The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test

+43
JmD
disneychilly
debaters1
profitius
welliamwibb
KiaRose
wolfball
Artful_Dodger
Pot Hale
Gretgael1
wales606
LeinsterFan4life
Sin é
GunsGerms
Mickado
clivemcl
Golden
chewed_mintie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
blackcanelion
Taylorman
aucklandlaurie
Cotupina187
valjester
Rava
The Great Aukster
geoff999rugby
Feckless Rogue
pete (buachaill on eirne)
sean.c
eirebilly
asoreleftshoulder
Rory_Gallagher
dublin_dave
ME-109
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Notch
Standulstermen
red_stag
geoff998rugby
rodders
Thomond
BoyneRFC
47 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test - Page 4 Empty Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test

Post by BoyneRFC Wed 30 May 2012, 1:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

There is always a lot of discussion from Irish posters, which is good, but sometimes things tend to go off in a tangent censored so, tout simplement, I wanted to ask you your opinion of who should start the first test v New Zealand. Note, this is YOUR team and not what you think Kidney will pick.

Full squad:
Ireland Squad (New Zealand tour 2012 with Test matches on 9, 16 and 23 June)

Forwards (17):
Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon /Ulster)*
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
Chris Henry (Ballymena/Ulster)
Ronan Loughney (Galwegians/Connacht)*
Kevin McLaughlin (St.Mary's College/Leinster)
Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
Mike Sherry (Garryowen/Munster)*
Dan Tuohy (Ballymena /Ulster)
Brett Wilkinson (Galwegians/Connacht)*

Backs (13):
Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
Paul Marshall (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)*
Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
Brian O’Driscoll (UCD/Leinster)
Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
*Denotes Uncapped Player

NB Paul O'Connell is not included in the listed squad until a decision is made regarding his fitness on Friday.

My pick:

1. Healy
2. Best.
3. Ross.
4. POC
5. Ryan
6. O'Brien
7. O’Mahony
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Sexton
11. Earls
12. D'Arcy
13. O’Driscoll
14. Trimble
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. Fitzpatrick
18. Tuohy
19. McLaughlin
20. Murray
21 AN Other
21. Zebo

Last edited by BoyneRFC on Wed 30 May 2012, 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test - Page 4 Empty Re: Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test

Post by Standulstermen Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:46 am

Kidney is obviously staking everything on catching the all blacks napping and sneaking the first test.

Why play POM at 7 and SOB at 6 though? Is that not selecting 2 players out of position.

Doc and D'arcy Doh

I thought one of our targets was a RWC semi final

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test - Page 4 Empty Re: Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test

Post by rodders Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:50 am

Well Val, I'm an unapologetic Kidney critic, I don't think he is up to the job....

but I'm not going to wish us to lose (not saying anyone is) so that he gets the heave ho.... I'll worry about what happens to Kidders when his contact is up for renewel...

..right now all I'm concerned about is beating the ABs...I've been waiting my whole life to see it happen and despite having Kidney at the helm this is a great opportunity to win...if there is such a thing against these guys.... guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:04 am

Everybody talks about change but its still not clear to me what that is? He is playing the best players in their positions (even Darcy) in 90 - 95% of cases.
That was what people wanted changed from EOS time.

In terms of tactics I think people are naive to think that the Leinster, Munster or Ulster way can immediately translate to the international scene. it doesnt work like that as the opposing teams are by their nature a lot better organised and have better tactics than the HC or Pro12 teams.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:07 am

Post removed Smile
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:25 am

DOD wrote:Everybody talks about change but its still not clear to me what that is? He is playing the best players in their positions (even Darcy) in 90 - 95% of cases.

In terms of tactics I think people are naive to think that the Leinster, Munster or Ulster way can immediately translate to the international scene. it doesnt work like that as the opposing teams are by their nature a lot better organised and have better tactics than the HC or Pro12 teams.

He's had 2 years since the rule changes to change tactics,yet we're still playing the same negative kick and hope rubbish.Kidney has had plenty of time and still hasn't done anything,I hope he can turn it around I really do but there's absolutely no reason to think things will improve going on his previous record.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:29 am

DOD wrote:Everybody talks about change but its still not clear to me what that is? He is playing the best players in their positions (even Darcy) in 90 - 95% of cases.

