The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced

+39
Don Alfonso
littlejohn
mrsuperclear
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Artful_Dodger
ME-109
debaters1
greybeard
Nos na Gaoithe
WillyGilly
GunsGerms
Knowsit17
Irish Curry
formerly known as Sam
valjester
TheGreyGhost
Jenifer McLadyboy
dublin_dave
Thomond
eirebilly
thebandwagonsociety
D24tress
Sin é
Standulstermen
Feckless Rogue
majesticimperialman
Tayto
WelshinEdinburgh
emack2
clivemcl
Boyne
red_stag
rodders
Mickado
Cari
BlueMuff
asoreleftshoulder
MMC
43 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced - Page 6 Empty Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced

Post by MMC Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ireland:
15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
9 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:

16 - Sean Cronin (Leinster)
17 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
18 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
19 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
22 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)

Italy:
15 Andrea Masi
14 Tommaso Benvenuti
13 Gonzalo Canale
12 Gonzalo Garcia
11 Mirco Bergamasco
10 Luciano Orquera
9 Fabio Semenzato
8 Sergio Parisse (captain)
7 Mauro Bergamasco
6 Alessandro Zanni
5 Cornelius van Zyl
4 Quintin Geldenhuys
3 Martin Castrogiovanni
2 Leonardo Ghiraldini
1 Salvatore Perugini.

Replacements:
16 Fabio Ongaro
17 Andrea Lo Cicero
18 Marco Bortolami
19 Paul Derbyshire
20 Edoardo Gori
21 Riccardo Bocchino
22 Luke McLean.

Afternoon all.

With just a few days to go now until a massive winner takes all game between Ireland and Italy, it's time to get our thoughts and opinions into one place.

There are many topics to discuss;

- Who'll start at 10?
- Who'll win the battle of the scrums?
- Who plays at 12 if D'Arcy isn't fit?

As a result of not getting the try bonus point against the USA (with Italy having managed to do so earlier today), we find ourselves in a situation whereby we either top the group or go home.

This is an absolutely massive game and the Italians will have been targeting for a long time now, much like Ireland targeted the Australia game.

So what are people's thoughts and feelings about the game?

- What tactics should we use?
- Where should we attack Italy?
- Where can Italy hurt Ireland?
- Who'll get the call in the highly contested positions of 9, 10 and 11?

I can't wait for this one.

Bring. It. On.

Last edited by MMC on Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:42 am; edited 3 times in total
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced - Page 6 Empty Re: Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced

Post by BlueMuff Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:22 am

red_stag wrote:Will we see Sexton at 12 once again in this game. Id have been happy for Sexton to play personally but another bad day from the boot in a stadium reknowned for difficulty kicking and it would be very hard to see him comeback in this tournament.

Plus we could be out of the WC as a result.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced - Page 6 Empty Re: Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced

Post by BlueMuff Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:26 am

roddersm wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:His kicking from hand against USA was diabolical. ROG's was very good against Russia

The USA was 3 games ago and he's since turned it around. ROG hardly kicked vs Russia and his two cross kicks were too long and too short respectively, the 2nd one being a terrible option. Over the 3 games too many of his kicks are going down the throat of the full back and not finding their range. He had a very mixed bag against Russia and how he got MOTM is beyond me.

You really are blinkered just watch the first 5 minutes against Russia again and you'll see how good ROGs kicking is.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:32 am

BlueMuff wrote:
roddersm wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:His kicking from hand against USA was diabolical. ROG's was very good against Russia

The USA was 3 games ago and he's since turned it around. ROG hardly kicked vs Russia and his two cross kicks were too long and too short respectively, the 2nd one being a terrible option. Over the 3 games too many of his kicks are going down the throat of the full back and not finding their range. He had a very mixed bag against Russia and how he got MOTM is beyond me.

You really are blinkered just watch the first 5 minutes against Russia again and you'll see how good ROGs kicking is.

Theres nothing more you would love than to see Sexton coming on and blowing it for the team. Admit it.

