The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis

+27
Danny_1982
sirfredperry
ryan86
lorus59
Spaghetti-Hans
time please
lydian
socal1976
laverfan
newballs
JuliusHMarx
Haddie-nuff
djlovesyou
HM Murdock
banbrotam
super_realist
lags72
FMKK
bogbrush
LuvSports!
Henman Bill
gboycottnut
CaledonianCraig
carrieg4
invisiblecoolers
hawkeye
User 774433
31 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis - Page 5 Empty Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis

Post by User 774433 Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Golden Career Grand Slam Holder 11-time Winner Rafael Nadal has confirmed he will enter the Chile Open, which starts on 4th February.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/01/Features/Nadal-To-Play-At-Vina-del-Mar.aspx

Earlier he accepted a wildcard to return at the Brazil Open, which starts on 11th February but has not also confirmed he is playing Chile too, which starts a week earlier.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/01/Features/Nadal-Set-For-Sao-Paulo-Next-Month.aspx

This comes as a surprise considering Nadal was meant to return for the Mexican Open later in February, but he has been feeling good in training and hence pre-poned his return.

Rafael Nadal, founder of the charity 'Rafael Nadal Foundation', helps to provide an opportunity for children and adolescents with disabilities, those coming from underprivileged surroundings and those limited by an unfortunate family environment, who run the risk of being excluded from society. His three projects include: Vicente Ferrer Foundation in Antapur, India; the Special Olympics; and the Aldeas Infantiles SOS. His work in India was noted worldwide, as the Rafael Nadal foundation set up tennis schools which also provided education; for children of all ages and backgrounds.

OK

Amritia3ee

Last edited by Red on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:13 pm; edited 8 times in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis - Page 5 Empty Re: Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis

Post by Henman Bill Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Rafa's drop shots have been FAR better than his opponent's!

I take that back. Things changed later.

Anyway 6-3 6-2 to Nadal.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis - Page 5 Empty Re: Herioc Nadal confirms return to tennis

Post by lydian Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:59 pm

6-3 6-2 (Delbonis was 2-0 up...then won 3 more games) after 7-8 months away against a relative form clay horse (won challenger last week) shows how damned hard this guy is to dislodge on this surface. Must be a nightmare facing Nadal on dirt.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Henman Bill wrote:No, and I never saw it in the media or anything. Just find the W/L records online (the source was posted on another thread recently), add 2 wins to Nadal's, and recalculate. Come back to me and see if you get the same result.

It sounds reasonable. He's on .827 with Borg (if I remember correctly), so he could go up to .828

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:01 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Henman Bill wrote:No, and I never saw it in the media or anything. Just find the W/L records online (the source was posted on another thread recently), add 2 wins to Nadal's, and recalculate. Come back to me and see if you get the same result.

It sounds reasonable. He's on .827 with Borg (if I remember correctly), so he could go up to .828
Good.
Apparently I've not been writing much Nadal-worshipping articles recently and this seems to provide a perfect platform.
HB even gifted me a fantastic template on the 'era' thread which I can use.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Can Rafa win 40 clay matches in a season? Wonder what the record is?

Vina del Mar 4 28 man tournament
Sao Paolo 4 28
Acapulco, Mexico 5 32
Monte Carlo 5 56
Barcelona 5 48
Madrid 5 56
Rome 5 56
Paris 7 128

Rafa is currently on a winning streak this season of :1
Total clay winning streak of : 13

I suppose he might skip Madrid though, it will be interesting to see anyway, could be getting ahead of myself.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Can Rafa win 40 clay matches in a season? Wonder what the record is?

Vina del Mar 4 28 man tournament
Sao Paolo 4 28
Acapulco, Mexico 5 32
Monte Carlo 5 56
Barcelona 5 48
Madrid 5 56
Rome 5 56
Paris 7 128

Rafa is currently on a winning streak this season of :1
Total clay winning streak of : 13

I suppose he might skip Madrid though, it will be interesting to see anyway, could be getting ahead of myself.
He's just coming back from injury.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:09 pm

How is Nadal Heroically charitable? does this mean Nadal throws matches? are you accusing Nadal of throwing matches? explain the title bit more clearly IMBL , I certainly didn't expect this from a die hard Nadal fan.

