The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh Vs. Toulouse Build up thread

+42
R!skysports
maestegmafia
TJ1
glamorganalun
justified sinner
bedfordwelsh
trebellbobaggins
Biltong
Cymroglan
tigertattie
Golden
yappysnap
Pot Hale
doctor_grey
KickAndChase
Knackeredknees
EnglishReign
overlordofthewest
Pal Joey
Dim
LondonTiger
ChequeredJersey
Mickado
valjester
eirebilly
mckay1402
Imperialbigdave
IanBru
AlastairW
Artful_Dodger
Morgannwg
Rava
sensisball
21st Century Schizoid Man
George Carlin
GLove39
whocares
funnyExiledScot
RDW
red_stag
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RuggerRadge2611
46 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Edinburgh Vs. Toulouse Build up thread - Page 2 Empty Edinburgh Vs. Toulouse Build up thread

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 02 Apr 2012, 1:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm going to do my best to keep the feet on the ground here, but I have just bought my Ticket and now I cannot wait for Saturday.

Let's face it, Scottish rugby is in need of a good pick up after the debacle of getting whitewashed in the 6N. The weekend just past kind of set the tone for me. Edinburgh played well and battled past a dogged Scarlets at Murrayfield and the Warriors thumped the Blues and Henson nearly got expelled from his flight home because he was intoxicated.

Now I'm looking forward to Edinburgh's most anticipated match in memory where we have the multiple HC winners Toulouse coming to the capital. Glaws showed the way on how to beat Toulouse in the pool stages, get in their faces and stifle their attacking style of rugby. By the end of the match Glouceseter had run them ragged and closed the game out.

Very similar to what Edinburgh did to London Irish and Racing Metro in the pool stages of the tournament.

Always known for it's sensationalist journalism the Hootsman has chipped in with an article about the French giants "fearing" Denton.

Toulouse admit fears over Dave Denton
By BILL LOTHIAN
Published on Monday 2 April 2012 12:00

DAVE DENTON has emerged as the player Toulouse are most keen to contain when visiting Edinburgh Rugby for Saturday’s Heineken European Cup quarter-final.

The form of the 22-year-old Test back rower was rewarded with man-of-the-match honours as Edinburgh won 26-23 at home to Scarlets at the weekend.

But opposite number Louis Picamoles, capped 21 times by France, was already wary, insisting: “Edinburgh have a lot of young and talented players and play offensive style of rugby with very good consistency.

“Denton is a fine young player and next week will be as difficult as the (recent) France game (a 23-17 win) at Murrayfield. It will be tough, but it is also going to be hugely exciting.”

Picamoles missed Toulouse’s latest fixture, a 22-18 win at Stade Francais to stay top of the French League.

But France prop Jean-Baptise Poux turned out and looked ahead to the Edinburgh clash by insisting it was a major obstacle on the road to the club’s fifth Heineken Cup.

Poux, himself a three time-winner, said: “Edinburgh have the ability to keep the ball and play through a lot of phases. They play attacking rugby and are capable of beating anyone.

“We saw that during the French game against Scotland in the Six Nations. We could have lost.

“I watched several of Edinburgh’s games during the Pool stages. Against Racing Metro they showed a lot of power and, when the Racing players were exhausted, they scored at the last minute to win the game – they are a dangerous team.”

I seriously doubt Toulouse will fear any of our guys but they will be astute enough to pick out the danger players ala Denton. For me the backrow will be critical for this game, and whoever dominates the breakdown will win the game. If Edinburgh can get the quick ball they thrive off I think running Toulouse of the park is a disticnt possibility.

More positive news when I found out that Edinburgh have a chance to set the record attendence for HC UK pool record. 30000 have been sold so far and as far as I am aware the SRU/Edinburgh Rugby are getting lots of publicity on local radio and with Students Unions/ Pubs / Resturants and local advertising to try and break the 37000 that attended the Cardiff Vs. Tolouse game at the Millenium Stadium.

A fantastic achievement for a country with apparently no interest in Rugby. If We get the win against Toulouse and do it with some style I would bet heavily some of those guys will be back.

So this result is not just important for Edinburgh but also for Scottish rugby as a whole in trying to raise the profile of the game. With Glasgow doing so well in the pro12 who knows, maybe after the disapointment of the 6N we are turning the corner?

Anyway as I said I'll try to keep my feet on the ground with this (NO PROMISES) one but I believe we can win this game.

C'mon the Burgh

Black & Red army
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh Vs. Toulouse Build up thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Edinburgh Vs. Toulouse Build up thread

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:43 am

laughing clap

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh Vs. Toulouse Build up thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Edinburgh Vs. Toulouse Build up thread

Post by Guest Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:48 am

Up in Edinburgh this weekend seeing the in-laws but got a bonus of a ticket to the game, not my team but looking forward to a look round Murrayfield, cracking game and an Edinburgh win. Fingers crossed.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:50 am

Recwatcher wrote:Up in Edinburgh this weekend seeing the in-laws but got a bonus of a ticket to the game, not my team but looking forward to a look round Murrayfield, cracking game and an Edinburgh win. Fingers crossed.

