The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced

+39
Don Alfonso
littlejohn
mrsuperclear
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Artful_Dodger
ME-109
debaters1
greybeard
Nos na Gaoithe
WillyGilly
GunsGerms
Knowsit17
Irish Curry
formerly known as Sam
valjester
TheGreyGhost
Jenifer McLadyboy
dublin_dave
Thomond
eirebilly
thebandwagonsociety
D24tress
Sin é
Standulstermen
Feckless Rogue
majesticimperialman
Tayto
WelshinEdinburgh
emack2
clivemcl
Boyne
red_stag
rodders
Mickado
Cari
BlueMuff
asoreleftshoulder
MMC
43 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced - Page 2 Empty Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced

Post by MMC Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ireland:
15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
9 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:

16 - Sean Cronin (Leinster)
17 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
18 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
19 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
22 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)

Italy:
15 Andrea Masi
14 Tommaso Benvenuti
13 Gonzalo Canale
12 Gonzalo Garcia
11 Mirco Bergamasco
10 Luciano Orquera
9 Fabio Semenzato
8 Sergio Parisse (captain)
7 Mauro Bergamasco
6 Alessandro Zanni
5 Cornelius van Zyl
4 Quintin Geldenhuys
3 Martin Castrogiovanni
2 Leonardo Ghiraldini
1 Salvatore Perugini.

Replacements:
16 Fabio Ongaro
17 Andrea Lo Cicero
18 Marco Bortolami
19 Paul Derbyshire
20 Edoardo Gori
21 Riccardo Bocchino
22 Luke McLean.

Afternoon all.

With just a few days to go now until a massive winner takes all game between Ireland and Italy, it's time to get our thoughts and opinions into one place.

There are many topics to discuss;

- Who'll start at 10?
- Who'll win the battle of the scrums?
- Who plays at 12 if D'Arcy isn't fit?

As a result of not getting the try bonus point against the USA (with Italy having managed to do so earlier today), we find ourselves in a situation whereby we either top the group or go home.

This is an absolutely massive game and the Italians will have been targeting for a long time now, much like Ireland targeted the Australia game.

So what are people's thoughts and feelings about the game?

- What tactics should we use?
- Where should we attack Italy?
- Where can Italy hurt Ireland?
- Who'll get the call in the highly contested positions of 9, 10 and 11?

I can't wait for this one.

Bring. It. On.

Last edited by MMC on Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:42 am; edited 3 times in total
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced

Post by rodders Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:04 pm

Yeah I know stag. I hope you are right sir! OK You seem to have more faith in the token Ulster man than me Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced

Post by Tayto Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:15 pm

I would not have any concerns about our scrummaging against Italy.
Mallet talking it up again looking for attention from referees.

I'm sure the boys will be relishing the first scrum.

With regards the half backs I would like to see Murray/ROG for this one.
Murray's physicality would be a plus against the Italians.
ROG for obvious reasons,he's the form 10
Trimble to start ahead of Earls and if Darcy is out then I would go with Wallace
Bench, Court,Cronin,Ryan,Leamy,Boss,Sexton,Earls.

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:16 pm

I know this is changing to subject, but any one what the score was today , Ree: Italy's game?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:18 pm

I reckon we're sorted to be quite honest. Just to alarm you slightly - last time I was so confident about a must win game Munster crashed to defeat agains Quins!!!
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:19 pm

Maj - Italy won 27-10
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:19 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I know this is changing to subject, but any one what the score was today , Ree: Italy's game?

27-10 to Italy, 4 tries to 1.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:22 pm

It's knockout rugby now. Every game is a fight to the death. I think that'll suit the Irish lads. In the 6 Nations we always have it in the back of our minds that we need a big score against Italy because other teams like France normally beat them well. We lost a few 6 Nations Championships on points difference. And if we fail to start putting on a big score our confidence begins to deteriorate. In this game we'll just be going out to win a knockout match against a team we're better than. Just like we're used to in the HEC.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:24 pm

Cheers MMC.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:59 pm

Some good pics of the squad training here: http://www.irishrugby.ie/rwc/24145.php
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 28 Sep 2011, 9:26 am

Posted this in the other thread but is probably more apt on here;

That is it in a nutshell. the Italians are talking this game up and it is making the media and fans jittery. If i were Deccie i would be saying to the players

-they played a blinder against us in the 6N
-it was one of our worst ever performances
-they were at home
-we dont have Poite refereeing this sunday
-WE STILL WON!

