The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To Beat Floyd Mayweather Junior's Defense

+27
eddyfightfan
Bob
samevans1
Jukebox Timebomb
John Bloody Wayne
BoxingFan88
ArchBritishchris
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Imperial Ghosty
Perfessor Albertus Lion V
oxring
BALTIMORA
Boxtthis
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
kevchadders
bellchees
hitmansam
coxy0001
88Chris05
Eric Da Cat
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
HumanWindmill
D4thincarnation
compelling and rich
Scottrf
manos de piedra
AlexHuckerby
31 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

How To Beat Floyd Mayweather Junior's Defense - Page 3 Empty How To Beat Floyd Mayweather Junior's Defense

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:07 am

First topic message reminder :

I was just sitting here at 7 in the morning when I thought how do you actually beat Floyd Mayweather Junior's defense? He has made a big deal at there not being a specific blueprint on how to beat him.

(By the way if this turns into a Manny Floyd debate I am gonna cry)

However he is human right? He has been caught by Sugar Shane, there was the HIS GLOVE TOUCHED DOWN REF! Against Zab Judah, but I was just wondering how you land the shots against Mayweather, because realistically the only ways that have been proven to have a chance against him so far have been outwork him. (Which works well in America considering they do look at aggression as more of a factor, take Hatton Mayweather, by my scorecard Hatton was down massively because of precise work by FMJ, however it was still relatively close because Hatton was aggressive) The other way of how to beat him would be to just have one punch knockout power and stun him if you sneak off a lucky shot.

But apart from these facts, how many guys can you say have had if at all any success at landing clean shots on FMJ regularly, also how do you go about doing this, what kind of style have you got to take, have you got to make him make the first move, what's your guys thoughts?

(Just thought it would be refreshing as this kind of thing doesn't seem to get talked about much on here)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

How To Beat Floyd Mayweather Junior's Defense - Page 3 Empty Re: How To Beat Floyd Mayweather Junior's Defense

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:2nd best WW of all time behind SRR imo.

Really? Without wishing to get into a whole top ten debate in which some people seem to (bizarrely) value the potential of some fighters far higher than the actual achievements of others - I don't know how anyone could put Mayweather above SLR at WW (to name just one). Leonard was like floyd times 2. Granted Floyd is an excellent boxer, but he's just not put all that effort into proving it.

As everyone mentioned the blueprint to beat floyd is a tough one due to his tremendous ability to keep calm and make adjustments. I just wish he'd push himself towards a few sterner tests.

I've just always felt FMJ would just beat SLR but wouldn't be much in it. Think FMJ is just a bit quicker and better defencively and that swings it that way for me.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

How To Beat Floyd Mayweather Junior's Defense - Page 3 Empty Re: How To Beat Floyd Mayweather Junior's Defense

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:08 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:"hopefully Mayweather will step up and take on a real threat in the shape of Pacquiao."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A67535940

Maybe you should create your own thread called D4th's boxing quotes, rather than hijack someone else's thread.

Whats the matter?

Does the truth hurt are are you actually stupid?

Windy showed you up the other day by pullin up your articles on 606 and just as well he did because there might be some people on here who don't realise how creepy you are.

Anyway, there is no blueprint to beat Floyd Mayweather, its just a myth.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:09 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:I've just always felt FMJ would just beat SLR but wouldn't be much in it. Think FMJ is just a bit quicker and better defencively and that swings it that way for me.
But Leonard beat Benitez, Hearns and Duran(II) at WW.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Yes because Leonard beat fighter such as Duran, Hearns, Benitez and Hagler while Mayweather beat fighters such as Baldomir, Mitchell, Judah and SF Marquez.
No comparison, is there.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Scottrf wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:I've just always felt FMJ would just beat SLR but wouldn't be much in it. Think FMJ is just a bit quicker and better defencively and that swings it that way for me.

I'm not going on record here mate just ability. I would never say FMJ has the wins on his record that SLR does just think he would beat him. Their is a group of fighters at that weight that could all beat each other Leonard, Robinson, Mayweather, Duran, it's who do you prefer really.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:15 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

I'm not going on record here mate just ability. I would never say FMJ has the wins on his record that SLR does just think he would beat him. Their is a group of fighters at that weight that could all beat each other Leonard, Robinson, Mayweather, Duran, it's who do you prefer really.

