The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December

+31
doctor_grey
Standulstermen
Ozzy3213
valjester
asoreleftshoulder
WillyGilly
Gibson
Pot Hale
johnnymonaghan
UlstermaninGlasgow
Artful_Dodger
rodders
Cari
Golden
LeinsterFan4life
the-goon
Don Alfonso
Glas a du
toml
Thomond
The Great Aukster
Notch
Jenifer McLadyboy
neilthom7
thebandwagonsociety
Kingshu
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Mickado
BoyneRFC
clivemcl
MrsP
35 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December Empty Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December

Post by MrsP Tue 18 Dec 2012, 10:06 am

Back to Rabo Pro 12 action this weekend at Ravenhill when we host our nearest and dearest neighbours, the Boys in Blue.

Ulster's unbeaten run has ended but they are still in prime position in both league and Cup competitions...for now. Leinster have had a more mixed bag in both competitions so far but have by far the better record in this head to head battle.

Both teams have fresh injuries from their HEC matches at the weekend as well as longer term absences of significant personel.

Who is coming up to Belfast for the game? What kind of teams will the coaches put out? Who will be available?

The match has been sold out for quite a while so if you don't have your mitts on a ticket you'd better be near a telly come 7pm.

The Teams

Ulster

J Payne;
A Trimble,
D Cave,
L Marshall,
C Gilroy;
P Jackson,
R Pienaar;
------------
(1-8):
T Court,
R Best,
J Afoa,
I Henderson,
N McComb,
R Diack,
C Henry (c)
N Williams;
------------
Replacements (16-23):
R Herring,
C Black,
A Macklin,
A O'Connor,
R Wilson,
P Marshall,
P Wallace,
A D'Arcy.

LEINSTER:

15:Noel Reid
14: Andrew Conway
13: Brendan Macken
12: Gordon D'Arcy
11: Fergus McFadden
10: Ian Madigan
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Cian Healy
2: Sean Cronin
3: Michael Bent
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Devin Toner
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Sean O'Brien
8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Aaron Dundon
17: Heinke van der Merwe
18: Jamie Hagan
19: Tom Denton
20: Rhys Ruddock
21: Isaac Boss
22: Andrew Goodman
23: Adam Byrne

Last edited by MrsP on Fri 21 Dec 2012, 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December Empty Re: Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December

Post by clivemcl Tue 18 Dec 2012, 10:10 am

I'm one of the few snoozers who didnt expect the tickets to go as fast as they did!

Have people seen that Ulsters Rory Best and Pienaar are the only non S15 players named in Planetrugby's team of the year!

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16016_8340706,00.html

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December Empty Re: Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December

Post by MrsP Tue 18 Dec 2012, 10:10 am

Ulster are seriously stretched in the second row just now with Tuohy added to the already injured Muller in our engine room and Stevenson not quite ready to return as yet.

So..... Whistle .... I was thinking....You know how when you turn up for a game and one team has only 14 so the other team either lend you a player or they play with 14 too?

Or, could we extend the " Very Happy Must have 2 qualifed props" thing to the other set piece and move to uncontested lineouts for this one?

Seems only fair like!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 18 Dec 2012, 10:29 am

My bad, theres two french based players in that team.

As for second row, if we had kept Sean Dougal, he might now be getting a run out. He's probably glad of the game time at Munster Whistle

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 18 Dec 2012, 10:31 am

I thought Dougall was a back row, no?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 18 Dec 2012, 10:42 am

Oh really? Ah well, in that case he'd be on the bench for the Ravens Whistle

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Tue 18 Dec 2012, 10:55 am

Doh

Last edited by BoyneRFC on Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 18 Dec 2012, 10:59 am

Technically, Connacht and Munster would be Mexicans too no?

I'd imagine that we'll go with a full strenght team, injuries aside, and maybe bring in O'Malley who started his first game for the A's after injury last weekend.

Something like:

VDM - Cronin - Bent
Toner - Cullen
Ruddock - Heaslip - O'Brien
Boss - Sexton
Conway - Goodman - O'Malley - McFadden
D.Kearney

Dundon - McGrath - Healy - Browne - Murphy / Ryan - Reddan - Madigan - Carr

Maybe? Possibly? Who bloody knows!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:03 am

Joe Schmidt did not look happy doing his last 2 interviews.

Having said that, I think Ulster have been riding their luck and believing their own hype a bit so they might just have a not so happy Christmas.

They will still be tough, but I can not remember Leinster ever having any trouble in Belfast.

We'll see.

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:11 am

MrsP kiss Laugh

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:17 am

BoyneRFC wrote:
Joe Schmidt did not look happy doing his last 2 interviews.

