The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis

+27
Danny_1982
sirfredperry
ryan86
lorus59
Spaghetti-Hans
time please
lydian
socal1976
laverfan
newballs
JuliusHMarx
Haddie-nuff
djlovesyou
HM Murdock
banbrotam
super_realist
lags72
FMKK
bogbrush
LuvSports!
Henman Bill
gboycottnut
CaledonianCraig
carrieg4
invisiblecoolers
hawkeye
User 774433
31 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis Empty Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis

Post by User 774433 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:13 pm

Golden Career Grand Slam Holder 11-time Winner Rafael Nadal has confirmed he will enter the Chile Open, which starts on 4th February.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/01/Features/Nadal-To-Play-At-Vina-del-Mar.aspx

Earlier he accepted a wildcard to return at the Brazil Open, which starts on 11th February but has not also confirmed he is playing Chile too, which starts a week earlier.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/01/Features/Nadal-Set-For-Sao-Paulo-Next-Month.aspx

This comes as a surprise considering Nadal was meant to return for the Mexican Open later in February, but he has been feeling good in training and hence pre-poned his return.

Rafael Nadal, founder of the charity 'Rafael Nadal Foundation', helps to provide an opportunity for children and adolescents with disabilities, those coming from underprivileged surroundings and those limited by an unfortunate family environment, who run the risk of being excluded from society. His three projects include: Vicente Ferrer Foundation in Antapur, India; the Special Olympics; and the Aldeas Infantiles SOS. His work in India was noted worldwide, as the Rafael Nadal foundation set up tennis schools which also provided education; for children of all ages and backgrounds.

OK

Amritia3ee

Last edited by Red on Sun 31 Mar 2013, 4:13 pm; edited 8 times in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis Empty Re: Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis

Post by hawkeye Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:20 pm

Whoops sorry! I didn't see this before I posted another article on the same topic...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis Empty Re: Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:22 pm

I very much appreciate what Nadal has done to raise the level of those poor kids in India, and I was delighted to see him in person when he toured India after Tsunami, I saw both Fed and Nadal live close when they came for the charity work.

The only thing I didn't like in the article is the heading, we all know Nadal is a hero and hence stating it on the article headline for a simple reason of his return to action looks meaning less. Use the word hero or heroic when such a performance is attributed at that given time, certainly not here, otherwise it looks a bit more fan boyism.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:23 pm

Good to hear he is back, glad he is feeling good. OK

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:24 pm

Yes it is enough that Nadal will be hitting a few tennis balls. He doesn't have to save the world!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:31 pm

Pleased to hear that. Hope it goes well for him.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:53 pm

hawkeye wrote:Whoops sorry! I didn't see this before I posted another article on the same topic...
You can delete your article still, go on it and next to the edit button there is a cross OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:44 pm

It doesn't come as a surprise to me as his arch nemesis Lukas Rosol won't be playing in it!

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:45 pm

I don't see the need for "heroic" in the title? Just for turning up at a 250?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:56 pm

hes a massive fan of nadal HB he can do as he so chooses.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 15 Jan 2013, 11:26 pm

He's a little excited. Make allowances.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by FMKK Wed 16 Jan 2013, 12:09 am

Just don't get too excited Amritia. We wouldn't want you to wet yourself or anything when he first walks back on court. Wink

FMKK

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 16 Jan 2013, 1:35 am

good led, only 6 posts in and hes cracking out the one liners! thumbsup

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:26 am

It will be good to have Rafa back on the tour. Injuries and lay-offs are of course part & parcel of the world of professional sport, but something is always lost when star performers are absent for prolonged periods.

I've always felt that once Rafa does come back he will be a major threat to all players right from day one, and nothing has changed my thoughts on that. I see every chance for him to have a solid 2013.

All that said, I am somewhat bemused by the 'heroic' tag Headscratch Headscratch

Heroic ....? Really ....?

He's still a tennis player, is he not ....? Or he has changed jobs and will henceforth be devoting his every waking hour to finding a permanent solution to world poverty and hunger....? In which case there might be better places to start than Brazil.

A colleague of mine was once off work for around six months (suffering from a particularly debilitating illness rather more serious than knee damage and 'stomach virus'). Happily he got better. And so he was then able to return to work.

With my colleague not being rewarded at quite the same level as Rafa (or indeed most others who have the ability & luxury to play sport for a living) I wonder should he have been feted on his return to the office as not merely a hero, but a "Superhero"... ....??

