The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather v Guerrero

+5
BoxingFan88
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Seanusarrilius
davidemore
DaveVDK
9 posters

Go down

Mayweather v Guerrero Empty Mayweather v Guerrero

Post by DaveVDK Tue 12 Feb 2013, 5:35 pm

Boxrec have Guerrero down for Floyd's next fight, wondering if anyone else had heard anything about this?

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Mayweather v Guerrero Empty Re: Mayweather v Guerrero

Post by davidemore Tue 12 Feb 2013, 5:42 pm

Good spot!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 12 Feb 2013, 5:45 pm

Yes, Mayweather touted Alexander as a way to make Guerrero take less money, or so I hear. May should do this and retire. He has no appetite for dangerous opponents these days

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:01 pm

I concur. He should win this and retire. If he doesn't stop spending though i doubt he will. The guy probably spends millions year on private jets. And i doubt he had the sense to buy one!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:05 pm

"a year" and "he's" lol. I'm bad today.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:13 pm

I think the only fight around for him that could gain interest or add anything to his legacy is Alvarez now to be honest, wouldn't mind seeing him face a Trout v Alvarez winner at the end of the year, although this is seriously wishful thinking

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 12 Feb 2013, 6:36 pm

Hope the Canelo fight happen's as it will be HUGE and given how boxing support seems to be waning, a huge fight like Floyd-Alvarez can only be good for the sport. Plus the added advantage that Canelo is improving and has the power, size, skill and hand speed to pull off a huge win and passing the torch late 2013

A Guerrero fight isn't going to set pulses racing but I would rather watch Mayweather against Guerrero than either Alexander (failed in all his big fights) or Garcia (a lightwelter trading off his power)

Tbh I just love to watch Floyd box so I want to see him in the ring as much as possible

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 12 Feb 2013, 10:11 pm

Boxrec had Donaire vs Rigo penciled in for ages, wouldn't read to much into it.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:02 am

i actually think he has a fair chance (compared to the rest of the challengers) especially if mayweather engages as much as he did with cotto, it will be interesting to see how mayweather will deal with the rough tactics, especially if gurrero is allowed to get away with holding the head and pulling it down (which he was against berto), and gurrero has the chin to see it through for a full 12 rounds.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:59 am

eddyfightfan wrote:i actually think he has a fair chance (compared to the rest of the challengers) especially if mayweather engages as much as he did with cotto, it will be interesting to see how mayweather will deal with the rough tactics, especially if gurrero is allowed to get away with holding the head and pulling it down (which he was against berto), and gurrero has the chin to see it through for a full 12 rounds.

Agree with this which is why I'm not sure the fight will happen.

Guerrero has a great engine, solid chin and most importantly has a great mind set for a fighter, he wont come into this thinking he's the underdog he'll come to win. I'll be a bit surprised if the fight with Guerrero happens because Mayweather has kept clear of fighters who could outwork him in recent years and this is something Guerrero is capable of doing. Fights with Margarito, Williams and Pacquiao (guys with good chins who throw 800+ punches a fight) didn't happen and it wouldn't shock me if Guerrero doesn't either as he shares some of the same attributes. The way I see it is there is 2 ways Floyd can lose right now:

1. Fight someone with massive physical advantages like Alvarez or Martinez
2. Be outworked by someone with a great engine.

Alvarez or Martinez are fights I'd love to see but as Floyd is comfortable at Welterweight, 36 years old and the PPV draw and these two are big Light Middleweights/Small Middleweights these fights are only being touted as people really want to see Mayweather push himself and possibly lose by giving up huge physical advantages that he otherwise doesn't need to, these won't happen and Floyd shouldn't be expected to fight these guys.

I'd love the Guerrero fight to happen as the more I think about it the more chance I think Guerrero has and a win for Floyd does a lot more for him than fights with Alexander or Garcia as these guys stylistically possess no threat to Floyd even at this advanced stage of his career when he is on the slide. All that being said I'd still make Floyd a favourite against Guerrero if the fight happens but that's just because he is so damn good.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:51 pm

floyd definetly has the skill to box 12 perfect rounds and comfortably beat gurrero, but either he decided to trade, or cotto managed to pull him into his type of fight, either way that happens with gurrero and im calling the upset.
i think floyd will take the fight, due to lack of options if anything else. cant see him stepping any higher than WW now, which is a shame, alvarez, or better still martinez would add a huge amount to his legacy, but i dont think he'll risk it, i can see him cashing in off manny for his last fight, which would be criminal imo.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:37 pm

Guerrero lacks the power or speed to have a chanc rid winning but I agree that his chin, boxing skills and workrate will make it tight if Mayweathers stand alike he did vs Cotto

Guerrero is too open to the straight right though and Mayweather has the footwork to stop Guerrero just walking him to the ropes like he did Berto

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Thu 14 Feb 2013, 2:40 am

He will fight Guerrero then Alvarez and I agree pacman fight will be both there last fights but I think that's always been the case as there was to much to lose for the loser if it happened when I should've unless they made it a triolgy or something

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 9:45 am

Seanusarrilius wrote:Yes, Mayweather touted Alexander as a way to make Guerrero take less money, or so I hear. May should do this and retire. He has no appetite for dangerous opponents these days

That's what Hearn said. Wonder if the Brook fight may be back on...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down