The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles

+33
Rava
marty2086
kiakahaaotearoa
Portnoy
caoimhincentre
Boyne
WillyGilly
nganboy
Feagh McHugh
red_stag
Pal Joey
D24tress
emack2
Pot Hale
Shifty
Standulstermen
Thomond
funnyExiledScot
mrsuperclear
Feckless Rogue
Cari
Notch
damngoodOvalball
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Biltong
greybeard
TheGreyGhost
Mickado
MBTGOG
RuggerRadge2611
doctor_grey
rodders
Gibson
37 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles  - Page 2 Empty Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 2:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

So, we were holding back. Saving it for NZ. Not declaring our full hand. Like the Saffers. Hmmmmm. I hope so. It would make some sense.
Got to love Donnacha. It's hard not to.

"Even this morning, he (Kidney) was geared around getting results. People might say that's boring enough, but it's the little things that might lead to three points. Good drills as well, new ideas, and it's good that we've got here now and they've opened the bag a bit more. There's new plans, there's new line-outs, new moves, we haven't changed calls, just expanded them a bit."

"I didn't know at the time, but we were a little bit restricted in the warm-up games because they didn't want to show their hand. So now it's about getting up to speed for ourselves and then concentrating on America, which will be massive," added O'Callaghan.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/world-cup/firedup-ireland-ready-to-remove-shackles-2866556.html

With players who have won multiple HC's, a SLAM and who represented the Lions... ROG, POC, DOC, BOD, Sexton, Heaslip, Flannery, Cullen, SOB, Kearney, Bowe, Reddan et al - we have the nucleus of a winning 22. Players who know how to win and close out huge games in the HC. This combined experience and nous, must be brought to bear. Those players must take this responsibility. Its not just the coaching staff.

O' Driscoll, O'' Connell and O'Gara, are not going to leave anything behind them in this one. If they perform and lead - and they will - the rest will follow. That is the biggest positive I can take going into it.

Do we Believe? Phooking right we do. No more negativity. Your Country Needs You.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYHlttt--tY

Last edited by Gibson on Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles  - Page 2 Empty Re: Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles

Post by Standulstermen Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:10 pm

With all this positivity we really need a montage button. I feel energised, fair play Gibbo.

A tad dated perhaps but this one always worked for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnAcnWehrUE&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL1CE17C0652D76829

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles  - Page 2 Empty Re: Fired up Ireland ready to throw off the Shackles

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:41 pm

Stand,
Love the vid. A mish-mash of what we are. After we beat Oz in the Final - and they will have to navigate dangerous waters to meet us there. After we beat them in the Pool. I'm taking a wee trip up to your Pub. And I'm bringing at least 50 from on here. We'll have a hooley. Get de beer in man. guinness

Believe.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:44 pm

Their gonna sack Kidney before the world Cup? Sorry
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:51 pm

What's all this semi-final business?

If this is meant to be a positivity thread, then a last minute try by [fill in your fav player] brings the scores level against [fill in your favourite opposition] and up steps [fill in your favourite 10] to put it straight between the posts, and [pick your favourite ref] blows full-time.

Cue Dancing at Lughnasa as Inda Kenny hops on a plane to Auckland to stand beside the boys. Unfortunately, they've already left by the time he gets there and is promptly lynched by peed off NZ fans.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 11:29 pm

Ireland are approaching the RWC in the right spirit,give it your best one game at a time.Good luck to you.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:37 am

AlynDavies wrote:

Their gonna sack Kidney before the world Cup? Sorry

Last edited by Gibson on Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:28 am

Ozzies starting same team against italy

They win this keep the same team against us and we whoop them like they stole something.

Copper misses about 8 easy penos and we stroll to victory

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 06 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

emack2 wrote:Ireland are approaching the RWC in the right spirit,give it your best one game at a time.Good luck to you.

Cheers Alan. Best post on here.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Sep 2011, 12:02 pm

Have made my SG predictions for the weekend - Ireland to trounce the US by one - I know that's going against recent form, but I'm confident Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:26 pm

I've tipped Ireland to wallop the US by 20+ something.

