The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis

+27
Danny_1982
sirfredperry
ryan86
lorus59
Spaghetti-Hans
time please
lydian
socal1976
laverfan
newballs
JuliusHMarx
Haddie-nuff
djlovesyou
HM Murdock
banbrotam
super_realist
lags72
FMKK
bogbrush
LuvSports!
Henman Bill
gboycottnut
CaledonianCraig
carrieg4
invisiblecoolers
hawkeye
User 774433
31 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis - Page 2 Empty Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis

Post by User 774433 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Golden Career Grand Slam Holder 11-time Winner Rafael Nadal has confirmed he will enter the Chile Open, which starts on 4th February.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/01/Features/Nadal-To-Play-At-Vina-del-Mar.aspx

Earlier he accepted a wildcard to return at the Brazil Open, which starts on 11th February but has not also confirmed he is playing Chile too, which starts a week earlier.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/01/Features/Nadal-Set-For-Sao-Paulo-Next-Month.aspx

This comes as a surprise considering Nadal was meant to return for the Mexican Open later in February, but he has been feeling good in training and hence pre-poned his return.

Rafael Nadal, founder of the charity 'Rafael Nadal Foundation', helps to provide an opportunity for children and adolescents with disabilities, those coming from underprivileged surroundings and those limited by an unfortunate family environment, who run the risk of being excluded from society. His three projects include: Vicente Ferrer Foundation in Antapur, India; the Special Olympics; and the Aldeas Infantiles SOS. His work in India was noted worldwide, as the Rafael Nadal foundation set up tennis schools which also provided education; for children of all ages and backgrounds.

OK

Amritia3ee

Last edited by Red on Sun 31 Mar 2013, 4:13 pm; edited 8 times in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis - Page 2 Empty Re: Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:20 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:Actually IMBL you should understand your title not just irritated me but it created a furore.
What furore?

OK

public outburst

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis - Page 2 Empty Re: Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis

Post by hawkeye Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:23 pm

Using the word heroic and Rafa close together in real world terms is obviously stretching things. But in tennis he has faced some situations that require "tennis" heroics.

For example: Losing a two sets to love lead at Wimbledon in 2008 to Roger having lost in two previous finals to him and coming back to win. Playing a deciding set rubber in the Davis cup final in front of an expectant crowd against Del Potro on clay. Going down a set and a break then turning the match around. Losing five finals in a row to Djokovic and turning that losing streak around.

And maybe a little tennis bravery will be required when he takes to the court in Brazil with the whole world waiting to see if he slips up or not.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:29 pm

hawkeye wrote:Using the word heroic and Rafa close together in real world terms is obviously stretching things. But in tennis he has faced some situations that require "tennis" heroics.

For example: Losing a two sets to love lead at Wimbledon in 2008 to Roger having lost in two previous finals to him and coming back to win. Playing a deciding set rubber in the Davis cup final in front of an expectant crowd against Del Potro on clay. Going down a set and a break then turning the match around. Losing five finals in a row to Djokovic and turning that losing streak around.

And maybe a little tennis bravery will be required when he takes to the court in Brazil with the whole world waiting to see if he slips up or not.

I don't quite agree the Wimbledon thingy as he was dominating the game right from the start, but yes the davis cup match against Del Po was an heroic performance on the given day, with Del Po blazing all guns Rafa inspired by his home fans made a stunning come back and won the game with ease in the end.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:50 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:

The only thing I didn't like in the article is the heading, we all know Nadal is a hero and hence stating it on the article headline for a simple reason of his return to action looks meaning less. Use the word hero or heroic when such a performance is attributed at that given time, certainly not here, otherwise it looks a bit more fan boyism.

Hey for once I agree ic. Nadal is coming back from a long-term injury and that is great to see but heroic? Sorry he had a knee injury not fought off life threatening cancer or something otherwise does every player who have time off for injury become heroes when they come back?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:00 pm

haha seems like you are alluding to a certain someone who fought off life threatening cancer CC Wink

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:30 pm

Good 2 see we had atleast one common observation CC Very Happy Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:51 pm

heroic discussion

I feel a true hero for starting it.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 5:51 pm

Caledonian, I am not saying he is heroic for coming back from injury.
That would indicate that I was implying that he would not be a hero if not for his injury, and that would be a very unfair claim by me.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 5:52 pm

Anyway, more good news, Nadal has now also confirmed his participation in the CHile oPen : http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/01/Features/Nadal-To-Play-At-Vina-del-Mar.aspx

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 17 Jan 2013, 6:33 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Caledonian, I am not saying he is heroic for coming back from injury.
That would indicate that I was implying that he would not be a hero if not for his injury, and that would be a very unfair claim by me.

