The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad

+59
nganboy
Luckless Pedestrian
OzT
The Great Aukster
funnyExiledScot
nathan
charliehesketh
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
pioden gorllewin
Geordie
Jimpy
Breadvan
Cyril
Biltong
geoff998rugby
100%beefy
Duty281
kingjohn7
LondonTiger
lostinwales
Notch
Manu's Boxing Coach
dragonbreath
hodge
wayne
thebluesmancometh
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
aucklandlaurie
Cumbrian
Glas a du
mystiroakey
HammerofThunor
AlastairW
majesticimperialman
mckay1402
EnglishReign
gregortree
BigTrevsbigmac
fa0019
Morgannwg
Toadfish
ChequeredJersey
t1000advancedprototype
maestegmafia
RubyGuby
B91212
ultra
Scrumpy
Rugby Fan
Impossible Standards
Bathman_in_London
bluestonevedder
Barney McGrew did it
rodders
RuggerRadge2611
Triangulation
Exiledinborders
63 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad - Page 2 Empty Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad

Post by Exiledinborders Tue 12 Feb 2013, 4:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

If this headline is true then Gatland should be sacked as he has shown himself unfit for the job. Players should be picked on form irrespective of country.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/britishandirishlionsrugby/9865151/Warren-Gatland-will-limit-the-number-of-English-players-in-his-Lions-squad-to-avoid-pressure.html

Last edited by Exiledinborders on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad - Page 2 Empty Re: Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:47 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
mckay1402 wrote:There was no mention in that article about not picking English players.

No there wasn't. Absolutely none. It's a completely made up headline. He's they need to be careful as the media make more of a fuss about English players. He hasn't even suggested they won't get picked if they were a bit wild on a previous. He even said he liked that. He just said they need to be careful due to increased media focus and possible stings/setups.

Read what he actually said people

+1. Well done hammer. At least someone actually read the article rather than the headline.

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad - Page 2 Empty Re: Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:48 pm

good point Mystir,

If I was a home nations coach I would regard the Lions as nothing but a costly distraction for my team members.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:48 pm

Glas a du wrote:So he puts pressure on individual England players to make sure they are among the select few. Genius.

The fewer the better. I'm sure we can find a few replacement coaches as well. In fact, he could be genius enough to pick none of the current international squad and go for Andy Foode; that'd be a proper blindside! He's had international experience, good attitude, behaves himself (apart from at the all-you-can-eat) so ticks all the boxes he's looking for.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:50 pm

Gatland is actually racist isnt he..

this is a crazy thing to say.. He is singling out one nations players and applying judgement..

I am not joking he is flipping racist.. England just boycott it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:51 pm

"No there wasn't. Absolutely none. It's a completely made up headline. He's they need to be careful as the media make more of a fuss about English players"

i am sorry but i think you need to read the article again.. there is serious judgement going on. None of it needed to be said..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:55 pm

I agree with Uncle Warren.
Too many English in any one place makes me nervous.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:59 pm

He's they need to be careful as the media make more of a fuss about English players"

you have hit the nail on the head in the most ironic way possible.. allready gatland makes a fuss in the media about english players.. The guy is a true numpty.

Right i am not talking about this anymore- i hope he picks none..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:01 pm

Barney McGrew did it wrote:
gregortree wrote:
t1000advancedprototype wrote:What the Welsh did in the French hotel in 2007 was pretty mental.

Someone put a sheep in Dwayne Peels room amongst other things.

Nothing wrong there so long as she was a pretty one... even though she was French.

Damn cheek, that was Mrs Peel
Sorry, my mistake, maaaaaam

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:01 pm

There seems a bit of unfair Manu bashing. The guy jumped off a boat after the tournament was over, for which he apologised. He wasn't pictured in any of the drunken fun (which given he was 18/19 and enjoying his first pro contract probably required considerable constraint). He's had a clean record since and to those that have met him is a soft spoken gentleman who has a lot of time for fans (including sone running late for an LV cup game that he picked up and gave a lift to the ground).

http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35819

If Gatland uses the fact he plays for England not to select the most explosive attacking talent of his generation then Mr Gatland is a fool.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:03 pm

What The Fudge?!

In what way has he said he will limit the number of Englishmen? He has merely stated facts that English players tend to generate more media attention than the others, that England made themselves look foolish in NZ, and that a similar press will be gunning for them on landing in Oz!!

Anyone taking that headline seriously has a screw loose!

But Gatland did do a similar thing when he first took the reigns, commented on Ospreys recent poor behaviour (xmas party) and how the welsh media tend to look at them as the big money bad guys of Welsh rugby, then does anyone know how many he picked in the first game?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:06 pm

Why did he say anything though? Fancy telling a newspaper that the English get a lot of media attention.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:07 pm

Bluesman!!

.. he has just started it up in the media!! If he sees it as a problem why the heck start it. and make it worse, or create something that should never ever be a flipping problem on tour-!. The guy needs a labotomy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:08 pm

Bluesman,

No, I dont know how many he picked, the question though is, did they behave themselves?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:10 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I agree with Uncle Warren.
Too many English in any one place makes me nervous.