Am I getting carried away? I think they're going to shatter the Eagles on 9/11.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:34 pm

Oh no Neil Francis suggesting we can do well Erm

He made the point in 1991 they lost to Namibia twice in the warm ups and were poor agianst French club teams. However they suddenly clicked in RWC and turned in several top performances including the narrow 18-19 loss to the eventual champions Australia in the quarters.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:41 pm

red_stag wrote:Oh no Neil Francis suggesting we can do well Erm

Did he mention Paddy wallace will be starting at 12 and Tom Court at LH? ... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

He's not mentioned Ulster at all actually. He actually said the only player who performed consistently well for Ireland this summer was Trimble.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:45 pm

red_stag wrote:He's not mentioned Ulster at all actually. He actually said the only player who performed consistently well for Ireland this summer was Trimble.

Shocked
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:47 pm

I know maybe its cos the other fella is Matt Williams who used coach Ulster Smile

They are actually doing some good analysis. Showing the good aspects of our play and then contrasting with bad play.

e.g. Sean O'Brien makes a massive break and is eventually tackled, the first man there secures and the second and third do a pick and drive which slows it all down.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:49 pm

That's all fair enough. Trimble was good but benefited from getting a lot of gametime. I'm sure we'll see other players hitting their stride as they get more minutes under their belt.

Ironically, rodders, had he said that this week he may well have been right as D'Arcy and Healy have both only taken a limited part in training and arrived in NZ later than everyone else.

That said, they've delayed the team announcement until Friday and I'm sure those guys will be given as much time as possible to get into contention for that game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:48 pm

Trimble must start. He stood out, midst the mediocrity.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Feagh McHugh Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:56 pm

SOB took full part in training today and is available for selection Sunday morning.

Feagh McHugh

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:15 am

Cunning devils the Irish.
Lose everything before the World Cup so they can win it.
Unfortunately for them NZ are also trying the same tactic.
Course NZ stuffed it up by winning some as well so they may have to lose 1 or 2 more to increase their chances of winning it all.
Aus on the other hand clearly have no chance of winning it after winning too much before the start of the World Cup
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:51 am

Gibson wrote:Trimble must start. He stood out, midst the mediocrity.

The back 3 will be an interesting selection. You'd have said prior to the warm-ups that Earls and Bowe were nailed on starters but Trimble was the standout back of the summer and by a distance too.

Presumably if fit Kearney will be fullback and Geordan Murphy deserves a mention for an pretty good display against England.

Might Kidney throw a curve ball and start BOD and Earls in the centre and keep Trimble and Bowe on the wings?? Shocked

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:46 am

Wouldn't be surprised of Trinble doesn't start. He's played 4 games this summer and performed well. They might decide he's there for the Aussie game and give Earls and Bowe a chance to get up to speed.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:56 am

I don't think so Notch. Bowe will start because he needs the game time.

It will be a tough call on the other flank between Earls and Trimble.

I'm a bit concerned about this game to be honest. The USA will be really fired up for this one. I think we'll put out our strongest available side because we need to get a bit of continuity ahead of the Australia game but this game is a real banana skin.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Feagh McHugh Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:02 am

roddersm wrote:I don't think so Notch. Bowe will start because he needs the game time.

It will be a tough call on the other flank between Earls and Trimble.

I'm a bit concerned about this game to be honest. The USA will be really fired up for this one. I think we'll put out our strongest available side because we need to get a bit of continuity ahead of the Australia game but this game is a real banana skin.

Not sure who will get game time on the wings against USA when you take full back cover into the bench scenario, but one thing I would be sure of, and that is Trimble is ahead of Earls for the OZ game.

Feagh McHugh

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:05 am

I'd imagine it would be:

Healy, Best, Ross
DOC, POC
Ferris, Heaslip, O'Brien
Reddan, Sexton
Darcy, BOD
Trimble, Kearney, Bowe

As for subs prob not what Deccie will do but: Flannery, Court, Ryan, Leamy, Murray, O'Gara, Murphy
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

Sad thing is that there is question marks over the fitness of 6 of starting 15 players I just listed.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:14 am

Stag do you really think Earls won't be in the match day 22? I can't believe that Kidney will start without Earls.