Best players in 90-95%...hmm maybe... but is he playing the best units?...no because Reddan and Sexton are a tried and tested combination and have been fundimental to Leinsters attacking play.

Another big problem is the use of the bench, the complete tactical inneptness to see problems on the pitch and fix them when there is still a chance to win the game...thats the mark of a good coach, something Kidney isn't.

The combination of good passing, quick ball and spatial awareness is just as effective at International level as at HEC level, or indeed any level.

Rugby is a very simple game, it's about getting over the gainline, generating quick ball and creating overlaps... the ball always beats the man and slow ball is a a killer if you want to play attacking rugby.

It's not rocket science, Leinster generate ruck quick ball, support the ball carrier in numbers, run good angles, play simple short passes into space and Ireland don't......

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:33 am

Just for comparison, I'm expecting the following AB's team to line up
1. Tony Woodcock
2. Andrew Hore
3. Owen Franks
4. Ali Williams
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Adam Thompson/Victor Vito
7. Richie McCaw
8. Kieran Read

9. Piri Weepu
10. Dan Carter
11. Julian Savea
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Conrad Smith
14. Israel Dagg
15. Ben Smith

Bench: Keven Mealamu (if fit)/Hika Elliot, Ben Franks, Brodie Retallick, Adam Thompson/Victor Vito, Aaron Smith, Aaron Cruden, Ma'a Nonu/Tamati Ellison.

(sourced from http://www.v2journal.com/new-zealands-summer-tour.html and
http://www.v2journal.com/irelands-summer-tour.html )
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:37 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:Just for comparison, I'm expecting the following AB's team to line up
1. Tony Woodcock
2. Andrew Hore
3. Owen Franks
4. Ali Williams
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Adam Thompson/Victor Vito
7. Richie McCaw
8. Kieran Read

9. Piri Weepu
10. Dan Carter
11. Julian Savea
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Conrad Smith
14. Israel Dagg
15. Ben Smith

Bench: Keven Mealamu (if fit)/Hika Elliot, Ben Franks, Brodie Retallick, Adam Thompson/Victor Vito, Aaron Smith, Aaron Cruden, Ma'a Nonu/Tamati Ellison.

(sourced from http://www.v2journal.com/new-zealands-summer-tour.html and
http://www.v2journal.com/irelands-summer-tour.html )

Oops, hit "send" too soon - got asked a work question!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0606/1224317367150.html

IRELAND (possible): R Kearney; A Trimble, B O’Driscoll (capt), G D’Arcy, K Earls; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Best, M Ross or D Fitzpatrick, D O’Callaghan, D Ryan, S O’Brien, P O’Mahony, J Heaslip.

Replacements: S Cronin, D Fitzpatrick or R Loughney, D Tuohy, C Henry, E Reddan, R O’Gara, F McFadden

Some interesting man for man match-ups there. But if Ross isn't fit the scrums could be a massacre.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:37 am

Very strong 3/4 line Kiwi...but will the ABs tight 5 be as strong without Thorn?? I think we can attack that tight 5 but can we contain that backline......

Whats your thoughts on the form of the AB players?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:38 am

rodders wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote: There were some reports here in Auckland that Ross couldnt walk up some stairs in the hotel, I just presumed they were foxing.

That is shocking news laurie..... you mean there were no lifts in the team hotel? .... unbelievable Shocked ..... Whistle

What are lifts?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:40 am

KRD – Retallick and Aaron Smith played a major part in the first few sessions apparently. They are odds on to start. Vito looks to have the inside running for the 6 shirt also

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:40 am

But hes losing waaayyy too many games. if we were playing this dross that we are now and winning i don't think too many people would complain. The way we play now offers very little winning results and prevents this team from reaching its potential.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:45 am

Kiwireddevil wrote: Some interesting man for man match-ups there. But if Ross isn't fit the scrums could be a massacre.