Having said that, I think Ulster have been riding their luck and believing their own hype a bit so they might just have a not so happy Christmas.

They will still be tough, but I can not remember Leinster ever having any trouble in Belfast.

We'll see.

24th October 2009

Whistle

Just ask Bikkies and Gibbo and Hughie and MickyT. They were all there.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:22 am

Oh we were in trouble alright, it was lashing rain!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:24 am

Soft D4 lot!

Sure it was only a wee drizzle!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Dec 2012, 1:02 pm

Mental injuries going around Ireland at the mo, it's like a flipping cold! Connacht have a pretty hefty list too

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 18 Dec 2012, 2:53 pm

I never really understood the Mexicans thing?

Leinster have such a good head to head record over us that I don't think we'll ever bring it back down evens. A double over them this year would help.

Leinster and Ulster both have had defeats, and will be looking to reassert thier credientials.

Leinster will be looking to close the gap in the table, Ulster to prove that they are possible the top Irish province at present.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 18 Dec 2012, 3:42 pm

It would be novel to have both sides putting out near full strength teams. I always get the impression that the away fixture over christmas gets a wider squad selection while the home fixture gets the big guns.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 18 Dec 2012, 4:03 pm

|I always felt neither got the big guns, Normally the IRFU give the centrally contracted players a Christmas hoilday (rest period) and the Inter-pros for me are diluted.

These should be among the biggest games of the year but they are ruined a little by IRFU.

Last year Ulster sent a young guns to Leinster, while keeping the best team for the home game V Munster (that was 4 days later) however even in the Munster game
"Both sides began the game without their Irish international players, who are taking part in a training camp. "

Without them Ulster decided to target thier home game, but even then it wasn't a full strenght team leinster, Munster or Ulster could put out, kinda ruining to big games,

This year with a bigger squad depth and 8 days between games they may target both,

IMO having the Internationals missing from the Christmas derbies takes a lot away from them, the games against Munster and Leinster ealrier in the season and on Saturday, 30 March. Would prob mean morein total than these two over Christmas.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 18 Dec 2012, 4:44 pm

I think that with our Locks out at least we are only taking on Leinsters Locks Whistle
As long as big Neil and Iain can last the match we shouldn't be too badly off at least we have 2 locks which is an improvement on some occasions this year.
It's going to be a tough Irish derby as always Ulster and Leinster will be looking to bounce back with wins.
Will be interesting to see what happens if that light drizzle that was around in 2009 comes back Very Happy

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 18 Dec 2012, 5:54 pm

I can't believe that rainy day was the only time Ulster have beaten Leinster since we were in the same millennium as the battle of Hastings. Shocked Oh all right there was an interpro in 2001 big swingin' mickeys

I will be there for the 5th time in 7 years.

I would like to point out that just because my great great grandad's brother was one of the founders of the Fenian movement......and just because my parents were not married when I was born....Does NOT make me a Fenian Ba$tard

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 18 Dec 2012, 5:56 pm

Jenny?

You seem a little over wrought.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:00 pm

I'm just blown away by the confidence of Iain Henderson and Craig Gilroy being interviewed on the BBC.

Leave it out with the whole mexicans thing- they are our Irish Rugby brothers Hug

Plus if you're getting your slang from the UAFC forum, you'll get it from anywhere.

Last edited by Notch on Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:00 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:I can't believe that rainy day was the only time Ulster have beaten Leinster since we were in the same millennium as the battle of Hastings. Shocked Oh all right there was an interpro in 2001 big swingin' mickeys

I would like to point out that just because my great great grandad's brother was one of the founders of the Fenian movement......and just because my parents were not married when I was born....Does NOT make me a Fenian Ba$tard

Did something happen Jenny?

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:00 pm

If you knew who I was staying with up there, you would be overwrought.

Let's just say, I won't be cracking that joke. Laugh

Who ever said they didn't get youse lads being the gringos and us the mexicans? Just simple north and south of the border.

Nothing to do with religion politics or economic status.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:01 pm

Notch wrote:I'm just blown away by the confidence of Iain Henderson and Craig Gilroy being interviewed there.

Youth mixed with winning and playing well and a dose of Anscombe give them a bit they will soon become just as cynical as us lol

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:05 pm

Thank goodness for that!

I thought I'd went and been and gone and said something which had upset a lot of people.

When I was about 11 years old my best friend and I were messing about and I called her a twit except I mispronounced it. Both of us thought this unintentional neologism was a great laugh and we promptly repeated it several times until my big brother heard us and told us in no uncertain terms that we were never to use that word again in his hearing!!!!