You are not a real fan. Rather a provincial hack.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

roddersm wrote:

The crosskick for trimble was of course poor but his territorial kicking was excellent iirc. Sexton has had one decent game after a terrible game in terms of kicking from hand. its hardly been 'turned around'. If you are picking a flyhalf to get us in the Italian half you have to pick ROG imo. that being said i think the whole thing has been decided by Sextons kicking percentage. had it been higher i suspect he would be starting.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:34 am

Lads lets stop with all the bloddy name calling and whinging about the provinces. Same Flip thing every time.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:43 am

BlueMuff wrote:

I've no doubt it was but it's an 80 minute game. ROG did not deliver a composed display over 80 minutes and made a few errors that would have proved costly on another day. He, and Cullen, showed no control at all around that 20 minutes spell either half were Russia were getting their tales up and his descision making generally was poor.

He played exactly the same way as he did against England but the only differences was that Russia had no defence. Many of the tries were fairly lucky or from individual brilliance as opposed to through well executed team play.

It was O'Brien and Trimble punching holes through the Russian defence which laid the platform for that victory, not ROG, who place kicking apart was pretty poor IMHO.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:48 am

Boyne wrote:
BlueMuff wrote:
roddersm wrote:

Theres nothing more you would love than to see Sexton coming on and blowing it for the team. Admit it.

You are not a real fan. Rather a provincial hack.

Grow up. We are discussing the merits of who is the better kicker from hand and you launch in with that dribble.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:18 am

roddersm wrote:
Anyways I think Kidney has got it wrong on the halfbacks. I think Sexton has been playing very well with the ball in hand, better than ROG and his game is more suited to the way we need to play, which is high tempo and using O'Brien, Heaslip, Healy, Bowe and Ferris through the middle.

ROG is a distributer and a kicker, no matter what he and Kidney say, which is not much use if you don't have penetration in the outside channels. He can't draw defenders the way Sexon does so needs to stand much deeper which means everything is signposted and the likes of O'Brien are much less effective.

I'm with Roddersm and MMC. I'm a little bit more worried about Italy now than I was last week because of this selection. Kidney has possibly opted for the more predictable and one-dimensional strategy against the Italians and I think they will be thankful for that.

1) Sexton/Reddan are more likely to have Ireland runing in unpredictable lines/tries early on than ROG's corner kicking close-out gameplay that relinquishes posession to a strong Italian pack while they're still fresh.

2) We've lost a unique and crucial psychological boost in reserve on the bench if the game is tight. We all know that great feeling of security/hope that we all get as ROG marches on the pitch with that determined look in his eye. It's much more difficult for young Sexton to have an impact on a tiring Irish team with a running-passing game than it is for an older ROG with an uplifting territorial kicking game.

3) Bringing Sexton on as an impact sub is much much more risky. If the game is still tight on the scoreboard is Kidney still gonna bring Sexton for the last 20 mins? Imagine how we'll all feel (and how Sexton will feel) if it is Sexton staring down on a relatively easy/difficult kick to win the game just 20 yards to the right and just outside the 22.

4) Sticking with the same subbing strategy at 9/10 would have given some consistency to our tournament strategy and raised the confidence of all the players (including ROG). Dropping Sexton completely for an important game is a much more disruptive decision. Will we now be sticking with ROG or will we be scrapping it all again and going back to Sexton for the next game? Neither is ideal. It just seems we're sacrificing long-term strategy for short-term tactics in order to beat the perennial 6-Nations wooden spooners.

Anyways. Don't get me wrong. Like everyone else I'm still confident and hopeful that it won't come down to anything like this. I think that ROG and Murray are well capable of leading us to a two-score lead before half-time. And most of all I think this game is gonna be won upfront - not in the half-backs. cuppa

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

Nos na Gaoithe wrote:
roddersm wrote:
Anyways I think Kidney has got it wrong on the halfbacks. I think Sexton has been playing very well with the ball in hand, better than ROG and his game is more suited to the way we need to play, which is high tempo and using O'Brien, Heaslip, Healy, Bowe and Ferris through the middle.

ROG is a distributer and a kicker, no matter what he and Kidney say, which is not much use if you don't have penetration in the outside channels. He can't draw defenders the way Sexon does so needs to stand much deeper which means everything is signposted and the likes of O'Brien are much less effective.