Don't goto Australia then, it's full of em!

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:10 pm

He picked 14 'sprays and one other Welsh bloke as I recall.
That sure wrongfooted the meejer.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:11 pm

Bluesman he picked 13 /15 to start their first match under his stewardship, if I recall.
One non-Osprey was Martyn Williams, can't recall the other.

The English garner more attention because the local wimmens love us.

Last edited by doctor_grey on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:11 pm

13 out of 15. And yes they did.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:13 pm

He selected 13 Ospreys in the starting 15 and they beat England first up I believe OK (2008) he went on to win a GS too!

He has taken an interview, the subject of English players has come up and he's talked about the media hype England get more so than any other home nation, would you prefer he replies with 'no comment' to any issue that arises.

Myster how can you say the media won't be a problem on tour, it was a small issue 4 years ago but in NZ it was crazy, and there were plenty of documented problems with the press. Maybe Gatland foresee's another media circus and wants all the players to know any poopie won't be stood for, probably not the worst idea considering how the English team traveled in the RWC.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:14 pm

The 2 non Ospreys were Martyn Williams and Gethin Jenkins incase anyones wondering. And Martyn he dragged out of retirement, kinds hints at Wilkinson possibly with all the stuff he's saying about smash and grab, not building for the future etc...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:16 pm

Unless Gats is just playing mind games again Rolling Eyes trying to de-rail the sweet chariot.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:17 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Bluesman he picked 13 /15 to start their first match under his stewardship, if I recall.
One non-Osprey was Martyn Williams, can't recall the other.

The English garner more attention because the local wimmens love us.

Marky Mark Jones.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:18 pm

what you mean tell the media and world about it- err he is conributing to the problem he forsees!!

And why wouldnt he just tell them face to face like a man rather than possibly winding them up..

If he hasnt seen the change in the england players under lancaster as well then he isnt doing his job at all!!

Talk about tainting them with old habbits when they have shown to turn the corner in the best possible way.. jeas i am flabbergasted tbh!

I must calm down.. coffee

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:19 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:The 2 non Ospreys were Martyn Williams and Gethin Jenkins incase anyones wondering. And Martyn he dragged out of retirement, kinds hints at Wilkinson possibly with all the stuff he's saying about smash and grab, not building for the future etc...

Geff came on 2nd half for Adam.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:20 pm

So now he has put the mejeer and the Aussies off the scent, and bearing in mind it worked for him last time, he will field 13 Englishmen for his first test. You read it here first.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:22 pm

*WUMing hat on*

Is that 13 including or not including George North?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:24 pm

Geth switched sides in the 2nd half, with James coming on didn't he, Geth started LH?

Unless I'm wrong and Stephen Jones was the other non Osprey? But I thought Hook played 10...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:24 pm

Mystir
In fairness, Gatland hasnt had the opportunity to observe the English players "On tour" under Lancaster, has he?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:24 pm

Or Mark JOnes on the wing?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:25 pm

Anyone know if Geth was the 2nd non Osprey in 2008? Or was it Mark or Stephen Jones...

That'll really bug me!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:26 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Geth switched sides in the 2nd half, with James coming on didn't he, Geth started LH?

Unless I'm wrong and Stephen Jones was the other non Osprey? But I thought Hook played 10...

Wales: Byrne; M. Jones, Parker, Henson, S. Williams; Hook, Phillips; A. Jones, Bennett, D. Jones, A W Jones, Gough, J. Thomas, M. Williams, R. Jones (capt).Replacements: Popham for J. Thomas (13),Shanklin for Parker (46), Jenkins for A. Jones (46), Rees for Bennett (58), Evans for A. Jones (78), .Not Used: Cooper, S. Jones.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:28 pm

I'm the rain man of rugby facts and stats.

Take me to Vegas and I'll win big for you.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:29 pm

With any luck, the Aussie and tabloid meejer will think North & Cuthbert are Welsh.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:30 pm

gregortree wrote:With any luck, the Aussie and tabloid meejer will think North & Cuthbert are Welsh.

They're too big to be Welsh.

Both are from Krypton.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:31 pm

gregortree wrote:With any luck, the Aussie and tabloid meejer will think North & Cuthbert are Welsh.

They're too big to be Welsh.

Both are from Krypton.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:31 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: Mystir
In fairness, Gatland hasnt had the opportunity to observe the English players "On tour" under Lancaster, has he?

well they toured in SA- any problems?? secondly i think we all have seen a big difference in the english attitude on tour and at home! Its his job btw- he is paid to do this, why should we know more about the players than him!!

And whats all this- "it could cause problems because english arnt liked due to history".. firstly he shouldnt say things like that- and what the heck does he want a nice tea party or something.

he should have kept his mouth shut..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:32 pm

t1000

You are right, Jones was the 2nd guy... bravo OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:32 pm

Anyone see HERSH made it onto Guscott's Q&A today?

