The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements.

+74
englandglory4ever
Thomond
Galted
GLove39
ultra
HERSH
mystiroakey
LondonTiger
Cari
Duty281
sheephead
Red Right
glamorganalun
Pal Joey
anotherworldofpain
Golden
Intotouch
Don Alfonso
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
eirebilly
Hound_of_Harrow
thebluesmancometh
KiaRose
Portnoy's Complaint
Goosestepper
MBTGOG
Kingshu
John Cregan
ScarletSpiderman
WillyGilly
Submachine
GoodinTightSpaces
kunu
The Great Aukster
Gibson
Taylorman
Hookisms and Hyperbole
debaters1
UlstermaninGlasgow
BelfastDickVet
SirJohnnyEnglish
SecretFly
OzT
JmD
Scrumdown
maestegmafia
Irishhoneymonster
George Carlin
RubyGuby
valjester
Rory_Gallagher
Morgannwg
clivemcl
Jenifer McLadyboy
Mr Fishpaste
pete (buachaill on eirne)
fa0019
dublin_dave
Sin é
Mickado
Ulsterexile
toml
profitius
neilthom7
ME-109
asoreleftshoulder
Notch
kiakahaaotearoa
LeinsterFan4life
Standulstermen
GunsGerms
Pot Hale
rodders
Biltong
78 posters

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

Go down

Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements. - Page 21 Empty Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements.

Post by Biltong Sun 04 Nov 2012, 6:26 am

First topic message reminder :

The much anticipated Autumn Iinternationals has arrived and South Africa will begin their three test tour against Ireland on Saturday at Landsdowne road. With a record of only one win in their last four test matches and 3 straight losses between 2004 and 2009, the Springboks would like to continue their resurgence against Ireland and emulate their two point victory of 2010.

But will they be up for an Ireland team who have been just about as disappointing as the Springboks were in 2012.

Ireland who boast wins over Scotland and Italy and a Hard earned draw over France at Stade de France earlier in the year has a disappointing return of 5 losses, 2 wins and 1 draw for the year.

South Africa has not fared much better, with 4 wins, 3 losses and 2 draws for the year.

Both teams will rue lost opportunities during the year where execution and specifically goal kicking have haunted the Springboks in Particular. Their goal kickin records stands at a miserly 55% for the year and will lose you more tests than win.

Ireland will be without their inspirational captain Brian O'Driscoll and South Africa after a long season will bewithout the services of Arguably the best Hooker in world rugby Bismarck du Plessis, the athletic Andries Bekker, talisman Schalk Burger, Pierre Spies, Heinrich Brussow, Johan Goosen, Bryan Habana (yeah I know I am complaining a bit much here), Frans Steyn and Coenie Oosthuizen.

Will this end of season tour be a bridge too far for an injury riddled South African squad or will they be able to overcome an Irish team who hasn't convinced this year.

Likely SA matchday 22.

1. Beast Mtwarira
2. Adriaan Strauss
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Juandre Kruger (Marco Wentzel)
6. Francois Louw
7. Willem Alberts
8. Duane Vermeulen
9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Patrick Lambie
11. Francois Hougaard
12. Jean de Villiers
13. Jaco Taute
14. JP Pietersen
15. Zane Kirchner

Bench
16. Gurthro Steenkamp
17. Schalk Brits
18. Pat Cilliers
19. Flip v d Merwe
20. Marcelle Coetzee
21. Franco v d Merwe
22. Jan Vermaak
23. Morne Steyn

I'll update if someone provides me a likely Irish matchday 22.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements. - Page 21 Empty Re: Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements.

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:43 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:I wonder if Gibson still 'believes'... Love how he comes on here and all the IRish start worshipping him. It's only a rugby forum guys Laugh. Here's one for you Gibson guinness.
huh?? Headscratch

Don't bother trying to understand that moron,he just likes to have digs at other posters.I guess it makes him feel big.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements. - Page 21 Empty Re: Ireland vs South Africa pre-match talk and squad announcements.

Post by MrsP Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:44 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:Four offloads yesterday lads, 50% of them by Tommy Bowe. Look at how Argentina offloaded in the tackle against Wales and made mincemeat of that defence.

There is a huge difference between the way the SH teams and France offload and the way we offload. Our support runners are more like support walkers.

But look at Leinster and Ulster. We can play an off-loading game with a large number of Irish players. No reason the same players can't play that way in Green.