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:56 am

Heroic? Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:12 am

Cor this is like an ode to Rafa or something.

This is probably going to be greeted with meh because he has been coming back since the US Open Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:36 am

Exactly. I'll believe it when I see it!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:45 am

You've made this sound like the Second Coming! (although for Rafa it's probably about the Ninth Coming Following Postponements!) Wink

I can understand your excitement though, it's been a long time.

I can see no evidence that any part of this story has come from Uncle Toni, so this one might actually be true!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:02 am

Hello everyone,

Very Happy

Federer is up for discussion in the 606v2 Goat debate

You may wish to add your votes and thoughts

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:25 am

Bogbrush OK
Luvsports OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:26 am

Fluffy, don't worry I won't.
I have better control than that OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:28 am

HM Murdoch wrote:You've made this sound like the Second Coming! (although for Rafa it's probably about the Ninth Coming Following Postponements!) Wink

I can understand your excitement though, it's been a long time.

I can see no evidence that any part of this story has come from Uncle Toni, so this one might actually be true!
thumbsup

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:46 am

He won't be back then. They're just using him to sell tickets at that particular event.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 16 Jan 2013, 12:07 pm

I have to agree IMBL a fan I maybe but I do think the title is a little OTT and Im sure that Rafa would not see it in those terms .. however there are those other than his fans that miss him.. A quote from one of his pals DELPO A translation from Rafa´s Spanish blog .. not good but understandable.

"I think when it's your turn everyone will be happy and will be like a revolution, because the great Rafa will play tennis again," Del Potro said in an interview.

Former world number one Nadal plays not officially from June 28 due to a knee injury twice. The Spanish is delaying the return for months, the last time in late December, when he resigned to play Doha and the Australia Open due to an intestinal infection.. It is expected to return next month
"I imagine what must be happening, is not nice to be out so long," said Del Potro, who after winning the U.S. Open in 2009, lost almost all the 2010 season due to a wrist injury. "In my experience it is important to not rush back. Tennis World and all players miss him, because I know it's not an easy time to see everything from home. has the support of all of us, "continued the world number seven.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 16 Jan 2013, 12:32 pm

if nadal's 7-8 month injury merits a "heroic" what would soderling's recovery from mono constitute as? "unbelievable jeff!" "3 or 4times as heroic as nadal"?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Jan 2013, 12:45 pm

Laugh Kammy!!! Ladbrookes!!! Game on!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 16 Jan 2013, 12:51 pm

KAMMMYY WHYYYYY YOU TALK ABOUT DISSS????
FOOTBALLL IS ONNNN, BET IN PLAY, NOWWW!!!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Jan 2013, 12:57 pm

TIZIANO you require tops!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 16 Jan 2013, 1:00 pm

LuvSports! wrote:if nadal's 7-8 month injury merits a "heroic" what would soderling's recovery from mono constitute as? "unbelievable jeff!" "3 or 4times as heroic as nadal"?

Soderling is not back yet so he cant be classed as heroic anyway.. try Hewitt who recovered from two hip replacements, Nalbandian hip replacement... Blake.´s recovery was astounding. Plenty out there to compare with I would put Fed before Soderling.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed 16 Jan 2013, 1:02 pm

Nadal is probably going to do a Bjorn Borg. Play one or two odd meaningless tournaments after taking a few months off and then announce his official retirement from playing on the men's tour after he finds that his moonballing style of tennis is outdated and can't win him matches V Journeymen players on fast surfaces.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 16 Jan 2013, 1:28 pm

gboycottnut wrote:Nadal is probably going to do a Bjorn Borg. Play one or two odd meaningless tournaments after taking a few months off and then announce his official retirement from playing on the men's tour after he finds that his moonballing style of tennis is outdated and can't win him matches V Journeymen players on fast surfaces.

Thats the kind of remark that has been absent from these boards for quite sometime.. we thought those kind of comments could only now be found on another forum that shall be nameless.. but hey ho!!! here we go again Doh

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 16 Jan 2013, 2:11 pm

it was just an example HN jeesh, it was a light hearted comment

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 16 Jan 2013, 2:18 pm

Really jeesh silly me

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 2:31 pm

Some perspective and sense of balance in this thread please.

We're talking about a group of people who enjoy sufficient good fortune, ability & talent - allied to a measure of dedication and focussed effort - to earn their living (and in many cases a very handsome one indeed) whilst doing something which a lot us choose to do in our spare time, merely for pleasure and amusement ; albeit to a somewhat less impressive standard Shocked

If they happen to suffer a serious injury or illness whilst engaged in what is fundamentally a fun pursuit, then I would see them as deserving of sympathy ; and if they overcome their injury and return to the field of play (to have more fun) then I would see them as deserving of credit, and perhaps even admiration too.

