The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your Summer Eclectic game today...DECLARE YOUR SCORES BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!

+10
McLaren
SmithersJones
navyblueshorts
Lairdy
Sand
JAS
golfermartin
Nay
Fader
1GrumpyGolfer
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Tell us about your Summer Eclectic game today...DECLARE YOUR SCORES BEFORE ITS TOO LATE! Empty Tell us about your Summer Eclectic game today...DECLARE YOUR SCORES BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon May 14, 2012 2:49 am

I hereby declare the Summer Eclectic officially open.

Tell us your tales of joy, woe, banditry and debauchery here.

For rules, regs and entries:
https://www.606v2.com/t28821-2012-summer-eclectic-rules-regs-and-entry-list

Updated leaderboard as of September 4.

Moving into the final weeks of the eclectic comp, deadline is September 30 for those still to get rounds in

LEADERBOARD (September 4, 2012)

Score Rounds Name
-15 F Sand
-14 (7) Barragan
-12 (5) Fader
-11 F GolferMartin
-11 F SetupDeterminesTheMotion
-11 (7) Grumps
-11 (5) Raycastleunited
-10 F Davie
-10 F NavyBlueShorts
-10 (4) Hogie
-7 (4) Doc
-7 (4) OldShanker
-7 (3) JAS
-6 (4) Nay Bother

If you don't appear on the leaderboard it means one, or more, of a few things:

You haven't started yet Tumbleweed
You didn't submit your scores Doh
You haven't played enough to get into negative numbers Sorry

or
You played crap raspberry

Last edited by barragan on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Leaderboard September 4)

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your Summer Eclectic game today...DECLARE YOUR SCORES BEFORE ITS TOO LATE! Empty Re: Tell us about your Summer Eclectic game today...DECLARE YOUR SCORES BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!

Post by Fader Wed May 16, 2012 9:44 am

The sun is shining I'm finishing work at midday, so could you please put me down for round one today please.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your Summer Eclectic game today...DECLARE YOUR SCORES BEFORE ITS TOO LATE! Empty Re: Tell us about your Summer Eclectic game today...DECLARE YOUR SCORES BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed May 16, 2012 11:50 am

You got it Fader, come back and give us the lowdown on your round afterwards.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri May 18, 2012 11:00 pm

My first round will be on Sunday. Doc and Hogie are playing on Saturday.

Sand was the first to submit a score and Fader owes me his first card too.

Any other runners and riders. In the immortal words of Delia: "where are you, let's be having you"

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat May 19, 2012 8:25 am

Hey grumpy, course open, so will get this show on the road

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Sat May 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi grumps, I'll do my first round tomorrow please..

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Sun May 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Had a good round today. Chipped and putted really well. Got up and down 7 out of 9 and 22 putts. Missed a couple of makeable ones too! Mind you I sank one hell of a lot of missable ones.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Mon May 21, 2012 7:34 am

Grumps, did you get my card? Been having few issues with the email account lately. If not I can pm the details.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon May 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Fader, I haven't received an email from you. PM me the details. Grumps

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon May 21, 2012 5:33 pm

Oh dear, not so good but not so bad either. The good news is I have a number I can easily improve upon. There's always next time....

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat May 26, 2012 12:26 am

Repeated on the other site (is it just the one competition Grumps?)

Evening all, put me down for my first summer Eclectic tomorrow,
Mens Championship at my 2nd course....If I have a decent one I make the cut and I'll be having my 2nd round on the Sunday

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat May 26, 2012 4:49 am

Got it JAS. One comp over both sites.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sat May 26, 2012 9:42 am

2nd round for me today thanks

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat May 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Second round for me tomorrow please grumps

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun May 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Reasonable round for me today, improved on quite a few holes today.

If i could putt, could easily gain about 8 shots a round,

So any tips on putting more than welcome

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon May 28, 2012 4:48 am

Try aiming at the hole NB Whistle

What's the problem NB; speed, line, both or unrealistic expectations?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon May 28, 2012 8:46 am

I'm not really sure,

I rim a lot of putts from 3,4,5 feet.

The longer putts is probably I don't really aim at the hole. Because of the above i have no real belief i will hole them, which leads to three putts.

