The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad

+59
nganboy
Luckless Pedestrian
OzT
The Great Aukster
funnyExiledScot
nathan
charliehesketh
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
pioden gorllewin
Geordie
Jimpy
Breadvan
Cyril
Biltong
geoff998rugby
100%beefy
Duty281
kingjohn7
LondonTiger
lostinwales
Notch
Manu's Boxing Coach
dragonbreath
hodge
wayne
thebluesmancometh
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
aucklandlaurie
Cumbrian
Glas a du
mystiroakey
HammerofThunor
AlastairW
majesticimperialman
mckay1402
EnglishReign
gregortree
BigTrevsbigmac
fa0019
Morgannwg
Toadfish
ChequeredJersey
t1000advancedprototype
maestegmafia
RubyGuby
B91212
ultra
Scrumpy
Rugby Fan
Impossible Standards
Bathman_in_London
bluestonevedder
Barney McGrew did it
rodders
RuggerRadge2611
Triangulation
Exiledinborders
63 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad - Page 4 Empty Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad

Post by Exiledinborders Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 16:03

First topic message reminder :

If this headline is true then Gatland should be sacked as he has shown himself unfit for the job. Players should be picked on form irrespective of country.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/britishandirishlionsrugby/9865151/Warren-Gatland-will-limit-the-number-of-English-players-in-his-Lions-squad-to-avoid-pressure.html

Last edited by Exiledinborders on Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 20:04; edited 1 time in total

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad - Page 4 Empty Re: Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad

Post by Biltong Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 10:14

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:He could limit the english players and take these instead: Tuilangi, Barritt, Waldrom, Botha, Vunipolo, Hartley and Corbisiero thumbsup
He could pick plenty of English players from the Welsh side instead.
I suspect both these comments belong on the bickering tread, don't you think? Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad - Page 4 Empty Re: Warren Gatland will limit the number of English players in his Lions squad

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 10:16

Tread? You from Dublin mate ? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 10:19

This isn't the bickering thread? It's so difficult to tell these days.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 10:29

A bit daft from Gatland tbh. I don't think it matters to the Aus media who tours from which country. Yes there might be some hacks that will try and dig up some of the overblown nonsense from the World cup but the players should be savvy enough to deflect quetions of that nature. This Lions tour will, i hope, be managed a lot better than Engs world cup campaign was..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 10:32

I would quite happily see no English players tour with the Lions. That way none of them will be getting needlessly injured ahead of an already busy season in this anachronistic waste of time, whilst getting the ritualistic hiding off of a SH team.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 10:40

Great! Lets take them on with a Rabo nations team! We could have Parisse then!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 10:48

Jimpy wrote:I would quite happily see no English players tour with the Lions...

Whilst im very pro the lions...if thats the stance they want to take, f they dont want our players thats absolutely fine....it means we can send a nice mixed squad of current first teamers and youngsters down to Argentina, continue our progression whilst also giving some of the critical first teamers a well deserved rest and summer off....

However i do believe this has been taken out of context and i would be amazed if there werent a few Englishmen there...certainly the likes of Robshaw, Launchbury, Cole etc..

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 10:56

RubyGuby wrote:Tread? You from Dublin mate ? thumbsup
I had a dry mouth, so whilst thinking of the word thread my tongue got stuck, so I typed it that way. Yahoo
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 10:59

Gatlands biggest mistake now is that even if he picks more english than any other- he could get abuse from fans for years on that he still limited the english players for wussy reasons(he cant deal with pressure!!) rather than skill sets

He really hasnt thought this one out...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 10:59

I have a question which i challenge all of you to try to answer. It may well be that Welsh posters and possibly Irish ones too, who have had more experience of Gatland and his modus operandi are especially well placed to answer................

What was Gatland hoping to achieve by voicing his concerns about England players and their relationship with the media?

What was his goal?

It is one thing to think it, and quite another to voice it.

Why did he not keep his counsel?

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 11:09

Gatland is inscrutable, like Confucius. Deep. Very, very deep.
Probably just winding people.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 11:12

doc- he certainly isnt- just very dim!

and if he wants to wind his own players up then great- why is he coaching the lions?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 11:15

no idea, mate.
This is one of those really weird things.
Don't get it.
But we might as well have fun with it, though.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 11:18

If he takes anything other than the best players available he is an idiot.