Sorry but in that case why even use the word?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 6:38 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Caledonian, I am not saying he is heroic for coming back from injury.

It's an interesting question no doubt.
OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 17 Jan 2013, 7:01 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

OK

Is an interesting answer possible or are you in 'evade' mode?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 7:42 pm

How simple it would have been to edit the title of the article early on, and thereby lend some dignity to its content.

In fact it has since been edited from its original version - but only to inform us of the news that Nadal will not only be performing heroics in Brazil, but in Chile too.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:02 pm

lags72 wrote:

In fact it has since been edited from its original version - but only to inform us of the news that Nadal will not only be performing heroics in Brazil, but in Chile too.
Indeed it has OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:04 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

OK

Is an interesting answer possible or are you in 'evade' mode?
If Dave C can avoid giving a speech about Europe, I'll delay releasing my speech for a while too.

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:11 pm

so yes then.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:15 pm

It's not a speech we're looking for IMBL in this regard.

Just a simple answer to a simple question will be fine.

and as a reminder to our viewers, the million dollar question is :

"Why exactly is "Heroic Nadal" heroic?" ....... Headscratch)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:18 pm

Bjorn Borg was my hero.. but dont ask me why I thought that ... I just thought he was the beeeeeeez neeeeeeeez and could do no wrong notworthy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:22 pm

Why's everyone getting their knickers in a twist ? So what if he used the word heroic, maybe Rafa is a heroic figure to him in the sense that he is inspirational and therefore one of his heroes. Nothing wrong with that.

As the emancipator I am considered a heroic and indeed legendary figure in many ancient civilisations so this hero concept is nothing new for me.

Minions, you may offer your sacrifices.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:44 pm

lags72 wrote:It's not a speech we're looking for IMBL in this regard.

Just a simple answer to a simple question will be fine.

and as a reminder to our viewers, the million dollar question is :

"Why exactly is "Heroic Nadal" heroic?" ....... Headscratch)

coz IMBL said so Headscratch

@ Haddie, you framed it right Bjorn Borg was your hero, you didn't say BB is the hero in general, two different statement all together. OK

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 17 Jan 2013, 8:54 pm

emancipator wrote:Why's everyone getting their knickers in a twist ? So what if he used the word heroic, maybe Rafa is a heroic figure to him in the sense that he is inspirational and therefore one of his heroes. Nothing wrong with that.

As the emancipator I am considered a heroic and indeed legendary figure in many ancient civilisations so this hero concept is nothing new for me.

ghost

emancipator

We know you have a heroic sense of humor censored

At IMBL, nobody expects any statement from you nor any kinda apology from you as you didn't do any mistake, we are just having a fun go and not a heroic go at the article heading, we know you are little excited by your hero's return which is very much expected considering how much a die hard fan you are, we all want your hero to make a comeback quick and lets hope he makes a heroic return to the tour. Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:02 pm

IC OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:03 pm

emancipator wrote:Why's everyone getting their knickers in a twist ? So what if he used the word heroic, maybe Rafa is a heroic figure to him in the sense that he is inspirational and therefore one of his heroes. Nothing wrong with that.

ghost

emancipator
ghost

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:03 pm

But emancipator .... are you truly heroic enough to recover from an injury to your knees, such that you will once again be able to hit a tennis ball ....??

Or perhaps your legendary god-like status among 'ancient civilizations' renders you forever free of physical harm.... Erm

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:05 pm

'tis the latter oh child lags, son of 72.

Alas, it can get quite tiresome, this immortality business..

ghost

rotapicname

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:06 pm

Well lags Emanci forgot Hades is coming back from dark, so his heroic status actually in jeopardy ghost

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:17 pm

emancipator wrote:'tis the latter oh child lags, son of 72.

Alas, it can get quite tiresome, this immortality business..

ghost

rotapicname

I thought as much, emancipator, indeed it comes as no surprise.

And I suspect that there may also be truth in what you say, invisible

In ancient folklore the chant of the indigenous tribes was often heard .....