I dont care how much Parisse, Castro or any other italian talks up their chances, we are a better team than they are with better players and if we turn up we will win! End of story.
We should go out all guns blazing, take our points, give them a mountain to climb and see how their resolve holds.

we have a better 2nd row, better backrow, better half backs and a better back three. IF they play like it we will win. Lets not let the Italians talk themselves into the game.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 9:33 am

Yeah posted in the other thread too. Meant to put it here:

Anyone else getting really nervous about this game? BlueMuff made a valid point earlier that if this one was in the 6N we would expect to win. However there is so much at stake here for both sides.

I've been very impressed with the Azzuri. In fact they look as good as an Italian side as I've seen in a while. The fact that they can win by any margin and qualify makes this a very dangerous game and if they can suck us into a tight arm wrestle we could be in trouble.

I think we need to really come out and attack them from the off. Not out wide but through the middle with O'Brien, Heaslip, Ferris, Healy and Bowe and try and put a few tries on the board early and force them to try and chase the game.

I don't think we can afford to get into a kicking dual with them and play the percentages. We really need to shift their pack around and hope that they tire late on after a 5 day turn around from the USA game. .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 28 Sep 2011, 9:54 am

Rodders - are you really nervous because we'll go out or really nervous because you think Italy are a good team?

I don't see the fear for Italy. It would be as if Australia developed a strong scrum and played with a full strenght team (rather than missing Pocock and Moore) against Ireland in 6 months time. Would they fear us?

I fancy they'd welcome taking us on under those circumstances and we should aswell. In Rome we had dreadful scrum, only 2 lineout jumpers, Fitzgerald at fullback, Poite as the referee, McFadden making his debut and Tomas O'Leary as our scrumhalf.

So far in this 6 Nations Italy have simply fallen off tackles. They've conceded 8 tries in their 3 games. We've conceceded a mere three against the same opponents. They are missing about a dozen tackles every game and their only weapons appear to be Parisse and a strong scrum.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:03 am

I think all the trepidation is coming Ireland's uncanny ability of sheeting on ze eggs and our seeming inability to string 2 good performances back to back.

We have seen no evidence that we are capable of that for several years now.

Our fears may be a touch irrational but they are valid fears.

It will be tight.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:03 am

Anyone just get the feeling we’re due a blinder of a game from certain players?

I reckon Kidney will pick Sexton, the boards will go into raptures, he’ll kick 7 from 7 and Heaslip will bag a brace of tries.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:07 am

red_stag wrote:Rodders - are you really nervous because we'll go out or really nervous because you think Italy are a good team?

Yeah both stag. I thought there set piece looked very strong against the USA and they have a bit of running threat too. Looking at the respective results I don't think there is too much between us.

It's a horrible last game to play and if any of our guys have one eye on the QF then we could get turned over. We're really going to have to put our bodies on the line out there. Italy have nothing to lose and everything to play for, whereas we have everything to lose and that makes this a very dangerous game.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:09 am

red_stag wrote:In Rome we had dreadful scrum, only 2 lineout jumpers, Fitzgerald at fullback, Poite as the referee, McFadden making his debut and Tomas O'Leary as our scrumhalf.

They are missing about a dozen tackles every game and their only weapons appear to be Parisse and a strong scrum.

That makes me feel a lot more confident. I wouldn't say I'm worried about Italy as such. I'm worried about the thought of losing the game and being knocked out.

This is the team we had against Italy in Rome:
15. L Fitzgerald (Leinster)
14. F McFadden (Leinster)
13. B O'Driscoll (Leinster, capt)
12. G D'Arcy (Leinster)
11. K Earls (Munster)
10. J Sexton (Leinster)
9. T O'Leary (Munster)

1. C Healy (Leinster)
2. R Best (Ulster)
3. M Ross (Leinster)
4. D O'Callaghan (Munster)
5. P O'Connell (Munster)
6. D Leamy (Munster)
7. D Wallace (Munster)
8. S O'Brien (Leinster).