Woodward did that and did a lot of damage

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 11:27

And over the years Gatland has shown he is not an idiot.
He also has shown an occasional bit of foot-in-mouth disease.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 12:00

Gatland is craftily preparing the ground to leave out Cuthbert & North as being a bit too English.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 12:05

Waldrom, Barritt, Tuilagi.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 12:08

gregortree wrote:Gatland is craftily preparing the ground to leave out Cuthbert & North as being a bit too English.

Hmmm

I think that poor joke has been made a number of times. If you knew more about the players and where they were born/their parents nationalities you could be a lot cleverer with your humour....!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 12:26

hasn't gatland also recently come out in the media and said he'd pick 15 englishmen for the lions, if it meant winning? I wouldn't read too much into his latest comments.

By his own admission be becomes "mischievousness" with the press when he's bored:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/9377440.stm

think his latest comments are nothing more than that.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 12:31

maestegmafia wrote:
gregortree wrote:Gatland is craftily preparing the ground to leave out Cuthbert & North as being a bit too English.

Hmmm

I think that poor joke has been made a number of times. If you knew more about the players and where they were born/their parents nationalities you could be a lot cleverer with your humour....!

Maesteg,
So true, and not clever, and I don't know. The whole issue of 'country' is such a zoo I do not pretend to understand tbh. 'English qualified' brickbats are chucked about, and I just shrug, and say oh well. (English are so mongrel, I'm qualified for Gibraltar, and maybe Scotland).
I don't think a scientific DNA definition of nationhood will be discovered any time soon, so it will remain a source of WUMs & humour on 606.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 12:42

Morgannwg wrote:Waldrom, Barritt, Tuilagi.
???

Lloyd George, Camus, Bogart - what is this a random name generator

Context please Headscratch

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 12:45

Afoa, Pienaar, Payne.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 12:56

come on everyone can play along as well - no idea what the rules are though Very Happy

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:03

maestegmafia wrote:

Hmmm

I think it was subtle 'joke'..

btw...Can this forum have grannygate alarm or emoticon anytime someone from this side of the bridge mentions Englands overseas born players? thumbsup
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:16

We are all aware he's distanced himself from the statements and sentiments in that article right?

All he said was that at the moment it looks like he will have a strong contingent of England players, and that the Aussie media will most likely focus on them to disrupt the squad.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:16

Morg maest hersh

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by charliehesketh Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:17

Gatland really does say the most unfortunate things from time to time, which lets down his no doubt substantial ability as a coach. Difficult to see how this will have any positive effect, the fallout will probably be negative.

Lets hope someone close to him helps him concentrate on the rugby, and maybe avoid too many interviews !

charliehesketh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:17

Mornington Crescent!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:22

mystiroakey wrote:Morg maest hersh

for Lions management team, yes !

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:23

Update in the rugby paper.

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-breaking-news/7341/gatland-will-pick-lions-on-form-not-nationality/

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:24

mystiroakey wrote:Morg maest hersh
#

Now thers's a law firm in the making...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:25

This never would have happened had he had Alistair Campbell by his side!

My take is that it was a needless and unwise thing to see, the aftermath and reaction to the statements if proof alone, however I do not believe for one second Gatland will take anything other than the best squad of players in his eyes.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:26

Yes the telegraph reported that he told them it was absolute bulls.... , as can be seen by any who actually read the quotes in the first place.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:29

RubyGuby wrote:He could limit the english players and take these instead: Tuilangi, Barritt, Waldrom, Botha, Vunipolo, Hartley and Corbisiero thumbsup

Ruby: "that’s absolute b*******,” Gatland told The Daily Telegraph.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:31

I think Gatland is considering 4 of the english men for the oranges at half time - At the moment Ashton and Hartley are lined up as mid week dirt tracker orange fetchers and apparently he's undecided about the test team orangeers thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:34

Ruby, Laugh I can only report what Gatland thinks of your ideas.
(He is an avid reader of 606 apparently).

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:34

RubyGuby wrote:I think Gatland is considering 4 of the english men for the oranges at half time - At the moment Ashton and Hartley are lined up as mid week dirt tracker orange fetchers and apparently he's undecided about the test team orangeers thumbsup
Mike Phillips was going to hand out the oranges, but his service was too slow.

Boom! Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:36

Gatland is very adept in front of a crowd of players
... and very inept in front of a crowd of journalists.
Why would he be worried about the foreign media targetting English players when he provides a barn door sized target in the shape of himself?