There is very little difference between Ross and Fitzpatrick when it comes to scummaging technique so I dont think that is true. I should add regardless of who is TH I think the Irish scrum will be under a lot of pressure

However Fitzpatrick is slow around the park and will not last 80 mins. When he goes off I except scums like England in the 6N.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:49 am

rodders wrote:Very strong 3/4 line Kiwi...but will the ABs tight 5 be as strong without Thorn?? I think we can attack that tight 5 but can we contain that backline......

Whats your thoughts on the form of the AB players?

I'm very nervous about Weepu - his form has been awful for the Blues (who have been generally rubbish). And Andy Ellis has been discarded at age 28, in the form of his life. Smith has an electric passing game, though his small size means I'm glad Ferris isn't there. (must amend my article on the Journal). I expect McCaw to be very busy defending against O'Brien if Weepu is subbed.

The AB's lineout should hold up well, especially with no POC. And McCaw, Thompson and Read are all in very good form - no Ferris means that the NZ back row could have a field day. Carter spent the last 2 rounds of Super rugby gliding through gaps like it was 2005, while Cruden has been sparking the Chiefs backline well, and kicking very well - IMO Sexton's a better defender than Cruden, but otherwise Cruden's got him matched. And Carter's 10% better all round.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:54 am

So Sonny Bill William and Conrad smith running lines down Darcys channel picard

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:57 am

Thanks for your thoughts Kiwi, I haven't seen much of the NZ players since the RWC but I'm quietly confident that we can spring a big upset here...if we play smart and come flying out of the blocks.

I don't and can't believe that we are as poor as the last 12 months have suggested and I think a lot of people are writing us off a bit prematurely here. There are some question marks over NZ too with a new coach and minus Thorn and Kaino.....

We shall see though..... guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:00 pm

If they go for Vito I don't think we will be able to take them up front, I think if they wanted to they could strangle a game the way we are capable of too.

In a way if SBWilliams was playing, having Darcy and DOC in there would nearly be an ok thing! Hopefully they can stop him from getting his hands free as they are both guys who tackle pretty high. I'd still go Tuohy and AN OTHER centre but there is a positive to having them there.

The inclusion of Murray would be idiotic IMO as our backs will never be able to overpower theirs and if we play off slow ball that is what we will be made do. How much tackling is Murray going to be doing that we will need his extra physicality? Funny as it sounds but I don't want our scrumhalf picking and going like a prop minus 6 stone. We will need quick ball if we want to seriously threaten the Blacks defence and for that we will need Reddan. I think choosing Murray for this game is pretty criminal when we have seen that the ball he gets is markedly slower than Reddan's and Reddan has a great relationship with Sexton.

I can see them beating us in the backs on a few occassions through one on one mismatches and clever invention.

If Thornley's team is the one that Kidney goes for I will be very disappointed and even more critical of Kidney if we retain the kick the ball away philosophy which that team is geared towards.

Maybe we are going to try and play like we did against Australia with massive aggression and physicality, which could catch them cold if truth be told.
However, missing POC and Ferris will greatly reduce the amount of physicality we can exert.

Match ups that I like/scare me

Healy vs Franks
Young props, I would expect Healy to be able to hold his own (without attacking much) but if new cap Fitzpatrick gets into issues it could really affect Healy too. Both are great around the park.

McCaw vs SOB
They have different games (though not as different as people may think) I imagine McCaw will get on top due to the quality of ball being given to both scrumhalves and I imagine McCaw will make more of an impact in affecting that quality of ball.

Carter vs Sexton
I see Carter feeding the likes of SBW, Smith and Dagg in delicous wide angles or inside balls, using screens and screen options ad nauseum while varying his passing to kicking game. I can see Sexton being shorn of options with slow ball, small centres and a back 3 that aren't going to be able to get outside their men. If the wingers drop back and deny Sexton a kicking target then he could find himself in a cul de sac due to slow ball mainly.

Smith vs BOS
Both are masters of their trade, Smith has claimed bragging rights in recent years but I expect this contest to be quite even unless BOD feels he has to watch Darcy in relation to SBW.