Last edited by invisiblecoolers on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:10 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:How is Nadal Historically charitable? does this mean Nadal throws matches? are you accusing Nadal of throwing matches? explain the title bit more clearly IMBL
Bogbrush suggested it, ask him censored

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Anyway good to have you back IC thumbsup

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:How is Nadal Historically charitable? does this mean Nadal throws matches? are you accusing Nadal of throwing matches? explain the title bit more clearly IMBL
Bogbrush suggested it, ask him censored

It should be welfare charity hero returns.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:20 pm

The charity is that he gave Delbonis 5 games... Laugh
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Good to have Rafa back.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 pm

I think Nadal is going to be pretty good when he does make it back as I have always said he is clearly an exceptional talent who has proven time and again he can recover from injuries. Lets hope one of the three rolls royces of this golden period recovers to his full talents.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 pm

lydian wrote:The charity is that he gave Delbonis 5 games... Laugh

The charity he did was actually in Wimbledon 2012 against Rosol by gifting 3 sets Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:24 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Anyway good to have you back IC thumbsup

Thx IMBL Hug , got bored of all those week era threads in the Tennis off season picard , just came to check whether anything interesting is posted.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:07 am

socal1976 wrote:Lets hope one of the three rolls royces of this golden period recovers to his full talents.

I did not realise talent also requires recovery. Wink. Surprised to see three. I am sure CC will be at your throat in the morning. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:24 am

Welcome back Rafa clap good to see you

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:27 am

laverfan wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Lets hope one of the three rolls royces of this golden period recovers to his full talents.

I did not realise talent also requires recovery. Wink. Surprised to see three. I am sure CC will be at your throat in the morning. Laugh

It's great that 606v2 has strong fans of individual players. In sport it's always nice to see a little passion. But sometimes I wonder if it is passion or just posters being deliberately pig headed and maybe even "WUMing" a little when they try to build up their favorite player to the heights of two of the all time greats. When they also get all emotional and huffy when anyone responds with the obvious (ie some of the incredible stats and standards that Federer and Nadal posses that puts them in this lofty position) it's difficult to have any sort of rational discussion without posters being "at other posters throats"... or at the very least being tempted to tease (I confess I'm sometimes a little guilty of being tempted to tease...)

Back on topic. Watched the "Heroically Charitable Nadal" in a shaky feed last night. What a fun match for the 2nd round of a small 250 tournament in Chile! Nadal certainly will have given the spectators their moneys worth. Roger may be beautiful to watch but Rafa is exciting. Something in his play but also something about how nervous he can appear whilst at the same time never holding anything back. He has experienced winning on the biggest stages but still looked pretty excited to win yesterday. Fingers crossed for his knees.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:59 am

I think his biggest fear was not being able to put on "good show" his nerves were very obvious I thought.. but once he overcame that he was fine.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Rafa is charitable because he occassionally lets Federer win on a hard court and regularly lets Djokovic win on a hard court. I'd like to see more of this kind of charity in the European clay court season.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm pleased Rafa is playing again and I don't even like his style of play. He brings something else to the top of the game and I, for one, hope he gets back to his best before too long.
It's a bit swings and roundabouts for him at the moment. He will soon have a mass of points to defend as he eases himself back in. But then, on the other hand,when he's fitter he can go into the second half of the season knowing that there is nothing to defend for eight months.
It would certainly give a season a different look if Rafa was only average during the clay court season but finished strongly at the end of the year.
As for predictions, I reckon he will be in good enough shape by RG to be favourite to take the French title again. The top guys may want him to do well by then as the better he does the better their chance of avoiding him at RG.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm not hugely keen on his style of play either. Purely because there's not much variety involved... But despite this I like watching him. What Rafa brings is huge presence, a warrior mentality and an x-factor to the sport.

I hope Agassi is wrong when he says Rafa will take a year to get back to his previous level because I think the top of the game has missed him. A Rafa at 70% still has a shot at the French open and I hope he gets enough rhythm and fitness back to reach the latter stages.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:52 pm

sirfredperry wrote:I'm pleased Rafa is playing again and I don't even like his style of play. He brings something else to the top of the game and I, for one, hope he gets back to his best before too long.
It's a bit swings and roundabouts for him at the moment. He will soon have a mass of points to defend as he eases himself back in. But then, on the other hand,when he's fitter he can go into the second half of the season knowing that there is nothing to defend for eight months.
It would certainly give a season a different look if Rafa was only average during the clay court season but finished strongly at the end of the year.
As for predictions, I reckon he will be in good enough shape by RG to be favourite to take the French title again. The top guys may want him to do well by then as the better he does the better their chance of avoiding him at RG.
Yep
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Danny82 - Echo your sentiments. I said a couple of years ago that even if Rafa lost a leg he'd probably be favourite for the French and that if he lost both legs he might only make the semis.
Rog and Andy can at least console themselves that a fit Rafa might prevent Djoko cleaning up at RG (and possibly going on to a GS this year?) or, even better for them, knock Nole out early depending on how the draw goes.
With Rog likely to be less successful this year, Andy M could benefit from Rafa carving up some of Nole's points. Few have mentioned it yet, but a good clay court season could help Murray to number one.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Rafa is charitable because he occassionally lets Federer win on a hard court and regularly lets Djokovic win on a hard court. I'd like to see more of this kind of charity in the European clay court season.

