The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad

+59
nganboy
Luckless Pedestrian
OzT
The Great Aukster
funnyExiledScot
nathan
charliehesketh
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
pioden gorllewin
Geordie
Jimpy
Breadvan
Cyril
Biltong
geoff998rugby
100%beefy
Duty281
kingjohn7
LondonTiger
lostinwales
Notch
Manu's Boxing Coach
dragonbreath
hodge
wayne
thebluesmancometh
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
aucklandlaurie
Cumbrian
Glas a du
mystiroakey
HammerofThunor
AlastairW
majesticimperialman
mckay1402
EnglishReign
gregortree
BigTrevsbigmac
fa0019
Morgannwg
Toadfish
ChequeredJersey
t1000advancedprototype
maestegmafia
RubyGuby
B91212
ultra
Scrumpy
Rugby Fan
Impossible Standards
Bathman_in_London
bluestonevedder
Barney McGrew did it
rodders
RuggerRadge2611
Triangulation
Exiledinborders
63 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad - Page 3 Empty Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad

Post by Exiledinborders Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

If this headline is true then Gatland should be sacked as he has shown himself unfit for the job. Players should be picked on form irrespective of country.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/britishandirishlionsrugby/9865151/Warren-Gatland-will-limit-the-number-of-English-players-in-his-Lions-squad-to-avoid-pressure.html

Last edited by Exiledinborders on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad - Page 3 Empty Re: Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad

Post by dragonbreath Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:01 pm

Care doesn't drink any more, I'm pretty sure he's still off the booze[/quote]

Oh NO that means he will get peed really quickly. Should be a laugh

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad - Page 3 Empty Re: Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad

Post by EnglishReign Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:01 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:Anyone see HERSH made it onto Guscott's Q&A today?

Laugh
Link? I'm actually intrigued.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21433677

Typical HERSH bias and a serious response from his hero.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:02 pm

Morgannwg wrote:

Laugh

He asks an empty question, basically a statement, and insults Sexton. Guscott ignores most of it anyway-

"Hi Jerry, surely Farrell and Chris Robshaw are playing themselves into the Lions team if fit? Ireland fly-half Jonny Sexton looks average to me - he is very similar to all the other fly-halves around the northern hemisphere. England youngster Farrell has the Jonny Wilkinson factor if you ask me. HERSH"

"Hi HERSH, Farrell has done really well and it's great to see a player so young - he's still only 21 - perform with such confidence. Sexton still gets my vote for the Lions number 10 jersey because he has more of a running game than Farrell and gives the team more options. "

ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:04 pm

hearsh was spot on.. OF is quality and looks to be on another level

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:05 pm

Ah man, I expected more fireworks than that. How long do you think HERSH will last before Jerry bans him from his Q&A forum?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:07 pm

I suspect Jeremy Guscott doesn't actually read (and potentially doesn't answer) his Q&A column
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:08 pm

The question is that, were the events that occurred in NZ with England caused by personnel or the environment they were in? I think Lancaster has shown that in the right environment these English lads can thrive and have an excellent team ethic.

Gatlands worries are not ridiculous but whether he should be ousting them in the public domain is another question. Already there are a few qualms about the overt Welsh influence on this Lions tour and comments like this will only increase these fears, especially to the English. Comments about limiting the English contingent and they're not always popular with other countries dont help.

Last edited by Manu's Boxing Coach on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:15 pm

He could limit the english players and take these instead: Tuilangi, Barritt, Waldrom, Botha, Vunipolo, Hartley and Corbisiero thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:22 pm

I got banned off Jerrys Q&A forum last years six nations, he couldn't handle the hard facts.

Anyway what did HERSH do to get banned form this forum?

I always thought he didn't use verbal abuse to any other posters,well i didn't see him do it.
He twisted truths and liked an argument but beyond that he did seem like a real fan of rugby.
I can think of a few people on this forum who seem to get away with a lot and seem to be armchair fans.