His ill-considered comments have made a rod for his back - however many English players he picks:
1. It will not be enough in some peoples eyes and they can cite this media prejudice as the reason for under-representation
or 2. It will be far too many in other peoples eyes, as he is then pandering to the English outcry against this media prejudice.

His comments about picking 15 English starters are ridiculous and shows he hasn't the first notion of what the Lions are about. Even if they were the "best" rugby players (whatever that means) there is no way he would ever start a complete England team as a Lions team. The TV and the marketeers just wouldn't stand for it and that is what the Lions are really all about.

This is just another Gatland Gaffe in a long list that shows how ill-equipped he is to be leading the Lions.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:37

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:I think Gatland is considering 4 of the english men for the oranges at half time - At the moment Ashton and Hartley are lined up as mid week dirt tracker orange fetchers and apparently he's undecided about the test team orangeers thumbsup

Boom! Smile

thumbsup

Unfortunately he'll be playing as gatland loves him thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:40

Unlikely Phillipps will start IMO...his tendency to be over involved in the fringes slows ball and encourages the opposition to draw him into an arm wrestle...I think Care and Youngs with their much quicker delivery will be preferred

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:44

The Aussies & their media have never forgiven England's dads army for knocking them out of RWC in 2003,2007, so I can sort of see Warren's point. Aussie media does have previous with England. But this tough old Kiwi should not be 'bothered' by a few colonial hacks.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:47

100%beefy wrote:Unlikely Phillipps will start IMO...his tendency to be over involved in the fringes slows ball and encourages the opposition to draw him into an arm wrestle...I think Care and Youngs with their much quicker delivery will be preferred

Gatland surely won't pick players who aren't starters for their country, so Care won't go unless he ousts Youngs?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:51

Wouldnt he? its happened in the past. Theyve even taken uncapped players on previous tours.

Youngs is currently ahead of Care in the england pecking order but they both keep swapping that, neither has nailed it down over the last 3 years or so theyve been competing for it. It could be that Care plays his socks off at the season end and impresses in training and in the warm ups. It may be that Youngs gets caught having a shower in the privacy of his own room and the Aussie media goes mental over it making his position in the team untenable.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:53

The Great Aukster wrote:
100%beefy wrote:Unlikely Phillipps will start IMO...his tendency to be over involved in the fringes slows ball and encourages the opposition to draw him into an arm wrestle...I think Care and Youngs with their much quicker delivery will be preferred

Gatland surely won't pick players who aren't starters for their country, so Care won't go unless he ousts Youngs?

Interesting but people like Sheridan and Wilko are in the mix and you don't have to be even playing international rugby to be selected according to Gatland, however his latest retreat in the Telegraph suggest that position might also have changed.

I wonder if he could be the first Lions coach to be fired before the tour...perhaps this is a cunning WRU plan to get him back!

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:55

I can confirm that Hersh is still alive and well. Picking Gusgott's brain according to the most recent Q&A:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21433677

Last edited by bluestonevedder on Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 14:04; edited 1 time in total

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:58

Aukster, depends on squad nos and backup, but he will probably take best 3 SHs' from B&I.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 13:58

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:

Boom! Smile

Ahh maybe, but the orange cart was going backwards and he did stand up to those pesky limes pretty well.....

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 14:01

100%beefy wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:

Interesting but people like Sheridan and Wilko are in the mix and you don't have to be even playing international rugby to be selected according to Gatland, however his latest retreat in the Telegraph suggest that position might also have changed.

I wonder if he could be the first Lions coach to be fired before the tour...perhaps this is a cunning WRU plan to get him back!

There's no such thing as a cunning WRU plan.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 14:03

100%beefy wrote:Interesting but people like Sheridan and Wilko are in the mix and you don't have to be even playing international rugby to be selected according to Gatland, however his latest retreat in the Telegraph suggest that position might also have changed.

That implies that the best players aren't always picked then. Sheridan and Wilkinson aren't even on the England bench, so is Gatland admitting that the Lions are just a collection of his choice rather than the de facto "best" players available.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 13 Feb 2013 - 14:06

The Great Aukster wrote:
100%beefy wrote:Interesting but people like Sheridan and Wilko are in the mix and you don't have to be even playing international rugby to be selected according to Gatland, however his latest retreat in the Telegraph suggest that position might also have changed.

That implies that the best players aren't always picked then. Sheridan and Wilkinson aren't even on the England bench, so is Gatland admitting that the Lions are just a collection of his choice rather than the de facto "best" players available.

They can't be on the bench if they play in France. Lancasters Law.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next