The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December

+31
doctor_grey
Standulstermen
Ozzy3213
valjester
asoreleftshoulder
WillyGilly
Gibson
Pot Hale
johnnymonaghan
UlstermaninGlasgow
Artful_Dodger
rodders
Cari
Golden
LeinsterFan4life
the-goon
Don Alfonso
Glas a du
toml
Thomond
The Great Aukster
Notch
Jenifer McLadyboy
neilthom7
thebandwagonsociety
Kingshu
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Mickado
BoyneRFC
clivemcl
MrsP
35 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December - Page 8 Empty Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December

Post by MrsP Tue 18 Dec 2012, 10:06 am

First topic message reminder :

Back to Rabo Pro 12 action this weekend at Ravenhill when we host our nearest and dearest neighbours, the Boys in Blue.

Ulster's unbeaten run has ended but they are still in prime position in both league and Cup competitions...for now. Leinster have had a more mixed bag in both competitions so far but have by far the better record in this head to head battle.

Both teams have fresh injuries from their HEC matches at the weekend as well as longer term absences of significant personel.

Who is coming up to Belfast for the game? What kind of teams will the coaches put out? Who will be available?

The match has been sold out for quite a while so if you don't have your mitts on a ticket you'd better be near a telly come 7pm.

The Teams

Ulster

J Payne;
A Trimble,
D Cave,
L Marshall,
C Gilroy;
P Jackson,
R Pienaar;
------------
(1-8):
T Court,
R Best,
J Afoa,
I Henderson,
N McComb,
R Diack,
C Henry (c)
N Williams;
------------
Replacements (16-23):
R Herring,
C Black,
A Macklin,
A O'Connor,
R Wilson,
P Marshall,
P Wallace,
A D'Arcy.

LEINSTER:

15:Noel Reid
14: Andrew Conway
13: Brendan Macken
12: Gordon D'Arcy
11: Fergus McFadden
10: Ian Madigan
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Cian Healy
2: Sean Cronin
3: Michael Bent
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Devin Toner
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Sean O'Brien
8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Aaron Dundon
17: Heinke van der Merwe
18: Jamie Hagan
19: Tom Denton
20: Rhys Ruddock
21: Isaac Boss
22: Andrew Goodman
23: Adam Byrne

Last edited by MrsP on Fri 21 Dec 2012, 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December - Page 8 Empty Re: Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 24 Dec 2012, 12:58 pm

Notch wrote:He didn't have a good game. He's played much better than that this season though. He's still learning and will be somewhat inconsistent for a while.

I do feel our backs in general stand a wee bit too deep. Luckily our forward play has been absolutely awesome this season. Just watching our tight five on Saturday was great. Henderson is going to be a star.

They come on to it so fast though it is a good thing they are so deep and your entire back3 if given a bit of space are well capable of beating men one on one. The depth is a great thing coupled with the pace of running

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December - Page 8 Empty Re: Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December

Post by MrsP Mon 24 Dec 2012, 1:05 pm

As I say Pete, I had formed a different opinion but I fully accept it was based on very little other than a general impression. Certainly not on anything like the sort of analysis you have provided.

He just never struck me as much more than a very tall player who brought not much more to the pitch than height. I never considered him as a "bright player" at all. I will watch with new eyes next time.

thumbsup

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 24 Dec 2012, 1:20 pm

As regards our kicking game i thought against lesser team we would have been grand with it. Leinsters back three positioning was a thing of beauty though. Considering Reid was at 15 and Conway on the wing and McFadden is a centre it was first class.

Indeed i think McLaughlin did hold back Luke to some extent, and Anscombe has liberated him. Injuries played a role in truth but at the start of last season we went with Spence (Rest in Peace) and Cave which was very one dimensional and hindered Nevins development (he was never a 12 imo)as well.

As regards Cave i think in a year or more likely two he will come under serious pressure from Farrell. Payne will remain our 15 imo but Farrell has the speed, bulk and (thus far it seems) handling ability to play centre comfortably

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 24 Dec 2012, 1:37 pm

MrsP wrote:As I say Pete, I had formed a different opinion but I fully accept it was based on very little other than a general impression. Certainly not on anything like the sort of analysis you have provided.

He just never struck me as much more than a very tall player who brought not much more to the pitch than height. I never considered him as a "bright player" at all. I will watch with new eyes next time.

thumbsup

Cula bula MrsP, sure make your own decision I guess Hug

Ulster lads and lassies for your game against Munster who do you think Anscombe will start

Last edited by pete (buachaill on eirne) on Mon 24 Dec 2012, 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Dyslexia! :()

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 24 Dec 2012, 1:42 pm

Cowa bunga to you too Pete!

Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December - Page 8 3602195817

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 24 Dec 2012, 1:54 pm

MrsP wrote:Cowa bunga to you too Pete!

Ulster v Leinster Friday 21st December - Page 8 3602195817

clap

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 24 Dec 2012, 2:01 pm

Toner does have good hands and makes good decisions, but I still think he's a poor lock forward in many ways. Some of your scrum problems were down to an extremely underpowered second row and he doesn't win as many collisions as you'd want from a big lock. Despite his height, he's not even that great in the lineout.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 24 Dec 2012, 2:09 pm

I suspect we will be sending the Ravens to Thomond.

Anscombe has already confirmed that he has to rest some players and the way he said it sounded like IRFU player management instructions. I think he also needs to rest a few of the NIQs too.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 24 Dec 2012, 2:09 pm

Oh I agree he isn't that good which is a shame cos he was quite good last year for huge portions of the season. Footballing is one of his strengths though. It's a strength of most Leinster players tbh and that is testement to Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 24 Dec 2012, 2:09 pm

I think we will be picking a much changed side to face Munster with the emphasis on making sure guys are rested for a run of three crucial fixtures; Scarlets, Glasgow and Castres. Win those three and we're cool. The derby at Thomond Park is NOT one we want to lose. But of those four its the one we can most afford to lose, with the home game against the Scarlets a warm-up for the all-important Glasgow game.

Perhaps expect to see Best, Afoa, Henry, Pienaar, Cave, Trimble and Payne all rested for Thomond Park. Not sure of the make up of the team except it will essentially be the Ravens.

Maybe;

Court Brady Macklin
McComb Henderson
Diack Williams McComish

P. Marshall Jackson

L. Marshall Allen
Gilroy D'Arcy Cochrane
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 24 Dec 2012, 5:16 pm

Yeah that is what I was expecting I think. Best of luck with it anyways.

Happy Christmas lads

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8