Maybe there are some Sven Ottke fans that think he would beat RJJ, Hagler, Monzon and Greb. "Not saying Ottke had a better record than any of them but just on ability he beat them" 🤦

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:15 pm

My twopennyworth would be that Floyd was at his absolute best at superfeather, at which weight I'd make him a serious rival to Arguello as the greatest of all time.

Just my OPINION, but I feel he might come unstuck against the greatest genuine welters, of whom Leonard is definitely one.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:20 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:My twopennyworth would be that Floyd was at his absolute best at superfeather, at which weight I'd make him a serious rival to Arguello as the greatest of all time.

Just my OPINION, but I feel he might come unstuck against the greatest genuine welters, of whom Leonard is definitely one.

You might be right I just feel their isn't much between the elite. Could all beat each other on any given day.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:21 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Maybe there are some Sven Ottke fans that think he would beat RJJ, Hagler, Monzon and Greb. "Not saying Ottke had a better record than any of them but just on ability he beat them" 🤦

Not really sure what you're point is. Do you have one? Or is it just the mindless rambling of a man who has been proved wrong?

Last edited by prettyboy1304 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:21 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:My twopennyworth would be that Floyd was at his absolute best at superfeather, at which weight I'd make him a serious rival to Arguello as the greatest of all time.

You might be right I just feel their isn't much between the elite. Could all beat each other on any given day.

You might also be right, mate. That's half the fun of all this.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:24 pm

When you're dealing with the absolute elite it's more down to personal preference with this sort of thing because their is no benchmark to compare Leonard, Robinson and Mayweather.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:27 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Their is a group of fighters at that weight that could all beat each other Leonard, Robinson, Mayweather, Duran, it's who do you prefer really.

It's absolutely correct that you can't put Floyd anywhere near these guys in terms of record. That's why I think it's unfair to put him in that mix based on subjective and largely untested perception of his skills. For my money SLR destroys Floyd. Can you imagine Floyd in there with Hearns. He's never fought anyone like Hearns in his life! No one even close. Duran - I'd maybe call that one a close fight. But Floyd barely squeaked past DLH - tell me that DLH could hang with any of the fighters mentioned here.

Floyd gets too much credit. He hasn't fought nearly enough challenging bouts. If he took on Martinez at 154 I'd have much more respect for him. It's funny how Floyd fans try to make excuses for this fight i.e. it's not financially viable (Floyd's already a multi-millionaire...and why are we arguing about the business side of things anyway? We’re boxing fans that want to see great fights!). SLR, Hearns, and Duran all took on Marvin Hagler – why can’t Floyd take on Martinez (who's close to his weight anyway!)? Because, unlike those guys, he’d rather stay safe and talk about being great rather than actually stepping up and proving he’s great.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:34 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:Their is a group of fighters at that weight that could all beat each other Leonard, Robinson, Mayweather, Duran, it's who do you prefer really.

It's absolutely correct that you can't put Floyd anywhere near these guys in terms of record. That's why I think it's unfair to put him in that mix based on subjective and largely untested perception of his skills. For my money SLR destroys Floyd. Can you imagine Floyd in there with Hearns. He's never fought anyone like Hearns in his life! No one even close. Duran - I'd maybe call that one a close fight. But Floyd barely squeaked past DLH - tell me that DLH could hang with any of the fighters mentioned here.

Floyd gets too much credit. He hasn't fought nearly enough challenging bouts. If he took on Martinez at 154 I'd have much more respect for him. It's funny how Floyd fans try to make excuses for this fight i.e. it's not financially viable (Floyd's already a multi-millionaire...and why are we arguing about the business side of things anyway? We’re boxing fans that want to see great fights!). SLR, Hearns, and Duran all took on Marvin Hagler – why can’t Floyd take on Martinez (who's close to his weight anyway!)? Because, unlike those guys, he’d rather stay safe and talk about being great rather than actually stepping up and proving he’s great.

Money is relevant and the biggest stumbling block in any fight happening especially when it comes to Mayweather. Would you get in a ring with Martinez for nothing?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:39 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Money is relevant and the biggest stumbling block in any fight happening especially when it comes to Mayweather. Would you get in a ring with Martinez for nothing?
If he wanted to, he could make these fights happen.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:41 pm

Scottrf wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:Money is relevant and the biggest stumbling block in any fight happening especially when it comes to Mayweather. Would you get in a ring with Martinez for nothing?