Dagg vs Kearney
If Dagg is at 15 this could be a very tasty one I have to say. I think a lot will depend on what is happening infront of each player, I desperatly hope Dagg finds himself the 1 in many 2 on 1's rather than Kearney

Dagg vs Kearney

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:01 pm

Rodders
No one down here is taking Ireland lightly, I was at Eden park only six months ago and watched your team, only difference then was that they werent playing the ABs.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:10 pm

If Ireland get spanked in the first test what do people think of the chances of Kidney changing tactics and line up?

For the record i think were going to win by a couple of points. Delusional i know but cant help it

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:31 pm

I think the 90%-95% is a bit high.

arguably trimble and earls are not the best wingers in the country this season. Darcy not the best 12. Murray not the best 9. DOC not the best second row.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:37 pm

I make it 73.33% of the players avaialble.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:44 pm

Ok here's what i don't understand. If attack cannot be as fluid because the players don't spend as much time together at international level as they do at provincial level then how is the defense so organised? And if NZ can have a provincial style which carries through to international level then why can't Ireland?

We play sintilating stuff at provincial level and immediatley revery to puke rugby when we play tests.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:57 pm

If Murray starts for Ireland kidney needs his head checked. Reddan is easily Ireland's best scrum half at the moment.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:02 pm

Mickado wrote:

Ok here's what i don't understand. If attack cannot be as fluid because the players don't spend as much time together at international level as they do at provincial level then how is the defense so organised? And if NZ can have a provincial style which carries through to international level then why can't Ireland?

We play sintilating stuff at provincial level and immediatley revery to puke rugby when we play tests.

I'm with Mick on this DOD, it doesn't makes sense to me. We should be able to hold our shape for more than 4 or 5 phases in attack, we shouldn't have guys in at first reciever if they aren't
a) comfortable passing the ball out or
b) aren't effective carriers

Ireland do that far too much and it's all down to shape. Too many times guys like DOC, Ross, POC or Court (less so) end up at first reciever. None of these guys should be anywhere near first reciever IMO unless the ball has squirted out.

The other thing that gets up my nose so much is forward runners, so many teams use this varient idea and tooting our own flute, none better than Leinster yet none worse than Ireland.

What I am describing is a forward running off 9 at pace and an angle from out to in or vice vearse. Leaving the 9 and the forward with many options.

a) pass the ball to the forward and let him take it up (must run fast, hard and at an angle)
b) pass the ball to the forward and the 9 runs a loop
c) pass the ball to the forward and the forward plays a screen (behind another forward) to the 10
d) pass the ball behind the forward to the 10

We do this far too seldom IMO and it is such a simple thing to fix the drifting defence. It would take 30 minutes to run through plays like that and Reddan knows who should get the ball yet it would make such a huge difference to our standard of play

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:10 pm

clivemcl wrote:

I think the 90%-95% is a bit high.

arguably trimble and earls are not the best wingers in the country this season. Darcy not the best 12. Murray not the best 9. DOC not the best second row.

+1

You can understand why Darcy is in there though as there isn't another centre in the squad who is screaming pick me.

Cave had a great season but poor against the BaaBaa's from what we saw.
Earls has been playing ok and at times well but not a natural (IMO anyway)
McFadden hasn't had anywhere near enough time at 12

Wallace is the best 12 in Ireland at the moment

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:15 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:

You can understand why Darcy is in there though as there isn't another centre in the squad who is screaming pick me.

Cave had a great season but poor against the BaaBaa's from what we saw.
Earls has been playing ok and at times well but not a natural (IMO anyway)
McFadden hasn't had anywhere near enough time at 12

Wallace is the best 12 in Ireland at the moment

Yea I agree Cave didnt do great v baabaas, but he was probably exhausted and in the back of his mind was probably aware that he wasn't playing a serious/important match. I still think that BOD-Cave is better than Darcy-BOD. Especially since theres no other 12 on the horizon, and theres an abundance of 13s who need to be prepped since BOD won't last forever.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:27 pm

Fingers crossed Murray gets his act together. He's had a poor season.
Why is DOC starting for Ireland when he's not even first choice for Munster?
I would have preferred 12. BOD, 13. Earls. But the D'arcy selection is understandable as others have said.
And I like seeing O'Brien at 6. Hopefully we'll see him carrying more.
It'll be interesting to see how POM goes at 7. He's always stood out when he plays, no matter how the team his team is playing. But will the master openside take him to school?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:32 pm

clivemcl wrote:
Yea I agree Cave didnt do great v baabaas, but he was probably exhausted and in the back of his mind was probably aware that he wasn't playing a serious/important match.