See the conquering hero comes,
Sound the trumpets, beat the drums

Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:18 pm

emancipator wrote:Minions, you may offer your sacrifices.

ghost

emancipator

I have to Mod this place - that's sacrifice enough for anyone Laugh

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 17 Jan 2013, 9:18 pm

@ lags laughing

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 18 Jan 2013, 6:48 am

Dont take it to heart IMBL they are winding you up.. if Rafa is your hero God Bless im not far behind you anything is better than having to make a sacrifice to the immortal invincible emancipator lol .. Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 19 Jan 2013, 2:40 am

Now Haddie I had enough Very Happy you completely confused me with the last statement, my sacrifice is I am rolling the beats on for free drumroll

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 19 Jan 2013, 7:50 am

Well ic Very Happy im glad you have recognised yourself to be one of EM´s minions...prostrate yourself if you must.. and be the sacrifice of the immortal one.. notworthy
In the meantime Ive got some tennis to watch By the way put those things away people are watching lol

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 8:07 pm

Was reading on Twitter that Nadal has been on court today with Robredo in Barcelona. Good to see him gearing up for his return OK

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 01 Feb 2013, 4:46 pm

By pure chance have just spotted the switch from 'Heroic' to 'Charitable' in the article's title.

Looks like it was quietly amended this past Wednesday.

In response to popular demand/derision I wonder ....? Or just plain old common sense finally kicking in ...?

Perhaps a combination of both.

A welcome change, either way.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri 01 Feb 2013, 4:51 pm

nahh dont cower down to the masses, stick to ya guns.

A favourite quote of mine from George Orwell comes to mind here.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 01 Feb 2013, 4:58 pm

I changed it because I was in an argument with Julius on another section on the forum and thought he might try to twist this article against me.
So I quickly changed it.

I'll change it back now.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:00 pm

Lags, why is anything a 'welcome' change?
I am allowed to form an opinion of any player if I so like, without anyone's permission.
If you disagree with it, I don't mind.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:01 pm

How about "Heroically charitable"? Cover it all?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:03 pm

bogbrush wrote:How about "Heroically charitable"? Cover it all?
Yes. Good idea actually OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:12 pm

IMBL - I described it as 'welcome' primarily because I was somewhat bemused* by the strange use of the word Heroic in relation to a multi--millionaire tennis player who has taken a few months off work because of a knee injury.

When I (and others IIRC) asked out of interest if you would say why he is 'heroic' there was nothing to inform us.

Would perhaps have helped solve the riddle. That's about it really......

(* even more bemused by the switch back)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:17 pm

Charitably Heroic has a slightly better ring to it (IMHO)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:30 pm

No, he's now heroically charitable, rather than charitable heroic. Makes all the difference.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:37 pm

Okay then..... see what you mean. I think..... Erm

I tend to give to charity (would happily give a lot more if I had the resources) so I'm almost starting to feel heroic .........

Just a little heroic, you understand .......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:39 pm

I was struck by something I heard recently. You judge a person's charity not by how much they give, but by how much they have left after they've given.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:42 pm

Oh dear.

I might not be Heroically Charitable after all now ...... warning

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:43 pm

...charitable...

???? Headscratch ???? .... is Nadal (the only player with a leading h2h with the other members of current Top 4) going to throw matches while playing Djokovic, Murray and Federer?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:45 pm

lags72 wrote:Oh dear.

I might not be Heroically Charitable after all now ...... warning

None of us are.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 01 Feb 2013, 6:40 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I was struck by something I heard recently. You judge a person's charity not by how much they give, but by how much they have left after they've given.
You mean we shouldn't be worshipping the latest David Beckham brand promotional activity?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 01 Feb 2013, 6:52 pm

Worshipping is a bit charged bb.

Sure, he's enhancing brand Beckham, and we all (him included !!) know as much.

But ....... when all said & done he's donating sackloads of cash (which he could easily spend on himself) to a children's charity, and I'd like to think we can give credit where credit's due.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 01 Feb 2013, 6:55 pm

lags72 wrote:Worshipping is a bit charged bb.

Sure, he's enhancing brand Beckham, and we all (him included !!) know as much.

But ....... when all said & done he's donating sackloads of cash (which he could easily spend on himself) to a children's charity, and I'd like to think we can give credit where credit's due.
He won't need credit, he'll increase his wealth more by doing this than by taking the salary. The last thing he needs is a loan.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next