Last edited by viewtothegym on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:25 pm; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:23 pm

RubyGuby wrote:He could limit the english players and take these instead: Tuilangi, Barritt, Waldrom, Botha, Vunipolo, Hartley and Corbisiero thumbsup
Laugh Love it drumroll

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:28 pm

Manu

He doesn't actually say he will limit English participation though!

HERSH is trying to make a name for himself, Sexton's average and Farells on another level, and what exactly is the 'Wilkinson factor'? Will Farell score a drop goal and then go on to... Earn a fortune in France?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:30 pm

viewtothegym wrote:I got banned off Jerrys Q&A forum last years six nations, he couldn't handle the hard facts.

chin
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:31 pm

Didn't Brian Moore claim that Farrell was Dan Carteresqus in his commentary in the Ireland game?
Erm

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:32 pm

Sorry bluesman got that from the telegraph. But there is still an implication. I do still think this shouldnt have been spouted in the press though.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:37 pm

Ye I can see a point to keep it quiet, but when has Gatland ever thought that?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:39 pm

It's just a Gatland grenade, he is more mischievous than a bored 8 year old.

Im pretty sure he laughs to himself when he sits in his car to drive home from a press conference.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:40 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Didn't Brian Moore claim that Farrell was Dan Carteresqus in his commentary in the Ireland game?
Erm

Is he better or worse than Lyn Jones? The guy who thinks Ryan Bevington will tour with the Lions and that AWJ should start versus Italy after 20 minutes of rugby against Ulster's reserve brigade.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:41 pm

I copied a HERSH quote from the BBC onto the eirebilly thread. Basically he said that the mods banned him because of the amount of complaints even though they didnt have a problem with him themselves.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:42 pm

Bevington may well tour, Earls did!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:01 pm

lostinwales wrote:I copied a HERSH quote from the BBC onto the eirebilly thread. Basically he said that the mods banned him because of the amount of complaints even though they didnt have a problem with him themselves.

Pretty much what Pete said on some previous thread. Never understood the leniancy towards hershy though. And his comments post Hore/Davies were low and unacceptable.

thebluesmancometh wrote:Bevington may well tour, Earls did!

I doubt it. He only looks the part against sub-standard teams like Namibia. Him and another LH should stay away from international duty for a while and work on their scrummaging.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:03 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:There seems a bit of unfair Manu bashing. The guy jumped off a boat after the tournament was over, for which he apologised. He wasn't pictured in any of the drunken fun (which given he was 18/19 and enjoying his first pro contract probably required considerable constraint). He's had a clean record since and to those that have met him is a soft spoken gentleman who has a lot of time for fans (including sone running late for an LV cup game that he picked up and gave a lift to the ground).

http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35819

If Gatland uses the fact he plays for England not to select the most explosive attacking talent of his generation then Mr Gatland is a fool.

It would have been illegal for Manu Tuilagi to drink in NZ, the age limit is 20 not 18 like in the UK.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:06 pm

No it's not, I got drunk in NZ when I was 19
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:08 pm

Perhaps you just need to be 20 to purchase it from liquer stores, a bit like the ruling in parts of USA and Canada.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:11 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:No it's not, I got drunk in NZ when I was 19

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10830588

"MPs vote to keep drinking age at 18".

The touring party was always going to be based on the Welsh squad. This is just Gatland paving the way for that in case England manage an unlikely GS.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:15 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:No it's not, I got drunk in NZ when I was 19

CJ you're right, they changed the law in 1999 from 20 to 18. I didnt know... Showing your age there mate, you young whipper snapper.

http://www.alac.org.nz/legislation-policy/sale-liquor-act/law-over-18s

The Law for Over 18s

On 1 December 1999, the alcohol purchasing age in New Zealand became 18.

This means anyone who is aged 18 years or over and shows approved ID can go into licensed premises, and buy and drink alcohol.

Licensed premises include hotels, pubs, restaurants, clubs, bottle stores, supermarkets, cafes and nightclubs. They are expected to act according to the rules for licensed premises.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:22 pm

English supporters in only reading a headline shocker.