Hope he does his charity works to Murray as well in the upcoming years, I know he did a lot of times but Murray couldn't capitalize on most attempts as he was charitable too:D

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 am

Any time violations yet or is he getting nice friendly treatment on his return?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:07 am

No time violations.
Against Delbonis he didn't take that much time between serves as far as I could tell.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:17 am

hawkeye wrote:
laverfan wrote:

It's great that 606v2 has strong fans of individual players. In sport it's always nice to see a little passion. But sometimes I wonder if it is passion or just posters being deliberately pig headed and maybe even "WUMing" a little when they try to build up their favorite player to the heights of two of the all time greats. When they also get all emotional and huffy when anyone responds with the obvious (ie some of the incredible stats and standards that Federer and Nadal posses that puts them in this lofty position) it's difficult to have any sort of rational discussion without posters being "at other posters throats"... or at the very least being tempted to tease (I confess I'm sometimes a little guilty of being tempted to tease...)

Back on topic. Watched the "Heroically Charitable Nadal" in a shaky feed last night. What a fun match for the 2nd round of a small 250 tournament in Chile! Nadal certainly will have given the spectators their moneys worth. Roger may be beautiful to watch but Rafa is exciting. Something in his play but also something about how nervous he can appear whilst at the same time never holding anything back. He has experienced winning on the biggest stages but still looked pretty excited to win yesterday. Fingers crossed for his knees.

Oh come Hawkeye I set you up perfectly and you refuse to join in the fun. what is wumming about discussing the finer points of the rolls royces of this era in comparison to the yugos of the early 2000s, but I digress there is another thread for that discussion. On the subject of the heroic Nadal I think he will be better faster than what the general consensus is as long as he is healthy.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:21 am

^

Ha ha! socal. You must have noticed that sometimes I can't help but join in with the fun. Agree on your final point. If Nadal is healthy he will be fine. Has a healthy Nadal ever been beaten?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:23 am

hawkeye wrote:^

Ha ha! socal. You must have noticed that sometimes I can't help but join in with the fun. Agree on your final point. If Nadal is healthy he will be fine. Has a healthy Nadal ever been beaten?
Yes, plenty of times.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:39 am

It Must Be Love

Ha ha! I am at a loss for words.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:54 am

I even have a list of those occasions. OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:56 am

It Must Be Love wrote:I even have a list of those occasions. OK

That goes without saying Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:08 am

HE, please stop.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:14 am

Oh! Luvsports. Don't you want me to write an article inviting nominations for any matches that Rafa may have lost when not injured? I thought it might have been fun...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:18 am

"Hawkeye" and "fun", don't go hand in hand.

OHHH SNNNAAPPPPP!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:37 am

socal1976 wrote: what is wumming about discussing the finer points of the rolls royces of this era in comparison to the yugos of the early 2000s, but I digress there is another thread for that discussion.

Two such threads can be easily merged, just let us know when you want the mods to push the button. Run.

It is 'Groundhog Day' with Bill Murray... or is it 'Ghostbusters'... Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:39 am

No I don't want this thread to me merged with any other thread.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:45 am

Site rule - "Post in English. If you wish to post in a language other than English, a translation to English is required"

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:48 am

It Must Be Love wrote:No I don't want this thread to me merged with any other thread.

NP. IMBL. thumbsup

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:50 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Site rule - "Post in English. If you wish to post in a language other than English, a translation to English is required"
Yeah... because the translation is really really hard isn't it...

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:00 pm

something about a camping trip in the film hercules confirming that he will attend a regatta in chile?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 pm

LuvSports! wrote:something about a camping trip in the film hercules confirming that he will attend a regatta in chile?
Nearly there.
Think Nadal...

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:02 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Site rule - "Post in English. If you wish to post in a language other than English, a translation to English is required"

So you're refusing to follow the site rules as stated by the Admins, which you agreed to follow when you joined?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:03 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:

So you're refusing to follow the site rules as stated by the Admins, which you agreed to follow when you joined?
Yes I am. That's correct.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 pm

It matters not if it is in Spanish or English it is still a ridiculous title picard

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:06 pm

something about nadal on a camping trip in the film hercules confirming that he will attend a regatta in chile?

aced that one! BOOOOMMM

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:06 pm

LuvSports! wrote:something about nadal on a camping trip in the film hercules confirming that he will attend a regatta in chile?

aced that one! BOOOOMMM
Yes, that's correct.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:07 pm

Oh dear. Please change the title back to English in accordance with site rules.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Oh dear. Please change the title back to English in accordance with site rules.
Wow... hardline moderating.
I thought 'legendario' and 'herioco' is pretty obvious to see what they mean, but if you want to be pednatic then ok.

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next