The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test

+43
JmD
disneychilly
debaters1
profitius
welliamwibb
KiaRose
wolfball
Artful_Dodger
Pot Hale
Gretgael1
wales606
LeinsterFan4life
Sin é
GunsGerms
Mickado
clivemcl
Golden
chewed_mintie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
blackcanelion
Taylorman
aucklandlaurie
Cotupina187
valjester
Rava
The Great Aukster
geoff999rugby
Feckless Rogue
pete (buachaill on eirne)
sean.c
eirebilly
asoreleftshoulder
Rory_Gallagher
dublin_dave
ME-109
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Notch
Standulstermen
red_stag
geoff998rugby
rodders
Thomond
BoyneRFC
47 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test - Page 6 Empty Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test

Post by BoyneRFC Wed 30 May 2012, 1:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

There is always a lot of discussion from Irish posters, which is good, but sometimes things tend to go off in a tangent censored so, tout simplement, I wanted to ask you your opinion of who should start the first test v New Zealand. Note, this is YOUR team and not what you think Kidney will pick.

Full squad:
Ireland Squad (New Zealand tour 2012 with Test matches on 9, 16 and 23 June)

Forwards (17):
Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon /Ulster)*
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
Chris Henry (Ballymena/Ulster)
Ronan Loughney (Galwegians/Connacht)*
Kevin McLaughlin (St.Mary's College/Leinster)
Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
Mike Sherry (Garryowen/Munster)*
Dan Tuohy (Ballymena /Ulster)
Brett Wilkinson (Galwegians/Connacht)*

Backs (13):
Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
Paul Marshall (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)*
Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
Brian O’Driscoll (UCD/Leinster)
Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)*
*Denotes Uncapped Player

NB Paul O'Connell is not included in the listed squad until a decision is made regarding his fitness on Friday.

My pick:

1. Healy
2. Best.
3. Ross.
4. POC
5. Ryan
6. O'Brien
7. O’Mahony
8. Heaslip
9. Reddan
10. Sexton
11. Earls
12. D'Arcy
13. O’Driscoll
14. Trimble
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. Fitzpatrick
18. Tuohy
19. McLaughlin
20. Murray
21 AN Other
21. Zebo

Last edited by BoyneRFC on Wed 30 May 2012, 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test - Page 6 Empty Re: Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test

Post by wales606 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:10 pm

It will be interesting to see what Aaron Smith can do. NZ haven't had a stand out Scrum half for quite a long time.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test - Page 6 Empty Re: Your Ireland team to play the All Blacks in the 1st test

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:13 pm

When was the last time an AB wing scored a hat trick on debut?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:14 pm

When is the Irish team announcement due?

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:41 pm

Here it is:

15 Kearney, 14 McFadden, 13 O'Driscoll ( c ), 12 Earls, 11 Zebo, 10 Sexton, 9 Murray; 1 Healy, 2 Best, 3 Fitzpatrick/Ross, 4 Ryan, 5 Tuohy, 6 O'Brien, 7 O'Mahony, 8 Heaslip.

Allegedly.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:43 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Here it is:

15 Kearney, 14 McFadden, 13 O'Driscoll ( c ), 12 Earls, 11 Zebo, 10 Sexton, 9 Murray; 1 Healy, 2 Best, 3 Fitzpatrick/Ross, 4 Ryan, 5 Tuohy, 6 O'Brien, 7 O'Mahony, 8 Heaslip.

Allegedly.
not official

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:44 pm

I'd be reasonably happy with that team but think Gilroy should of travelled and perhaps would start Reddan over Murray.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:52 pm

Why on earth would Earls be at 12? Is the 13 shirt that important to O'Driscoll? Can nobody else have it?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:07 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Why on earth would Earls be at 12? Is the 13 shirt that important to O'Driscoll? Can nobody else have it?

I wouldn't worry too much about that if this is the side. I remember, way back mind you, that D'Arcy was 12 and O'Driscoll at 13 but D'Arcy actually played outside centre. Someone can fill us in on the exact dates here- I think it was 2004 perhaps. That's when Darcy was markedly slimmer, was quick off the mark and has good pace. Now......

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:18 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Why on earth would Earls be at 12? Is the 13 shirt that important to O'Driscoll? Can nobody else have it?

I wouldn't worry too much about that if this is the side. I remember, way back mind you, that D'Arcy was 12 and O'Driscoll at 13 but D'Arcy actually played outside centre. Someone can fill us in on the exact dates here- I think it was 2004 perhaps. That's when Darcy was markedly slimmer, was quick off the mark and has good pace. Now......