I'm with Roddersm and MMC. I'm a little bit more worried about Italy now than I was last week because of this selection. Kidney has possibly opted for the more predictable and one-dimensional strategy against the Italians and I think they will be thankful for that.

1) Sexton/Reddan are more likely to have Ireland runing in unpredictable lines/tries early on than ROG's corner kicking close-out gameplay that relinquishes posession to a strong Italian pack while they're still fresh.

2) We've lost a unique and crucial psychological boost in reserve on the bench if the game is tight. We all know that great feeling of security/hope that we all get as ROG marches on the pitch with that determined look in his eye. It's much more difficult for young Sexton to have an impact on a tiring Irish team with a running-passing game than it is for an older ROG with an uplifting territorial kicking game.

3) Bringing Sexton on as an impact sub is much much more risky. If the game is still tight on the scoreboard is Kidney still gonna bring Sexton for the last 20 mins? Imagine how we'll all feel (and how Sexton will feel) if it is Sexton staring down on a relatively easy/difficult kick to win the game just 20 yards to the right and just outside the 22.

4) Sticking with the same subbing strategy at 9/10 would have given some consistency to our tournament strategy and raised the confidence of all the players (including ROG). Dropping Sexton completely for an important game is a much more disruptive decision. Will we now be sticking with ROG or will we be scrapping it all again and going back to Sexton for the next game? Neither is ideal. It just seems we're sacrificing long-term strategy for short-term tactics in order to beat the perennial 6-Nations wooden spooners.

Anyways. Don't get me wrong. Like everyone else I'm still confident and hopeful that it won't come down to anything like this. I think that ROG and Murray are well capable of leading us to a two-score lead before half-time. And most of all I think this game is gonna be won upfront - not in the half-backs. cuppa

Well i wasnt worried until now

some good points

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

Nos some excellent points:

1 - I think this is a very black and white view that the media has exaggerated IMO. Sexton is well able to play the corners and ROG can move a backline too.

2 - I agree in full with this.

3 - I think we could see Sexton subbing on at 12 again and keeping O'Gara on the pitch.

4 - Disagree with this point. Must win games at the World Cup are important and the long term strategy can wait until post RWC. Sexton has made many chances but is not above being dropped. A horses for courses selection is appropriate and although I wanted Sexton to start personally I am not too unhappy.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:28 am

BlueMuff wrote:
red_stag wrote:Will we see Sexton at 12 once again in this game. Id have been happy for Sexton to play personally but another bad day from the boot in a stadium reknowned for difficulty kicking and it would be very hard to see him comeback in this tournament.

Plus we could be out of the WC as a result.

JESUS Stag,

You cannot come on here making statements like that.
You will have Boyne and the rest of his crew lambasting you for even thinking such a thing.

I called this 2 weeks ago and was hounded for even airing my views.

Some people on here are more interested in their Provincial preferences than what's best for Ireland.

Not very hard to gauge who I am referring to now is it. Very Happy

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:33 am

Sexton is having a mare with the boot. Its clear. What I object to is certain ppl obviously delighting in the fact.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:34 am

Boyne wrote:Sexton is having a mare with the boot. Its clear. What I object to is certain ppl obviously delighting in the fact.

This I agree with Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced - Page 6 3610695981
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:34 am

I have been waiting until the team was announced before even starting to read this thread. I clicked on it wondering if it was the usual bickering, or if the match might even be discussed.

Oh well.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:34 am

red_stag wrote:
3 - I think we could see Sexton subbing on at 12 again and keeping O'Gara on the pitch.

4 - Disagree with this point. Must win games at the World Cup are important and the long term strategy can wait until post RWC. Sexton has made many chances but is not above being dropped. A horses for courses selection is appropriate and although I wanted Sexton to start personally I am not too unhappy.

Stag. Thanks for point 3. I would like to see that. Because, even as a Sexton supporter, I dont want to see him standing over the vital penalty in his current form.

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:35 am

Feic it Greybeard - lets break the trend.

Question: Is Italian backrow is an area of strenght that fans and media have neglected to discuss?

Zanni, Bergamasco, Parisse with Derbyshire on the bench.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:37 am

No probs Nos - he's played there in the Summer Warmup games and again in the World Cup against Australia. I'd expect that to be our move on Sunday.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:38 am

red_stag wrote:Feic it Greybeard - lets break the trend.