He could but money is more important to him than pride or what people think about him. I like Mayweather the boxer not as a person. Why do you think he came back?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:45 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
He could but money is more important to him than pride or what people think about him. I like Mayweather the boxer not as a person. Why do you think he came back?
He could get paid a lot without the risk that comes with Pacquiao or Martinez. If money was all that mattered and he wanted to prove himself he could have made tens of millions extra the last few years. He would have beaten an unbeaten Cotto rather than retiring. Instead he's more interested in writing off his potential opponents by posting videos of their losses.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:52 pm

It's no secret that money is the most important thing to the man. He doesn't care about proving himself. He seems comfy with what he has achieved. His legal trouble has been the reason he hasn't been back in the ring since Mosley so he says. I'm not wanting to come across as if I'm defending him I'm not. When he retired he had already negotiated a contract to do dancing with the stars which he was well paid for and to make an appearance on the wwe which was another very good earner. Think he thought their would be more offers like that and their wasn't so he came back.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:10 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:When you're dealing with the absolute elite it's more down to personal preference with this sort of thing because their is no benchmark to compare Leonard, Robinson and Mayweather.

Problem is Mayweather is not in that class, his record proves it, has next mixed it with the best, or even the the next tier down of his generation, don't see how he can be compared to the greats of the sport.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:11 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:When you're dealing with the absolute elite it's more down to personal preference with this sort of thing because their is no benchmark to compare Leonard, Robinson and Mayweather.

Problem is Mayweather is not in that class, his record proves it, has next mixed it with the best, or even the the next tier down of his generation, don't see how he can be compared to the greats of the sport.

He's a candidate for greatest ever superfeather, though.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:12 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:He's a candidate for greatest ever superfeather, though.
And most sexual performance in a debut.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:13 pm

Scottrf wrote:

You've lost me, mate.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:13 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
You've lost me, mate.
Wasn't meant literally. He looked good in his debut.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Scottrf wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
You've lost me, mate.
Wasn't meant literally. He looked good in his debut.

Pity. I thought there might be some footage of the ring card girls getting it on.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:24 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:It's no secret that money is the most important thing to the man. He doesn't care about proving himself. He seems comfy with what he has achieved. His legal trouble has been the reason he hasn't been back in the ring since Mosley so he says. I'm not wanting to come across as if I'm defending him I'm not. When he retired he had already negotiated a contract to do dancing with the stars which he was well paid for and to make an appearance on the wwe which was another very good earner. Think he thought their would be more offers like that and their wasn't so he came back.

Not really he turned down big money because he was worried the other guy might beat him. Keeping that 0 is the most important thing to him, and he will avoid the tough fights to do it.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:29 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

He beat who he had to beat at superfeather, the only weight he did do that but the division was not blessed with superstars. Corrales was his best win, and though a good fighter he not an elite. If you look at the names that have fought at superfeather in the last 20 year alone would Corrales make the top 10?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:30 pm

What's this thread called? Is it 'What makes Mayweather a ducker?' or 'Has Floyd Mayweather Jr faced the best possible opponents?'

I don't think it is. As such, it's in danger of being dragged off-topic.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:33 pm

Lads - please keep this on topic.

This is not about fighters Floyd "could have" fought.

This IS about how to beat Floyd's defence.

Thus far we have 2 notions - a good jab (not a bad idea) vs a good pressure fighter (my favoured suggestion). Please continue to discuss
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:34 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:What's this thread called? Is it 'What makes Mayweather a ducker?' or 'Has Floyd Mayweather Jr faced the best possible opponents?'

I don't think it is. As such, it's in danger of being dragged off-topic.

Good point.

I think a fighter that is tall, rangy, throws a lot of punches with a decent chin could cause Mayweather problems.
A 6ft + welter with a huge reach advantage will be a puzzle for Mayweather to solve.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:35 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

He beat who he had to beat at superfeather, the only weight he did do that but the division was not blessed with superstars. Corrales was his best win, and though a good fighter he not an elite. If you look at the names that have fought at superfeather in the last 20 year alone would Corrales make the top 10?

Regardless, he did what he had to do at the weight, and this, coupled with his extraordinary talent, makes him a genuine rival to Arguello for top spot.

Just about every historian agrees with that.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:36 pm

oxring wrote:Lads - please keep this on topic.

This is not about fighters Floyd "could have" fought.

This IS about how to beat Floyd's defence.