You're right hookisms. As far as I can remember D'arcy played most of that triple crown year at outside centre but BOD wore 13. D'arcy was electric that year as well.

I like Zebo starting but I'd prefer Trimble on the other wing. I know Trimble isn't in great form but I think he can holds his own without being spectacular, whereas I'm not too sure about McFaddens defensive capabilities on the wing.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:18 pm

Rory, can't you spot a WUM yet? Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:19 pm

Gretgael1 wrote:When is the Irish team announcement due?

2am tonight. Thats the vagaries of time differences for you!

We should start a late night indignation thread for all the regular Irish posters laughing
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:39 pm

Notch wrote:

We should start a late night indignation thread for all the regular Irish posters laughing

I was thinking of staying awake till the team announcement, but if I do I know I'll be going to sleep upset furious
Maybe I'll dream Kidneys picks Tuohy, Zebo and Earls in the centre with BOD and when I wake up it might come true Fingers Crossed

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:31 pm

All to do with marketing and money. Bod's company's and advertising all revolve around the number 13. If Earls wears 12, he will still play 13.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:23 am

Declan Kidney's team to meet the All Blacks (From @michaelc_rte )

15. RKearney
14. F. McFadden
13. BOD
12. K Earls
11. Simon Zebo
10. J Sexton
9. C Murray
1. C Healy
2. R best,
3. D Fitz,
4. D Touhy,
5. D Ryan,
6. P. O'Mahony
7. Jamie Heaslip
8. S. O'Brien,

Subs: S Cronin, R Loughney, D O'Callaghan, K McLaughlin, E Reddan, R O'Gara, D. Cave
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:42 am

Fair play Deccie. Yahoo

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:44 am

That's what I'm talking about.. Bloody hell excited.. Flying into vancouver 30mins before kick off saturday so will be looking for links once I get internet connection! Come on Ireland!

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:04 am

Gretgael1 wrote:
Notch wrote:

I was thinking of staying awake till the team announcement, but if I do I know I'll be going to sleep upset furious
Maybe I'll dream Kidneys picks Tuohy, Zebo and Earls in the centre with BOD and when I wake up it might come true Fingers Crossed

Sweet dreams Gretgael!!!

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:46 am

Gretgael1 wrote:

thumbsup How WAS your dream, Gret?
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:47 am

Shocked
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:49 am

Gerry Thornely weeps softly in the corner after the realisation that he is no longer the golden journo of Irish rugby. End of an era Thoriniho!

COME ON IRELAND!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 07 Jun 2012, 8:53 am

I'm stunned, I thought Deccie might throw a curve ball..but he's ripped up the script!

Really excited about those centre and 2nd row combinations. They will take time to gel though so expectations need to be realistic.

McFadden and Murray would be my biggest worries but at least we are trying things now rather than just sticking with the same old players.

Can't wait for this one! Leprechaun guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:08 am

Very positive Kidney clap really impressed.

Not wild on Earls at centre but glad he has made the big call and obviously will be hoping Earls plays well. Fingers crossed that the lads front up and play like they did against England at the Aviva.

Could this be the end of DOC and Darcy?
I hope so. Interesting to note that Kidney has gone for a centre on the bench and that centre is not Darcy.

Would have preffered Reddan but hopefully Kidney will really have committed to quick, ball in hand rugby and we will see Murray's pre World Cup form shine through again as he without doubt has the talent.

COME ON IRELAND!

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:10 am

REALLY glad that SOB has stayed at 7 also, absolutely delighted by that! What are the chances of having Ross?

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:14 am

Darcy will surely be gone. Kidney has picked McFadden, Cave, Earls and O'Driscoll in the match day squad.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:14 am

No chance Pete, that star beside Fitzpatrick and Loughneys name is to denote that they're uncapped, not that there will be a late fitness test. Ross is ooot unfortunately.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:17 am

But apparently will be back for second test
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:22 am

Theres a thread guys...

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:23 am

Isn't this it? Can we combine the two?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:23 am

We have this one already though Clive
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by welliamwibb Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:24 am

New Zealand by 30.

welliamwibb

http://www.rfu.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:59 am

Rava wrote:
Gretgael1 wrote:

thumbsup How WAS your dream, Gret?