Still, at least this and Warburton not starting next weekend has successfully stopped a few of you moaning about his favouritism for a few days.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:24 pm

Risca Rev wrote:English supporters in only reading a headline shocker.

Still, at least this and Warburton not starting next weekend has successfully stopped a few of you moaning about his favouritism for a few days.

Seems to be everyones favourite favouritism too...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:31 pm

mystiroakey wrote:got to be honest .. SL dont let any off em go.. this has proved to be a total sham, lions is out dated.

Just thinking back to the fact that france will have played 19 more games v NZ after this summer confirms the lions is no good any more.. england need that extra tour and all that..

You been saying that you dont rate France, and think they are generally overrated all the time. Lions is better for England test side thumbsup

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:39 pm

KingJohn sir...

France are allways overrated.. Even when they play rubbish they are rated by scared fans that they will bite back next game.. When they play well, they will only get better and better.

Its doesnt mean they arnt good, just overrated.

I am not sure how the lions is a good thing..

All the nations have beaten aus within the last couple of years.. well er bar wales(cough cough)

whats the point in this lions thingy- bar money!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:43 pm

I wasnt disagreeing with you about france (even though I sort of do but thats not relevant), just saying maybe cos they dont have the Lions they not as good as Eng.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:45 pm

I know that dude.. I just moved on- because i drew a blank from your rhetiorcal statement..

Why do you disagree?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:55 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Gatland is actually racist isnt he..

this is a crazy thing to say.. He is singling out one nations players and applying judgement..

I am not joking he is flipping racist.. England just boycott it!

I wouldn't mind if we did in all fairness. The Lions was fine in the amateur era, in the pro era it's a rather outdated concept. Too much rugby happening these days to worry about a relatively meaningless tour. On another note, what happens if Scotland gets independence? Will it be the British and Irish and Scottish Lions? Laugh

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:00 pm

Well, its a bit unfair for you to ask(which basically helps cement your argument) because I cant give a good reason. The present side i would have to agree with you, more flat track bullies than great side. But over the years I cant help but have those(illogical) stars in my eyes with them. I think its because when they do play well, they seem so much better than anyone else*, even if its only for 50 mins in a game.
*as with most rugby arguments im not including NZ because they are ridiculous.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:01 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
viewtothegym wrote:Didn't Brian Moore claim that Farrell was Dan Carteresqus in his commentary in the Ireland game?
Erm

Is he better or worse than Lyn Jones? The guy who thinks Ryan Bevington will tour with the Lions and that AWJ should start versus Italy after 20 minutes of rugby against Ulster's reserve brigade.

Ulsters Reserve Brigade vs the Ospreys contained the following:

A Trimble
L Marshall
P Wallace
R Pienaar
T Court
J Muller

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:02 pm

I have said from the very begining that now Warren Gatland is in charge of the Lions i would expect too see a lot of Wales players in the squad.

Players that should not be there because of lack of form, not being fully fit.

The best players only from each of the four nation that make up the lions should tour. And not players from his own country (WALES) that is, just because he is head coach of Wales.

And that he feels he owes a debt of Gratitude towards.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:03 pm

With the Lions, I am a fan(actually find it my fav time in rugby). I know you arent so was just trying to win you over with a tenuous(dont even know if this is the right word) argument to convert you.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:07 pm

kingjohn7 wrote:Well, its a bit unfair for you to ask(which basically helps cement your argument) because I cant give a good reason. The present side i would have to agree with you, more flat track bullies than great side. But over the years I cant help but have those(illogical) stars in my eyes with them. I think its because when they do play well, they seem so much better than anyone else*, even if its only for 50 mins in a game.
*as with most rugby arguments im not including NZ because they are ridiculous.

agreed that NZ are just ridiculas and shouldnt really be compared to the rest of us Sad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:13 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I have said from the very begining that now Warren Gatland is in charge of the Lions i would expect too see a lot of Wales players in the squad.

The best players only from each of the four nation that make up the lions should tour. And not players from his own country (WALES) that is, just because he is head coach of Wales.

What if Wales win this Six Nations Championship?