Question: Is Italian backrow is an area of strenght that fans and media have neglected to discuss?

All incredibly good, but all very 'glamour' if you know what I mean. They are all very exciting players, but Parisse is the glory boy and Zanni should be doing the donkey work in the background, but instead he's trying just as hard to be Parisse.

On any given day one of the three will be in the running for MotM, but they need a bit more of a team/unit ethic.

I'd probably be killed by Italian fans for saying that.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:39 am

red_stag wrote:Nos some excellent points:

1 - I think this is a very black and white view that the media has exaggerated IMO. Sexton is well able to play the corners and ROG can move a backline too.

No stag. It is not about moving the backline. It is about getting the most out of our best attacking players.

It is black and white. ROG is better at executing set plays and passing along the backline but we don't have the pace in the outside channels to make breaks against an organised defence. BOD cuts back in too much these days and Kearney doesn't hit the line. Bowe is more effectice through the middle and Earls is more of a broken field runner.

Sexton is much better at using the likes of Bowe, O'Brien etc. running of his shoulder and breaking through defences. Just like Steyn does with SA he takes the ball flat, has great sleight of hand and the size do draw defenders. ROG cannot do this and thus we are far weaker against the better teams when he plays.

What ROG does well is come on late when defences are less organised and spread the ball wide or chip in behind. Thats why hes the better impact sub but against and organised defence Sexton is much better.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:39 am

Could the same not be said of Ferris, O'Brien and Heaslip?
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:42 am

The argument about bringing on subs if the game is tight is a decent one but i would suggest the reason for the Murray/ROG half back pairing starting is that we arent going to let it be tight.

We are going to strangle italy and if they want to mix it up and try and get amongst us then we are ready for it. I still feel Sexton would have started but for his missed kicks but Kidney isnt assuming it will be tight like we are. He is picking this team to go out and give the italians nothing so tthat by the 60minute mark we may have the luxury of subbing ROG for sexton without worry.

Stag

Italy have a good backrow and in Parisse they probably have the better of us (on form) over Heaslip. Their 6 and 7 though arent in the same league as SOB and Ferris imo. as was mentioned above as well they dont have anyone as good at hitting rucks and destructive tackling as Ferris

Last edited by Standulstermen on Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:42 am

red_stag wrote:Nos some excellent points:

I disagree with this one though. I accept that its nowhere near black and white in terms of "flare" or "passing" or running specific lines. BUT I do believe that Sexton clearly puts Ireland on the front foot in terms of both attacking and (perhaps even more imortantly) in terms of defending the game line. And that is the only reason I prefer to see Sexton in there as No. 1.

If Sexton didn't provide that then I dont think he'd in any way be a challenge to ROG's kicking, cool-head and general game-play.

Last edited by Nos na Gaoithe on Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:43 am

In my eyes Sexton is still the man and must be given a chance. ROG has had the better RWC but i still have him behind Sexton. All Sexton needs is to get some confidence back, i honestly feel that he would be the better option against the Italians.

I am not complaining that ROG is starting but i really wanted to see Sexton getanother chance to start.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:43 am

red_stag wrote:
Boyne wrote:Sexton is having a mare with the boot. Its clear. What I object to is certain ppl obviously delighting in the fact.

This I agree with Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced - Page 6 3610695981

I presume this is aimed at me.

1. Be man enough enough to name it rather than hiding behind "certain people".

2. Show me one post where I have been "delighted" with Sexton missing kicks. I have always believed that ROG should play due to his superior decision making, his passing of both hands and his kicking from hand and place kicking. You havnt got your way and now you are resorting to unsupported personal attacks.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

red_stag wrote:No probs Nos - he's played there in the Summer Warmup games and again in the World Cup against Australia. I'd expect that to be our move on Sunday.