Rava, I feel like giving a Martin Luther King speech! Very Happy

Kia, maybe I'll try dreaming a 3-0 whitewash of the AB's and see how that works thumbsup

Fair play to Deccie, he gets enough criticism on these boards for being conservative and predictable, we'll give him this one clap

Of course, we're not without worry. One would have to worry about McFadden on the wing, Fitzpatrick at this level and Murrays time spent looking at the ball at the base of the ruck instead of moving it, but it's a step in the right direction, at least we're asking questions of the fringe players and giving them their chance. I'm looking forward to see bod and Earls start a game together and also Ryan and Tuohy. Can't wait for this one!!!

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:13 am

red_stag wrote:We have this one already though Clive

Which is fine if you want to continue talking about 'Your team for all Blacks match'
But since its been named, I imagine that would be a pointless exercise.

You could however go over and discuss the name announcement on the team announcement thread

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:15 am

You can't really bash Kidney with that side to be honest. I am really concerned about Zebo and that his defence, which from what I have seen (caveat here, only about a dozen games) isn't the best. Trimble might not be in the best form about at least he has a solid defence. In saying that Gilroy should be there win front of them both, but I don't want to nitpick that selection too much. I hope Zebo plays well as he is a really exciting talent. McFadden is a strange call to me. He can't get in the Leinster side in his own position, yet is selected at Ireland on the wing? I'm afraid I don't get it. To me our wings are a major weak point defensively, and McFadden offers little going forward.

Here's the question lads- how with Earls and BOD line up? Will Bod really be playing at 12 with a 13 on his back? It seems a very strange selection to pick Earls at 12. Has he played there this season for Munster? It's an interesting selection and if they line up as they are on paper it certainly means we are offering something different at international level to basically every other nation bar Australia with a bash merchant at 12. I am intrigued.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:21 am

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:
Here's the question lads- how with Earls and BOD line up? Will Bod really be playing at 12 with a 13 on his back? It seems a very strange selection to pick Earls at 12. Has he played there this season for Munster? It's an interesting selection and if they line up as they are on paper it certainly means we are offering something different at international level to basically every other nation bar Australia with a bash merchant at 12. I am intrigued.

He played there at U-20's I think alongside Cave. My guess is that they will interchange but will line out initially as per their numbers. At least we are trying something here and the potential is there for a good combination. McFadden and Earls could even switch round at times......

Come on Clive theres no need for that man, relax sir guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:23 am

clivemcl wrote:
red_stag wrote:We have this one already though Clive

Which is fine if you want to continue talking about 'Your team for all Blacks match'
But since its been named, I imagine that would be a pointless exercise.

You could however go over and discuss the name announcement on the team announcement thread

Wow touchy or what.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:24 am

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:You can't really bash Kidney with that side to be honest. I am really concerned about Zebo and that his defence, which from what I have seen (caveat here, only about a dozen games) isn't the best. Trimble might not be in the best form about at least he has a solid defence. In saying that Gilroy should be there win front of them both, but I don't want to nitpick that selection too much. I hope Zebo plays well as he is a really exciting talent. McFadden is a strange call to me. He can't get in the Leinster side in his own position, yet is selected at Ireland on the wing? I'm afraid I don't get it. To me our wings are a major weak point defensively, and McFadden offers little going forward.

I'd agree with you that we're defensively weak on the wings but no matter who we play there they are gonna be up against it. At least this way I think we have the potential to score and on paper it's our most attacking line up since the days of EOS.

As mentioned yesterday, BOD will wear 13 but more than likely play inside centre. This happened during the 2004 triple crown year with D'arcy and on a couple of other occasions. I think it could work.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:24 am

rodders wrote:

Hey I'm just reacting to unnecesary stubborness. Why can this thread not go be allowed to float away to the dreaded page 2. The titles even wrong now! thumbsup

Is there something precious about these pages that we can't let go of?

anyway, i'm doing myself no favours by adding another post so... Run

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:27 am

clivemcl wrote:
rodders wrote:

Hey I'm just overreacting
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:28 am

Rodders, I agree. I am genuinely excited about seeing Earls and Bod together in the centre. The main thing for me, as you have alluded to, is that he is trying something different here. I am also delighted that Tuohy has been given a start with Ryan as it is far and away the best partnership with POC not available. People can make all the arguments for not picking Murray and Zebo, but I can see why murray has been picked and Zebo is an exciting prospect and other nations, especially Wales, have throw young inexperienced players into the deep end and told them to sink or swim. The only selection I think is a genuine mistake is McFadden. But listen, the time for recriminations is after the match if we lose. I think we have a decent chance in this first test so now the choice for me is difficult- do I have poached eggs with my bacon and soda, or fried eggs?