Replacements:
16. S Cronin (Connacht)
17. T Court (Ulster)
18. L Cullen (Leinster)
19. S Jennings (Leinster)
20. E Reddan (Leinster)
21. R O'Gara (Munster)
22. P Wallace (Ulster)

Now let's take a look at the 22 that DK will probably pick for Sunday's game:
15. R Kearney (Leinster)
14. T Bowe (Ospreys)
13. B O'Driscoll (Leinster, capt)
12. G D'Arcy (Leinster)
11. K Earls (Munster)
10. J Sexton (Leinster)
9. E Reddan (Leinster)

1. C Healy (Leinster)
2. R Best (Ulster)
3. M Ross (Leinster)
4. D O'Callaghan (Munster)
5. P O'Connell (Munster)
6. S Ferris (Ulster)
7. S O'Brien (Leinster)
8. J Heaslip (Leinster)

Replacements:
16. S Cronin (Leinster)
17. T Court (Ulster)
18. D Ryan (Munster)
19. D Leamy (Munster)
20. C Murray (Leinster)
21. R O'Gara (Munster)
22. A Trimble (Ulster)

In terms of just personnel changes, we're stronger in the following positions:
15. R Kearney over L Fitzgerald
14. T Bowe over F McFadden
12. D'Arcy now over D'Arcy of 6 months ago (hopefully Aus wasn't a flash in the pan)
9. E Reddan over T O'Leary

Frontrow - much more cohesive unit now having had 6 months longer with Feek and working together consistently over that time.

6. S Ferris over D Leamy

Our scrum is certainly better, our lineout with the extra options of extra tail jumpers plus a fit POC and on-form Rory Best is also considerably better than it was 6 months ago.

We have more impact on the subs bench too, regardless of whether it's Earls or Trimble sitting on it.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:13 am

David Wallace (as pundit on RTE world cup highlights - he is actually very good) that in a stadium with a roof you get completely knackered after about an hour due to the lack of oxygen. He says its like playing at altitude. This will be good news for Ireland as we should be relatively fresh with our 7 day tour-around compared to the Italian's 5 days.

Thornley was saying the USA stole a couple of lineouts - which is good news. Also saying that its O'Gara/Murray starting as the stadium in Dunedin has offered the worst kicking results so far (apparently gusts of wind come in at the corners somehow).

If Sexton is dropped, the worst has happened and he has nothing to fear anymore so he can concentrate on getting his kicking game together now for what is hopefully a QF.

Actually, Deccie & Co are playing a blinder - no one has a clue who or what to expect.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:15 am

Mickado wrote:
I reckon Kidney will pick Sexton, the boards will go into raptures, he’ll kick 7 from 7 and Heaslip will bag a brace of tries.

An interesting stat from Biltong this morning was that Italy are 2nd bottom of the penalty conceded list. That suggests that there won't be too many shots at goal in this game.

I believe Sexton is the guy for this game as he gets more out of O'Brien, Bowe and Heaslip. Our strengths are through the middle and targetting that 10-12 channel and Sexton is better at bringing in runners off his shoulders with his short passing game. That is were we are most effective these days not spreading the ball to the outside channels off 1st phase.

O'Gara's superior long passing isn't much benefit these days because we have very little penetration at 13 and 15.

There is talk from Thornley that Murray and ROG may start though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:16 am

Sin é wrote:Actually, Deccie & Co are playing a blinder - no one has a clue who or what to expect.

Remember the days when you could predict without question what the starting XV or even 22 would be?

Now in a must win game we are debating about one third of the positions. Reddan or Murray? ROG or Sexton? Darcy or Wallace or Sexton? Trimble or Earls? Kearney or Earls? Were it not for injury we'd be looking at Flannery or Best and Wallace challenging Ferris/O'Brien/Heaslip also.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:18 am

right lads last week i got a source that gave me the team for russia and it was pretty spot on the mark except that court got injured ( i had a thread about possible lineups)

now this week the team will be

Healy
Best
Ross

DOC
POC (injury doubt, cullen to start if injured)

Ferris
SOB
Heislip

Murray
ROG

Earls
Dorce
BOD
Bowe
Kearney

I am inclined to believe the person after they got the russia team one correct and i dont think you could have guessed it

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:22 am

Thats not a good thing stag. It's important to stick to the same key combinations. The Boks for example have done very little rotation and are looking stronger by the game.