It never used to be that much of an issue because it was the difference between a 6 or 7, but now i am hitting more greens in regulation, or getting on in 3 shots at most and it is just getting frustrating

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Mon May 28, 2012 10:10 am

NB, I think it takes a bit of practise. A while ago I was injured and could not play, but could putt. I was Vice Captain so rather than stay away I used to go to the club and practice putting whilst the guys were going through the 10th. Just so they would see me. One of the routines I used to do was to pick a dead straight putt and put a peg in 3, 6 and 9 feet from the hole. The idea is to sink three putts from each position working away and then back towards the hole and not leave until you have done it. Each time you miss you start again. It is unbelievable the amount of pressure on that last 3 foot putt!! Likely you'll have been there quite a while by then.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon May 28, 2012 8:09 pm

Thanks GM

Sounds like a plan, cheers

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue May 29, 2012 1:39 am

GM has given you a good drill for your short putting including the pressure element, NB. I would mix it up a little by incorporating some break in there too. Stick 4 or 6 tees around the hole just inside putter length and aim to make all in a row, start over if you miss. If you do all those, do it again or move the tees a little bit further away.

To work on your distance control take 3 or 4 balls and putt from various distances such as 30 feet, 50 feet and then 40 feet. Get used to grouping the balls tightly and then mix it up so you learn to trust yourself over the distance you're going to putt from. Practice this from different areas so you have uphill, downhill and sidehill putts. Then reduce it to 1 ball, mixing up the distances and directions and then putt this ball out, this will give you that pressure feeling like out on the course. Putt from each direction and distance so you have at least 10 holes played out. Keep your total score and do this only once per session. Track this over your practice sessions to give yourself something to aim at and beat.

Good luck NB. Grumps

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue May 29, 2012 12:14 pm

Didnt have a great round last sat after 3 weeks without touching a club. But I did birdie our last which is a bugger because its a tough finishing hole and I forgot to take a photo of my card Doh Grumpy - do you have access to howdidido.com?

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Wed May 30, 2012 9:23 am

2nd round card just sent Grumpy....

Less said about it the better. Lost all capability of hitting the ball on the back nine it seemed.. furious

Still believe I have improved on a couple of holes so not a totally wasted day.

Although major scope for improvement the remaining 6 rounds Laugh

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed May 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi Grumpy. Can you put me down for my 1st round this Thursday?
Cheers.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Wed May 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Hey grumps can I have round 2 on Friday 1st June, gonna have an early 18 before taking my new wheels on their first day long round trip jaunt to chester and back

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Lairdy: I don't have access to howdidido. Does your course have a scorecard online? If so send me a link and your scores; job done.

Sand and Setup, got your cards, thanks

NBS & Fader, thanks for the heads up, good luck.

Apologies to those who I failed to mention, been hard at work installing a patio and deck in the back garden.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Hey grumpy

I will play round three tomorrow, With a bit of luck reach the dizzy heights of under after only round 3 this time

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Grumps

I would like to nominate Sunday for my second summer eclectic please

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Round 2 for me today, good luck to all today.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:32 am

What an absolute clown, meant to flag up round 3 yesterday and just plain forgot...What happened?? a 4 over par 76 with 4 birdies...aaarrrggghhh!!

To add insult to injury lost the match on the 19th to a 20 handicapper?, aye 20 handicapper my arse. How many times do you see a 20 handicapper hit 11/14 fairways, not 3 putt, have a 4/4 record of getting on green with awkward flop shots over bunkers. Maybe it was just me trying to rationalise the result and I know everybody can have a good day but the overall impression I had was that he was NOWHERE near 20.
Also had an incident on the 15th...he pulls his drive into the trees left "Do you want to take another" I asked. "No, it'll be OK". So we go look and don't find it. I keep looking and he goes back to the tee and hits again. He then comes back and miraculously finds his 1st one and expects to be able to hit it. Initially I thought...what's the ruling here, he didn't actually declare that his original ball was lost nor that he was hitting a provisional. My assertion was that once the 2nd ball was in play that was it. He wasn't happy but then I thought, well hang on a minute, we looked for a good 5 minutes, you then took a 180 yard walk back to the tee, hit a ball and walked 180 yards back. There's no way the ball was found inside 5 minutes anyway. Was I harsh?, I don't think I was. I guess the lesson for him was...any doubt at all...hit a provisional before leaving the tee.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:14 am

Jas I don't make that harsh at all merely playing within the rules of golf. He didn't find it in the 5minutes he's allowed so walked back to play another in my book that's as good as using the words "I'll declare it lost"

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:15 am

@.s can I take round 3 Saturday please grumps

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

I did exactly the same JAS thought about playing round 3 yesterday and shot 3 over yesterday Crying or Very sad but really im happy with it haha...

Thats not harsh at all JAS he should have hit a provisional and the first ball was declared lost when he went back to hit another one after looking for 5 minutes.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:04 pm

JAS

A provisional can only be played before you go forward to look for the first ball, you cannot walk back and play a provisional (whether you try to call it provisional or not, it isn't a provisional ball). As soon as he hit the second ball off the tee that became the ball in play and the first was deemed lost. Them's the Rules of Golf..

