The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AUS open semi-final 1 - match comment thread

+19
Tom_____
reckoner
kemet
HM Murdock
mthierry
Jahu
Jeremy_Kyle
Henman Bill
luciusmann
barrystar
Simple_Analyst
Josiah Maiestas
LuvSports!
legendkillar
parthi
superochog
break_in_the_fifth
prostaff85
Tenez
23 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

AUS open semi-final 1 - match comment thread - Page 6 Empty AUS open semi-final 1 - match comment thread

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:28 am

First topic message reminder :

OK people there have been a plethora of Fedal articles but I decided to make this one just so we can all post on the same thread during the match itself.

ghost

emancipator - may the serve be with you

Back to top Go down

AUS open semi-final 1 - match comment thread - Page 6 Empty Re: AUS open semi-final 1 - match comment thread

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:42 pm

Agreed it was an absorbing contest but that was a given under the circumstances.

However, the standard, particularly from Fed was low, and pretty abysmal in some stretches of the match. He could barely string together two or three good points. It was a case of one good point followed by 3 or 4 bad ones. It was only close because rafa wasn't too great either, particularly offensively, which is why i thibk he's in big trouble against Novak (really don't expect Murray to come through).

Back to top Go down

AUS open semi-final 1 - match comment thread - Page 6 Empty Re: AUS open semi-final 1 - match comment thread

Post by bogbrush Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:45 pm

Right, so at the low end of what I expected/feared. Yes, glad I was stuck with the customers then (though I did keep glancing at the clock wondering.......) watching it live sounds like it would have been annoying.

Very disappointing really but there you go. I doubt he'll get too flat over it but it does look hard now for more Slams - 31 very soon, there aren't many who have big time Indian Summers.

Big match tomorrow. I think Djokovic will be happy - I wonder who Rafa will be supporting tomorrow????
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Very well done Nadal. Cool

Federer played a UE filled-match. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Didn't see it - just found out the score. Well done Rafa. I will be hoping he beats Djokovic, but hoping he loses to Murray.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Same here, anyone who beats Djoko is my friend Smile thought I fancy Murray to take this AO.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Bogbrush, you would have enjoyed the first 5 games. After that, I think you might have been mostly frustrated.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:03 pm

Too many forehand errors from Federer. The evidence of that match supports the argument that Djokovic could be #1 for a while.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:05 pm

Federer's not doing too bad for a 30 year old against a 25 year old nemesis. Throughout the history of tennis most top haven't done any better, and some did much worse.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm supporting Murray now FEderer's out.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Henman Bill wrote:I'm supporting Murray now FEderer's out.

Hmm, Given my preference order is now 1. Murray, 2. Nole, 3. Nadal I am stuck and will probably hedge by hoping for Nole tomorrow as I don't believe Murray can beat Nadal.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:25 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Nadal by any means but Djoko beating him 6 times in a row is getting boring, so I prefer to see a Nadal win if they play Djokovic. So I don't have to hedge.

1. Murray 2. Nadal 3. Djokovic for my preference.

Nothing against Djokovic either. He's won enough though. Change up please.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Fed maybe 1 more slam left in him?

You can still see him winning 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 against Nadal and Djokovic and even therefore maybe 1 in 10 when he has to play them both.

A bit better odds at Wimbledon and the US Open.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:34 pm

The USO is by far his best chance now, but even there they seem to be slowing down. It's madness.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Interestingly Fed's forehand cost him the match and his backhand held up pretty well. I wonder what BB and Tenez would make of the statistic that Nadal hit more winners and had way less errors than fed on the forehand side. Kind of damages the theory that Nadal just moonballs and waits for his opponent to make errors.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:48 pm

socal1976 wrote:Interestingly Fed's forehand cost him the match and his backhand held up pretty well. I wonder what BB and Tenez would make of the statistic that Nadal hit more winners and had way less errors than fed on the forehand side. Kind of damages the theory that Nadal just moonballs and waits for his opponent to make errors.

Nothing to explain really. One match (against an opponent were you are completely in your element) does not make a trend. Fed was in UE mode.

As for Fed's chances at Wimbledon - you can forget that! Nadal would eat him for breakfast on grass now. Wimby has been his worst slam (performance wise) since 2008.

He has a realistic shot at the USO but probably needs Nadal to lose early.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Yes emancipator but Nadal always hits alot of winners on his forehand side and he hit more winners off that wing than Fed again today. So those that claim its just moonballs till the other guy hits an error are making a drastic overgeneralization.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:56 pm

socal1976 wrote:Yes emancipator but Nadal always hits alot of winners on his forehand side and he hit more winners off that wing than Fed again today. So those that claim its just moonballs till the other guy hits an error are making a drastic overgeneralization.

Yes.. of course, but likewise, Fed clearly has the more offensive and potent forehand (although it has evened up more recently). Only against Nadal does he routinely start making inexplicable errors. Even on the BH, I can only recall one BH dtl winner from Fed. He was hitting them for fun against Del Po. Of course a lot of that has to do with Nadal's defense but Roger can penetrate Novak's defense and he is at least as quick and durable as Nadal, so it is clearly a case of lack of confidence and uncertainty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:12 pm

The difference with 2009 or even FO 11 is that Nadal's BH played a big role in keeping Federer on his toes. Nadal was playing ferocious BH which forced Fwederer to do lots of running. That destroyed Fed's edge and teh rest is history.

It's tough but unless they speed the courts Federer has no chance tio win a slam, all his talent is uselss on those.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Tenez wrote:The difference with 2009 or even FO 11 is that Nadal's BH played a big role in keeping Federer on his toes. Nadal was playing ferocious BH which forced Fwederer to do lots of running. That destroyed Fed's edge and teh rest is history.

It's tough but unless they speed the courts Federer has no chance tio win a slam, all his talent is uselss on those.

Agree with Tenez a good observation Nadal has been hitting much more aggressively off the backhand lately. Still haven't seen him show a true up the line backhand but the cross court looks fierce.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6