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:33 pm

I will never forgive Woodward for omitting Henson and Shane Williams from the first test.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:35 pm

mister

SA reported no real problems in the media, but then the media weren't as viscious as they were in NZ, the kiwi press tend to be out to get the English and Lions players.

The RWC aside last time the lions were there the media were absolute vultures from the off, and I am sure a number will be in Oz ready to do the same again!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:37 pm

If the aussies want to behave like that then so flipping what!

what does it matter.. oh poor gatland- will he be put under pressure if he has to many english- awww didums!! come on.. what is he talking about!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:39 pm

He's talking about he has a job to do and it won't be made easier if a few silly boys act the goats, only one nation has done so recently on foreign soil, and it happens to be the nation that the host nation we are going to despises the most.

It's not rocket science mister.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:41 pm

no your right its not rocket science-

well we could make comparisons-- rockets dont move unless fuel is added. He has just done that

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:44 pm

No he hasn't, he's responded to an issue we all know is coming, and one we've all adressed.

People have mentioned Care and Phillips out drinking together, Tuilagi's ability to stay on board etc etc

If you think the media won't be baying for blood you've got another thing coming, they want and will try to get a NZ horror show ala Englands world cup. They would love nothing more than an English GS, a load of English players to travel and then to be caught out in a number of dodgy situations and get dumped 3 - 0, that is a best case scenario for the Oz media.

Gatland has already played down the idea that ANYONE will misbehave, and has mentioned that the English boys will be closely looked at morwe than most (incase they didn't already know)

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:49 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:What The Fudge?!

In what way has he said he will limit the number of Englishmen? He has merely stated facts that English players tend to generate more media attention than the others, that England made themselves look foolish in NZ, and that a similar press will be gunning for them on landing in Oz!!

Anyone taking that headline seriously has a screw loose!

But Gatland did do a similar thing when he first took the reigns, commented on Ospreys recent poor behaviour (xmas party) and how the welsh media tend to look at them as the big money bad guys of Welsh rugby, then does anyone know how many he picked in the first game?
Bluesman, the 13 Ospreys played against England in2008, the Christmas party debacle didn't occur until Dec 2011, don't let the facts get in the way of your argument eh.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:51 pm

Would Gatland even say anything if Wales had won say all their autumn internationals and were top of the 6 nations?

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:52 pm

fa0019 wrote:Morgannwg

Out of interest... do you think someone else with a different plan would have done any better in 2005???

SCW original plan was only really used in the first test.... which was the closest as a contest and a scoreline.

Who would have featured and who didn't. I can only think of a few players myself.... Henson, Williams and Williams whom I would have started in place of others.... I thought this at the time too... not just hindsight.

SCW is one of the few men who have actually won a test match in NZ...... since 2000 you can list the number of coaches on one hand.

He had a plan, it didn't work. But prior to 05 he had quite a lot of success with it so other than a few positional choices (i.e. those listed above) I can't see how that tour could have been run any different.

Graham Henry made just as big mistakes.... choosing 10 welsh players in the tour (his own players) when they came bottom of the 6N that year with a bunch of hasbeens such as Gibbs, Jenkins and Young included.... much like SCW did in 05 I guess.

Personally I always thought 01 was a bigger loss then 05. In 01 we should have won, we had the players but the management of these players was poor. In 05 we were always well behind the all blacks.

I think anyone could have did better than Sir Clive, as they wouldn't have taken 25 (or however many it was) English players when most of them were well past it.

I guess you have a point, but had the best players gone and perhaps a smaller squad which means also taking less Irish and Welsh, the Lions would have built a better team. I don't remember the 2001 tour. I was too young and care-free back then.

In terms of preparation, the 2009 tour was the best. They were just unlucky not to get the series.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:54 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:No he hasn't, he's responded to an issue we all know is coming, and one we've all adressed.

People have mentioned Care and Phillips out drinking together, Tuilagi's ability to stay on board etc etc

If you think the media won't be baying for blood you've got another thing coming, they want and will try to get a NZ horror show ala Englands world cup. They would love nothing more than an English GS, a load of English players to travel and then to be caught out in a number of dodgy situations and get dumped 3 - 0, that is a best case scenario for the Oz media.

Gatland has already played down the idea that ANYONE will misbehave, and has mentioned that the English boys will be closely looked at morwe than most (incase they didn't already know)

Care doesn't drink any more, I'm pretty sure he's still off the booze
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:57 pm

I see the English media are talking lies as perusal, Gatland will pick the best players who will gel together.
Lets also remember the squad will be large and he will let everyone have a go and prove they can compete, unlike Clive Woodward who had his first choice 15 picked before the 2005 six nations.

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:59 pm

Warren does love a wind up and all the little fish are biting. He does make life difficult for hinself

Last edited by dragonbreath on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:59 pm

EnglishReign wrote:Anyone see HERSH made it onto Guscott's Q&A today?

Laugh
Link? I'm actually intrigued.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next