Aren't there doubts over D'arcy's availability? I don't think he's doing full training right now?

I just think Kidney must have something up his sleeve. If we go with what we've seen in the warm ups it will be a very short trip.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:24 am

I suspect he'll be on the bench thats why I said its not what Deccie will do.

Earls isn't playing all that well. I like Murphy - O'Gara as sub options.

If Sexton gets injured - ROG 10
If Darcy gets injured - ROG 10, Sexton 12
If BOD gets injured - Murphy 15, Bowe 13, Kearney 14
If Trimble gets injured - Murphy 15, Kearney 11
If Bowe gets injured - Murphy 15, Kearney 14
If Kearney gets injured - Murphy 15

I though question marks were over Darcy, BOD, Ferris, O'Brien and Kearney.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:30 am

Stag I read this moring that everyone was training except D'arcy who is doubtful, I think.

I actually am not keen on Murphy and ROG as subs although your logic is sound in terms of covering injury. I think Trimble or Earls, depending on who starts, provide more impact in the 3/4's and the ability to adjust tactics.

Obviously if both start then I'd be looking at Murphy or McFadden.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:33 am

I suppose the advance of Earls in particular is that he plays 11, 13, 14, 15 and BOD can always move to 12 if there is an injury to Darcy.

Still against USA I'd be inclined to try that or else give Earls the 11 shirt to let him try win back his place.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:35 am

Doubt Healy will start until the Australia game. D'Arcy may not start.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:39 am

When are we anticipating a team announcement?

Just discovered I have a free house this weekend a woo hoo!
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

red_stag wrote:
Still against USA I'd be inclined to try that or else give Earls the 11 shirt to let him try win back his place.

Er if you give him the shirt then he doesn't have to win it back does he?......

Surely it should be about the team and what tactic we are going to adopt. If we want a bit of robustness, work rate and power then it makes sense to go with Trimble.

Earls provides a different type of threat and is perhaps more dangerous and unpredictable when the game breaks up and becomes looser but doesn't do as well against organised defences.

I don't think Kidney owes anyone any opportunity to win back a jersey and if Trimble is deemed to be doing the job required off him then Kidney should stick with him.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:44 am

red_stag wrote:
I though question marks were over Darcy, BOD, Ferris, O'Brien and Kearney.

D'Arcy and Healy have taken a limited part in training. Ferris, O'Brien, Kearney and O'Driscoll have taken a full part in training.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:51 am

Fiver says the team will be:

15 Kearney
14 Bowe
13 Earls
12 BOD
11 Trimble
10 ROG
9 Reddan
8 Heaslip
7 O'Brien
6 Ferris
5 POC
4 DOC
3 Buckley
2 Flannery
1 Court

Subs: Ross, Ryan, Best, Jennings, Murray, Sexton, Wallace/McFadden/Murphy.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:54 am

roddersm wrote:Fiver says the team will be:

15 Kearney
14 Bowe
13 Earls
12 BOD
11 Trimble
10 ROG
9 Reddan
8 Heaslip
7 O'Brien
6 Ferris
5 POC
4 DOC
3 Buckley
2 Flannery
1 Court

Rodders- Ill take u up on that one. Leinster vs Ulster in Dublin, you can buy me a pint.

BOD has never played 1st center for Ireland. Cant see it.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

roddersm wrote:Fiver says the team will be:

15 Kearney
14 Bowe
13 Earls
12 BOD
11 Trimble
10 ROG
9 Reddan
8 Heaslip
7 O'Brien
6 Ferris
5 POC
4 DOC
3 Buckley
2 Flannery
1 Court

giving yourself some wiggle room with Wallace/McFadden/Murphy

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

Rodders hand over your money now. No way will BOD play 12, Best play at number 18, Ross number 16 or Ryan number 17.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm

Boyne wrote:Rodders- Ill take u up on that one. Leinster vs Ulster in Dublin, you can buy me a pint.