Thus far we have 2 notions - a good jab (not a bad idea) vs a good pressure fighter (my favoured suggestion). Please continue to discuss

Speed as well. Southpaw as he has struggled with southpaw and it put the right hand much more is range to counter his jab and he drop his left leaving his left side of his head unguarded making it easier to hit from the southpaw stance.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:38 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Speed as well. Southpaw as he has struggled with southpaw and it put the right hand much more is range to counter his jab and he drop his left leaving his left side of his head unguarded making it easier to hit from the southpaw stance.
Not on the chin though with that tactic as he rolls his shoulder, and only with single shots as he doesn't stay still under fire. Need more than that to win. I don't think you can out-pot-shot him.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Scottrf wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:Speed as well. Southpaw as he has struggled with southpaw and it put the right hand much more is range to counter his jab and he drop his left leaving his left side of his head unguarded making it easier to hit from the southpaw stance.
Not on the chin though with that tactic as he rolls his shoulder, and only with single shots as he doesn't stay still under fire. Need more than that to win.

Not normally but he does poke his head up from time to time. From a southpaw stance it makes it much easier and will put on the back foot and take away his jab.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:01 pm

The problem with picking a style of fighter to beat him is he is adaptable. His pure boxing skills would get him past most. Pressure fighter won't do it for me he is to slick and stays out of range to get caught with enough punches to trouble him. D4 has a point about a southpaw but he is going to need to be a good body puncher who is taller and can work behind a good stiff jab. Speed of hands and feet would be a must and a solid chin because he will get caught.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:07 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:The problem with picking a style of fighter to beat him is he is adaptable. His pure boxing skills would get him past most. Pressure fighter won't do it for me he is to slick and stays out of range to get caught with enough punches to trouble him. D4 has a point about a southpaw but he is going to need to be a good body puncher who is taller and can work behind a good stiff jab. Speed of hands and feet would be a must and a solid chin because he will get caught.

Adaptable, but not adaptable to everything, or do you believe that he is, and he can fight all styles and adapt to all problems he could face.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:08 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:The problem with picking a style of fighter to beat him is he is adaptable. His pure boxing skills would get him past most. Pressure fighter won't do it for me he is to slick and stays out of range to get caught with enough punches to trouble him. D4 has a point about a southpaw but he is going to need to be a good body puncher who is taller and can work behind a good stiff jab. Speed of hands and feet would be a must and a solid chin because he will get caught.

Adaptable, but not adaptable to everything, or do you believe that he is, and he can fight all styles and adapt to all problems he could face.

Doubt that there's a fighter alive about whom we could say that, to be fair.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:11 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:

Not adaptable to everything I've said above the style of fighter I think could get by his unvelievable defence. Problem is their is no one around like that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfessor Albertus Lion V Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:11 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:I was just sitting here at 7 in the morning when I thought how do you actually beat Floyd Mayweather Junior's defense?

~ Why, sir, merely offer to fight him for the richest purse in history and he folds like a cheap pimps fur coat.

Duh!

https://www.606v2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:13 pm

So what your basically saying is you need the coordination and speed of Leonard to be able to counter him, there isn't anyone good around Welterweight to counter Mayweather at the moment.

A southpaw seems your popular choice, completely ignoring the fact he adapted in double quick time to Judah, not sure he struggles so much with that style again, he's proved time and time again he's a master once he's faced a style.

He struggled against Castillo first time out but has seemed imperious against pressure fighters, his inside fighting is very under rated and he's also very good at the dark arts, so a pressure fighter plays right into his hands as Hatton showed.

Or you need the power, Jab and reach of Hearns, again no one around at the present who fits that criteria. Williams has the reach but doesn't use it nor do I think he has the accuracy to get through Mayweathers defence. I tend to agree that a good jab and strenght is potentially the key, Vernon Forrest would have caused him nightmares in my opinion.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Don't think anyone has mentioned Whittaker his defence was equally as good as Floyds and he might have been able to draw him out of his shell. Not sure he had the power to trouble him enough though.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:26 pm

I reckon adaptablity is important if any opponent is to beat FMJ. Floyd seems to be able to 'unlock' his opponents within a few rounds. Being able to mix things up against him is an essential. No one has done that as far as I've seen.

I also agree that a volume punching, rangy, and powerful fighter would cause him trouble. I think Hearns would have destroyed Mayweather. Paul Williams (who is in may ways a poor man's Tommy Hearns) would at least be an interesting battle. I'd respect Floyd for taking that one, although I think Williams is just too slack with his punching technique not to just get caught with repeated Floyd counters. Again, he will probably never take this fight, as Williams looks like a bit of a risk. Floyd's money first, achievement second approach is another reason (to go nicely hand-in-hand with his comparably poor record) that he should not be mentioned with the WW greats.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:17 pm

D4 spouting his usual guff. As if a slow, lumbering oaf with average power, no lateral movement or technical boxing skill like Margarito could beat Mayweather. Only in D4's dreams. Easy points win for Mayweather, Margarito is a distinctly average fighter.