Sorry Clive but I have to butt in here. Cave was playing the same game as everyone else and it doesn't do him any justice or favours to make excuses. I seriously doubt that he didn't think that he was playing a serious game.... with a tour spot on the line that was one of the biggest games of his career so far.

Apparantely he didn't go great but thats just based on some very short hilights. He obviously did well enough to tour but not to leapfrog the guys in front of him for a starting spot.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:36 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:

You can stick any number you want on O'Briens back but if he's taking static ball against set defences then we won't see much effective carrying from him or anyone else.

Ferris is probably the only forward we have who can get across the gainline from a standing start so there is even bigger pressure on Murray to deliver quick ball to get SOB running into gaps rather than bodies. Reddan is brilliant at this but we won't see him until the 62nd minute if we are losing or the 68th if we are winning.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:52 pm

O'Mahony is very good at taking static ball and still making ground. He is probably used to it at Munster with O'Leary/Murray.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:53 pm

Seems Zebo has got the attention of the Kiwi press:

Fair enough -- so far, so expected -- so it was refreshing to hear was the Kiwi media quiz Ireland assistant coach Les Kiss at yesterday's press conference about one of the younger members of the Ireland squad, who they felt "really stood out" at yesterday's training session.

The source of their interest? Flying winger Simon Zebo, whose rapid rise to prominence this season is in keeping with the pace that garnered the attention of the notoriously hard-to-impress locals.

A special section of TV1's night-time sports news was devoted to the "dashing back", with pointed reference given to the influence of former All Blacks winger Doug Howlett has had on Zebo at Munster.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/dashing-back-zebo-catches-kiwi-attention-3127222.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:55 pm

Sin é wrote:Seems Zebo has got the attention of the Kiwi press:

Fair enough -- so far, so expected -- so it was refreshing to hear was the Kiwi media quiz Ireland assistant coach Les Kiss at yesterday's press conference about one of the younger members of the Ireland squad, who they felt "really stood out" at yesterday's training session.

The source of their interest? Flying winger Simon Zebo, whose rapid rise to prominence this season is in keeping with the pace that garnered the attention of the notoriously hard-to-impress locals.

A special section of TV1's night-time sports news was devoted to the "dashing back", with pointed reference given to the influence of former All Blacks winger Doug Howlett has had on Zebo at Munster.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/dashing-back-zebo-catches-kiwi-attention-3127222.html

If he stood out so much then why hasn't he even made the bench for the 1st test *?? Headscratch

* According to Thornley.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:57 pm

Standing out in training is one thing - delivering when it matters is another. Gilroy should be on that starting team. Or at least Zebo should.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:03 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Fingers crossed Murray gets his act together. He's had a poor season.
Why is DOC starting for Ireland when he's not even first choice for Munster?
I would have preferred 12. BOD, 13. Earls. But the D'arcy selection is understandable as others have said.
It'll be interesting to see how POM goes at 7. He's always stood out when he plays, no matter how the team his team is playing. But will the master openside take him to school?

Poor season? He was doing fine until he got injured in the 6Ns against France.

btw, MOTM against Scarlets in Heineken Cup.

Paris! - Ireland scored no points after he went off along with DOC (58 mins) and Reddan came on.

Remind me again how Ireland faired against England when the pack was going backwards and Reddan was at SH?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:05 pm

Sin, seriously, don't ruin this thread. I am sick of you turning this into a Munster vs everyone else argument.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:12 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Sin, seriously, don't ruin this thread. I am sick of you turning this into a Munster vs everyone else argument.