Well that would blow my theory that Murray is playing because they want to bring Reddan and Sexton on as a unit after Rog moves their forward pack around for an hour and the game loosens up.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

red_stag wrote:Feic it Greybeard - lets break the trend.

i think they are good and have the best number 8 in the world

but as i said in another thread they are about to meet the "3 backrows of the Apocalypse"(tm)

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

Blue - for me its aimed at nobody in particular. I do think that this World Cup and warm up series has been characterised by a large number of fans (not limited to this site) with agendas and who see 4 provinces rather than 1 national team.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:47 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
red_stag wrote:No probs Nos - he's played there in the Summer Warmup games and again in the World Cup against Australia. I'd expect that to be our move on Sunday.

Well that would blow my theory that Murray is playing because they want to bring Reddan and Sexton on as a unit after Rog moves their forward pack around for an hour and the game loosens up.

They may very well do that too. I love that we have these options open too us. Italy have to prepare for both cases and we keep them guessing.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:47 am

red_stag wrote:Could the same not be said of Ferris, O'Brien and Heaslip?

I don't think so, but the balance between them doesn't seem 100% right either. Heaslip isn't performing to his usual standard, though I don't know if that's because of the knock he took in the warm ups, or if his natural game is being overshadowed by the others.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:48 am

red_stag wrote:Blue - for me its aimed at nobody in particular. I do think that this World Cup and warm up series has been characterised by a large number of fans (not limited to this site) with agendas and who see 4 provinces rather than 1 national team.

It's always been that way.

If the internet existed during the Ward/Campbell days it would probably have gone into meltdown.

We're bloody lucky to have both of them.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:49 am

I have faith in Declan Kidney, always have done. He has copped a load of bashing on here so if Ireland do beat Italy and then beat Wales (not unlikely) then will we see some people eating humble pie? GIBBO, i am looking in your direction Very Happy Laugh

Seriously though, DK has done well with his selections and he has a plan that is currently working so lets not get all negative about this. Get behind the boys and hopefully we ill see Wales in the 1/4 finals Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:54 am

Anyone else see that Ireland are obliged to train with Puma rugby balls which are not used internationally. A lot of players have apparently cited difficulty in adapting to the standard issue rugby balls and claim this is a factor in poor backline play. Puma apparently sought to resolve this with the application of the sticky hexagonal scale chest pads on the latest kit. Paul McNaughton is in negotiations with Puma to allow them to train using whatever balls they wish. This all came out when Ulster Rugby rejected chaging their jersey manufacturers to Puma for this very reason claiming it may hurt their developing backline.

Spoiler:
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

red_stag wrote:Anyone else see that Ireland are obliged to train with Puma rugby balls which are not used internationally. A lot of players have apparently cited difficulty in adapting to the standard issue rugby balls and claim this is a factor in poor backline play. Puma apparently sought to resolve this with the application of the sticky hexagonal scale chest pads on the latest kit. Paul McNaughton is in negotiations with Puma to allow them to train using whatever balls they wish. This all came out when Ulster Rugby rejected chaging their jersey manufacturers to Puma for this very reason claiming it may hurt their developing backline.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

When is the Italian team announced lads?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:58 am

if kidney gets us to a semi final i will certainly doff my cap to the guy.

if rog has a stormer from the off on Sunday morning i do not think we should replace him as a token replacement.

We are certainly blessed to have both players. The one issue with the rotation is the starting out half has rarely produced an excellent performance and has been usurped by the person coming off the bench in most games

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

Mickado wrote:When is the Italian team announced lads?

Top of the page. Was announced during the night. Ya muppah! Smile

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:03 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

Christ. Doh

ok, ya got me. Dunces cap for the rest of the day.

Pretty pish poor set of half backs. You'd have to think the Italian backrow and midfeild will be minding in defense. Should open things up out wide for us.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:04 pm

Mickado wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

Christ. Doh

ok, ya got me. Dunces cap for the rest of the day.

Pretty pish poor set of half backs. You'd have to think the Italian backrow and midfeild will be minding in defense. Should open things up out wide for us.

Ours or theirs? Run

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm

Forget about out wide. It is the centres and halfbacks that need targetting. Same approach as the Aussies match. Their midfield can be exposed and targetted.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm

been named mick.