I think many coaches would be rubbing their hands to get the hold of the players we have but maybe the IRFU set up would be less attractive?

Pete, the comments by BOD were in response to a question in the pre-match stuff with Keith Wood and Gabby. It was fairly tongue in cheek. If you can get the BBC i-player you can watch it.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:48 am

haven't been able to get the BBC one no. Doh

I would love to coach these players but the set up would be nasty I think.

In green we don't look for offloads. I think Penny is working on this hugely with Munster though and as you say Ulster and Leinster do it, so maybe that will help

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:50 am

McSharry is one dimensional at present. He is used on the crash constantly. Do Ireland look like they can set up the crash ball at the minute? No. If McSharry were used on the crash he would be receiving it 5m behind the gainline as Trimble and co did and would be routinely smashed back by waiting tacklers.

Griffen is vastly overrated by this seasons form

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:53 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:haven't been able to get the BBC one no. Doh

In green we don't look for offloads. I think Penny is working on this hugely with Munster though and as you say Ulster and Leinster do it, so maybe that will help
We dont try to do anything in attack tbh. We are just clueless with the ball in hand. We never looked like scoring a try the whole match.

Coaching is just simply awful atm. We have to go threw another embarrasing 6n's of this shoite.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 11 Nov 2012, 12:13 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:haven't been able to get the BBC one no. Doh

We dont try to do anything in attack tbh. We are just clueless with the ball in hand. We never looked like scoring a try the whole match.

Coaching is just simply awful atm. We have to go threw another embarrasing 6n's of this shoite.

I think we did try a few moves. There was a nice set up off lineouts where Darcy takes the ball directly off 9 and there was movement from Sexton running deep and Earls and blind side winger running off 12 short and flat. That was about it though. We are really, really poor at attacking though I agree. We tried that move twice and didn't execute once. Our best attacking came from Zebo, Bowe and Sexton playing inside passes which is a huge improvement but is still so basic.

Team against Fiji:

Kilcoyne-Strauss-Bent
Tuohy-McCarthy (c)
Henderson-POM-Doughall
Marshall-Jackson
Marshall-Cave
Earls-Zebo-Gilroy

Cronin-Court-Ross-Ryan-McLaughlin-Murray-Madigan-McFadden

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Nov 2012, 12:15 pm

Morgannwg wrote:I wonder if Gibson still 'believes'... Love how he comes on here and all the IRish start worshipping him. It's only a rugby forum guys Laugh. Here's one for you Gibson guinness.

I love Gibson but thats only because he is one sexy old Ladyboy Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Nov 2012, 12:22 pm

MrsP wrote:

But look at Leinster and Ulster. We can play an off-loading game with a large number of Irish players. No reason the same players can't play that way in Green.

I think many coaches would be rubbing their hands to get the hold of the players we have but maybe the IRFU set up would be less attractive?

Pete, the comments by BOD were in response to a question in the pre-match stuff with Keith Wood and Gabby. It was fairly tongue in cheek. If you can get the BBC i-player you can watch it.

I only saw it live and was a little shocked that he would say something like that. Must have missed the context but even if tongue in cheek, the old saying of many a true word spoken in jest comes to mind Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 11 Nov 2012, 2:42 pm

I'd be very interested in hearing that again as that could be a huge insight peak in to the mood of the Irish camp at present

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 11 Nov 2012, 2:49 pm

Evening all just home from the game .... just rewatching the match on Iplayer to see if the second half performance by us was as shambolic as it looked from the upper tier in the aviva....... censored
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 11 Nov 2012, 2:52 pm

The night is darkest before the dawn.

But I still think we can fall further if I'm being honest, I do think this can get worse. It's a very bleak moment as an Irish Rugby fan and if we fall out of the Top 8 our performances will leave a bitter legacy for Kidneys successor.

Last edited by Notch on Sun 11 Nov 2012, 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sun 11 Nov 2012, 2:54 pm

I would have said 16-12 to SA would be an alright result for whats a fairly aerage Ireland side. However having been 12-3 up at half time Ireland should be disappointed not to win. SA were poor in the first half, raised their game in the second half and pretty much out muscled Ireland who never threatened. Poor game overall but it usually is between these two sides and the styles they play.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 11 Nov 2012, 2:57 pm

Sorry boys, thread has reached it's limit.

Can someone please open another.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 11 Nov 2012, 3:50 pm

You guys can continue the discussion Here
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21