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:37 am

The last time an Irish midfeild dominated another team was against Wales a few years ago, one of the only times I can remember BOD and Earls in the center together.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:43 am

red_stag wrote:Darcy will surely be gone. Kidney has picked McFadden, Cave, Earls and O'Driscoll in the match day squad.

Yeah I'd agree particularily the fact that Cave is on the bench rather than Darcy (who technically can play wing and both centres too).

We may have seen the last of Gordon Darcy in green. If BOD were to get injured he would probably come into the side. If Earls were to get injured (based on todays selection) you'd have to say Cave would get the nod.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:56 am

Without wanting to burst the bubble of those who think this is the shape of things to come.... if this is the last we'll see of D'arcy in green (I don't believe it is)... why the flip did the IRFU give him a 2 year contract extension last month??? Headscratch
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:58 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
red_stag wrote:Darcy will surely be gone. Kidney has picked McFadden, Cave, Earls and O'Driscoll in the match day squad.

Yeah I'd agree particularily the fact that Cave is on the bench rather than Darcy (who technically can play wing and both centres too).

We may have seen the last of Gordon Darcy in green. If BOD were to get injured he would probably come into the side. If Earls were to get injured (based on todays selection) you'd have to say Cave would get the nod.

No way we've seen the last of anyone in the squad,Kidney will have to use everyone at some stage.If he doesn't he'll have learned nothing from the 6N where he tried playing the same team every time and by the end the players weren't able to keep going at the required level.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:15 am

rodders wrote:Without wanting to burst the bubble of those who think this is the shape of things to come.... if this is the last we'll see of D'arcy in green (I don't believe it is)... why the flip did the IRFU give him a 2 year contract extension last month??? Headscratch

Good point Rods. I don't think it is the end of Darcy in the Ireland team, and I don't think it should be, he's still performing at a high level for Leinster. But I'm glad we're at least trying out a (reasonably) new combo, and i hope that if we do see him return to the Ireland team it won't be as a bosher.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:03 pm

Obviously Kidney thinks Earls and Cave are playing better at 13 though than Darcy at 12. This is only a 3 test tour as well, not a 5 test competition.

I for one hope he gives this team a little bit of time to get to settle with each other with maybe the odd change here and there like Ross coming in or change of 9 perhaps.

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:05 pm

Theres a sticky Pete! thumbsup

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:24 pm

rodders wrote:Without wanting to burst the bubble of those who think this is the shape of things to come.... if this is the last we'll see of D'arcy in green (I don't believe it is)... why the flip did the IRFU give him a 2 year contract extension last month??? Headscratch

From what I've heard the new central contracts that players such as Doc, Darcy and the other older players signed are no longer high basic salary and are very incentivised. Unless they start, or make the 22, for international games they will earn a lot less than before.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:38 pm

valjester wrote:

From what I've heard the new central contracts that players such as Doc, Darcy and the other older players signed are no longer high basic salary and are very incentivised. Unless they start, or make the 22, for international games they will earn a lot less than before.

Interesting. Thats the right way to do it.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 07 Jun 2012, 12:47 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Obviously Kidney thinks Earls and Cave are playing better at 13 though than Darcy at 12. This is only a 3 test tour as well, not a 5 test competition.

I for one hope he gives this team a little bit of time to get to settle with each other with maybe the odd change here and there like Ross coming in or change of 9 perhaps.

Why have you written Fitzpatrick off before he has set foot on the pitch.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:03 pm

Ah Rava, no need to be so sensitive, but if you want an answer, the same reason why I'd drop Tuohy for POC if the latter were fit, he is a PROVEN player and still at the level. No Anti-Ulster conspiracy and Fitzpatrick has earned his place so I wish him the best and you have no idea how much I want him to do well; what a baptism to be playing the Ab's in their own back yard against Tony Woodcock.... I don't fear for the guy though & with Best beside him he has every chance of gelling well with this front row unti. Fingers crossed anyway.

So calm down, I don't think you'd have been begrudging of Ross being TH if he were fit, so it is natural to suggest that should he later become fit that our first choice FR includes Ross, not Fitzpatrick. For now. By 10.30am on Saturday, things may be very different.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next