Jesus at Dublin prices?!! Maybe at Ravenhill! Very Happy

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:33 pm

right this is my guess at the team

court
flannery
ross

DOC
Cullen

leamy
o'brien
heislip

murray
sexton

earls
wallace
GOD
bowe
Kearney

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:38 pm

Pointless 2nd guessing DK. We've said it before. But this is what I would like to see...

Court
Flannery
Buckley

DOC
Cullen

Ryan
SOB
J Heaslip

Murray
Sexton

Earls
McFadden
BOD
Bowe
Kearney

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:49 pm

Word from NZ is that today O'Brien was training with the 2nd XV and Conor Murray was with the 1st XV
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:56 pm

Cullen was also training with the 2nd XV and was also training at no 8 according to a report I read somewhere.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

I really think 1F needs a game before Oz. Or at least half a game. As does Kearney. And to a lesser extent - BOD, who is famous for hitting the ground running - after injury. Also think Notch is probably right re Trimble, when you consider that he has more game time than most and is ready. Kidney may rest him now for Oz. So we may see Earls start. Also should see McFadden on the bench at least. Id love to see Sexton with Murray, at one stage of the game. Could be a great combo.

We really need a huge improvement in performance. Really need to malafuster the States. Hammer them. Anything else would sow more seeds of doubt.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:08 pm

The 9/11 thing will give them some extra bite. And EOS's knowlege of Irish rugby won't do them any harm either. But aren't the Americans mostly amateur players? If so, it's pro's against amateur's; it shouldn't be a contest really.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:18 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:The 9/11 thing will give them some extra bite. And EOS's knowlege of Irish rugby won't do them any harm either. But aren't the Americans mostly amateur players? If so, it's pro's against amateur's; it shouldn't be a contest really.

I think they’re mostly semi pro, but there are a few players with pro clubs in Europe and the captain Todd Clever has played superXV.
We should be putting some points on these lads, but remember Georgia?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:19 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:The 9/11 thing will give them some extra bite. And EOS's knowlege of Irish rugby won't do them any harm either. But aren't the Americans mostly amateur players? If so, it's pro's against amateur's; it shouldn't be a contest really.

It really shouldnt be Feckless, but as is our wont playing weaker teams, we tend to make them contests. We must be ruthless and throw the kitchen-sink at them. Run rings around them. We have the players to do it. All we need now is for Deccie to put in place, the Game Plan to do so. And the players to carry it out. No pointless kicking. Just run at them and we will wear them down and trounce them over 80 mins. Lineout and scrum must function in order for this to happen. That should not present itself as a problem v amateurs. They will be fired-up for the 1st quarter. Id expect that - given the day thats in it and Steady Eddie striving to do well v Kidney. But we can handle that and then break them down.

Should beat them by 20 pts min.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:23 pm

Nwenga's not a bad old bean either... whoever is marking him will have some craic.... Run

I don't think we should take the USA lightly, they will be huge and physical and fired up so we'll have to be switched on for this. They gave England and SA a real tough time last time around.

I don't think we can take a win for granted and we'll need a big improvement from the England game.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:28 pm

B guinness E guinness F guinness U guinness C guinness K guinness I guinness N guinness G guinness L guinness I guinness E guinness V guinness E

May your god be with you Gibbo - : guinness guinness guinness
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:31 pm

I tipped them by 26, Gibbo. I have the faith in your lads it seems.

About the 9/11 tragedy. You guys should never forget this: at least 1/5 (or a heck of a lot of?) of Manhattan was built by you guys... and many of your ancestoral people died that day too. You are inseparable from 9/11. You share the same emotions as the US does!

(hope I'm not out of line there... but you know what I'm trying to say here?)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:33 pm

I've had a look they have guys from Saracens, Stade Francais, Biarritz and the Highlanders as well as Todd Clever who know plays in Japan but has Super 14 experience.

I wonder what inside knowledge O'Sullivan could bring. Things have changed a bit since he was there.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next