Great to have your support! clap I'm assuming you know Edinburgh well if you're visiting inlaws but if you need any tips for a good boozer or the like then I'm sure we can help you out.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Apr 2012, 10:01 am

Will let you know... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 06 Apr 2012, 10:02 am

Black and blue army on the march from the West tomorrow to provide the necessary vocal support to our Edinburgh kith and kin. RDW are the Silence Please signs all down in The Library ? Run

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Apr 2012, 10:07 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:RDW are the Silence Please signs all down in The Library ? Run

Aye very good. It's a known fact that the Weedgies are more vocal than us Edinbuggers but we can still make some noise too when we want to! It was a fantastic, party like atmosphere are the London Irish game and that was only 11000 people. It was a much better atmosphere than some Scotland games with 30-40 000 folk in it.

I really do think it will be fantastic atmosphere tomorrow - 35000 people mainly concentrated together into one half of the stadium, with pitchside standing on the other, going to be good!

Great to have the Weedgies through, although I will definitely make sure I double lock my front door! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 06 Apr 2012, 12:16 pm

Toulouse team just announced:
15. Jauzion
14. Matanavou
13. Fritz
12. David
11. Donguy
10. Beauxis
9. Burgess

1. Poux
2. Servat
3. Johnston
4. Maestri
5. Albacete
6. Bouilhou
7. Dusautoir
8. Picamoles

Subs: 16. Tolofua, 17. Human, 18. Montes, 19. Lamboley, 20. Doussain, 21. Poitrenaud, 22. Nyanga, 23. Galan
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Apr 2012, 12:20 pm

Think it's fair to say they've picked a team to kick the leather off the ball, pin us into the corners, and punish us into submission in the pack before bringing the flair players on to finish us off!

Beauxis at 10 and Jauzion at 15 have have big boots on them.

Don't recognize the 11, 14 or 6 - anyone able to fill me in?

On a different note - over 35000 now! Surely we must beat the UK record of 36728...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 06 Apr 2012, 12:30 pm

Edinburgh team just announced:
15. Brown
14. Jones
13. De Luca
12. Scott
11. Visser
10. Laidlaw
9. Blair

1. Jacobsen
2. Ford
3. Cross
4. Gilchrist
5. Cox
6. Denton
7. Rennie
8. Talei

Subs: 16. Kelly, 17. Traynor, 18. Gilding, 19. McInally, 20. Grant, 21. Leck, 22. Godman, 23. Thompson
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Apr 2012, 12:33 pm

As expected for Edinburgh really. Only surprise being McInally and Grant on the bench together instead of a 2nd row. I'm assuming Denton will be 2nd row cover?

Good move I think actually as Lozada offfers nothing. Saying that I don't really want Denton moved up to 2nd row...

Such a lightweight backline!! I worry about us at ruck time if the backs get isolated from the forwards.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 06 Apr 2012, 1:00 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Think it's fair to say they've picked a team to kick the leather off the ball, pin us into the corners, and punish us into submission in the pack before bringing the flair players on to finish us off!

Beauxis at 10 and Jauzion at 15 have have big boots on them.

Don't recognize the 11, 14 or 6 - anyone able to fill me in?

On a different note - over 35000 now! Surely we must beat the UK record of 36728...

With Mcalister out, they didnt another choice but to start Beauxis anyway...Jauzion at 15 is odd but it is probably down to Poitrenaud average form post 6N.

Matavanou is very fast try scoring machine but not a good defender and particularly weak under the high ball (see game vs gloucester)
Boulhiou: experienced flanker, valuable squad player
donguy : been playing for toulouse for 5 years (brive before), no really used before but already 9 tries this season in T14. solid player.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Apr 2012, 1:11 pm

whocares wrote:
Matavanou is very fast try scoring machine but not a good defender

Him and Visser will be evenly matched then!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 06 Apr 2012, 1:16 pm

Toulouse still an awesome looking side -jeez. C'mon Embra Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 06 Apr 2012, 1:17 pm

Odd Toulouse team. Strong up front as always but seem a bit all over the shop in the backline so I believe that is now where Edinburgh have the advantage.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 06 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

This has got to be the real rugby community on Scotland getting behind Edinburgh. 35-40000 probably sums it up. The rest (if there is any 'rest') on Int days are made up of the St Andrews/Barnton hamper/champer/Mexican wave set who bring nothing to the ground in terms of atmosphere and are basically just a bloody nuisance.

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri 06 Apr 2012, 4:32 pm

Apart from the inclusion of Burgess at 9 this was the back line that was responsible for Stade Francais first home loss in the T14 last week.
I suspect they will be stronger with Burgess in for Dussain. Jauzion looked very, very comfortable at 15, no problem with the high ball and comfortable coming into the line in attack.
Jones will have his hands full with the size and power of his oppposite number, he already has 9 tries in the T14 this year!