All the previous winners had a very settled sides. A little rotation is fine to keep guys fresh but not in the key positions like 2, 8, 9, 10 and 12.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:26 am

roddersm wrote:Thats not a good thing stag. It's important to stick to the same key combinations. The Boks for example have done very little rotation and are looking stronger by the game.

All the previous winners had a very settled sides. A little rotation is fine to keep guys fresh but not in the key positions like 2, 8, 9, 10 and 12.

This is why Sexton should start with Reddan.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:26 am

D24tress wrote:
POC (injury doubt, cullen to start if injured)

That could be disastrous if it's more serious than was first said.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:28 am

roddersm wrote:Thats not a good thing stag. It's important to stick to the same key combinations. The Boks for example have done very little rotation and are looking stronger by the game.

Not sure I agree about rotation Rodders, Leinster were very successful in rotating any position they had 2 players of relatively equal strength last year. I can see us eventually being in a position where we could play Healy/VDM, Strauss/Cronin, Ross/Hagan, Heaslip/Ruddock, Reddan/Boss, Darcy/McFadden , Fitzgerald/Carr week on week.

Consistency of performance (of the team) is important but it’s no harm to have rotation in any position if the strength is there.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:29 am

Gerry is usually spot on in his teams and as mentioned above he is predicting

Murray
ROG

to start.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:30 am

I both agree and disagree with you here rodders.

If we can win all our pool games and use quite a number of different combinations it doing so it has a number of positive effects.

- Our players are fresher.
- We limit our exposure to injuries.
- We have a much clearer picture of our best 15/22.

Assuming we get to the 1/4 final I expect to see minimal changes to the team thereafter. If we were doing this all through the pool stages than a) we'd have more injuries than we do now, and b) our players would be exhausted by the final should we get there.

For the record, if I were DK I'd start Sexton and Reddan for this one with ROG and Murray on the bench.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:31 am

Boyne wrote:

You were only saying a week ago that Sexton didnt get enough game time with Sexton. Now your saying its the consistent approach. Make up your mind.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

I really cant undestand what the arguement for Sexton is anymore

38% in the 6Ns
39% in the WC

This is a no brainer. He is not good enough to start. He does not add that much more than ROG that we can carry such a poor kicker.

Both have their strenghts and weaknesses both are broadly balance each other out. However we cannot take a chance on a -40% kicker.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

I genuinely believed Kidney had nailed his colours by picking Sexton in the first two games but the more i think about it the more i am pleased if ROG gets the nod.

Italy have improved massively but they arent the kind of side who will run the ball 80m back and score a blinder (usually anyway). To that end i think kicking the corners and putting massive pressure on their lineout/kicking game could work for us. The biggest issue in this regard is our defence. I have plenty of belief in ROGs ability to get us in those positions but our line most hold and we must defend in the Italian half as if it were our own tryline (with discipline). If we do that we will force Italy to kick it back at us and be able to set up field position in their half.

If we can take the sting out of the Italians in their own half I think we can close out the game quickly.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:35 am

Boyne wrote:

I agree Boyne. Murray is our 3rd starting 9 in 3 games. That is insane. There is no other side chopping and changing their half backs like we are. The 8, 9 and 10 have to work in tandem and have a telepathic understanding and if we keep changing around we are not going to build the momentum and cohesion we need.

We need to be on an upward curve from game to game not a rollercoaster ride.

The Russian performance was a lot worse than the one against Australia and whilst other sides like England, NZ, wales and SA are getting better each game we are going round in circles again.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:40 am

Sexton didnt get enough game time with Sexton. Now your saying its the consistent approach.

Again, not a bean of an idea what you are on about. Once again.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:42 am

Mickado wrote:
Not sure I agree about rotation Rodders, Leinster were very successful in rotating any position they had 2 players of relatively equal strength last year.