Shocked

I had the horrible feeling there had been a repeat of that faux pas today!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:08 pm

neilthom7 wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:I can't believe that rainy day was the only time Ulster have beaten Leinster since we were in the same millennium as the battle of Hastings. Shocked Oh all right there was an interpro in 2001 big swingin' mickeys

???

No. Always had the crack up there, everyone was always great. (Edit: in the last 20 years anyway, and before that doesn't count.)

I was just having a laugh. The bit about the Fenians and the unmarriedness is true though.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:15 pm

MrsP wrote:I called her a twit except I mispronounced it.
Laugh
I can see how that could happen in a Nordie accent ok.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:17 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
neilthom7 wrote:

???

No. Always had the crack up there, everyone was always great. (Edit: in the last 20 years anyway, and before that doesn't count.)

I was just having a laugh. The bit about the Fenians and the unmarriedness is true though.

Oh right I see don't mind me I'm a bit slow today must be the weather or the excitement to see Leo the Lion and Sparky battle it out again lol

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:23 pm

Will Leo be wearing a Sombrero?

Run

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:29 pm

Well he won't be needing to pack the sunscreen anyways Laugh

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:33 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
MrsP wrote:I called her a twit except I mispronounced it.
Laugh
I can see how that could happen in a Nordie accent ok.

Careful now! Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 18 Dec 2012, 9:37 pm

South of the border down Mexico way - what's wrong with that?

Jen you sure yer not a FB? Ye sound like one alright, in the traditional warrior poet mould, i.e. strange blue wode on the eyelids but a bit lumpy (and whiffy) like Ballyblue when you get up close. Next you'll be (just) sayin (like) you've Americain connections, where it's become a whole institution aka the FBI.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:14 pm

I can't see this game ending well for Leinster yes some guys are back and Ulster are missing a few, but Ulster as a team same to be singing off one hymn sheet where as Leinster are performing such a mish mash of strategies at the moment mainly down to poor execution it must be said.

I hope we see:
Healy-Cronin-Bent
Cullen-Toner
SOB-Heaslip-Jenno
Reddan-Sexton
Darcy-O'Malley
Kearney Jr-Madigan-McFadden

Dundon-VDM-Ross-Browne-McL-Boss-Conway-Carr

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 19 Dec 2012, 8:38 am

I wasn't thinking someone would be offened Mrs P, just thought there was more to it than just south of the border, like southers coming up and drinking tequilla, Mexicans always appear to be good fun? Never thought it particully good, since some Donegal ones are north of the border (Canadian's).
Or maybe they see us as Canadian's and Donegal is like Alaskia?
anyway 1/3 of us Ulster folk are then Mexicans.

For Leinster much prefer Palers or Jackeen's, maybe I'm going beyound the pale now.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 19 Dec 2012, 10:01 am

That's good Kings.

I wouldn't like to offend anyone.

But you can't be too careful. There may be folk posting on here from Guadalajara and Santiago who are not happy about the association!

Very Happy

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 19 Dec 2012, 10:40 am

Bangkok Mexicans, Leinster are all encompassing, except for culchie's.

Only joking Leinster love Cluchie's supporting them, as long as they wash, get a haircut, put on an expensive shirt, and don't talk that there country speak they use.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:01 am

I was wondering what could possibly be perceived to have upset us. Headscratch

I'd rather be a Mexican than a Gringo any day.

Paler? Jasus you're running out of ammo there big time. Even Jackeen refers to events over a hundred years ago, and is a phrase that people from the other 11 counties of Leinster would possibly use for Dubs anyway.

I do like the way some Munster fans call themselves "the real 6 counties"

Dubs have strict rules about who is a culshie. People from larger cities like Cork and Limerick are puzzled about being culshies. but if you are from outside Dublin City and suburbs you are a culshie. Makes it fun for all the Dubs who moved into the "celtic tiger commuter belt" Ha. They're all culshies now.

Where it gets confusing is when you head north. Are you a Nordie or a Culshie when you are from Donegal? Tough one.

What about people from Dundalk or Newry? Close together. Newry people are definitely Nordies. But are Dundalk people culchies?

These and other important questions answered, when we return.......

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:07 am

Here's my take on it.

Everyone from outside of Dublin is a culchie, unless they're from the 6 counties or Donegal, then their nordies (nothing to do with a boarder, just up north, and Cavan and Monaghan just doesn't feel like "north" so their also culchies.

If you're from a town (no matter how big) you're still a culchie, but not a bogger, boggers are real rural folk.