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 06 Apr 2012, 5:07 pm

This is damn exciting. The best line up available for us IMO. Anyone fancies hooking up for a pint after send me a PM and ill send you my digits.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri 06 Apr 2012, 6:01 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:This is damn exciting. The best line up available for us IMO. Anyone fancies hooking up for a pint after send me a PM and ill send you my digits.

I was going to ask what everyones arrangements are tommorow about booze ups. Im bringing a couple of non -rugby mates to the game, not sure if they want to get plastered before/after. Im concious of overwhelming them with our unparralledled rugby knowledge, so im a maybe.

ps. you may knowitce from my spelling that ive already started the celebrations.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:09 pm

Did anyone else think it was Saturday today and then get really gutted that it wasn't. Didn't help that my local rugby club had a tens tournament on so it even looked like Saturday.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 07 Apr 2012, 8:28 am

It's today!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo Ale

On a side note it is depressing to see my age has now automatically changed to 25! Sad

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:22 am

Happy birthday, RDW, hope you get a win to celebrate too! Good luck to Edinburgh Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:54 am

Aye happy birthday mate. Currently awaiting my train at kirkcaldy. Exciting!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 2:09 pm

Happy birthday RDW cake

I think that they are very even sides today and it could go either way. Come on Edinburgh Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Sat 07 Apr 2012, 2:20 pm

sensisball wrote:Apart from the inclusion of Burgess at 9 this was the back line that was responsible for Stade Francais first home loss in the T14 last week.
I suspect they will be stronger with Burgess in for Dussain. Jauzion looked very, very comfortable at 15, no problem with the high ball and comfortable coming into the line in attack.
Jones will have his hands full with the size and power of his oppposite number, he already has 9 tries in the T14 this year!

I would have preferred Doussain starting, but Burgess is a decent alternative. The Toulouse wings are fantastic going forward but can be horrendous defenders. Donguy in particular has had some horror shows this season, he won't actually miss the tackle, the problem is getting him in the right position to make the tackle and making sure he tackles the right person. The amount of times he ends up in the wrong place is criminal, if he wasn't such a good finisher he wouldn't be kept around.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Sat 07 Apr 2012, 2:20 pm

Come on Edinburgh!!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 07 Apr 2012, 2:22 pm

As above hoping for an Edinburgh win here!

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:01 pm

God i love Murrayfield Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:04 pm

Come on on Edinburgh, you can do this. Restore some Scottish pride. Though as far as France goes, I don't mind Toulouse too much
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:04 pm

Edinburgh try on 90 seconds.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:05 pm

what a start! Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:06 pm

My last experience of murrayfield was the Toulouse/Stade final. Match was dull, stadium had no atmosphere.

As to the game early try here that may highlight the stupidity of how TMO can be used. Pretty sure Edinbyrgh player knocked on chasing the high ball - but TMO can only look at the grounding.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:06 pm

Outstanding Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:09 pm

Laidlaw Sad
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:11 pm

If anyone needs a link give me a shout and I'll pm you - quality isnt great though.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:16 pm

Good man Art but i have a decent link here OK

Toulous' scrum is being asked some questions here.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:19 pm

Picamoles is a beast isnt he
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:21 pm

That went backwards...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:22 pm

eirebilly wrote:Good man Art but i have a decent link here OK

Toulous' scrum is being asked some questions here.

pm me it please buddy might be better than mine

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:23 pm

Mail Art Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:26 pm

am really, really enjoying this game.

that was a great backpass from Visser to keep the ball in play there.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:27 pm

Its a great match so far dreamer. Ed are doing very well Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:29 pm

they are, they need to start getting more points soon though. Toulouse are getting point every time they get near the Ed 22, Ed need to start doing the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:30 pm

Chucnk - you idiot!

Nige - bit harsh I think!

Oh dear, man in the bin, they really didn't need that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:33 pm

Oh god 2 men in the bin for Edinburgh - Rennie responsible for both yellows in many ways.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:33 pm

I think NIge got told off frm his last match for not issuing yellow's soon enough!

Cynical foul in his own 22 by Rennie and Nige has sent him to the bin too Erm

Blimey.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dim Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:34 pm

Second man in the bin, bit early to say so but that could be that.

Dim

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:34 pm

Oh no, 2 men in the bin. This could get damaging for Ed.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:35 pm

2nd yellow I think is actaully spot on, I always get annoyed when a ref gives a warning for a cynical foul in the 22 instead of issuing a card straight away, but I still think the 1st is a bit harsh.

Tough 10 mins now for Edinburgh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:36 pm

fair play, brilliant individual try, what speed! clap Matanavou.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:36 pm

What a try clap

Why were'nt Ed just killing time with phase play?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next