Irish provinces lose their pre-season games last year and we still came 1,2,3 in the pro 12 and Leinster won a nice shiny Heineken while they were at it. No big deal.

Thirldly, all the Irish lads are saying the defeats doesn't hurt them and they don't care about it since it's not the world cup yet. As a gullible fool I 100% believe they're telling the truth. It doesn't matter in the slightest. Come the world cup we'll be on fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiire.

Lastly, we're Irish and we always do well in world cups! It's a foregone conclusion we'll be in the semi's at the very least like.

Be afraid rest of the world, be very afraid!! Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun Leprechaun

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:20 pm

Well boys we plan to make the semi finals as well, so get ready for one hell of a mtach up.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:22 pm

Easy! Easy! Easy! Easy!
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:25 pm

For us, I assume?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:25 pm

Of course. Very Happy
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:29 pm

Thanks mate, I knew you would come around evetually
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:52 pm

Beware an Irishman bearing false hopes for the opposition.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:58 pm

Gibson, I don't really see that as bringing false hope to us, more a case of accepting reality
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:01 pm

Laugh clap Ale
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:05 pm

Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:28 pm

I must say, D'Arcy really had me fooled during the warm-ups. There was me thinking he was drastically off form and playing like a complete tool - turns out he was under instructions to keep his best stuff under wraps. Phew!!

As for Buckley, he should get an oscar.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:36 pm

biltongbek wrote:Well boys we plan to make the semi finals as well, so get ready for one hell of a mtach up.

We won't meet you in the quarters. Sure we're gonna beat the Aussies like Wink

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:47 pm

We'll probably win the bugger outright, if you ask me.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:55 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I must say, D'Arcy really had me fooled during the warm-ups. There was me thinking he was drastically off form and playing like a complete tool - turns out he was under instructions to keep his best stuff under wraps. Phew!!

As for Buckley, he should get an oscar.

Exile. Astute as ever. Yeah, Gordon played like a moron. Its all a cunning plan to help McFadden up the ante and be a star at the RWC. Man Management.
As for Mushy. Yeah, hes a huge hape of a man with so much latent potential. He just needs a Deccie cuddle and we will see him shine. All part of the plan for World Domination. Like Irish Pubs. guinness

If only ye knew how hard it is for me to be this positive. It is my cross to bear for my country.

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:58 pm

Buckley has been doing this for years like. 30 years of his life, secretly brilliant. It's been hard for him to hold back on the pitch all his career. I wouldn't like to be the opposing loosehead when the shackles really come off.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next