Yes but club rugby is different Mick. The players are much more familiar with each other as they are playing and training with each other all season as opposed to a few to times a year.

For example ROG and D'arcy have maybe lined up together 50 times over 8 years for Ireland but Sexton and D'arcy would play together 30 odd times a season. A big difference.

The other thing is that in club rugby the big games our spread out over the season not back to back like the RWC. That's why consistancy is so important because there is no time to regain momentum once you have lost it and every game is a must win.

The BOKs are the most successful RWC side and they hardly ever rotate.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:42 am

Right so it was a problem when Kidney picked the same team often. Now it is a problem when he doesn't Rolling Eyes
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:46 am

Blue, where are you getting those kicking stats from?

For Sexton to have 38% in the 6nations we would have had to take about 24 kicks, which he clearly didn’t.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:51 am

Hugh Farrelly wrote:Denis Leamy had an eye-catching cameo against Russia and would be perfectly suited to this challenge, but it makes sense to start the trio that dominated a highly-rated Australian unit, particularly as the back-row is an area of considerable strength for Italy.

There has been speculation that Damien Varley's size and scrummaging power gives him a shot at the match-22 for a match where the scrum will play a dominant role, but Sean Cronin performed strongly last weekend and his abilities in the loose would be useful if the game opens up later on.
Tony Buckley had a good outing against the Russians, particularly on the tight-head side, but Tom Court offers the greater scrummaging solidity on both sides.

Just read Farrelly's latest piece. There's a few things I find a bit wide of the mark to put it mildly.

First, while I felt Denis Leamy was solid when he came on, the most eye catching thing he did was to not pass to Cronin.

Second, Sean Cronin didn't perform strongly. I thought he had a very mediocre game.

Apparently Tony Buckley "had a good outing". Hilarious!

And finally, this one really made me laugh - Varley's "size and scrummaging power". That's a good one. He clearly thinks that it was Mike Sherry who was brought over and not Varley, who's set piece play is by far the worst facet of his game, and I'm even including his disciplinary record in that.

Sorry to seem so down on players but we need to be realistic here too.

So anyway, back to this Sexton / ROG thing.

Am I the only one that's very worried about the prospect of ROG starting for the reason that we lose our "Ace in the Hole" on the bench? Sexton isn't going to offer any impact coming off the bench, he's a player that has to start. ROG on the other hand has an incredible ability to analyse a game from the sideline and to know exactly what's needed from him should he come on.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:54 am

red_stag wrote:Right so it was a problem when Kidney picked the same team often. Now it is a problem when he doesn't Rolling Eyes

No. Wanting Kidney to experiment more in the AI's is different. Every single leading pundit outside of Ireland has said how important it is to have a consistant selection in the RWC, particularly those who have won the competition before.

We've had one of the kindest fixture lists in terms of rest so there is no need to make wholesale changes unless there are injuries. We had a 8 day turn around from Australia and now another 7. If players aren't fit enough to back those games up then they should be out here.

Come the QF Reddan and Sexton won't have played a full game for 3 weeks if we start with ROG and Murray against Italy. That is suicidal to our chances of beating Wales, should we go past Italy.

If we go with ROG and Murray now then we have to stick with them for Wales and the rest of the tournament. Thats a huge call.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:56 am

roddersm wrote:
red_stag wrote:Right so it was a problem when Kidney picked the same team often. Now it is a problem when he doesn't Rolling Eyes

No. Wanting Kidney to experiment more in the AI's is different. Every single leading pundit outside of Ireland has said how important it is to have a consistant selection in the RWC, particularly those who have won the competition before.

We've had one of the kindest fixture lists in terms of rest so there is no need to make wholesale changes unless there are injuries. We had a 8 day turn around from Australia and now another 7. If players aren't fit enough to back those games up then they should be out here.

Come the QF Reddan and Sexton won't have played a full game for 3 weeks if we start with ROG and Murray against Italy. That is suicidal to our chances of beating Wales, should we go past Italy.

If we go with ROG and Murray now then we have to stick with them for Wales and the rest of the tournament. Thats a huge call.