As for Khan, get real. He may be quick and well conditioned, but his footwork is clumsy, he's inaccurate offensively and doesn't hit hard enough. Showed a decent jab against paulie and kotelnik, but where was it against maidana? Mayweather would hit and counter Khan with so much ease it would be ridiculous. This fight won't happen anyway, the timing is all wrong. I don't think khan will ever be ready, I believe Bradley will stop him if they fight, but even if khan does get to that level mayweather will probably be retired.

I think pacquiao gives mayweather a good fight but he's too easy to hit and a guy with mayweathers handspeed and accuracy will land easily on a guy who Clottey and Marg had no trouble finding. Mayweather is a smarter, more skilful fighter than pacquiao and although pacquiao will hive him trouble with speed, volume punching and the southpaw stance, mayweather will give manny too much of a stylistic puzzle. Pacquiao struggles when he has to think too much in the ring, he fights better on instinct which is why he's done so well against his recent batch of opponents who've been come forward types. Mayweather would outpoint pacquiao. The Judah arguement is pointless, Judah won 3 rounds in that fight, 4 if you're being generous, hardly a blueprint for victory.

The one guy in boxing I'd back to beat Mayweather is Martinez, if they were to meet at a catchweight of 156, or maybe at LMW. like manny he has the southpaw stance, he has fast hands, the power to scare mayweather, he's slicker than manny and unlike manny he has a physical presence that he'll be able to impose on mayweather. He's in good form and if they were to meet within the next year or so I'd be inclined to back Martinez to score a decision.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:D4 spouting his usual guff. As if a slow, lumbering oaf with average power, no lateral movement or technical boxing skill like Margarito could beat Mayweather. Only in D4's dreams. Easy points win for Mayweather, Margarito is a distinctly average fighter.

As for Khan, get real. He may be quick and well conditioned, but his footwork is clumsy, he's inaccurate offensively and doesn't hit hard enough. Showed a decent jab against paulie and kotelnik, but where was it against maidana? Mayweather would hit and counter Khan with so much ease it would be ridiculous. This fight won't happen anyway, the timing is all wrong. I don't think khan will ever be ready, I believe Bradley will stop him if they fight, but even if khan does get to that level mayweather will probably be retired.

I think pacquiao gives mayweather a good fight but he's too easy to hit and a guy with mayweathers handspeed and accuracy will land easily on a guy who Clottey and Marg had no trouble finding. Mayweather is a smarter, more skilful fighter than pacquiao and although pacquiao will hive him trouble with speed, volume punching and the southpaw stance, mayweather will give manny too much of a stylistic puzzle. Pacquiao struggles when he has to think too much in the ring, he fights better on instinct which is why he's done so well against his recent batch of opponents who've been come forward types. Mayweather would outpoint pacquiao. The Judah arguement is pointless, Judah won 3 rounds in that fight, 4 if you're being generous, hardly a blueprint for victory.

The one guy in boxing I'd back to beat Mayweather is Martinez, if they were to meet at a catchweight of 156, or maybe at LMW. like manny he has the southpaw stance, he has fast hands, the power to scare mayweather, he's slicker than manny and unlike manny he has a physical presence that he'll be able to impose on mayweather. He's in good form and if they were to meet within the next year or so I'd be inclined to back Martinez to score a decision.

Well I'm sorry I'm not apart of the Mayweather is the greatest fan club.

Margarito would cause Mayweather huge problems, if you can't see that then thats your lack of insight. Is this just my opinion, no. Back in 2005-2007 the fight was very much talked about, and a lot of people wanted it to happen, everybody apart from Mayweather.

Khan would also call Mayweather huge problems for the reasons stated so would Cotto, and Williams. I wonder why Floyd never took these fights?

Some will have you believe, I the only person in the world that thinks this, but that simply is not the case, and boxing writers, pundits, boxers and trainers were saying the same thing.