But in such circumstances could I ever consider them as "heroic" .....??

No way.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 4:10 pm

Lags, I'm really not sure we're on the same wavelength here.
I'm not saying anyone is heroic because they came back from injury.

Hope that clears things up.
OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 16 Jan 2013, 4:24 pm

Why is he heroic then?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed 16 Jan 2013, 4:30 pm

IMBL yes by "heroic" it makes it sound as if Nadal is going to lay down his crutches and walk on water or the like.

Admittedly coming back after an injury layoff particularly an ongoing painful one takes a great deal of effort and determination. Muster came back from being run over by a car (from memory) whilst Philipousis (never could spell that name was confined to a wheelchair hitting tennis balls from a seated position to get some practice in when he was injured at one stage. Any of these heroic? Muster I suppose because his injuries were not as a result of playing tennis and a really bad accident at the time.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 4:33 pm

No, doesn't really clear things up, to be honest.

As said in my earlier post (6.26 am), I was totally bemused by your use of the tag "Heroic" - whether meant as a reference to Rafa's much-postponed comeback, OR his (admirable) deeds which benefit those less fortunate than himself.

I've already covered the pure sport aspect - both in relation to Rafa and to a number of players raised by other posters

On the matter of charity : along with many, many others, I personally contribute in various ways to charitable causes. This doesn't get the same press coverage as Rafa's efforts - partly because it cannot, by necessity, be at the same level ; and partly because I do not have a public profile.

However, at no time have I ever considered my donations (or indeed would want them to be viewed by others) as in any way "heroic"

Ultimately no harm done IMBL, but just think you got this one very wrong, and would suggest you might want to think about dropping the tag from your article ......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 16 Jan 2013, 4:49 pm

Actually IMBL you should understand your title not just irritated me but it created a furore. Appropriate words need to be used atleast on the title, still you haven't given a reason why you used the word "Heroic" at the title.

If you are so fascinated about him then there is nothing wrong in dreaming about him but self- dreams shouldn't be correlated with public forums.

The alternative title could have been ," My hero returns back", in that case its justifiable, as we all would know by them he is your hero. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 16 Jan 2013, 4:51 pm

He used 'Heroic' to irritate people and get them chuntering.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 16 Jan 2013, 5:00 pm

djlovesyou wrote:He used 'Heroic' to irritate people and get them chuntering.

Or chundering

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 16 Jan 2013, 5:10 pm

I agree Nadal is the man I follow and I and many others have missed him on court. I recognise that he has had a bad "sports injury" from which he will find it difficult to return to form. However, he would be the first to admit that he is no hero and I really do not believe he, I or anyone else would think to the contrary.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 5:13 pm

djlovesyou wrote:He used 'Heroic' to irritate people and get them chuntering.

If people were irritated I certainly wasn't among them.

I did, however, find it a truly bizarre use of the word "heroic"

And still do Headscratch

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 16 Jan 2013, 5:14 pm

Does the English language have a simple word for someone who you really admire but only for a specific reason?

Groucho Marx isn't my hero, or my idol, but he's my.....don't know? Anyone?
Saying he's the person I admire above all others as a comedy performer takes too long to type.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 5:30 pm

Bit of a conundrum there JHM.

Maybe "all-time favourite" (admittedly TWO words and not very exciting) is about as good as it gets ...... ?

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 16 Jan 2013, 5:47 pm

"he's my ...... main man!" "my....... brother from another mother"
"hes the ...... bees kneees!"

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 5:55 pm

DJ- No you are wrong. Don't try and pretend you know why someone has said something, when you don't.

Anyway I don't have to write a written explanation of every single thing I say on here- the people who understand what I'm saying will, the people that don't, won't.
Simple.

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Wed 16 Jan 2013, 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 5:57 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:Actually IMBL you should understand your title not just irritated me but it created a furore.
What furore?

OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:05 pm

Agreed IMBL, you're certainly not obliged to explain everything - although based on comments to date I don't think your use of "heroic" in this context has truly chimed with any other posters.

Hardly a hanging offence, but it does come across as very much at odds versus your normally rational contributions.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:08 pm

So South America gets Roger closely followed by Rafa. They wait ages for a multi slam winning all time great and then they get two one after another.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next