Then it would be right to pick them in as they would obviously be some of the best players around. GS one year and championship the next....!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:39 pm

Erm
Really, Brian said that? He should know better. Wouldn't be accurate, right mates?
Carter wasn't playing 10 for his country when only 20 years old like Farrell.........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:55 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I have said from the very begining that now Warren Gatland is in charge of the Lions i would expect too see a lot of Wales players in the squad.

I think the Henry Lions made that mistake and I don't think Gatland will...but he is at his usual mind games and you wonder if this is to upset England's crack at the Slam! I think he knows that the Aussie press will take the 2011 RWC as a starting point for a press campaign against the Lions but because of the nature of the side the Lions are less susceptible to press intrusion (assuming Haskell isn't picked) because by definition it is a touring side.

Its a shame because frankly the England team is outstanding right now, they play intelligent rugby and bar a few weaknesses in the back 3 are a fine side, their success has lead most speculators to correctly assume that there will be a strong contingent from England and of course Gatland has to manage that expectation and in his own inimitable way, have some fun with it

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:57 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

What if Wales win this Six Nations Championship?

Then it would be right to pick them in as they would obviously be some of the best players around. GS one year and championship the next....!

There's one of the usual suspects I mentioned earlier. Gatland's Pipe Bomb didn't have the desired effect in the end then :/

Maj, there's no point worrying or stressing yourself out till the squad is announced. Try concentrating on something else, like getting a social life or girlfriend rather than worrying about something you can't influence (about 2/3 months in advance too).

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 12 Feb 2013, 11:24 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
Erm

Ulsters Reserve Brigade vs the Ospreys contained the following:

A Trimble
L Marshall
P Wallace
R Pienaar
T Court
J Muller

Yeah but what's your point? That Bevington actually has a case and Lyn is correct?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 11:28 pm

The more i think about gatlands comments the more I actually understand his problem..

I dont think he should talk in the way he has to press.. But i can kind of understand his concerns

He hasnt beaten aus!! he is crapping himself, he wants to win. He is scared, he is mumbling and talking about every concern..

However what he needs to understand is simple.. He cant beat them with wales.. So just play the best team and get on with it. stop worrying about stuff that is insignificant if he wins..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 13 Feb 2013, 9:11 am

Beavington will be no where near the Lions

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 13 Feb 2013, 9:14 am

I always thought you pick a squad from the best players available, not those who would create the least media attention.

Utterly daft my dear fellow.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Feb 2013, 9:17 am

mystiroakey wrote:The more i think about gatlands comments the more I actually understand his problem..

I dont think he should talk in the way he has to press.. But i can kind of understand his concerns

He hasnt beaten aus!! he is crapping himself, he wants to win. He is scared, he is mumbling and talking about every concern..

However what he needs to understand is simple.. He cant beat them with wales.. So just play the best team and get on with it. stop worrying about stuff that is insignificant if he wins..

He has beaten them with Wales by the way; just a point of information for you per say thumbsup
and I don't need you to trawl out the list of games

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 13 Feb 2013, 9:23 am

RubyGuby wrote:He could limit the english players and take these instead: Tuilangi, Barritt, Waldrom, Botha, Vunipolo, Hartley and Corbisiero thumbsup
He could pick plenty of English players from the Welsh side instead.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 13 Feb 2013, 9:37 am

What’s Gatland like as a man?

As he really doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed by some of the comments he comes out with.
Thinking this and saying it to the media are two totally different things.

I accept that some of the English players might be immature and plain daft at times (I think we know who they are!) and may cause unwanted attention but this should be based on rugby and rugby alone.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 13 Feb 2013, 9:44 am

Morgannwg wrote:

Laugh

Yes HERSH does post occasionally over on the Beeb Rugby pages / comments section.
HERSH as a Bath man, would want to chat with Guscott for suer. I haven't checked, but no doubt he is there if you want to have a look.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 13 Feb 2013, 9:53 am

viewtothegym wrote:
Laugh Love it drumroll

People in glass houses.................

The England team that started against Wales had 14 born and bred Englishmen

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next