Being from the rural parts of Dublin (like my dad's side of the family) would make you a country Dub and being from Dublin but living outside of it, makes you a Dulchie (like my brother in Kinegad)

My girlfriend is most certainly a culchie (she says "mad for road" when she's eager to leave somewhere) but not quite a bogger (she was crap at Ag Science in school).

It's all pretty simple really.... Whistle

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:15 am

Mick you're from Tallaght, by definition you are either a druggie, a guy who deals drugs or you are one of those who become a Shamrock Rovers fan

Note, this science isn't exact, there is a possibility that you got out of the "hood" so to speak.

You may actually be a GAA fan........

There won't be many of these guys outside the Aviva.......

Spoiler:

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:27 am

It would appear that we have a lot of work to do in sorting out a shared understanding of appropriate nomenclature before we can even consider what teams said ********* might put out against us ***********.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:30 am

That was actually Mario Rosenstock taking the pi$$ in that clip

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:33 am

It seemed like a genuine interview in fairness.

I take it you have never been to a Dublin LOI ground Jen, some strange creatures are found there...........

I will say that the likes of Mickado appear to be pulling the Tallaght people up by the bootstraps so to speak. Their fans were complaining about the toilet roll in Cork last time they were down like!

Spoiler:

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:55 am

Thomond wrote:It seemed like a genuine interview in fairness.
I was also taking the pi$$.

I am all too well aware of the poor creatures that inhabit the centre of town.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:57 am

They are called Northsiders, we have them down here as well........

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:57 am

For me Belfast people have always been McCooey's,
Dubliners, Dubs, rub a dub dubs.
anyone from the countryside Culchie's (includes myself)
There's blow-in's as well, people who have moved into your Town, village that aren't orginally from there.
Nordies from North of Ireland, includes Donegal.
In North you have spides and Millies, in south scangers

Guess I'd define myself as a Nordie Culchie.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:16 pm

Read on the Ulster fan board (from one of the more reliable posters) that an Australian lock has been sighted in Belfast for possible short term injury cover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kane_Douglas

This post by 'Cascade' made me laugh

Doesn't work that way lads.

We need to have a lock on an IRFU contract that isn't performing and only got a contract coz we'd all too much money. We don't have that, but lets hypothectically say we have one of those. We'll call him Bevan Boner. Unofrtunately Bevan is fully fit and available for every game. We'd also need an ageing international lock and master of getting away with fuppin' murder, but can't carry the second row on his own. Again, we don't have one, but if we did, we'd proabably call him something like Reo Sullen. Anyway, if Reo were to be injured in what the medics reckoned would keep him out for the rest of the season we could sign a short term replacement. That could be any available, probably southern hemisphere. Lets say we signed that hypothetical lock, call him Bad Horn.

Here's the genius, ater Bad & Bevan play a couple of Pro12 games, Reo comes back from injury 3 months earlier than expected, and we can play him and Bad to European domination. We then take that prize money and invest it in an ISA, even though the ISA deadline has past - but that's totally hypothetical, isn't it.

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:20 pm

toml wrote:Read on the Ulster fan board (from one of the more reliable posters) that an Australian lock has been sighted in Belfast for possible short term injury cover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kane_Douglas

This post by 'Cascade' made me laugh

Doesn't work that way lads.

We need to have a lock on an IRFU contract that isn't performing and only got a contract coz we'd all too much money. We don't have that, but lets hypothectically say we have one of those. We'll call him Bevan Boner. Unofrtunately Bevan is fully fit and available for every game. We'd also need an ageing international lock and master of getting away with fuppin' murder, but can't carry the second row on his own. Again, we don't have one, but if we did, we'd proabably call him something like Reo Sullen. Anyway, if Reo were to be injured in what the medics reckoned would keep him out for the rest of the season we could sign a short term replacement. That could be any available, probably southern hemisphere. Lets say we signed that hypothetical lock, call him Bad Horn.

Here's the genius, ater Bad & Bevan play a couple of Pro12 games, Reo comes back from injury 3 months earlier than expected, and we can play him and Bad to European domination. We then take that prize money and invest it in an ISA, even though the ISA deadline has past - but that's totally hypothetical, isn't it.

Laugh

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:25 pm

I do like the way some Munster fans call themselves "the real 6 counties"

Laugh Laugh Laugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:31 pm

That’s very funny alright, but Cullens injury was never reported as one that would keep him out for the rest of the season. I don’t remember him coming back from injury early either.
The Brad Thorn envy is lovely though. Smile

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:34 pm

He is forgetting Tephen Pykes. (Understandably)

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next