Dont see how it is a huge call. ROG is on fire playing very well. He can play with Reddan or Murray makes no odds to him.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:02 am

+ 1

Starting Sexton would be madness in this particular stadium (where Carter & Jonny have had kicking problems). It would finish him off confidence wise. ROG is going to miss a few, but he will be able to deal with it.

Interesting how ROG seems to be able to cope with any of the SHs he plays with (or at least his SH never gets the blame when he plays poorly).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:04 am

BlueMuff wrote:
Dont see how it is a huge call. ROG is on fire playing very well. He can play with Reddan or Murray makes no odds to him.

It will make some odds to Heaslip as to who is standing behind him at scrumtime. It will make some odds to ROG as to were he is recieving the ball and it will make some odds to the 3/4 line as to how they line up because ROG stands deeper than Sexton and has a different style of play.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:04 am

I would have agreed with you pre the Oz game rodders but we saw how well that went and Reddan/Sexton hadnt played previously to that.

What i would say is that by chopping and changing the half backs Deccie is exposing himself to much more criticism than would otherwise have been the case. He has got us 3 wins so far and shut me and others up after the Oz game. He deserves the remainder of the RWC to play things out and we will see what happens. It could be inspired picking Murray and ROG (if this indeed the case). we just wont know until sunday morning

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:06 am

Sin é wrote:

+ 1

Starting Sexton would be madness in this particular stadium (where Carter & Jonny have had kicking problems). It would finish him off confidence wise. ROG is going to miss a few, but he will be able to deal with it.

Interesting how ROG seems to be able to cope with any of the SHs he plays with (or at least his SH never gets the blame when he plays poorly).

I suppose anything is a blessed relief when you are used to TOL Run

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

It could be Stand but no one is going to convince me that is isn't a huge gamble and it flies in the face of what the better performing sides are doing.

Heaslip, Reddan,Sexton; is a tried and tested combination, whereas Heaslip, Murray, ROG isn't. It's not just about the individuals but the combination.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

Stand - Ireland vs Italy - Discussion Thread - Teams Announced - Page 2 1479719350
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:11 am

I'd have also said the better performing sides are rotating just as much as we do if not more.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:14 am

roddersm wrote:It could be Stand but no one is going to convince me that is isn't a huge gamble and it flies in the face of what the better performing sides are doing.

Heaslip, Reddan,Sexton; is a tried and tested combination, whereas Heaslip, Murray, ROG isn't. It's not just about the individuals but the combination.

I can see your point Rodders and like i say i do think Kidney is opening himself up to criticism on it (as opposed to the players) but i dont think Heaslip is going to care in all honesty. the bottom line remains that if our pack can play like they did against Oz on Sunday and in the QF against wales (touch wood) then we will win. If they dont then we will struggle.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:15 am

red_stag wrote:I'd have also said the better performing sides are rotating just as much as we do if not more.

How many half back combinations have SA, Wales, Australia, Argentina and England used?

Carter has been injured for NZ and France have rotated and have been poor. Scotland are another side who rotate a lot and have struggled.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:18 am

England have switched between Flood and Wilkinson. wigglesworth and youngs have both started

SA have used Steyn and Pienaar at 10 and Butch james has been on the pitch (dont know if he played 10 then).
Wales imo havent been all that. They have done well but they lost their big test against SA (however unfortunately that may be) and if Samoa had a kicker then perhaps they would have lost that (that would have been massively unfortunate also mind you)

I dont think there have been any standout teams with the exception of NZ

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:23 am

Rodders - there is more to a team than half backs. But looking at them. SA have rotated their 9 and 10 quite a bit I would say. England have too. France have too. NZ have too. So have Wales.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

Come the big games SA will have du prez and Steyn, NZ will have Cowan/Weepu and Carter and England will have Youngs and Wilkinson. Wales will have Phillips and priestland (or Jones if fit).

We could have any combination of Murray/Reddan and ROG/Sexton.

Starting Boss instead of Murray against Russia was a poor call too in my book. It's not a summer tour were you are trying to keep everyone happy.

It's no conincidence that the pack is settled and performing consistantly whereas the persistant rotation at 9 and 10 is botching up our execution in the backline.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

Above all else I don't get the number of people who insist on being negative about our national team - no matter what team is picked.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next