Am I not allowed disagree about the kind of season that Murray had. He was injured/coming back from an injury at the end of the season. That should not define his season (no more than Reddan's performance against England in the 6Ns).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:14 pm

You can defend Murray of course, but you know what you were doing (throwing DOC in there for example, and blaming the lack of scoring on Reddan). However, I think even you can admit Murray has been crap lately. He does not deserve to start this game.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:18 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Standing out in training is one thing - delivering when it matters is another. Gilroy should be on that starting team. Or at least Zebo should.

A coach can only work from what he sees in training in a first test (how players compliment/work together).

For all you know maybe Ulster didn't want to release him as they didn't want to miss two wingers for preseason with a new coach coming in.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:21 pm

He can also work from what he has seen the entire season in the provincial games. However, I am not sure Kidney actually does watch them when he picks 4th choice tightheads and 3rd choice second rows to start for Ireland.. and if Zebo did stand out in training, then why is he nowhere to be found in that team?

Sin - that is complete rubbish mate, don't be silly. Laugh

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:24 pm

Murray hasn't been the same player since the Wales game in the RWC. His service has been laboured and his descision making has been poor.

Kidney loves him though so he'll always start. Like O'Leary before him he suits Kidney's boot the ball away and hope the opposition don't score too many points whilst we try and get it back philsophy.

So Sin why is Zebo not in the side? Has Kidney made the right call?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:26 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:You can defend Murray of course, but you know what you were doing (throwing DOC in there for example, and blaming the lack of scoring on Reddan). However, I think even you can admit Murray has been crap lately. He does not deserve to start this game.

I'm not blaming Reddan - but the increased speedy service didn't enable Ireland to score any tries which is the reason why everyone wants Reddan to start in the first place (and for the record, he was on about 15 mins longer than ROG).

One or two games coming back from an injury doesn't make a bad season (the QF was his first game back after his injury in the 6ns).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:27 pm

Kidney's Logic -

"We have been very impressed with Simon Zebo in training. He has been the standout player for us so far, and it seems the New Zealand media rate him highly also. So I have decided to leave him out of the starting 22 completely. Smile "

picard

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:31 pm

rodders wrote:Murray hasn't been the same player since the Wales game in the RWC. His service has been laboured and his descision making has been poor.

MOTM against the Scarlets in the HCup Wink

Kidney loves him though so he'll always start. Like O'Leary before him he suits Kidney's boot the ball away and hope the opposition don't score too many points whilst we try and get it back philsophy.

So Sin why is Zebo not in the side? Has Kidney made the right call?

Kidney likes his physicality (in the same way as Schmidt likes Boss because of Reddan's lack of physicality) and the way Ruddock picked Marmion over McGrath* in the u-20s.

edit: got my lukes mixed up.

As for Zebo - instead of Earls - don't think so. 2nd test I'd move Earls into 13 and try him on that wing.

Last edited by Sin é on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:33 pm

Sin é wrote:For all you know maybe Ulster didn't want to release him as they didn't want to miss two wingers for preseason with a new coach coming in.

Provinces don't get a say when it comes to the test squad- this isn't the U20s.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:33 pm

I am not a fan of this physical 9 thing one bit. McGrath better not be wasted due to not being as big as other options.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:35 pm

Sin do u think kidney is a good coach or something?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:38 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Sin do u think kidney is a good coach or something?

Of course I am!

Spoiler:

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:38 pm

Notch wrote:
Sin é wrote:For all you know maybe Ulster didn't want to release him as they didn't want to miss two wingers for preseason with a new coach coming in.

Provinces don't get a say when it comes to the test squad- this isn't the U20s.

Kidney was asked at a press conference about why they were not bringing more players and he said something to the effect that it would disrupt the provinces too much.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:41 pm

If a coach values physicality over quick service in a scrum half then he shouldn't be in the job.

Isaac Boss and Mike Phillips have improved their service markedly and Philips fits a specific gameplan that suits Wales... a game plan we can't play because of the lack of size or our 3/4's.

If Kidney thinks we can budgeon teams into submission with slow ball then he's in cloud cuckoo land.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:42 pm

Sin, that is different from what you said though. You said that Ulster might not have let Gilroy go to NZ. That is rubbish.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next