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:08 pm

I wish people would get this idea out of their heads that a ball can be declared lost. The only declaration you can make in regard to a ball is whether it's playable or not.

If you play another ball without calling it a provisional, that is the ball in play. The status of the first one, even if it's in the middle of the fairway, is altered purely by the action of playing the second. This idea that you can hunt around, see your ball in an invideous position and decide to 'declare it lost' in favour of your provisional is nonsense. If you identify a ball as yours and don't play it or declare it unplayable but instead continue with the provisional, then it's a two stroke penalty immediately, and disqualification if you tee off on the next without correcting the error. In matchplay it's loss of hole, of course.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Very true smithers, although there is nothing to stop you not bothering to look for a ball. But I guess your partners can still look for it if they want.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:46 pm

McLaren wrote:Very true smithers, although there is nothing to stop you not bothering to look for a ball. But I guess your partners can still look for it if they want.

Absolutely Mac, you won't find it if you don't look for it. However, it's still not lost just because you say it is, it's lost because you played the other ball.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:23 pm

I must admit I was 95% sure I was right (that once he hit the 2nd ball that was the ball in play), just not 100%. But the 5 minute rule more than justified me telling him he couldn't go back to his original. If I'm perfectly honest what drove me to stand my ground was that we had both looked extensively where he suddenly "found" it....I was then 40 or 50 yards away toward my ball and his 2nd ball. The other thing that wrankled a bit was that I had scoured the medal results for the past couple of months to see if he was carrying any form...His name wasn't on any sheet. Annoying but what can you do, the only thing 20 handicapper about him was his understanding (lack of) of the rules. But at the end of the day I had the chances to bury him and didn't take them.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Wow, just Wow!

Think that's the most wind I've ever played in and the hardest our course has played since I've been playing.

Eclectic wise think I've only improved on one hole, our 2nd hole. Which is usually a Wood and Gap wedge. Today I hit Driver & 5iron, now that's a huge diffence.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:21 pm

Wind makes golf so much fun. My away course has a 135yard par 3 that i've hit everything from a lob wedge to a 3 wood on!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:35 pm

Ban, our 17th is 220yards from the back recently with the win its been a 3 wood, even a driver on one occasion, however today from the back tees as it was a comp I hit an 8iron to the back edge.

Winning score today was nett 74 on count back, that's 3 over par! I came in with a host of others at nett 75 and I played well. Even putts had to be read factoring in the wind into how much break to play never had to do that before. Have to say I did enjoy the challenge may have to look at some lynx golf now

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:49 pm

Sounds tough. Worst conditions i've played in was first day of the last ryder cup, at the dukes course in st Andrews. The best score on the day was also +3...but that was 2-man better ball!!!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi Grumpy. Can you put me down for rounds 2 and 3 this Sunday please? Thanks.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:26 pm

NBS - marked off.

Fader - not sure I received your scores from this weekend.

Thanks Grumps

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:55 pm

Grumps

I'd like to nominate this Sunday for round 3 please. Weather's not looking great, but I'd hate it if I improved and hadn't nominated it

Cheers

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:41 am

Hi Grumps. Can you put me down for round 1 on Saturday please. Scorecard the same except sss = 72 from the back tee. Ta - b_b

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:00 pm

R1 completed. Off to a great start - lipped out with a wee pitch from 40 yards on the 1st for eagle leaving a tap in birdie. Followed that up with up and downs on 2 & 3 for par. Pared 4 too then hit a beautiful of a 5iron on the 5th to Inside 4ft...proceded to three put furious
steady pars to the turn then hit a great 6iron to 10ft on the 10th which i slotted home to go back to -1. Sloppy driving over the following holes meant bogeys on each of 11-15. Very disappointing, especially as i hit some nice chips but was unable to hole out the putts. Steadied the ship with a pair of pars 16-17, then three putted the last to finish +5.

Much happier with my game today especially given the strong winds, though a little disappointed not to have been at least 2-3 strokes better. Hopefully something to build on for the 2nd half of the season.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:53 pm

Good round BB, i think I'll need you to remind me of your handicap.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:05 pm

Thanks Grumps
Just gone up to 7 censored hopefully not for long...
Scores and hole pars should you require:
434553454 255545455
534543454 344434454

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:37 pm

7! Are you having me on? Consider yourself cut.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Not that it makes a difference 3/4 off 6 is also 5. Unless you're gonna give me a two shotter Erm

Last edited by ban_bam on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next