A Masi (Racing Metro 92); T Benvenuti (Benetton Treviso), G Canale (Clermont), G Garcia (Benetton Treviso), Mirco Bergamasco (Racing Metro); L Orquera (Brive), F Semenzato (Benetton Treviso); S Perugini (Aironi), L Ghiraldini (Benetton Treviso), M Castrogiovanni (Leicester), Q Geldenhuys (Aironi), C van Zyl (Benetton Treviso), A Zanni (Benetton Treviso), Mauro Bergamasco (Stade Francais), S Parisse (Stade Francais, capt).

Replacements: F Ongaro (Aironi), A lo Cicero (Racing Metro), M Bortolami (Aironi), P Derbyshire (Benetton Treviso), E Gori (Benetton Treviso), R Bocchino (Aironi), L McLean (Benetton Treviso).

surely if we get heaslip,sob wingers running at orquera we will get some joy. he is nearly as poor a tackler as ramiro pez.

they have a decent pack - nothing new there and a few reasonable backs.

will be some battle but would fancy us to get through

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:07 pm

Exactly Dave - target Orquera. I actually don't think a great deal of the Italian tight 5.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:07 pm

red_stag wrote:Blue - for me its aimed at nobody in particular. I do think that this World Cup and warm up series has been characterised by a large number of fans (not limited to this site) with agendas and who see 4 provinces rather than 1 national team.

To be honest stag I think a bigger problem is that there are number of fans who assume that every opinion is motivated by provincial bias.

I've not doubt that in some cases that is true but I think for the majority of people on here there is sound logic behind their opinions and sometimes people just have differing points of view.

It doesn't help the debates when people just cry provincial bias everytime someone doesn't agree with them.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:09 pm

I know what you mean Rodders - its a vicious circle. The response to that is "oh you think I'm biased beacsue you are" and on and on and on.

Very annoying. It puts me off international rugby so much. I've had Cork Limerick banter with Munster fans but its never like this. Its nearly worse outside of 606 just talking to people casually about the game.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:11 pm

red_stag wrote:Forget about out wide. It is the centres and halfbacks that need targetting. Same approach as the Aussies match. Their midfield can be exposed and targetted.

Agreed. Don't want to see any of ROG's long flat skip passes!! Just pin them in their own 22 and then pummel their forwards and midfield to pieces at the breakdown and fringes. Penalties and tries will ensue...

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:12 pm

red_stag wrote:Forget about out wide. It is the centres and halfbacks that need targetting. Same approach as the Aussies match. Their midfield can be exposed and targetted.

As our approach to the Aussies or as the Aussies approach to the Italians?
The Italians are weak defensively in the halfbacks, but their cover defense out wide isn't as good as Australias. There will be plenty to be gained if we tie them up in midfield and stretch them out wide.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:13 pm

Nos na Gaoithe wrote:

Agreed. Don't want to see any of ROG's long flat skip passes!! Just pin them in their own 22 and then pummel their forwards and midfield to pieces at the breakdown and fringes. Penalties and tries will ensue...

Simple isn't it Smile We'll do fine.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:17 pm

Nos na Gaoithe wrote:

Thats why I wanted Sexton to start. None of the maverick stuff from ROG. If it works great but I can't get those two intercepts out of my head. I know the 1st one was D'arcy but it came from ROG calling a backline move inside our own half.

ROG needs to play heads up and not try and prove he's Quade Cooper with the ball in his hands.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:17 pm

Mickado wrote:

As our approach to the Aussies or as the Aussies approach to the Italians?
The Italians are weak defensively in the halfbacks, but their cover defense out wide isn't as good as Australias. There will be plenty to be gained if we tie them up in midfield and stretch them out wide.

Our approach to Aussie game I mean. Target Orquera, and target Garcia with our backrow runners. Target the young Semenzato like Ferris against Genia and I think Kearney (or Earls) can exploit the outside centre channel. Emerick ran riot down this channell in the USA game. Then on occasion its simple hands to get the ball wide. Wait for them to rush up and let ROG pin them back into space and target what I still think is a poor enough Italian lineout.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:20 pm

I think it would be a good move for us (if possible) to instigate the first scrum, like we did against Australia.
The choke tackle isn’t something we need to use too much against this type of team, but it would set down a psychological marker from early on that we can scrummage.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:21 pm

I like that Mick. Penalty awarded to Ireland - 'we'll take the scrum'.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next