Speed, pressure, a good jab, southpaw stance, are things Mayweather has had trouble with. Now a fighter with all this and more will get through Mayweather's defense just as other who have only had a few of those attributes.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:42 pm

Comment by D4thincarnation
--------------------------------------

I dont think he's the greatest, far from it. I just dont think Margarito is a particularly good all round fighter and wouldnt give him much hope of beating floyd. Khan is better than margarito, but he has too many basic flaws in his game and I wouldnt expect him to beat floyd either. Asm much as I like manny, the objective viewer in me has always felt that floyd would be a stylistic nightmare for him and I have always maintained that floyd would beat him, thats always been my opinion. I'm not saying floyd is unbeatable, there are lots of fighters from history I'd back to beat him, and of the current crop I think Williams and Pacquiao would run him close and I'd fancy Martinez to beat him. Thats not calling him the greatest, just being objective and realistic. Whether you like him or not D4, Mayweather is an excellent boxer.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:44 pm

What about a 32-35 year old Shane Mosely, or Miguel Cotto, Paul Williams? A few years back Felix Trinidad was a big name at welterweight. Pernell Whitaker arguably produced a more sublime defence than Mayweather. Power and strength could be problematic, or a counter punching strategy. Boxing behind the jab of Mayweather might prove successful, catch him with counters and move in with salvos after he's unloaded. I would never personally count out good all round boxing skills. Castillo and Judah produced fights from Mayweather as did DLH for many of the rounds.

What about a combination move? A jab to the body followed by hook to the head or triple left hook?

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Comment by D4thincarnation
--------------------------------------

I dont think he's the greatest, far from it. I just dont think Margarito is a particularly good all round fighter and wouldnt give him much hope of beating floyd. Khan is better than margarito, but he has too many basic flaws in his game and I wouldnt expect him to beat floyd either. Asm much as I like manny, the objective viewer in me has always felt that floyd would be a stylistic nightmare for him and I have always maintained that floyd would beat him, thats always been my opinion. I'm not saying floyd is unbeatable, there are lots of fighters from history I'd back to beat him, and of the current crop I think Williams and Pacquiao would run him close and I'd fancy Martinez to beat him. Thats not calling him the greatest, just being objective and realistic. Whether you like him or not D4, Mayweather is an excellent boxer.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm sorry but you won't beat mayweather by countering him he is too quick. The only way I think you can beat him is be much bigger than him have a knockout punch and catch him early so he hasn't had a chance to figure you out. Once it gets passed about round 5 your finished and in for a boxing lesson.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Sounds like Tommy Hearns and Sugar Ray Robinson are dead certs then.

I think Cotto at his best against Mayweather would've been interesting. People forget Cotto could be a very varied and effective boxer as well as being tough and physically strong with lots of gumption. Margarito too wouldn' suit Mayweather at all, I don't think Floyd could really hurt Marg at his best at all, the guy had a granite head and heavy hands, although abvious scandals do cast doubt over them.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Margarito is way to slow to hit mayweather and he would look like a dog chasing his tail. Mayweather hits a lot harder than you give him credit for. If he has enough power to keep mosley walking through him he has some pop. Mosley took a beating in that fight just after he had annihilated margarito. Mayweather has problems with his hands as well....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:11 pm

The problem is with FMJ he hasn't took on enough top guys to have a record of an ATG like Leonard. That leaves him open to criticism. If he had beat Morales, Barrera, Tszyu, Pacquiao would peoples opinions be that much different? He did beat Hernandez, Corrales, Chavez, Castillo twice, N'Dou, Corley, Gatti, Judah, Baldomir, De La Hoya and Hatton in world title fights. That's not to shabby.

IMO it would take a special fighter like an ATG top 5 WW to do that. I said before I only see Robinson beating him. But on their day Leonard, Benitez, Hearns and Duran would win their fair share of fights in a series.

He doesn't have the record of an ATG but he has the ability. Defencively he is untouchable maybe the greatest defencive fighter of all time. His speed and counter punching is exceptional. He is better on the inside than he is given credit for and has a harder punch than his KO record suggest. He doesn't seem to care tha much about stopping fighters his last 2 fights showed that. He could have got Marquez and Mosley out but took it easy.

It would take a very good well rounded fighter to beat Floyd he is adaptable and would pick the weak point of a guy that does 1 or 2 things exceptionally well but a couple of things poorly. I don't see anyone around just now I think is capable of this but Martinez comes closest.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Manny has a decent chance, but I think he'd get a bit carried away and try to blast out Mayweather ala Hatton. IMO against Mayweather opponents cant over commit with their shots. Floydy is too hard to hit cleanly and too good at countering. As someone has said, Calzaghes style would prob be one of the more effective. Lots of short arm punches making Mayweather work in defence without being left too open to counters. I couldn't see letting Mayweather fight off the front foot being effective at all. He's too quick and to good a boxer to walk onto anything.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next